Author Topic: Protein Powders - What are you using  (Read 28124 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Protein Powders - What are you using
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
This is only for Protein Powder users...all else please beat it..

So what brand/type are you using?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Protein Powders - What are you using
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
I'm currently using a custom blend of calcium caseinate, micellar casein, beef, and whole egg solids.
I usually mix it with whole milk and heavy cream.

Occasionally I'll go old-school and mix three scoops with six raw eggs and heavy cream, which makes more of a pudding, but I can adjust the consistency by adding more or less cream.
I don't advocate consuming raw eggs.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
BSN Snytha6  I have been using this one for 4 years now and can't see myself changing as I love all the flavours which I have used and I feel good on this protein powder. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
BSN Snytha6  I have been using this one for 4 years now and can't see myself changing as I love all the flavours which I have used and I feel good on this protein powder. 

I've used Syntha in the past and was quite pleased with its taste, ease of mixing, and digestion. The price was also quite reasonable compared with other brands.

My only criticism is that it is on the high end in regards to calories and, especially, carbs. I did make some gains while using it, but those gains were not limited to muscle.

Also, I noticed a while back that the price of Syntha-6 has climbed a bit to more closely match it's competitors. For a commercial blend at that price, I'd be more inclined to go with Pro-Complex based on label claims. It's a leaner formula.

One of my buddies works PT for Vitamin World, who's parent company recently acquired Met-Rx. They are supposedly once again using the original Connelly Metamyosin formula in the RTD's, which would be a great thing since it was that blend that earned Met-Rx its place atop the supplement world for a time. According to my friend, the packets' taste and texture are just as they were when we used them years ago with good results.
It may be worth trying them again after all these years!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »
Allmax Isolate. Strawberry whey.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »
100% Egg Protein Powder

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 04:46:25 AM »

I have used Syntha in the past but didn't agree with my system. Although I am curious about the new Isolate mixture.

I seem to have had the best luck with Intrapro by Gaspari ands also Isopro which is a little pricey.I am on the hunt for something new but may just default back to one of the 2.

Monty - I used to run a Vitamin World, back in 2010 a company bought NBTY (Vitamin World) who also bought Metrx so they are both under the Carlyle group

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »

One of my buddies works PT for Vitamin World, who's parent company recently acquired Met-Rx. They are supposedly once again using the original Connelly Metamyosin formula in the RTD's, which would be a great thing since it was that blend that earned Met-Rx its place atop the supplement world for a time. According to my friend, the packets' taste and texture are just as they were when we used them years ago with good results.
It may be worth trying them again after all these years!

Is that with or without the clenbuterol?? Lol  Old urbran legend..or is it??

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
Is that with or without the clenbuterol?? Lol  Old urbran legend..or is it??

Really?
I'd honestly never heard that.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
Two scoops of Promasil with a few slices of banana, some almond milk, and a dash of cinnamon post workout does the trick for me.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »
I used powders regularly in the past now if I make a shake every two or three months that's a lot. Whole foods for me.
T

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »
i use a custom blend for breakfast, and another for before bed...i will read off the labels later...

but for a post workout ive been using dymatize iso-100 lately....pure whey hydroslates...

switching back to isolates though...hydroslates are great..but i get hungry too fast on it..

bench

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 05:01:36 AM »
i use a custom blend for breakfast, and another for before bed...i will read off the labels later...

but for a post workout ive been using dymatize iso-100 lately....pure whey hydroslates...

switching back to isolates though...hydroslates are great..but i get hungry too fast on it..

bench

HOLY SHIT...
HE LIVES!!!
 ;D ;D

Welcome back, bro!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »

bench

Welcome back sir!

Please update us on the OBL raid!

We've missed you

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »
"I want youuuuu.... to show me the Whey, every day....." Peter Frampton

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
"I want youuuuu.... to show me the Whey, every day....." Peter Frampton

excellent

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
Welcome back sir!

Please update us on the OBL raid!

