Author Topic: Neck Strengthing Exercises...need some tips.  (Read 3046 times)

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
Neck Strengthing Exercises...need some tips.
« on: June 21, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »
anyone have any good videos of some or ideas you can help me out with?

thanks

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
Re: Neck Strengthing Exercises...need some tips.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
Try starting with sets of Chin Retractions each day
Keep the neck long and tall and retract your chin as far as possible...when u can't retract any more...use your hand to push the chin in more...try and keep the mouth shut and tongue on roof of your mouth...make sure your traps are not taking over

For some people chin retractions work better than stretching for neck issues

Mckenzie did a lot of cool stuff for the neck
Google Mackenzie methods!
w

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »
Try starting with sets of Chin Retractions each day
Keep the neck long and tall and retract your chin as far as possible...when u can't retract any more...use your hand to push the chin in more...try and keep the mouth shut and tongue on roof of your mouth...make sure your traps are not taking over

For some people chin retractions work better than stretching for neck issues

Mckenzie did a lot of cool stuff for the neck
Google Mackenzie methods!
thanks...ill try that and look into Mackenzie

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »
Might suggest investing in a simple neck head strap. The neck area usually responds fairly quickly to direct exercise. Don't want to spend the bucks, than a folded long towel/belt can work well, with your own resistance.  The muscles of the neck are short ranged. As are most other short range muscle groups (abs/calves), very powerful when fully developed. And can handle a lot of weight. The neck seems to respond better with a higher rep pattern (10-12, with some guys going higher).

If your somewhat adventurous,  than wrestlers bridges are among the best movement, though not for everyone. Some haves bridged with over 200+ as a part of regular training.  Using only bwt resistance works well with many people, but one thing to avoid is any ultimate stretch to the neck when training. Higher raised shrugs can affect the neck muscles, because the neck and traps were designed to function together. The old wrestler headlock resistance can work very well also.

If you have a training partner, that having him apply resistance can work very well, usually you may only need that long folded towel or neck strap. Some have hooked up a neck strap to cable machines with good results also.

Good Luck.
F

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »
Appreciate the Tips.

Been doing the chin retractions and already feel the difference,  I spent a bit of time researching the Mackenzie methods and actually remembering having a physical therapist utilizing these w me years ago.

Ill definitely look into getting a neck head strap. 

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
Appreciate the Tips.

Been doing the chin retractions and already feel the difference,  I spent a bit of time researching the Mackenzie methods and actually remembering having a physical therapist utilizing these w me years ago.

Ill definitely look into getting a neck head strap. 
nice!
w

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
anyone have any good videos of some or ideas you can help me out with?

thanks

If you're interested in performing weighted movements, I used an effective one years ago. I don't know its name, but essentially, you lay supine on a flat bench in such a way that your shoulders are supported, but your head should be able to pivot freely in a forward and back (anterior to posterior) motion.

You are going to rest a plate - usually a 45 - on your forehead and basically "curl" it using your neck muscles. You will need to hold the plate in position with your hands, and most guys use a folded towel to act as a padded barrier between the plate and their head.

You may wish to first practice a few sets with a 25, but you may soon discover that a single 45 is inadequate weight. I remember seeing some guys using 2 plates for this movement, which gets a little awkward with the balancing.

Wrestlers bridges are a terrific movement because - as with most body weight exercises - you can adjust the difficulty with slight changes in body positioning. There are also many variations that can be easily searched on YouTube. You should have little problem finding a suitable version for your own strength and skill level.

Just be careful with that neck!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »
Can also do the lying (face up or face down) on a bench with a partners applying resistance with the heel of his hand. Usually a folded tower or pad is between your head and the partners hand.  The towel/pad is also used if the forehead is sweaty and the heel of the hands might slip. Can also apply side ways pressure to the neck area.  Seen a couple of guys doing this stuff on a full length incline board also.

Usually can tell a serious athlete by the neck and traps. In  a suit, a big and thick neck is a dead give aways that a man is not ordinary , but strong and athletic. Most BB'ers are totally lacking in the neck area and not matching their other body parts in size...and strength.

Good Luck.
F