Author Topic: The Promise of AI, More Important than Fire, or Electricity  (Read 891 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: The Promise of AI, More Important than Fire, or Electricity
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2024, 09:30:23 PM »
Tradesmen aren't wagies. They're contractors.

Predictive calculation is a faculty of intellect but designing a machine to perform it doesn't imbue the machine with a mind. Don't anthropomorphize shit. The computer is not alive. It's not intelligent. It's carrying out a program. Y'all believers are the dudes outside Searles chinese room.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2024, 02:13:54 AM »
What kind of research?

A mix of Academic and real world applications to be honest - things like summaries of case law, legal frameworks and which specific bits apply, short abstracts to explain methodologies, that sort of thing

One of the key differences between machine learning and regular computer program is machine learning requires far less human programming.  For example, Windows 11 contains about 50 million lines of code, which are all written by humans.  Machine learning requires less than a thousand lines of human code.  the key output is the matrix of numbers that are created during the learning process.  At it's core, machine learning is based on linear algebra, specifically, matrix multiplication.  It's just math, but math that computers excel at.  In particular, GPU's are very fast at this kind of math because all graphics just calculating polygons using linear algebra.

The output of machine learning is a large matrix of numbers.

Equally important is the hardware to run the machine learning model on is low cost and simple.  Tesla FSD runs on a computer that's basically two Samsung galaxy chips and half a gig of memory.  The file containing the matrix is only about 500 megs, it's easy to send over the air updates and every Tesla has the required hardware.

The hardware that does the training is basically thousands of GPU's for gaming.  That part of it is expensive and power consuming, but once the training is done, it can be sent out to everyone.

Yeah I accidentally saw an INVIDIA promo recently - suddenly realised that their (GPU) ability to perform parallel processing was a key reason for their use. (About a hundred years ago I dabbled with OCCAM and ferk me was that complicated!!)
T

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2024, 02:28:23 AM »
The machine learning stuff makes a lot of grinding forms of IT jobs obsolete. As 100 of those people can be replaced by 10 people overseeing AI.

This is true, will take some time, but its already starting. We are starting to use it in 'threat detection and mitigation' in our firewalls.
By the time I retire in 4 years, maybe my job will be obsolete. But like IPv6 which was supposed to take over the internet and every company, its used very little so far.
(Except in engineering, dev-ops, etc, it needs to work in every product)... It (IPv6) of course works fine, but people are still reluctant to switch to it fully...

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2024, 08:36:55 AM »
My money is on CDs for the future.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2024, 08:38:43 AM »

DVD's???

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2024, 08:40:02 AM »
DVD's???

Yea...ok...DVDs can come too.

MajorDomo

• Getbig III
  • I'm here to chew bubblegum
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2024, 08:50:57 AM »

The nice thing about CDs and DVDs is they don't report back to Mark Zuckerberg about what you watched.

People who are getting chubbies over AI should watch the series "Person of Interest" now on Amazon Prime. Probably the best series ever made about government over reach. AI is yet another tool they will use to remove your freedoms.

Rusty Trombone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2024, 08:55:32 AM »

Faggotry.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2024, 10:55:49 AM »
A mix of Academic and real world applications to be honest - things like summaries of case law, legal frameworks and which specific bits apply, short abstracts to explain methodologies, that sort of thing

There was a guy a while back that asked people due to appear in court to wear hands free sets as listening devices so he could train his AI. He then wanted to use it to fight parking tickets or something. Followed him years ago. Do you know about this and what happened to him?

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2024, 12:04:25 PM »
The nice thing about CDs and DVDs is they don't report back to Mark Zuckerberg about what you watched.

People who are getting chubbies over AI should watch the series "Person of Interest" now on Amazon Prime. Probably the best series ever made about government over reach. AI is yet another tool they will use to remove your freedoms.

This. They are going to use it to keep you from finding upsetting data or information which doesn't fit their narrative. It will be built into the search engines.