Author Topic: Freaking out: potential university has NO SQUAT rack....  (Read 7827 times)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: Freaking out: potential university has NO SQUAT rack....
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 04:56:42 AM »
It is all about the 'load'.. The spine wasn't designed to carry such unnatural 'loads'...

::) ::)

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 04:58:38 AM »
And also don't forget the Deadlifts....

Deadlifts = bending over and taking a load.....not the best thing for teh spinal column.

io856

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 05:55:12 AM »
you sound like some jock anal fucked your girl then sent her home to you so that you can cook breakfast for her?
Thats exactly right.  ::)

Dragon

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »
And also don't forget the Deadlifts....

Deadlifts = bending over and taking a load.....not the best thing for teh spinal column.

than what do you recommend for legs, smith machine squats are ok?
LOCAL GYM HERO

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 07:26:34 AM »
It seems crazy as I should base my decisions for graduate studies soley on academic criteria but I called to ask about the socalled sports centre and I asked if there was a squat rack, to which the man replied no. Am I crazy or should I just eliminate said university from my list because I won't be able to do squats (they don't even have a smith machine)....freaking out...is it legimitate?

What would you do?

What school is this?

Rather than ask about what equipment they have in the gym visit the school, tour the facilities, and see for yourself.  It may be that the person you talked with didn't even know what a squat rack is.  Maybe the fitness center has other equipment that you would find compelling.  There are a lot of "maybes" here but evaluating a gym via telephone doesn't make much sense to me.

If your are serious about graduate school you won't have much time for the gym anyway; there aren't many beefy doctorates or MA/MS degree holders out there.  You may soon find out why.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 07:28:26 AM »
Epic trying to make yourself sound hardcore.  Everyone knows you don't even lift, much less squat.  Stop pretending.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 08:00:34 AM »
One must do something interesting inbetween....

240...no smith machine...sounds very sparse in general....

learn to do one legged squats aka pistols.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/02/one-legged-squat-john-grimek.html

http://beastskills.com/Pistol.htm

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2008, 08:06:41 AM »
What school is this?

Rather than ask about what equipment they have in the gym visit the school, tour the facilities, and see for yourself.  It may be that the person you talked with didn't even know what a squat rack is.  Maybe the fitness center has other equipment that you would find compelling.  There are a lot of "maybes" here but evaluating a gym via telephone doesn't make much sense to me.

If your are serious about graduate school you won't have much time for the gym anyway; there aren't many beefy doctorates or MA/MS degree holders out there.  You may soon find out why.

Meh, that's the problem with academics; they are either fat or skinny ascetics....I will look in town....turning down a great uni because of a gym would be silly....
I hate the State.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »
I always make major life decisions based on gym amenities. I turned down a flight on the space shuttle because they didn't have a juice bar.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2008, 08:27:54 AM »
I always make major life decisions based on gym amenities. I turned down a flight on the space shuttle because they didn't have a juice bar.
You are fucking hillarious . Do you speak homo by any chance  ::)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2008, 08:31:14 AM »
You are fucking hillarious . Do you speak homo by any chance  ::)
no but i know you are the worlds premier translator.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2008, 08:33:31 AM »
no but i know you are the worlds premier translator.
I thought we aGreed for you not to speak unless spoken to...what are u doin ? sass04...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2008, 08:40:59 AM »
I thought we aGreed for you not to speak unless spoken to...what are u doin ? sass04...

Stop highjacking my thread with your hostilities. Go have a showdown some place else...
I hate the State.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »
What school is this?

It's not always possible to visit a school ahead of time when applying to several different programs. That type of travel could become very expensive. Nowadays most large universities have pics of their facilities online.
!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »
you dont need squats to have great legs. just kick ass on hack squats and leg presses and do smith machine front squats and leg extensions and do dumbell suqtas

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »

That's a bullshit excuse. What is required to lift/stay in shape? 5 hours a week?  I managed to do it in graduate school, it shouldn't be that hard for him...  just don't waste time on useless shit (like getbig  :D).
Ron: "I am lazy."

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »

If your are serious about graduate schoolbodybuilding you won't have much time for the gymgraduate school anyway; there aren't many beefy doctorates or MA/MS degree holdersmr. Olympias with PHD's out there.  You may soon find out why.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »
your education=more important than working out.

get a degree, get a good job and then worry about squatting.
nasser=piece of shit

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2008, 11:15:45 AM »

That's a bullshit excuse. What is required to lift/stay in shape? 5 hours a week?  I managed to do it in graduate school, it shouldn't be that hard for him...  just don't waste time on useless shit (like getbig  :D).

yeah, i was 40 pounds (some fat, some muscle) heavier in college, because i was forced to leave the house every day, and I went to the gym between classes because i didn't really like most of my classmates.

you have to do a lot of reading in college.  do it on a treadmill.  do it in the 3-4 minutes you rest between sets.

besides, if you are going to school at a good school, you'll have shopping centers around it, and youll find a gym in there, guaranteed.  besides, an olympia weight set and sq rack is total 400, tops.  if you can afford tuition, you can afford that.  books alone will be 500 to 1000 per semester, i promise that lol...

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »
besides, if you are going to school at a good school, you'll have shopping centers around it, and youll find a gym in there, guaranteed. 

I don't know...  the good school I went to was surrounded by Philadelphia ghetto.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »

I don't know...  the good school I went to was surrounded by Philadelphia ghetto.
A UPenn grad, eh?
!

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
A UPenn grad, eh?

Yes, for grad school.  Undergrad at Georgetown in DC.  Strangely, back when I applied to those schools, the number of squat racks available wasn't on my list of criteria.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2008, 02:05:34 PM »
Strangely, back when I applied to those schools, the number of squat racks available wasn't on my list of criteria.
LOL

What's a Penn grad doing slumming on getbig every day?  :-\
!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »
It sounds like u are form the uk.

plenty of v cheap gyms in uk. plus my ni gym is full of riuby twats and gaa twats. im sure there are other options

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2008, 03:40:02 PM »
It's not always possible to visit a school ahead of time when applying to several different programs. That type of travel could become very expensive. Nowadays most large universities have pics of their facilities online.

If the student has not yet been admitted to the degree program then this entire conversation is premature.  If he has been admitted he should easily be able to narrow his decision to 1-3 programs and visit the the one school he is most likely to attend.  In addition, conversations with current grad students can easily be arranged to scope out campus life and resources.