Author Topic: New York Spankees well upon their way to being outta the post-season.  (Read 10682 times)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: New York Spankees well upon their way to being outta the post-season.
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2006, 08:40:16 PM »
          You make many great points, as far as us Yankee fans would love to have Ortiz as DH, and the importance of Rivera. But as for Ortiz getting robbed of the MVP last year I disagree.
           If A-Rod would of played defense like he did this year, you would of been right. But many writers said he played almost Gold-Glove caliber 3rd base last year. And if you look at their Avg, Runs, HRs, and RBI's it was pretty close. Ortiz had 18 more RBI's, which is an important stat concerning MVP. A-rod had only one more HR, but hit 21 pts higher and scored 6 more runs. He also stole 21 bases, which was another way to be valuable, as he was not a liability on the bases, but actually able to take an extra base.
           Because of defense and the steals, with other things being close to a wash, then I think the voters got it right. I am not of the school of thought that a DH cannot be MVP. But his main offensive stats would have to be singificantly higher. If Ortiz would have hit the same average as A-rod and scored as many runs, then maybe he should have gotten it, since he had 18 more RBI's then A-Rod.

That's my point as well. Ortiz is a one-dimensional player. And yes I am aware that one dimension is crushing the shit out of the ball, but the award traditionally goes to a position player. For the record I would swap A-Rod for Ortiz in a heartbeat. Hell I'll even throw in Sheffield.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2006, 11:01:34 PM »
ortiz has no shot. he doesn only one thing, hit home runs. only a few were solo shots, so theres your rbi's. not to mention half his home runs were hit to right field at fenway park. a routine flyball out anywhere else in the league. ortiz said a few weeks ago that "he deserved to be mvp because jeter only does good because he gets protection from the other guys in the yankee lineup. he then said jeter couldnt do anything in the red sox lineup, because it's weaker." not to mention a few other things. now how is putting down your team make you an mvp? to get back to the yankees getting killed by the tigers. ill probably get flammed for saying this but, i cant believe nobody is questioning things like how kenny rogers was hitting 94mph, when he is consistant at 86. its one thing when you have a few good games, it another when theres a sudden surge in power.

LOL, your statement is so incorrect as to be almost preposterous. Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about. It's a well known fact  to anyone that actually follows baseball that Fenway isn't a ballpark for lefties but Yankee Stadium is.

Yankee Stadium has the short porch in right while in Fenway right field is 380' except for right down the line where the Pesky Pole is and Ortiz hits none of his homeruns right down the line.

Oh, and here's a fun fact for you since you clearly don't have many facts roaming around inside your head. Ortiz just tied Babe Ruth's record for homeruns hit on the road. Do you understand what that means? Ortiz hit 32 homeruns outside of Fenway, considering he hit 54 all season that means he only hit 22 at home. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

And one more little tidbit for you, if you have watched any of Ortiz's many many homeruns this year you'd know he crushes the ball. He never hits a cheap homerun. To call one of his homeruns at Fenway a routine flyball anywhere else is the epitome idiocy.  ::)

One more thing there genius, Rogers wasn't actually hitting 94, that was just a reading on a tweaked radar gun. If you're stupid enough to believe Rogers could come anywhere close to 94 then you might want to give up on baseball and take up another hobby like watching pee wee football games where keeping score isn't really a big deal.  ::)

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2006, 12:24:15 AM »
you could be right. i was tryng to recall what i just heard on the radio, wfan in ny. it was something about his hrs being all hit at fields with short right porches, his average hr distance is no where near ruths. and dont make judgements like i dont know anything about baseball. you have no idea about how much i know and where ive played. and your right kenny rogers wasnt hitting 94, they must have been using a differant gun for johnson i guess, because he was throwing the same he always does. as well as every other pitcher i saw that night.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2006, 07:16:21 AM »
you could be right. i was tryng to recall what i just heard on the radio, wfan in ny. it was something about his hrs being all hit at fields with short right porches, his average hr distance is no where near ruths. and dont make judgements like i dont know anything about baseball. you have no idea about how much i know and where ive played. and your right kenny rogers wasnt hitting 94, they must have been using a differant gun for johnson i guess, because he was throwing the same he always does. as well as every other pitcher i saw that night.

I made judgements based on what you said and what you said was nonsense. If you want to be taken seriously on baseball then you can't say that right field in Fenway is short or that Ortiz hit half his homeruns in Fenway or that half his homeruns would be routine flyballs anywhere else. And the part about Rogers hitting 94, that's like saying Tom Glavine is going to hit 94. The only way that will happen is if the radar gun is tweaked.