We've missed you
its UBL....and there is nothing to talk about...only thing that even made it worth mentioning was the the target..and the place it happened...just a standard HVT takedown..nothing special..

my breakfast mix!

micellar casein 60%
hydrolyzed caseinate 10%
whey protein isolate cold filtration 15%
hydrolyzed whey protein 15%
1 scoop with a additional 1 scoop of whey hydroslates

bench

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
its UBL....and there is nothing to talk about...only thing that even made it worth mentioning was the the target..and the place it happened...just a standard HVT takedown..nothing special..

my breakfast mix!

micellar casein 60%
hydrolyzed caseinate 10%
whey protein isolate cold filtration 15%
hydrolyzed whey protein 15%
1 scoop with a additional 1 scoop of whey hydroslates

bench

Why do you go for the hydrolyzed casein?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 07:22:16 PM »

Why do you go for the hydrolyzed casein?
I feel good on it...I have noticed marked changed eating patterns and gains in good ways

It's not a miracle ingredient or anything...but I find it very beneficial

Bench

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
I feel good on it...I have noticed marked changed eating patterns and gains in good ways

It's not a miracle ingredient or anything...but I find it very beneficial

Bench

Well, if you like it, use it.
I came across some info that really turned me off to it, though.
The link to the study was on my old computer, which crashed and burned at the beginning of summer. If I can find it again, I'll post it here. Until then...

Basically, they attached tracers to hydrolyzed casein and whole-part casein molecules in order to track them through digestion. What they found is that, while offering much faster transit time to circulation, the hydrolyzed form saw a large percentage of its amino content destroyed during digestion.
In contrast, the whole-part casein saw a more complete amino delivery despite taking longer to get there.

The hydrolyzing process is very complex and expensive. The end result is that you are paying much more money for less total delivery. Casein, by nature, absorbs slowly. Let it. If you're after faster absorption times, just go with whey. It's cheaper, AND your muscles get more of its aminos.

Just my two-cents.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 03:20:40 AM »

Well, if you like it, use it.
I came across some info that really turned me off to it, though.
The link to the study was on my old computer, which crashed and burned at the beginning of summer. If I can find it again, I'll post it here. Until then...

Basically, they attached tracers to hydrolyzed casein and whole-part casein molecules in order to track them through digestion. What they found is that, while offering much faster transit time to circulation, the hydrolyzed form saw a large percentage of its amino content destroyed during digestion.
In contrast, the whole-part casein saw a more complete amino delivery despite taking longer to get there.

The hydrolyzing process is very complex and expensive. The end result is that you are paying much more money for less total delivery. Casein, by nature, absorbs slowly. Let it. If you're after faster absorption times, just go with whey. It's cheaper, AND your muscles get more of its aminos.

Just my two-cents.

concur

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 06:49:13 AM »
concur

At least several companies are now marketing products with some form of hydrolyzed casein, and most of those are quite pricy. Casein is already a more expensive ingredient. It seems like a shame to charge even more to do to it something that reduces its benefits.

I believe in casein more than whey. I feel I've made better gains on it.
When Rexall bought Met-Rx, the first thing they did was remove casein from the Metamyosin blend in order to offer competitive pricing in the "Walmart" market. Coincidentally, this was also when their product quality, and subsequently, sales among serious trainers dropped.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 04:30:28 AM »
So I decided to pick up a 2lb Muclemeds Carnivor, so far so good. It is light in flavor but seems to be good in the digestion.

Stay tuned.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 06:49:19 AM »
So I decided to pick up a 2lb Muclemeds Carnivor, so far so good. It is light in flavor but seems to be good in the digestion.

Stay tuned.

ground beef is cheaper and is probably more bioavailable... i guess the only advantage of the shake is that you don't have to cook it

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »
I'm not familiar with the Carnivor powder, but I know that the primary source of protein in their Carnivor Shots is/was collagen, which is disgusting and very low quality protein. The shots' amino profile was due to the BCAA's they add to the product.

Collagen is about the most common and abundant connective tissue in mammals. It's in everything from skin and hair to nails, etc. In cows, collagen is also found in hooves and ears. Since the label doesn't specify, you could be mixing desiccated tongue in your shake for all you know. Or, maybe the next canister you purchase will contain some nice nose cartilage!

Technically, there is protein in collagen, but not the same quality you would find in the parts of the animal we usually serve for meals.