Author Topic: Coolio died  (Read 3158 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Coolio died
« on: September 28, 2022, 07:12:59 PM »
Damn.  I just had Gangsta Paradise come up on my playlist at the gym today while getting in a pre hurricane workout.

---
Coolio, the rapper best known for his chart-topping single “Gangsta’s Paradise,” has died at the age of 59, according to TMZ.

Citing the rapper’s longtime manager, TMZ reports that Coolio died from cardiac arrest on Wednesday. At the time of his death, he was at a friend’s house, his manager said. After the rapper went to the bathroom and never returned, his body was found laying on the floor. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Released in 1995, the Stevie Wonder-sampling, L.V.-featuring “Gangsta’s Paradise” was an ominous yet infectious document of gangster life, a darker offering from a man with a pretty lighthearted persona (if his iconic hair wasn’t proof enough, Coolio’s earlier output had built him a reputation for bringing a humorous perspective to his tales of violence). The track spent three weeks at No. 1 and earned a Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance. The song was also famously parodied by “Weird Al” Yankovic, who reimagined it as “Amish Paradise.”

Coolio’s other notable songs included “Fantastic Voyage” and “1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin’ New)” — both of which cracked the top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100.

Coolio was born Artis Leon Ivey Jr. on August 1st, 1963. After moving from Monessen, Pennsylvania to Compton, California, he came up in the West Coast rap scene of the 1980s and ‘90s, releasing his first single, “Whatcha Gonna Do?”, in 1987. In 1991, he joined WC and the Maad Circle, appearing on their debut album Ain’t a Damn Thang Changed.

In 1994, Coolio signed to Tommy Boy Records. The same year, he released his solo debut, It Takes a Thief, home to the platinum single “Fantastic Voyage.” “Gangsta’s Paradise” arrived in 1995 and became one of hip-hop’s rawest, most enduring singles.

Following the success of “Gangsta’s Paradise,” Coolio wrote “Aw, Here It Goes!” as the theme song for Nickelodeon’s Kenan & Kel, and joined the likes of Biz Markie, Wu-Tang Clan, and Fat Joe for America Is Dying Slowly, a compilation album for the AIDS-awareness group Red Hot Organization.

Coolio also had a number of acting roles throughout his career, featuring in television shows like Sabrina the Teenage Witch, The Nanny, and Gravity Falls and becoming a fixture of 2000s reality TV by appearing on Celebrity Big Brother and Wife Swap. His eighth and final studio album was 2009’s From the Bottom 2 the Top.

Just two weeks prior to his death, Coolio performed at the 2022 edition of Riot Fest in Chicago.
---

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Coolio died
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 07:33:59 PM »

RIP.

tacobender

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 10:07:10 PM »
Sucks rip playa

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:08:44 PM »
He was great in Training Day.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 11:54:19 PM »
RIP

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 12:03:20 AM »
Now living in a gangstas paradise.
X

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 01:12:22 AM »
RIP.

"Rapper died from shot" has an whole new meaning these days.

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 01:26:25 AM »
PIP

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 02:12:00 AM »
Big hits during the 90s.

Inject in peace brother.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 02:46:07 AM »
Amish Paradise was a great song. PIP playa

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 03:03:12 AM »
Saw him in an airport once. Crazy, I didn’t realize how old he was, seems like just yesterday he was “twenty-fo”. Makes me feel old.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 03:43:58 AM »
Is Skee-lo still alive? Man, I sure hope so

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 03:52:49 AM »
Better to live like a lion and die at 59 than die like a lamb at 80.

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 04:01:27 AM »
Better to live like a lion and die at 59 than die like a lamb at 80.
I wonder if that was the last thing he thought or if it was “Oh shit”

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 04:03:27 AM »
Saw him in an airport once. Crazy, I didn’t realize how old he was, seems like just yesterday he was “twenty-fo”. Makes me feel old.

I once almost got beat up by Flava Flav in a Sears. Flav does not like to hear "Yeah boy!!!!!!!" while buying an oven :-\.

Coolio always looked like he was having a rough day, even when he was happy.

SweetDaddySiki

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 06:36:02 AM »

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 06:39:23 AM »
One of the best Hip Hop one hit  wonders......  he owned 1995 with gansta Paradise .

RIP.