Are you a Yankee fan because I'm curious how you didn't know that Yankee Stadium had such a short porch in right field while Fenway has a deep right field? This is widely known baseball knowledge yet you didn't know it.

Yeah, no way I should make assumptions on your baseball acumen?  ::)

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2006, 10:18:07 AM »
The word is out...Torre will be back for another year.  ::)
George has gotten old and very soft over the years. He makes decisions by committee and not from his own instincts. Its time for major changes in Yankee-land. Twenty years ago, Joe would have been out on his ass. George was crazy back then, but after 11 years I think Torre SHOULD go. Six years...no championships...unaccept able. Just my opinion, even though Torre's a good guy and its not all his fault.

Torre and everyone save Jeter, Rivera, Posada and Cano, should be given the boot. Sheffield, Giambi, May-Rod, Randy, even Mussina...I get all those bums out and eat the contracts. The Yankees always spend a bazillion dollars so they can afford to eat massive contracts.

Of course, as a Met fan I love all of this. I hope they make no changes. Now all can sit back an watch an exciting team that are the true Kings of New York. ;D

Edit: Of course Wang should definitely be kept as well. Big-time pitcher.
Lee

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:40 AM »
The word is out...Torre will be back for another year.  ::)

big mistake. remember when schilling had a bloody ankle at the 2004 ALCS and Torre did not have his players bunt? He didnt want to test schillings ankle and get almost guaranteed base runners. he lost them that series. He said that he didnt want to take the bats out of his hitters hands. I know what the players are saying now "torre didnt throw a pitch or swing a bat"  No Kidding! But to have that talent and not win is sign that you have lost touch with your team.

PS- George still may fire him. He hasnt made up his mind 100%

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2006, 10:34:07 AM »

PS- George still may fire him. He hasnt made up his mind 100%
No, its official. I am listening to the Torre press conference right now.
Lee

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2006, 02:42:05 PM »
ya i just saw it on the ticker...torre will be back next season

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2006, 04:02:49 PM »
I made judgements based on what you said and what you said was nonsense. If you want to be taken seriously on baseball then you can't say that right field in Fenway is short or that Ortiz hit half his homeruns in Fenway or that half his homeruns would be routine flyballs anywhere else. And the part about Rogers hitting 94, that's like saying Tom Glavine is going to hit 94. The only way that will happen is if the radar gun is tweaked.

Are you a Yankee fan because I'm curious how you didn't know that Yankee Stadium had such a short porch in right field while Fenway has a deep right field? This is widely known baseball knowledge yet you didn't know it.

Yeah, no way I should make assumptions on your baseball acumen?  ::)

fenway is 302 in right field. yankee staduim is 314 in right. it is widly known that fenway park demensions are bullshit too.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2006, 05:19:31 PM »

fenway is 302 in right field. yankee staduim is 314 in right. it is widly known that fenway park demensions are bullshit too.

Perhaps you missed where I said this in my above post.

Yankee Stadium has the short porch in right while in Fenway right field is 380' except for right down the line where the Pesky Pole is and Ortiz hits none of his homeruns right down the line.

Just because you want to dispute the fact that Fenway isn't a leftie friendly park doesn't make it the case.

These are the undisputed facts. Yankee Stadium is leftie friendly and Fenway is more friendly for righties.

Damon hit more homeruns this year because of the short porch in Yankee Stadium, far more than he ever hit at Fenway. Fight the facts all you want that doesn't make you right, just more of a fool.

SUBTRACTION

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Goatboy in jail for calling McGough fat on Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2006, 05:23:52 PM »
Free  G o a t b o y!

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2006, 06:47:16 PM »
Perhaps you missed where I said this in my above post.

Just because you want to dispute the fact that Fenway isn't a leftie friendly park doesn't make it the case.

These are the undisputed facts. Yankee Stadium is leftie friendly and Fenway is more friendly for righties.

Damon hit more homeruns this year because of the short porch in Yankee Stadium, far more than he ever hit at Fenway. Fight the facts all you want that doesn't make you right, just more of a fool.

fenway isnt lefty friendly? i believe they call it power ally for a reason. johnny damon hit more hr's because of the differance in his swing. if your such an expert it would be easy for you to see what changes mattingly made for him

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2006, 06:49:05 PM »
YES!$#!$!  go Giants!!$ @%$  If they lose the NBA finals I'm throwing my 38" plasma out the window and kicking a mets fan in the ribs.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2006, 08:06:16 PM »

fenway isnt lefty friendly? i believe they call it power ally for a reason. johnny damon hit more hr's because of the differance in his swing. if your such an expert it would be easy for you to see what changes mattingly made for him

Please allow me to give you a brief synopsis of your genius level posts.

