Author Topic: i'm going to be 45 and i still don't have a real career?!  (Read 187531 times)

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
Re: i'm going to be 45 and i still don't have a real career?!
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »
Aw, Bay...be nice. :)
Almost always, yes.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »
You would be astonished at how little most people who work in film, radio, televison are paid.  People who are what are called "above the line" make more than average because their pay is figured on the gross income of the business entity that they work for.  Most workers in these fields are not "above the line."

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2009, 08:55:16 PM »
CEO is aiming a bit high.  He merely "wanted to be in the film industry as an executive for a studio or production company."  ::)

He's a modest man.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2009, 12:42:14 PM »
Aw, Bay...be nice. :)

Have you ever known me to be mean spirited?  ???

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2009, 02:17:47 PM »
Have you ever known me to be mean spirited?  ???

HAHAHAHA! No, but you are so blunt (direct and honest though) at times that it can 'feel' borderline cruel. I know that you don't intend it that way at all. The CEO thing was sort of like salt in that poor guy's wound. :)
Almost always, yes.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2009, 08:33:53 AM »
I don't how anyone can work for someone else or a company where there are rules you HAVE to follow.  I could never have a job where I have to be there at a certain time.  The last time I punched a time clock was 1985.  I worked at Chevron Refinery in El Segundo and bringing home $400 to $600 a week that we needed to help make sure we had everything for our new daughter.  When I started doing commercials and stuff if I had to wake up at 4am I had no problem with it.  I was so excited I could barely sleep anyway.  In fact I would leave early and sleep in my car in the parking lot of where I had to be sometimes.  I have worked many many jobs but just did not like the rules.  Even when I owned the Gold's in Kona I had rules but they could be modified when I thought right.  I love the way I make my money now and do it at my own pace and pays me very very well. 
No Worries 4 me

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »
I love the way I make my money now and do it at my own pace and pays me very very well. 

I'm not sure if you've mentioned it in the thread already, but what do you do?
Almost always, yes.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »
I'm not sure if you've mentioned it in the thread already, but what do you do?

He owns a lot of stock in Caliber Fitness.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »

He owns a lot of stock in Caliber Fitness.

:)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 03:36:47 PM »
I believe this is the kind of job the OP wanted.  Notice they are in the same age range.  I can't help but wonder what kind of coin Ross will be pulling in his new gig!  8)
In any case, it looks like he is living Tom's dream.

Rich Ross named chairman of Walt Disney Studios
Rich Ross, the television executive who helped revive the moribund Disney Channel, now has to prove he can work movie magic at Walt Disney Studios.

The 47-year-old former talent department head has been tapped by Disney Chief Executive Robert A. Iger to fill the post formerly held by Dick Cook, who was ousted last month after clashing with his boss and failing to deliver enough hits over the last year.

Iger will look to Ross to reinvigorate Disney’s flagging box-office fortunes and develop film franchises that can be sold across the entertainment giant’s lines of businesses — including theme parks, consumer products and television — as well as grapple with a host of technological issues that are quickly reshaping Hollywood.

“Rich has an outstanding record of creating high-quality family entertainment that delights audiences around the world,” Iger said in a prepared statement. “With his success in building the Disney brand across many of our businesses, his astute marketing sensibility, his proven ability in working effectively with talent and his skill at navigating complex global markets, I’m confident he’s the perfect leader for our studio group.”

By picking an executive from outside the clubby precincts of the movie business, Iger is signaling that he wants Ross to shake up a studio that the Disney chief views as entrenched in the past, from relying on high-priced, aging stars to open films to spending extravagantly on movie marketing.

To achieve this, Ross may be borrowing liberally from the playbook he followed to turn around Disney Channel, which has eclipsed the movie studio in recent years as a hothouse for talent and ideas that could be packaged and resold across the company’s various platforms. Ross has proved himself adept at turning entertainment into brands -- high profile examples include "Hannah Montana," which launched pop star Miley Cyrus' career, and "High School Musical,' which was created for television but quickly found life — and revenue — in recorded music, a big-screen blockbuster and a stage show.

Indeed, at a company that stresses team playing among its executives, Ross may be the ultimate team player.

“I am very excited to play a key role in continuing the storytelling legacy of The Walt Disney Studios. There has never been a better time to entertain our global audiences with high-quality and compelling content and introduce new characters that will become family favorites. I look forward to working with Bob, the team at the studios and all of our Disney family towards that goal,” said Ross.