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Valley of death

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 07:03:53 AM »
Amish Paradise was a great song. PIP playa
He was butthurt over Weird Al for that.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2022, 07:06:45 AM »

RIP G!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2022, 07:13:45 AM »
Wonder if his posse was mad at weird al
A

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 07:45:11 AM »
Bodybuilding related because he got in shape working out with dexter Jackson.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2022, 07:50:13 AM »
I once almost got beat up by Flava Flav in a Sears. Flav does not like to hear "Yeah boy!!!!!!!" while buying an oven :-\.

Coolio always looked like he was having a rough day, even when he was happy.

Did he need the oven to get "baked"?
Your powerful bodybuilding punches would have destroyed that pesky clown.

SweetDaddySiki

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2022, 08:18:29 AM »
I prefer Al Gore's paradise:   

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2022, 12:30:23 PM »
Did he need the oven to get "baked"?
Your powerful bodybuilding punches would have destroyed that pesky clown.

Ha, it happened when me and my buddy were like 12, 13. Flav was off to the side negotiating a deal, and at first we were like "Wow, it's Flava Flav." But then for some reason we decided to mess with him, so we hid in the isle across from where he was, and while he was talking and looking over the features, we'd wait for him to pause, then shout that exaggerated "Yeah Boy" he'd do at them. then run to a different isle and watch while he tried to figure out where it came from.

Well the first time he gets a laugh out of it, and goes "Who said that?", the second time he ignores it. Well me and my buddy are retards, and think this is the greatest thing ever, so we go back a 3rd time. This time he gets pissed and goes "Who ever the fuck is doing that, stop." He doesn't yell it, but you could he hear it a decent ways off, and you could see a few other people snickering. But this is a hood  Sears, they're not going to call for a security guard, that's probably busy chasing shoplifters, etc... upstairs, and the salesman wants the sale so he's just going on with the spiel.

Well, we go back for a fourth time, and his Spidey sense must've been tingling and caught a glimpse of us, cause he low speed chases us from appliances into hardware. I get caught, but I guess since I was young or maybe he didn't want to beat up a tubby honky, he just got up in my face and daddy lectured me. 

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2022, 12:38:24 PM »
Damn.  I just had Gangsta Paradise come up on my playlist at the gym today while getting in a pre hurricane workout.

---
Coolio, the rapper best known for his chart-topping single “Gangsta’s Paradise,” has died at the age of 59, according to TMZ.

Citing the rapper’s longtime manager, TMZ reports that Coolio died from cardiac arrest on Wednesday. At the time of his death, he was at a friend’s house, his manager said. After the rapper went to the bathroom and never returned, his body was found laying on the floor. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Released in 1995, the Stevie Wonder-sampling, L.V.-featuring “Gangsta’s Paradise” was an ominous yet infectious document of gangster life, a darker offering from a man with a pretty lighthearted persona (if his iconic hair wasn’t proof enough, Coolio’s earlier output had built him a reputation for bringing a humorous perspective to his tales of violence). The track spent three weeks at No. 1 and earned a Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance. The song was also famously parodied by “Weird Al” Yankovic, who reimagined it as “Amish Paradise.”

Coolio’s other notable songs included “Fantastic Voyage” and “1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin’ New)” — both of which cracked the top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100.

Coolio was born Artis Leon Ivey Jr. on August 1st, 1963. After moving from Monessen, Pennsylvania to Compton, California, he came up in the West Coast rap scene of the 1980s and ‘90s, releasing his first single, “Whatcha Gonna Do?”, in 1987. In 1991, he joined WC and the Maad Circle, appearing on their debut album Ain’t a Damn Thang Changed.

In 1994, Coolio signed to Tommy Boy Records. The same year, he released his solo debut, It Takes a Thief, home to the platinum single “Fantastic Voyage.” “Gangsta’s Paradise” arrived in 1995 and became one of hip-hop’s rawest, most enduring singles.

Following the success of “Gangsta’s Paradise,” Coolio wrote “Aw, Here It Goes!” as the theme song for Nickelodeon’s Kenan & Kel, and joined the likes of Biz Markie, Wu-Tang Clan, and Fat Joe for America Is Dying Slowly, a compilation album for the AIDS-awareness group Red Hot Organization.

Coolio also had a number of acting roles throughout his career, featuring in television shows like Sabrina the Teenage Witch, The Nanny, and Gravity Falls and becoming a fixture of 2000s reality TV by appearing on Celebrity Big Brother and Wife Swap. His eighth and final studio album was 2009’s From the Bottom 2 the Top.

Just two weeks prior to his death, Coolio performed at the 2022 edition of Riot Fest in Chicago.
---
Sorry to hear one of your brothers passed.
T