First you state that Ortiz hit half his homeruns to right field in Fenway. Yet in actuality he only hit 22 homeruns at Fenway this year and only 7 of those were to dead right field. This proves at least in this instance YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. This link gives a breakdown of what park Ortiz hit his homeruns at and what field they were hit to.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/5909/home_runs.html

Your next genius level post was your statement that half Ortiz's homeruns at Fenway would be routine outs at any other park. Look at the above link and you'll see that only 7 were hit to dead right field at Fenway and the average distance of those homeruns was 385.14 feet, this again proves that YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. Unless of course you are too stupid to realize that a 385.14 foot homerun to dead right field is a homerun in any ballpark on the planet.

Then your genius level baseball intellect decided that Fenway was a easy place for lefties to hit homeruns despite the fact that it is widely known that Fenway is NOT a good place for lefties to hit homeruns. Here is a quote regarding this subject from baseball.about.com "Which parks have the lowest homer rates? Petco Park is the easy one, and it is the worst from both sides of the plate. For lefties, Petco is followed by Kauffman Stadium (Kansas City), SBC Park (San Francisco), and Fenway Park (Boston). So for lefties only three other parks are worse to hit homeruns at.

Here is the link.
http://baseball.about.com/od/theballparkeffect/a/parkeffecthit.htm

Next, you claim Damon's jump in homeruns from 10 to 24 was not because of his now hitting in Yankee Stadium with the short right field porch 81 games a year but instead a change in his swing.  ::)

Oh, and then you get upset because I dispute your ridiculous statements. I understand you're upset that the Yankees got their asses kicked by the Tigers, hell I'm upset the Red Sox sucked it up for the last two months of the year but that doesn't mean I'm going to start making stupid assertions that have no basis in fact.

LOL, I'm still shaking my head and laughing at your moronic statement about Ortiz's homeruns being routine flyballs.  ::)

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2006, 09:34:18 PM »
i said i miss quoted what i heard on the radio. and your getting your evidence from about.com, now im shaking my head. find a website the has real mlb scouts giving info.

i will repeat, right field at fenway park is called POWER ALLY. if you have ever been to fenway did you actually see where the flags blow?  i take it you have no experiance with actually playing baseball because if you did you know how much damon's hitting has changed. his avg. was 40 points lower this year, as well as more strikeouts. which shows you that the yanks are looking for more power, meaning he had to change his swing. theres your hr's. and i believe only one was hit less than 340.

i can make the same argument for ortiz.he went from 20 hrs when he was with minnesota, then 31 next year with boston. like you think it must have been because of the park.

and remember what he said "Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be." ya great mvp
and dont forget he was hitting in front of manny the whole year which makes that statement bullshit.
i never said i was a yankee fan. but comparing jeter to ortiz. get real

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »
i said i miss quoted what i heard on the radio. and your getting your evidence from about.com, now im shaking my head. find a website the has real mlb scouts giving info.

i will repeat, right field at fenway park is called POWER ALLY. if you have ever been to fenway did you actually see where the flags blow?  i take it you have no experiance with actually playing baseball because if you did you know how much damon's hitting has changed. his avg. was 40 points lower this year, as well as more strikeouts. which shows you that the yanks are looking for more power, meaning he had to change his swing. theres your hr's. and i believe only one was hit less than 340.

i can make the same argument for ortiz.he went from 20 hrs when he was with minnesota, then 31 next year with boston. like you think it must have been because of the park.

and remember what he said "Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be." ya great mvp
and dont forget he was hitting in front of manny the whole year which makes that statement bullshit.
i never said i was a yankee fan. but comparing jeter to ortiz. get real

I don't mean this as a put down but your typing style is very difficult to follow. If you were more clear then I could more easily understand your point of view, no matter how ridiculous.

I don't care where you got your information you still came on here and stated that "half of Ortiz's homeruns were in Fenway and that they would be routine flyballs in any other park." I completely and utterly destroyed this point yet you still fight like a delusion convict.

You're argument about Johnny Damon is ridiculous, he was batting lead off. Do I really need to explain the role of a lead off hitter in that Yankee lineup or do you understand? Also, I just checked his homeruns for the year, he hit 12 of them to right field in Yankee Stadium, that is 48% of his total. He hit more homeruns to left field in Yankee Stadium this year than he hit all of last year with the Red Sox in any park. Yeah, Yankee stadium had nothing to do with it, it was his change in swing and the fact that the Yankees wanted him to hit for power from the leadoff position.  ::)

Ortiz on the other hand hit 13% of his homeruns to right field in Fenway even though you said he hit half of them there.

