Author Topic: Dont Put Another Dime in the Salvation Army Bucket  (Read 6980 times)

Griffith

• Getbig V
Re: Dont Put Another Dime in the Salvation Army Bucket
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2021, 10:12:45 PM »
Charity starts locally.

Forget about these organisations, rather work with local communities where everything is done on a volunteer basis and there are zero 'admin costs' and bureaucracy. Donated food, prepared meals and supplies then go directly to the people in need.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:00 PM »
Goodwill is even worse.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2021, 11:43:15 PM »
Charity starts locally.

Forget about these organisations, rather work with local communities where everything is done on a volunteer basis and there are zero 'admin costs' and bureaucracy. Donated food, prepared meals and supplies then go directly to the people in need.

Giving to charity and the charities one chooses are a personal choices. If you don't like the Salvation Army, don't drop a dollar  in the bell ringers cup....it is as simple as that.

I suspect many people who rag on about deceptive charities don't give to any of them anyway. They are just trying to justify their lack of charity. Yet when something happen and these same folks need assistance, they will be at the front of the line.

How does donating locally do anything to help folks who lose everything in a catastrophic disaster such as a hurricane, major earthquake or flood that wipes out a huge territory.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 12:50:30 AM »
How does donating locally do anything to help folks who lose everything in a catastrophic disaster such as a hurricane, major earthquake or flood that wipes out a huge territory.

That's why you donate locally.

My contribution can be seen in my community.

I lived through Harvey, i spent every weekend helping people and gave more money to help families than any charity did per family. And i saw it working in action.

That same amount i donated only covers a few packages of water/food shipped to an out of state disaster. Because they pay a premium for shipping.

Plus, natural disaster relief is handled by the government if it is a catastrophic event. Unless you are talking about Haiti and Puerto Rico, where millions are sent and squandered by their own government.

The people in my area who need food and blankets i can give personally. I can personally supply several children in poor families with a wonderful gift that matters. No cheap blankets that aren't warm enough to help and children's clothing that is the wrong size.

TheFranchise

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 01:36:04 AM »
Goodwill is even worse.

American Red Cross is The Godfather of all these scam charities.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 05:31:29 AM »
Most charities are scams.

Set up a charity and make yourself the CEO and pay yourself a nice salary.

Foundations are even bigger scams.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2021, 05:46:05 AM »

I lived through Harvey, i spent every weekend helping people and gave more money to help families than any charity did per family. And i saw it working in action.

That same amount i donated only covers a few packages of water/food shipped to an out of state disaster. Because they pay a premium for shipping.

Plus, natural disaster relief is handled by the government if it is a catastrophic event. Unless you are talking about Haiti and Puerto Rico, where millions are sent and squandered by their own government.

The people in my area who need food and blankets i can give personally. I can personally supply several children in poor families with a wonderful gift that matters. No cheap blankets that aren't warm enough to help and children's clothing that is the wrong size.

Exactly.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 06:27:54 AM »
On an obscure Internet forum where you remain anonymous. Tough guy.

He works for the government.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2021, 01:33:38 PM »

Is a statewide charitable organization such as OCF something you'd consider to be local? https://oregoncf.org

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »
Charity begins at home.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
Charity begins at home.

Explain what this common saying means in your opinion.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2021, 01:42:48 PM »
Explain what this common saying means in your opinion.

Take care of your family and your friends before trying to save the world.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2021, 01:47:35 PM »
Take care of your family and your friends before trying to save the world.

Agreed. I have definitely done this on rare occasion. Fortunately, my friends and family seem to be great at taking care of themselves. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2021, 01:48:11 PM »
Is a statewide charitable organization such as OCF something you'd consider to be local? https://oregoncf.org

I'd have to look at where the money goes.  How much goes to pay for the "wise stewardship" mentioned on the website.  How much are administrators paid, etc.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2021, 02:08:23 PM »
Stay local with your charitable donations if you want to be able to monitor what they do. I have one here in Greenville, SC that I donate exclusively to- and have met the people who run the place and am impressed. They do as much as the Salvation Army but are very regional. And of course they post their financials...

https://miraclehill.org/shelters/greenville-rescue-mission/

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2021, 02:13:38 PM »
Go buy Quarter Pounders and hand them out to the local homeless bums.

No wise stewards to skim off the top.

Say "Pellius sent me".

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2021, 02:19:02 PM »
https://www.roadogsandrescue.org/

donate 5 bucks to Road Dogs and Rescue
they have 5 dollar Friday and I send a fiver every Friday even though Im on welfare
if I can send 5 bucks all of you can too
"

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2021, 05:04:03 PM »
He works for the government.

Haha! That would be ironic.

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2021, 05:06:57 PM »
Haha! That would be ironic.

heres a little glimpse into Fortress if u want to tangle with him or just yap on here

300 pound range, I believe has deadlifted and squatted into the 700s
worked at the single roughest most killers and hardest criminal prison in Canada for a number of years as a guard

Id piss my man pants if he came after me
"

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2021, 05:11:28 PM »
heres a little glimpse into Fortress if u want to tangle with him or just yap on here

300 pound range, I believe has deadlifted and squatted into the 700s
worked at the single roughest most killers and hardest criminal prison in Canada for a number of years as a guard

Id piss my man pants if he came after me

What’s your point? Aren’t we all just yapping on here?

djliftsthings

• Getbig IV
  • RIP Pellius
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2021, 05:27:45 PM »
What’s your point? Aren’t we all just yapping on here?

good point
resume yapping
"

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2021, 07:54:37 PM »
Go buy Quarter Pounders and hand them out to the local homeless bums.

No wise stewards to skim off the top.

Yes well, when I really feel sorry for someone panhandling by the freeway with an 'I am hungry' sign, I do exactly that....go to nearest fast food place, buy them a meal and take it too them. It's more of a hassle than just handing them some money, but it seems like a better choice. I've also bought a bag of dog food for those with dogs at their side.

One the other hand, people who panhandle with their young children, make me angry, as do those with 'help out a veteran' sign. If they are in either of these situations, there are resources available. People who use their children as decoys are despicable. What's next? Maim children and put them on the street to beg, like sometimes happens in third world countries?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2021, 05:13:00 AM »
Yes well, when I really feel sorry for someone panhandling by the freeway with an 'I am hungry' sign, I do exactly that....go to nearest fast food place, buy them a meal and take it too them. It's more of a hassle than just handing them some money, but it seems like a better choice. I've also bought a bag of dog food for those with dogs at their side.

One the other hand, people who panhandle with their young children, make me angry, as do those with 'help out a veteran' sign. If they are in either of these situations, there are resources available. People who use their children as decoys are despicable. What's next? Maim children and put them on the street to beg, like sometimes happens in third world countries?

Those people panhandling by the highway are professional panhandlers.  They usually work in organized "gangs" but also solo.

They dress up in old clothes to look like bums.  They make hundreds of dollars a day.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »
Those people panhandling by the highway are professional panhandlers.  They usually work in organized "gangs" but also solo.

They dress up in old clothes to look like bums.  They make hundreds of dollars a day.

Yes, and the ones out there by themselves are just looking for a bottle of Thunderbird or to score whatever they use.

Usually you will see several bags of food behind them. They want cash.