Author Topic: Shot put workout for punching power  (Read 13082 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Shot put workout for punching power
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
So I bought a new shot put... (my old one is a 10lber, but it was getting light so i bought a 16lber (olympic weight)) and used it in my sunday explosive workout (30x 10 seconds sprints pushing my grand caravan down the street (wife steering) & 4x superset of 4 different shot put throws for 10 reps each)...

Not only is the shot put a great way to increase peak punching power it's fucking fun... nothing reduces stress like chucking something heavy... personally, I do this at Woodbine beach near Toronto on the sand beside lake ontario... makes for a nice sunday.

is anyone else trying crazy shit like this? i'm going back to the boxing club near my house to have my right hand tested again... between the bulgarian bag and the shot put it's getting explosive as hell

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Re: Shot put workout for punching power
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »
I used to love training in creative ways like this when i used to do martial arts :)

Bulgarian bags are fun! Used to do this kind of stuff before I ever touched weights actually.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
I used to love training in creative ways like this when i used to do martial arts :)

Bulgarian bags are fun! Used to do this kind of stuff before I ever touched weights actually.

i still lift heavy weights but i make room to mix everything else in of off days... been doing the tick for me

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »

i still lift heavy weights but i make room to mix everything else in of off days... been doing the tick for me
sounds like you are having fun Wooo... ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »
sounds like you are having fun Wooo... ;D

living the dream

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:50:36 AM »
Throwing the shot put is great for power building. There is a difference between power and strength. I tried once here to explain the difference but I got shot down by 20 year old training experts. If you want to be good at a sport like wrestling, boxing, olympic lifting, sprinting, football, or just about any real sport then training for power is really important. Being strong is meaningless unless you can release that strength quickly. How many times have you seen a 400lb plus guy hitting a heavy bag like a girl and a 225 bench guy hit it like a ton of bricks?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:36:56 AM »
Throwing the shot put is great for power building. There is a difference between power and strength. I tried once here to explain the difference but I got shot down by 20 year old training experts. If you want to be good at a sport like wrestling, boxing, olympic lifting, sprinting, football, or just about any real sport then training for power is really important. Being strong is meaningless unless you can release that strength quickly. How many times have you seen a 400lb plus guy hitting a heavy bag like a girl and a 225 bench guy hit it like a ton of bricks?
so for power its true that single reps should be done and higher for strength?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:05 AM »
Power is one of the most important commodities in sport. It doesn't matter if you are strong if you can't unleash that strength quickly. Power is often describes as force times velocity.

If you're a boxer it doesn't matter if you bench 400 lbs and other impressive lifts if you can't release that strength quickly. There are some really soft hitting big number lifters. There are really hard hitting guys that can't bench 250 lbs. If you squat 500 lbs but can't explode that strength quickly you won't be able to dunk or sprint for that matter. Look at a pro golfer when he hits that big drive. Some who are ill informed will say that's technique.  Technique will determine direction and placement but make no mistake that a long drive is an example of power.

Power is more important in sports than pure strength. Strength does build power to an extent but never confuse power with strength. The term functional strength has been use for awhile yet it's meaning is misunderstood. Most just use the simplistic getting stronger is functional mantra. Functional strength term when used in it's proper context should be talking about increasing power toward an athletic goal.

How do you develop this speed power? First a partial derivative of strength training is an increase in power. As an athlete you should incorporate specific power exercises.  Many who have never done Olympic lifts such as power cleans are surprised to find their sprinting speed and jumping ability go up dramatically. Truth be told Olympic lifting should have been labeled power lifting and power lifting; strength lifting. Sprints and jumps are power exercises. Throwing objects like a shot put or medicine balls increase power. Also hitting a heavy bag is another. Explosive push ups are also good. One of the things that first leave aging athletes is power not strength.

Maybe next time I will cover conditioning. A forgotten commodity in bodybuilding.  All the strength and power is useless if an athlete gases because there is nothing in the tank.

If your a bodybuilder who wants to include a real power builder I would do power cleans or high pulls without the catch at the shoulders.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »
Power is one of the most important commodities in sport. It doesn't matter if you are strong if you can't unleash that strength quickly. Power is often describes as force times velocity.

