Author Topic: In days after January 6, McCarthy said Trump admitted bearing some responsibilit  (Read 323 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Click the link and you'll hear McCarthy in his own words

In days after January 6, McCarthy said Trump admitted bearing some responsibility for Capitol attack
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said publicly and privately in the days following the deadly riots at the US Capitol that President Donald Trump admitted personally bearing some responsibility for the attack -- one of several reasons why the select committee on January 6 wants to hear from the House's top Republican.

McCarthy shared the details of his conversation with Trump in a little-noticed local radio interview done a week after the insurrection, in which McCarthy said he supported a committee to investigate the attack and supported censuring then-President Trump. While McCarthy made similar comments about supporting censure and a bipartisan commission in other places around the same time, the radio interview -- in which McCarthy has harsh words for Trump and strongly condemns the violent attack -- provides yet another example of how the California Republican has shifted his tone in the year since the insurrection.

"I say he has responsibility," McCarthy said on KERN, a local radio station in Bakersfield, California, on January 12 of last year. "He told me personally that he does have some responsibility. I think a lot of people do."

McCarthy shared a similar account last year with House Republicans during a private conference call a day earlier, according to multiple sources on the call. That call was reported on at the time, but CNN obtained a more detailed readout of the call on Thursday.
"Let me be clear to you and I have been very clear to the President. He bears responsibility for his words and actions. No if ands or buts," McCarthy told House Republicans on January 11,

2021, according to the readout obtained by CNN from a source listening to the call. "I asked him personally today if he holds responsibility for what happened. If he feels bad about what happened. He told me he does have some responsibility for what happened. But he needs to acknowledge that."

Trump has never publicly accepted any responsibility for the attack and McCarthy said on Thursday during a press conference he couldn't remember telling House Republicans last year that Trump took responsibility for the attack.

In the local radio interview, McCarthy said he urged the President throughout a phone call during the Capitol attack to call in the National Guard and go on television to call off the rioters.

https://soundcloud.com/louis-amestoy/kevin-mccarthy-explains-impeachment-vote?utm_source=www.cnn.com&utm_campaign=wtshare&utm_medium=widget&utm_content=https%253A%252F%252Fsoundcloud.com%252Flouis-amestoy%252Fkevin-mccarthy-explains-impeachment-vote

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/14/politics/kfile-kevin-mccarthy-donald-trump-january-6/index.html