Since his arrival at Disney Channel in 1996, Ross worked closely with other divisions of the Burbank-based company. For example, when the channel cast Cyrus as Hannah Montana in 2005, Ross ordered an internal “road show” to introduce the new program to other parts of Disney. Within six months of the show’s premiere, the consumer products group was shipping Hannah Montana clothing to stores — shaving a year off the time required for new TV-linked merchandise to reach retail outlets.

Such cross-division collaboration is a priority for Iger, and something he felt was lacking at the movie studio. Moreover, Disney Channel, under Ross' lead, has become a model for Iger’s oft-touted franchise strategy, in which entertainment properties can feed other parts of the Disney empire.

A prime example is 2006's “High School Musical” — a chaste tale of improbable high school romance between a brain and a jock. Ross revved up the Disney marketing machine, leading to the release of a soundtrack that was a top-selling CD, a sold-out 42-date concert tour in North and South America, a show at Disney’s theme parks and a slew of merchandise.

The 2007 sequel, “High School Musical 2,” became the highest-rated telecast in cable history at the time, and the third installment in 2008, “High School Musical 3: Senior Year,” raked in more than $250 million in worldwide box-office sales. Merchandise based on "High School Musical" and other Disney Channel movies and TV series accounted for $3.6 billion in retail sales worldwide last year -- not including DVDs and CDs.

But despite his success in television, Ross has virtually no experience in feature films — a more protracted process and one encumbered by big egos, longtime habits and much higher-cost structures. He must quickly reach out and calm anxieties among Disney’s movie talent, including director Steven Spielberg, producers Jerry Bruckheimer and Scott Rudin, and stars like Johnny Depp — all of whom were close to Cook and distraught over Iger pushing him out.

High on Ross’ list doubtless will be figuring out how to integrate the latest planned addition to Disney’s family, Marvel Entertainment, whose library of super-hero characters the studio will seek to exploit. Disney has lagged behind rival studios that have successively produced film adaptations of Marvel properties such as X-Men and Spider-Man.

Another priority for the incoming studio chief will be forging ties with Spielberg’s DreamWorks Studios, which recently signed a multiyear distribution deal with Disney and expects to supply the studio with four to six movies a year.

But Ross’ greatest challenge will be to address Disney’s creative dearth. Although Disney isn’t the only studio to have suffered a bad year at the box office, the division lost $12 million in its most recent quarter — its first loss in four years. A number of its recent movies, including the Adam Sandler family comedy “Bedtime Stories,” the costly 3-D guinea pig saga “G-Force,” and the latest installment in the 1970s "Witch Mountain" sci-fi adventure franchise, “Race to Witch Mountain,” failed to attract wide audiences.

And like all studio heads, Ross will find himself grappling with a number of sea changes in the business caused by a slump in DVD sales — the most lucrative part of a film’s revenue stream — and technological shifts that have changed how, when and where people watch movies.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/10/rich-ross-named-chairman-of-walt-disney-studios.html

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2009, 07:53:39 AM »
Yahoo calls it one of the Best Jobs in America!  Tom had the right idea... just not the qualifications.  :-\
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107932/best-jobs-in-america.html;_ylt=AisHfv0LCOmYHhhe1up9bfoz0tIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBuZmhqcDBvBHBvcwM4BHNlYwNhcnRpY2xlBHNsawMz

7. Physical Therapist
Median salary (experienced): $74,300
Top pay: $98,100
Job growth (10-year forecast): 27%
Sector: Healthcare

What they do: Restore strength, flexibility, and range of motion to people who have been sidelined by injury, illness, or disease.

Not that stability and growth don’t matter, of course. We put the heaviest weight on those factors when we began crunching the numbers to come up with our list of the 50 best jobs. But to make the final cut, a job had to get high quality-of-life marks too. Whether you’re thinking of switching careers, are job hunting, or want to nudge a child in the right professional direction, this list should give you plenty of fodder for discussion.

Why it's great: Unlike many health-care professionals, physical therapists generally see great progress in their patients. "I don't just treat the symptoms-- I give people the tools to get better," says Jennifer Gamboa, an orthopedic physical therapist in Arlington, Va. Plus, there's no overnight or shift work. Medical advances that allow a growing number of people with injuries and disabilities to survive are spurring demand, says Marc Goldstein, senior director of research at the American Physical Therapists Association. And hey, baby boomers' knees aren't getting any younger: An aging population means more chronic conditions that need physical therapy treatment.

Drawbacks: The impact of health reform on the profession is a wild card. Can be physically demanding.