If you're a boxer it doesn't matter if you bench 400 lbs and other impressive lifts if you can't release that strength quickly. There are some really soft hitting big number lifters. There are really hard hitting guys that can't bench 250 lbs. If you squat 500 lbs but can't explode that strength quickly you won't be able to dunk or sprint for that matter. Look at a pro golfer when he hits that big drive. Some who are ill informed will say that's technique.  Technique will determine direction and placement but make no mistake that a long drive is an example of power.

Power is more important in sports than pure strength. Strength does build power to an extent but never confuse power with strength. The term functional strength has been use for awhile yet it's meaning is misunderstood. Most just use the simplistic getting stronger is functional mantra. Functional strength term when used in it's proper context should be talking about increasing power toward an athletic goal.

How do you develop this speed power? First a partial derivative of strength training is an increase in power. As an athlete you should incorporate specific power exercises.  Many who have never done Olympic lifts such as power cleans are surprised to find their sprinting speed and jumping ability go up dramatically. Truth be told Olympic lifting should have been labeled power lifting and power lifting; strength lifting. Sprints and jumps are power exercises. Throwing objects like a shot put or medicine balls increase power. Also hitting a heavy bag is another. Explosive push ups are also good. One of the things that first leave aging athletes is power not strength.

Maybe next time I will cover conditioning. A forgotten commodity in bodybuilding.  All the strength and power is useless if an athlete gases because there is nothing in the tank.

If your a bodybuilder who wants to include a real power builder I would do power cleans or high pulls without the catch at the shoulders.

an intresting post..yes please do cover conditioning. Infact you should start a thread about your ideas. Plyotonics is good for some sports too and i agree that conditioning is important. I do not lift massive weights but really concentrate on what i am doing.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
i love these power movements... good cardio and they are fun... literally... throwing a shot put, swinging a sledge hammer, etc... it barely feels like exercise

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »
i love these power movements... good cardio and they are fun... literally... throwing a shot put, swinging a sledge hammer, etc... it barely feels like exercise

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 07:30:43 AM »
For punching power i always liked using this bar in a bench press position

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
i also include explosive sandbag throws in my sandbag workout... i clean it and then shove-throw it as far as i can...

it's tough to shove 150lbs of dead weight!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
WOO:  Try throwing  a couple of 150lb drunk, fighting and loud women out of a bar. A ultimate strength challenge. Don't pay you enough to do that, on a Saturday night.

Ever do DB side presses or the original bent press in your power training? Or use a heavier Kettle bell for heaving/putting rather that the standard shot? Ballistic training becomes very important also.

Any overhead pressing (two hand or one) will improve punching force, rather than standard benches. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 09:42:35 AM »
WOO:  Try throwing  a couple of 150lb drunk, fighting and loud women out of a bar. A ultimate strength challenge. Don't pay you enough to do that, on a Saturday night.

Ever do DB side presses or the original bent press in your power training? Or use a heavier Kettle bell for heaving/putting rather that the standard shot? Ballistic training becomes very important also.

Any overhead pressing (two hand or one) will improve punching force, rather than standard benches. Good Luck.
well maybe jPM but if you do wing chun or Jeet kune do then a punch comes from direct from your centre, "chain punches". The tricep bar with its parallel close grip is excellent for this.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »

i've tried all kinds of things over the years... i tend to change things around in my workouts every few weeks... i'm still training 7 days a week

as for throwing people out of bars, i had my share of those experiences working as a doorman throughout my university days...

shitty job for shitty money

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »
Woo:  Yes bad job choice, for little bucks.  But you do meet some exceptional women..if only for a overnight stay (preferred).  Off season/college, worked in a couple of PCH beach bars. Pretty much moving people along who do not intend to be moved along. This is where elbows and body weight and leverage come in handy. And never raising your voice, but once. Dark parking lots (usually behind the bar) hold the most caution. Though, myself, never encountered much of any problem. More aggressive bouncer's usually do.