Also, here's a link to the baseball almanac website, are you going to dispute their facts too? The link shows the "Power Alley" in fenway, you'll notice the dimensions in the power are 380 feet. I don't know about you but to me and everyone else on the planet 380 feet isn't a routine flyball.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/fenway_park.shtml

Oh, by the way explain to me what a baseball scout would know about the number of homeruns hit by lefties in Fenway? Foolish me thought that was left to the statistics people not the scouts.

What you said about Ortiz is insane because you don't look at facts. The fact remains (even though you hate it) that Ortiz doesn't hit a majority of his homeruns in Fenway and he doesn't hit a majority of the ones he hits in Fenway to right field. Yet Damon hit 14 of his 25 in Yankee Stadium and of those 14 he hit 12 to right field.

Is it possible for you to be wrong even more?

And get your facts straight (although why I would expect you to get them straight now I don't know) I never compared Ortiz to Jeter. They are two completely different players. Strictly from an offensive standpoint Ortiz is on another planet from Jeter but as a whole baseball player Jeter is on another planet from Ortiz. Comparing them is comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, he was hitting in front of Manny, so what? Ortiz is the most feared hitter in all of baseball, to claim anything else would be a lie.  Who was Jeter hitting in front of? Oh that's right, Arod. You remember Arod don't you, he's the guy that's going to hit more homeruns than Aaron when it's all said and done, you know Arod the best baseball player on the planet.

Do you even think before you post or do you just type whatever blather your fingers will produce?

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2006, 11:06:57 PM »

I don't care where you got your information you still came on here and stated that "half of Ortiz's homeruns were in Fenway and that they would be routine flyballs in any other park." I completely and utterly destroyed this point yet you still fight like a delusion convict.

i keep telling you i missread a statistic. i took back what i said, but you keep bringing it up again and again.

You're argument about Johnny Damon is ridiculous, he was batting lead off. Do I really need to explain the role of a lead off hitter in that Yankee lineup or do you understand? Also, I just checked his homeruns for the year, he hit 12 of them to right field in Yankee Stadium, that is 48% of his total. He hit more homeruns to left field in Yankee Stadium this year than he hit all of last year with the Red Sox in any park. Yeah, Yankee stadium had nothing to do with it, it was his change in swing and the fact that the Yankees wanted him to hit for power from the leadoff position.  ::)

again. ortiz hit more hrs at fenway then he did in minnesota. damon hit 11 of those hrs over 340 feet. if you dont believe he adjusted his swing then fine.

Ortiz on the other hand hit 13% of his homeruns to right field in Fenway even though you said he hit half of them there.

he hit 53% of all hits were flyballs to the right side

What you said about Ortiz is insane because you don't look at facts. The fact remains (even though you hate it) that Ortiz doesn't hit a majority of his homeruns in Fenway and he doesn't hit a majority of the ones he hits in Fenway to right field. Yet Damon hit 14 of his 25 in Yankee Stadium and of those 14 he hit 12 to right field.

if you think that ortiz didnt hit the majority of his hr's to right at fenway then im done arguing with you. out of the 12 hr's that damon hit 1 was less than 340'

Yes, he was hitting in front of Manny, so what? Ortiz is the most feared hitter in all of baseball, to claim anything else would be a lie.  Who was Jeter hitting in front of? Oh that's right, Arod. You remember Arod don't you, he's the guy that's going to hit more homeruns than Aaron when it's all said and done, you know Arod the best baseball player on the planet.

are you kidding me. arod? do you follow arod this season at all? 

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »
to clarify. the majority of hr's ortiz hit at FENWAY were to the right side

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2006, 11:31:32 PM »
to clarify. the majority of hr's ortiz hit at FENWAY were to the right side

Now your argument is that Ortiz hit the majority of those 22 homeruns to the right side? You mean the part that is 380' and 383'? Is that still a routine flyball at any other park?

I know it's become fashionable to bash Arod but don't lose sight of the fact that he's the best baseball player on the planet. And that one day he'll eclipse Aaron's all time homerun record. He also hit 35 homeruns with 121 RBI's and 90 walks this year. That's the same number of homeruns and more RBI's than Manny hit this year.

And think about this, Manny quit on the Red Sox so for more than a month Ortiz had no one hitting behind him to protect him.