Author Topic: MIKE MENTZER: MR. NORTH AMERICA 1977  (Read 11641 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: MIKE MENTZER: MR. NORTH AMERICA 1977
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2021, 03:07:22 AM »
You would have to buy the system that Tony Robbins endorsed with his program Get The Edge:7 Day Program To Transform Your Life.  It was produced in the year 2000.  Robbins had a long interview with Sisco & Little where they made ridiculous claims.

Hah! I remember Tony Robbins from back in the 80s at UCLA. He was peddling some class about positive thinking or something along those lines and at the end of the class, he got everyone to walk on hot coals as proof of his theories. He gave you some phrase you had to keep repeating while walking as it will put your body in the proper state (or an excuse if you burn your feet that you didn't recite it right). I was a physics student at the time and knew it was just a trick walked over it effortlessly making the mistake of chanting, "I believe in science." Tony claimed I was using the same principles as he was just substituted "science" for his God.

But he's done very, very well. A real leader and an inspirational speaker. Good for him. I'm legit jealous.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2021, 03:43:28 AM »
You would have to buy the system that Tony Robbins endorsed with his program Get The Edge:7 Day Program To Transform Your Life.  It was produced in the year 2000.  Robbins had a long interview with Sisco & Little where they made ridiculous claims.

It's not all here, but here's some stuff they did with Robbins -

1 -

2 -

Robbins now -

John Little's rebranding -

There's elements of HIT, Super Slow, and even Isometrics in there.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2021, 03:45:38 AM »
It's not all here, but here's some stuff they did with Robbins -

1 -

2 -

Robbins now -

John Little's rebranding -

There's elements of HIT, Super Slow, and even Isometrics in there.

Thank. I'll check it out. I remember when I went through my "Super Slow" phase.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2021, 03:50:34 AM »
Thanks BB.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2021, 03:55:20 AM »
Train hard, eat well, take steroids and you grow

Gains come from hard work, consistency, lifting heavy, not fancy training programs

In what order should Getbiggers do the above?

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2021, 03:49:59 PM »
In what order should Getbiggers do the above?

For us, it's not so much a matter of the order but of the number of times each component is performed.  Drugs are just the finishing touche' for Getbiggers...
;D ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »
For us, it's not so much a matter of the order but of the number of times each component is performed.  Drugs are just the finishing touche' for Getbiggers...
;D ;D

True getbiggers look amazing without drugs. It's just the final 5%.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2021, 11:40:30 AM »
Mentzer had some interesting ideas on nutrition. Not that I agree on all of them but still.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2021, 12:03:56 PM »
Should Mentzer have won the 1980 Olympia? 13 of the competitors casted their votes...

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2021, 12:11:00 PM »
Tony Robbins has hella GH jaw, haha.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2021, 12:18:32 PM »
Tony Robbins has hella GH jaw, haha.

He has an excess of GH because of a tumor on his pituitary gland. It's also why he grew so tall.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2021, 03:54:10 PM »
Robbins has a Doctorate of Bullsh*tting.

Fantastic salesman.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2022, 07:17:42 AM »
Here's another one from Mr. Perfect Score.

Life advice from Mike Mentzer. Re. transcending and becoming better more put together person  8)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2022, 07:22:20 AM »
What happened to StrawIdiot who started this thread?  Did he go the way of Mike Mentzer?

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2022, 08:23:37 AM »
Mike Mentzer was great but he was no Arnold

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2022, 02:14:18 AM »
Robbins has a Doctorate of Bullsh*tting.

Fantastic salesman.
NLP works.

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2022, 02:54:17 AM »
Mike seemed to have well average IQ, he was more handsome and rugged then the Arnold, as a native, much better vocabulary and grasp of the language, but Arnold was at least as smart as he was and posessed phenomenal social skills and mental stability.
Arnold was too much for Mike, too bad he couldn't grasp that.
Arnold was a highly all-around gifted person with perfect bodybuilding genetics who pursued bodybuilding, there is no other example.
There were good looking, smart, charismatic, driven bodybuilders but Arnold was the only one all combined.
Arnold's greatness is, he made it seem easy, he made his roles look easy, he made being a guest to a late night show and look not silly when the very smart and seen it all host wanted to make fool of you easy.
When I look Arnold, his "once" greatness makes me feel depressed  >:(
It should be very frusturating for Mentzer, he was a demigod in bodybuilding circles and he had every right to become the successor of Arnold bodybuilding wise but he missed mental aspect of it.
I guess it wouldn't be possible to sell bodybuilding to mainstream without being as easygoing and witty as Arnold.
Joe Weider being as smart and cunning as he is, failed miserably with his too serious approach, Ben Weider was even worse, "wannabe Jewish aristocrat  :'("

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2022, 03:09:31 AM »
Mike seemed to have well average IQ, he was more handsome and rugged then the Arnold, as a native, much better vocabulary and grasp of the language, but Arnold was at least as smart as he was and posessed phenomenal social skills and mental stability.
Arnold was a highly all-around gifted person with perfect bodybuilding genetics who pursued bodybuilding, there is no other example.
There were good looking, smart, charismatic, driven bodybuilders but Arnold was the only one all combined.
Arnold's greatness is, he made it seem easy, he made his roles look easy, he made being a guest to a late night show and look not silly when the very smart and seen it all host wanted to make fool of you easy.
It should be very frusturating for Mentzer, he was a demigod in bodybuilding circles and he had every right to become the successor of Arnold bodybuilding wise but he missed mental aspect of it.
I guess it wouldn't be possible to sell bodybuilding to mainstream without being as easygoing and witty as Arnold.
Joe Weider being as smart and cunning as he is, failed miserably with his too serious approach, Ben Weider was even worse, "wannabe Jewish aristocrat  :'("
Mike wasn't nearly as smart as he and his fans seem to think.