Donny:  we just have different views. Familiar with most forms of martial arts. Philippine and Okinawa Te , for me, are the most productive styles. Of course a seasoned street fighter probably would have his way with most martial players. Have to be good at fighting in close quarters, like back against a wall or in the size of a phone booth  (none here in SoCal anymore).

Overhead presses call upon more supporting body action, from the feet/ground up, when hitting than do benches.  Plus looking at the mechanics of a punch, you can see the better recruitment of the actual punching chain of power. Aware of the famous three inch, from a dead stop, punch of Bruce Lee and a few others. Impressive, but for most of us  mortals..not going to happen. Bruce Lee did a lot of quickness (rather than speed) training from static positions. Truly one man in a million. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
Thank you for your points JPM. However if i will punch it is a direct line(WING CHUN) the punch is not Bruce lees creation but from a chinese monk a woman. chain punches are very fast and need training. However power comes from the triceps and  centre.. making the punch short but fast. The swinging street fighter punch can work but to anyone who has boxed too easy to spot and deal with. The stances in Wing chun are trained too as in most martial arts through variouse stances. I can not agree with you that the overhead press is more practical for a wing chun fighter or boxer. Read a book from Keith R Kernsprecht "Wing Tzun" the art from Leung Ting. Wing Chun is called also Ving tzun .. Wing Tzun and various names from each master. Emin Bozep was a great student of Kernsprecht and is in LA very well known. He is also very well known with Latosa Escrima. If you read Kernsprechts book he recommends squats for legs.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
Woo:  Yes bad job choice, for little bucks.  But you do meet some exceptional women..if only for a overnight stay (preferred).  Off season/college, worked in a couple of PCH beach bars. Pretty much moving people along who do not intend to be moved along. This is where elbows and body weight and leverage come in handy. And never raising your voice, but once. Dark parking lots (usually behind the bar) hold the most caution. Though, myself, never encountered much of any problem. More aggressive bouncer's usually do.

yeah i saw the same shit... had a buddy with a big mouth who got stabbed one night outside the club... i always found that diplomacy worked wonders... i mean if i am out and shitfaced the worst thing you could do is get in my face... but if you talk to me i'll take a hint  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:02 AM »
notice the exercise on page 28... this an old but good book. I used methods from this in my training. Not sure if you can get it in English.. maybe you can translate it because its a great read and makes a lot of sense. Over the years i have trained in various systems. The Wing tzun schools of Kernsprecht and leung ting are spread over Europe. Another system very good is the ving tsun system from Philip Bayer in  Germany and he represents this line in Europe has a web side... this is a system from Wong shun leung.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 03:16:53 AM »
Chrome did a decent job of translating the book (thanks for posting the link)... some interesting ideas

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »
Chrome did a decent job of translating the book (thanks for posting the link)... some interesting ideas
no problem...itīs old but a good read. I had the book some years ago but gave it to a guy who started training in Wing Tzun..

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 10:37:34 AM »
Donny:  Sorry, just using the Bruce Lee blow as an example  (gotten from a the Chinese nun, as you noted...the death touch ((myth or not)) and the influence of planet positions, timing of the day/night, and the area of the body that planet rules  would also be a interesting subject to follow...some suggest that was the cause of Lee's young death). As with any good martial artist, getting the  total body into a short, direct strike is vital.  Different views on the source of power: Need more that the triceps. The center of power comes from the lower spine and legs, from the ground up.

A experienced street fighter would rarely throw a " swinging " punch. Quite a few Chinese styles may do that and also windmill blocks, which are excellent. Street fighters are aware of counter blocks and the elbow/knee cap factors, both offensive and defensive. Plus grabbing and throat eye strikes. Though  not too many have mastered ground grappling moves. No rules in that game.

Latosa Escrima is a prime way to train. First learning with the rattans and than free handed.  Large Filipino population in San Diego, so many places to learn the art. Viet Nam martial arts also, highly influenced by China's forms of fighting.

Might also suggest that a lot of those martial arts book are like BB'ing books. Take them for what you may thing they are worth. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Yes read the book in the link  states clearly why squats close bench and incline sit ups.