Pre-reqs: A master's degree, plus certification and state licensing. Many employers prefer a doctor of physical therapy degree.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2009, 08:24:41 AM »
Soon ALL employers will require a DPT.

Everyone I've heard of going through the PT programs now are working towards that.
And many of the therapists who currently have only a bachelor's or even master's are completing their DPT.

There are many sectors (location & company wise) that pay way below the average listed above.
But the cost of education is about the same for everyone everywhere.

And it's true there's no shift work, but there are many places that will require rotating weekends & evening work - either starting & finishing later, or working 10-12 hour days consecutively.
I've known a few of those, too.

Chevron427

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2009, 07:11:04 AM »
Looks like Tom was so busy being the smartest sibling he forgot to reply to this thread.....LOL?

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »
...so, back in 2005/2006 thought i should try to get a job in a "real" profession/career that there is a demand for, so i thought physical therapist like perhaps working for a sports team someday. then i found out that you have to go to school for like 6 years and get a doctorate degree to be a physical therapist! at my age 6 years is like 12! also the fact that i have a bachelor's degree already meant that i would have to get school loans and no grants! so were talking 20,000 a year or so for 6 years! no way! i already owe 30,000.00 from my previous school loans!  i would be paying of school loans when i'm supposed to be saving up money to retire on! literally!

...so then i thought "hmm, maybe i'll just be a physical therapy assistant as my full time job since the training is only 2 years and i wouldn't owe anywhere near the amount of school loans if i became a full fledge therapist and that perhaps for a couple of hours in the evening i could be a personal trainer at my gym and in the long run, working as a  physical therapy asst and personal trainer i would make as much money as a therapist in the long run....

so, i started going to school to be a physical therapy assistant, however i soon realized a few things 1) it was harder than i thought it was going to be 2) all my instructors told me that for the first few years at least i would end up working at a nursing home or something like that before i ever got to work (if ever) a sports team and 3) i realized that physical therapy assistants don't make that much money perhaps somewhere in the vicinity of 13.00 to 18.00 bucks an hour! even if you do it for 20,30 years! that sucks! so i dropped out!....

In other words, you found out you actually had to buckle down, sacrifice, and work hard.  And that the 'work' wasn't going to be glamorous.  So you bailed!

Bah ha ha ha ha Doom is amused.

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
Does anyone really aspire to be a Respiratory Therapist?

Great way to put it, too.
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
It'd take some severe ADD to plaster up a damned novel like that, supposedly asking for advice, only to forget it so fast that you never even come back to acknowledge with a single post.

Wow.  ???
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2009, 02:29:19 PM »
Well, I'm 46 but I'd say it's been in the last 2 years things have really taken off. I got into forex (foreign currency trading) ..learned a lot about it. I found an automated trading program, I came up with some strategies. Now I program it..it trades while I sleep.. A lot of mornings I wake up and it's made $10,000.00 while I slept. My story isn't typical, but shows you can find stuff after 40. I will never work for anyone again. Stay positive and don't worry about your age. Nothing wrong with being a late bloomer.

Interesting! Are you using forex rebellion?
tank u jesus

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:46 PM »
hi, well according to california muscle i need to come back and reply to all the comments, mostly negative!? why in the hell would i need to do that! positive advice was/would be welcomed, but i guess i was asking too much, but i will state a few things before i sign off:

1)baygbm: you only know what i have told you so don't presume, as far as your sarcastic rolling your eyes icon about how i "only" wanted to be a studio executive, i never said that i expected it to happen overnight, i clearly thought if it did ever happen it would take me a 10 to 20 years or more and i realize that 95 percent of the people in lala land are assholes, nutjobs and not good people and wasn't willing to fill my life with these kind of people 12 to 14 hours a day in the hope that i just might get to be where i want to be and there is no guarentee. so no thank you!

2)victorvondoom: as far as your comment about how i realize i would have to work hard, sacrifice and buckle down and the pt assistant world wasn't glamorous i decided to bail out, YOU KNOW NOTHING. i've worked hard and sacrificed for shit for my entire life! 3 jobs at one time, 70 to 80 hours a week for years and so on. don' presume when you know nothing!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »
hi, well according to california muscle i need to come back and reply to all the comments, mostly negative!? why in the hell would i need to do that! positive advice was/would be welcomed, but i guess i was asking too much, but i will state a few things before i sign off:

1)baygbm: you only know what i have told you so don't presume, as far as your sarcastic rolling your eyes icon about how i "only" wanted to be a studio executive, i never said that i expected it to happen overnight, i clearly thought if it did ever happen it would take me a 10 to 20 years or more and i realize that 95 percent of the people in lala land are assholes, nutjobs and not good people and wasn't willing to fill my life with these kind of people 12 to 14 hours a day in the hope that i just might get to be where i want to be and there is no guarentee. so no thank you!