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2022, 03:20:06 AM »
Mike wasn't nearly as smart as he and his fans seem to think.
I can speculate Arnold is 2 standart deviations above avarage which is 130 and over, combined with high EQ and work ethic he could easily toy with Mentzer.
Mentzer's vocabulary and his untapped potential to be medical student suggests me he was an intelligent person, but intelligence alone doesn't take you far, especially if you are unstable and lack resilience as Mentzer.
I recall reading Lance Dreher once suggested he will be a greater bodybuilder than Arnold,
Dreher has one of the very best arms of all time, he has amazing torso (he lacked height though)
He was humbled not much later, Dreher seems like a smart fellow, but I guess he wasn't consumed with his dreams of grandeur as the late Menzter, lucky for him, he moved on.
Tom Platz also wanted to imitate Arnold, he was charismatic, likeable, and marketable, but Arnold is really one in a billion person, not a person you would want to compare yourself with.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2022, 04:48:30 AM »
Mike seemed to me to be the true superstar of bodybuilding as he had the looks and interesting ideas.

Putting his ideas into practice did not really work for me but I will always fondly remember reading his books.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2022, 05:57:14 AM »
They are polar opposite personality types. Mentzer was introspective and introverted. He had few friends and prefered having it that way. Only befriending select few. And he was more interested in ideas.

Arnold was a people person. Non-introspective I'd say really, but intelligent yes. Making many friends and connections along the way. Ego- and success driven. Strong drive in general. And ofcourse, incredible genetics for both body and looks. This combination took him a long way.

This is why Dorian also didn't like Arnold, he was more like Mentzer in his personality.

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2022, 06:29:59 AM »
They are polar opposite personality types. Mentzer was introspective and introverted. He had few friends and prefered having it that way. Only befriending select few. And he was more interested in ideas.

Arnold was a people person. Non-introspective I'd say really, but intelligent yes. Making many friends and connections along the way. Ego- and success driven. Strong drive in general. And ofcourse, incredible genetics for both body and looks. This combination took him a long way.

This is why Dorian also didn't like Arnold, he was more like Mentzer in his personality.
Very well put, thanks.
Arnold as outgoing and showy as he was, also had  a special ability to connect with people and able to cultivate life long relations, I don't think he was a user and manipulator as people made him to be.
He had it all but still have all the time for his fans, he enjoys human contact, not only for the sake of adulation, he genuinely enjoys interacting with people.
He is a textbook extrovert, like self sustaining reactor, he re-energizes with human contact. His social schedule would burnout a normal soul, let alone an introvert.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2022, 01:41:58 AM »
I can speculate Arnold is 2 standart deviations above avarage which is 130 and over, combined with high EQ and work ethic he could easily toy with Mentzer.
Mentzer's vocabulary and his untapped potential to be medical student suggests me he was an intelligent person, but intelligence alone doesn't take you far, especially if you are unstable and lack resilience as Mentzer.
I recall reading Lance Dreher once suggested he will be a greater bodybuilder than Arnold,
Dreher has one of the very best arms of all time, he has amazing torso (he lacked height though)
He was humbled not much later, Dreher seems like a smart fellow, but I guess he wasn't consumed with his dreams of grandeur as the late Menzter, lucky for him, he moved on.
Tom Platz also wanted to imitate Arnold, he was charismatic, likeable, and marketable, but Arnold is really one in a billion person, not a person you would want to compare yourself with.
The fact that Mentzer believed HIT was a far superior way of training against all scientific evidence is proof he wasn't very smart. He was a pseudo intellectual person who thought speaking of philosophy and science made him smart. He dropped out of med school but even if he graduated it wouldn't have proven anything as there are dumb doctors.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2022, 03:23:00 AM »
A true account of Mentzer.

"I met Mentzer around 1979-80 while I was in high school. He was really ascending the BB hierarchy and becoming a big deal. He had just won one of those early ‘Night of Champions’ contest.

He appeared at a local sporting goods store, not sure exactly what his reasons (read contractual obligations) were but he appeared in athletic shorts and a ‘Weider’ T-shirt. There was a relatively big group there and he took questions. Someone asked him to ‘flex’ and he did a front double bi with his t-shirt on.

They asked if he would take his t-shirt off and he said “they are not paying me enough to do that”. I asked him how big his legs were and he said “big” (I was expecting a measurement). At the conclusion as he walked out he muttered “I gotta get out of this town”. He acted like he did not want to be there, never smiled that I could recall.

I had heard from the mags that he was arrogant and my conclusion from having met him was that he was. He was not particularly warm to those who came to see him.

In contrast I met Franco Columbu about the same time also at a sporting goods store. It was right after he retireed and after his biography ‘Coming On Strong’ came out. It was also after he retired and after he trashed his knee in the World’s Strongest Man contest.

He was in Street clothes and people asked him to take his shirt off and pose. Franco was very reluctanct, not because he was not being paid, but because he was so out of shape but he obliged and was very gracious. They then asked him to do a feat of strength so they assembled one of those really crappy multi-benches and loaded 350 on the bar. Franco pumped out 20 reps on the bench without a warmup! People loved him."

Mentzer really was a sorry loser.

I see John Little is still milking Mentzer's name for whatever it's worth...and that's not much.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2022, 03:48:26 AM »
I met Mentzer when I was about  eighteen or nineteen I think.....asked him how he trained and all he said was "I had the right parents".

I thought to myself what a weird dude as I had no idea at that time about genetics as far as bodybuilding was concerned.