Author Topic: Partial reps, pin training and other different stuff  (Read 2803 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Partial reps, pin training and other different stuff
« on: November 20, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
Seems to be a bit of confusion about partial rep training. I'm repeating  something I wrote a while back, which may (or may not) throw some light on the subject. Partial training can be very rewarding. But, like any other system, it's not the be all or end all of serious training methods.  The standard full ROM workout does have a certain value, but can limit a muscles potential to reach it's max strength and development. Partial reps can offer another alternatives  to boost training result even more. Both systems can be used for different training cycles and different purposes. Even in the same workout. You may be shocked as to how strong you really are if never into serious partial rep, short range  training. Of the size you may gain.

Just to note: Adjustable pin settings was one of  the original concept when PR training was first introduced, way back in the day. It was used in partnership with partial rep training. Giving brief run down about pins here applied to partials..

Muscles have a three phase function, start, middle and finish. Acting as gears, like in a car, to transfer the strength from the weakest to strongest position. Taking the bench for example, all three phases are not trained to their max with regular BB, DB or machine training (except for most Nautilus equipment). Am referring to the start position, from off the chests, as the strongest position of  the lockout above.  If your starting the bench from above and than lowering it to the chest you will be usually relying on the rebound effect off the chest. Which for the most part does not require the full involvement of the lower muscle phase.

With partial pin training the lower phase will be worked as hard as it is capable of, because you will be pushing max weight for a short distance. Same holds true for the middle and top phases of the lift. This refers to most all push & pull exerciees: bench, chins, presses, squats, etc.

With the example of the bench: at the lowest start position set the pins so the bar is slightly touching the chest. Set the other two pins to about 3 to 4 inches high, so the bar will hit and stop against them. The middle start position will have the bar resting on the same position as the top pins that were used to stop the bar from the lower position. Set the other two pins to about 4 to 5 inches high, so the bar will stop against them on the way up. The top position will start from the pin settings of the stops for the middle position. You can set two top pins about an inch or two to stop a complete lockout if you wish. But some guy's do a complete lockout at the top position without any pins/stops in the way.

In any position, when hitting the stops (pins), hold there for 1 or 2 seconds than back down to the start position. Affect more strength fiber that way. Set the pins to your liking, to find the correct stop. Some guy's have short, some long, arms, etc.  Used on chins, pulls, press, etc with good affect.

For power, 3 to 5 reps. And 2 to 4 sets.  For BB'ing, than 8 to 10reos & 2 to 4 sets. Though this program is usually geared for power training, it can produce muscle mass. The ego may be flatten a bit when using the lower starting position. Because it is a very weak position for most guy's Can also be said for the middle range. But not to worry, you will get much stronger in a short period of time.  Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Partial reps and pin training
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »
Chuck Sipes used pin training for his big bench. In the article I read if I have this straight from memory he started using a quarter rep from the top with heavy weight.  Next cycle it was half reps. Next cycle 3/4 reps and finally full reps. When I tried this in my 20's it really messed up my shoulder but I could see how it could work for many to increase their bench.  My shoulders/pec got so tight it was like a spring. I don't see how having tight restrictive joints for a big bench is a good thing for an athlete. Most Olympic lifters won't bench for that very reason. I have to dig out that old Ironman mag from the 70's about his bench training again. I saw it on the internet but it was definitely different from the article I read in the old Ironman.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Partial reps and pin training
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 04:56:57 AM »

He says below they do increase strength. Talks about range of motion and joint injury.

This guy doesn't like partials.