2)victorvondoom: as far as your comment about how i realize i would have to work hard, sacrifice and buckle down and the pt assistant world wasn't glamorous i decided to bail out, YOU KNOW NOTHING. i've worked hard and sacrificed for shit for my entire life! 3 jobs at one time, 70 to 80 hours a week for years and so on. don' presume when you know nothing!

Don't presume what?  You said yourself that you "wanted to be in the film industry as an executive for a studio or production company."  In any case, you are correct.  I know nothing more than what you have written (though everyone here agrees that what you wrote was decidedly unflattering).  I actually thought of you yesterday . . .  I was on a flight from LAX and reading The Lost Symbol, the new novel by Dan Brown (author of The Da Vinci Code); I thought of you because you previously mentioned the prospect of a writing career, and I endorsed it as a legitimate prospect.  I did give you positive advice, but I also gave a dose of reality; if that troubles you, so be it.  I am not the person you should be annoyed with as I did not author your present circumstances—you did that.  I sincerely wish you good luck with your career…

...working only part time as a manager at a recreational center in the midwest hating it, the pay sucks and there is no chance for me to move up and i hate everyone i work with! and since it's only part time i'm actually living with my brother which while i love him, it sucks that i'm a grown man and living this way.

By the way, how can you be a "manager" at the rec center if you are only there "part time"?   ???

Alas, Winter is still coming.  :-[

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2009, 04:38:30 AM »
I don't how anyone can work for someone else or a company where there are rules you HAVE to follow.  I could never have a job where I have to be there at a certain time.  The last time I punched a time clock was 1985.  I worked at Chevron Refinery in El Segundo and bringing home $400 to $600 a week that we needed to help make sure we had everything for our new daughter.  When I started doing commercials and stuff if I had to wake up at 4am I had no problem with it.  I was so excited I could barely sleep anyway.  In fact I would leave early and sleep in my car in the parking lot of where I had to be sometimes.  I have worked many many jobs but just did not like the rules.  Even when I owned the Gold's in Kona I had rules but they could be modified when I thought right.  I love the way I make my money now and do it at my own pace and pays me very very well.  

LOL. Been there...done that. Sometimes I'd pull into honeyland, and security was always great.
Sometimes, they'd even open up the winne's. I can't tell you how many big name stars whose beds I've slept in. :P ;)

ps: You might be excited at the prospect of waking up at 4am, ...but i can assure you when you have to do it routinely, after a 22:00hr wrap, and 2 hrs travel time to get home...it gets pretty stale, pretty quickly. Turn around is crucial. Commercials are a walk in the park... try operating like that on a feature film... over time it'll take it's toll.
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
Another studio opening at Disney!  Don't cry for him though... I'm sure he is leaving with tons of money in the bank.    ;)

Walt Disney Studios President Mark Zoradi resigns
November 9, 2009 |  4:01 pm
In a continued housecleaning at Walt Disney Co., studio distribution veteran Mark Zoradi is leaving the company after 29 years.

The departure of Zoradi, president of Disney's motion pictures group, follows the ousting of his former boss, Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook and Miramax Films President Daniel Battsek.

The studio is being remade under Cook's successor, Rich Ross, who was formerly president of Disney Channels Worldwide.

During his nearly three decades at the company, Zoradi worked in the television, home entertainment and film divisions, most recently overseeing worldwide marketing and distribution for pictures made under the Walt Disney Studios, Pixar Animation Studios and Disneynature banners.

This weekend, Zoradi received the Louis B. Mayer motion picture business leader of the year award from the UCLA Anderson School of Management.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »
LOL...well out of order!
Almost always, yes.

jetcity

• Getbig II
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2009, 10:05:21 AM »
find a decent job you like and stay with it, consistency is the key to success!

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »

...so now, i'm sitting here thinking : where do i go from here? granted, i look alot younger and act alot younger than almost 45, but i'm still my age you know! and i'm tired of being poor and struggling and now with the economy the way it is nationwide, i'm searching for answers!!!!!!!!!!

Get used to it.  Bah ha ha ha ha ha

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
Any updates, Tom? :)
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►