Author Topic: Ventura wins $1.8M from Chris Kyles estate  (Read 25868 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Ventura wins $1.8M from Chris Kyles estate
« on: June 07, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »
Shameful.

Ex-Minn. Gov. Jesse Ventura sues Navy SEAL Chris Kyle’s widow
By Jessica Chasmar-The Washington Times Sunday, June 2, 2013

Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura has decided to substitute Chris Kyle’s wife, Taya, in a defamation suit he has filed against the slain Navy SEAL.

Mr. Ventura last year sued the decorated sailor, who authored “American Sniper,” claiming that the book’s description of a California bar fight defamed him, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Kyle, nicknamed America’s “most lethal sniper,” was killed at a Texas shooting range in February by a young veteran he was mentoring.

“Although Kyle is deceased, his ‘American Sniper’ book continues to sell and it is soon to be made into a movie,” read the claim filed last week by attorney David Bradley Olsen.

Mr. Ventura’s attorneys said the claims live on despite Kyle’s death, and “it would be unjust to permit the estate to continue to profit from Kyle’s wrongful conduct and to leave Governor Ventura without redress for ongoing damage to his reputation,” the Star Tribune reports.

Mrs. Kyle’s attorney filed a response Wednesday, calling the development a disappointment.

“Continuing this action will serve no useful purpose,” lawyer John Borger wrote, “and likely will promote public perception of Jesse Ventura as someone who has little or no regard for the feelings and welfare of surviving family members of deceased war heroes.”

A hearing is slated for June 17 in Minneapolis, the Star Tribune reports.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/2/ex-minn-gov-jesse-ventura-sues-navy-seal-chris-kyl/

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Ex-Minn. Gov. Jesse Ventura sues Navy SEAL Chris Kyle’s widow
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
What a fucking classless scumbag. I lost all respect for him. Side wasn't even a SEAL.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
What a fucking classless scumbag. I lost all respect for him. Side wasn't even a SEAL.

Yep.  You need to pick your battles.  This is one he really shouldn't be fighting. 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
I don't know.  I'm mixed about this.  Very tacky but business is business.  If it didnt happen or happen the way Kyle said it did, Ventura should have the right to clear his name. 
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
I don't know.  I'm mixed about this.  Very tacky but business is business.  If it didnt happen or happen the way Kyle said it did, Ventura should have the right to clear his name. 

I can see both sides of this, although he doesn't really need to clear his name.  I doubt he has lost anything as a result of the allegations made against him.  It sounds like he just wants money.  And now it will come at the expense of a widow and her kids.  Pretty bad PR move.  Also selfish.  Shortsighted.  Heartless.  Etc.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
Jesse looks like a complete tool here. 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
I can see both sides of this, although he doesn't really need to clear his name.  I doubt he has lost anything as a result of the allegations made against him.  It sounds like he just wants money.  And now it will come at the expense of a widow and her kids.  Pretty bad PR move.  Also selfish.  Shortsighted.  Heartless.  Etc.

I see your point.  Ventura comes off looking like a vindictive ass. 
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
He has a right to clear his name....just because Chris died because of his stupidity doesn't mean his lies should stand
A

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 10:44:57 PM »
You can't just automatically call this shameful. ::)  If Jesse didn't do this he needs to clear his name and there is nothing wrong with doing that. You don't just put a stop on this kind of shit because the person who accused you died.  Nowhere does that happen so I don't know what some of you are thinking.  It's not about going after Kyle's widow ::)  

I know several people made up their minds on the notion that Ventura did do this from DAY 1!!!! which in itself is pretty fucked up.

I don't have a problem with a person pushing a case forward to get at the truth either way.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 12:04:23 AM »
she should just remove that line from the book.  His book sounds like it's terrific.  it doesn't need a tale of a bar fight.

if the fight really happened (do we have any evidence?), it would be easy to prove.  Or just pull those pages out.  Not a huge deal. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 01:37:08 AM »
she should just remove that line from the book.  His book sounds like it's terrific.  it doesn't need a tale of a bar fight.

if the fight really happened (do we have any evidence?), it would be easy to prove.  Or just pull those pages out.  Not a huge deal.  
kinda too late for that.

Damage is done. There's no shortage of people who think this shit happened and have admonished Ventura for it.

He's totally within bounds to try to clear his name if he didn't do this.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »
good for ventura,that's his right.it's funny how the ones on here complaining about rights would have a problem with this  ::)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 07:18:01 AM »
Yeah, Ventura has every right to clear his name if it's not true.  Just cause Kyle died doesn't mean it should stop.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 08:46:10 AM »
He has a right to clear his name....just because Chris died because of his stupidity doesn't mean his lies should stand

How exactly do you know he lied? Fucking Ventura is persona non grata in the SEAL community. And please expound on the how "Chris dies because of his stupidity". Here's an idea, don't speak on subjects have not clue one about.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
How exactly do you know he lied? Fucking Ventura is persona non grata in the SEAL community. And please expound on the how "Chris dies because of his stupidity". Here's an idea, don't speak on subjects have not clue one about.

Bringing a guy along with PTSD to a rifle range is stupid.  As far as whether he lied or not, that's the whole point of the lawsuit.  His wife is still profiting off of his book and reaping the benefits of Chris Kyle's story.

Personally, I think he lied because no one else has came forward to say it actually happenned and the owner never witnessed anything of the sort.
A

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »
I assure you, not many fucks are given.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »

Bringing a guy along with PTSD to a rifle range is stupid.  As far as whether he lied or not, that's the whole point of the lawsuit.  His wife is still profiting off of his book and reaping the benefits of Chris Kyle's story.

Personally, I think he lied because no one else has came forward to say it actually happenned and the owner never witnessed anything of the sort.

Only a simpleton like yourself would buy into the MSM narrative, that all vets are ticking time bombs ::) From what I can gather about his service in the marines:
Reserve Marine with the MOS 2111 Small Arms Repairer/Technician, a far cry from scout sniper status. The odds of this assclown having PTSD from combat are about as good as you having PTSD from combat. Kyle didn't know Routh, he knew Routh's mother who asked him to help her son. Who knows what kind of horse shit he told his parents to explain being a fucking looser.

PTSD has not one fucking thing to do with this act of cold blooded murder.

The truth will come to light about this whole episode, and I'll put my money on Chris Kyle
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »
Only a simpleton like yourself would buy into the MSM narrative, that all vets are ticking time bombs ::) From what I can gather about his service in the marines:
Reserve Marine with the MOS 2111 Small Arms Repairer/Technician, a far cry from scout sniper status. The odds of this assclown having PTSD from combat are about as good as you having PTSD from combat. Kyle didn't know Routh, he knew Routh's mother who asked him to help her son. Who knows what kind of horse shit he told his parents to explain being a fucking looser.

PTSD has not one fucking thing to do with this act of cold blooded murder.

The truth will come to light about this whole episode, and I'll put my money on Chris Kyle

brahhahahahaha somebody is making up his own facts  :D :D :D I guess we know who the simpleton is

Mr. Routh, 25, and his relatives told the police in recent weeks and months that he had been deeply troubled and was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, according to court documents. He had a series of run-ins with the authorities in parts of North Texas, and had threatened to kill himself at least once, police records show.

Mr. Routh had been undergoing treatment at the Dallas V.A. Medical Center and Green Oaks Hospital, a psychiatric center in Dallas. On Jan. 24, Mr. Routh was released from the Dallas V.A. center but soon returned, and he was again released on Jan. 29, said his lawyers, R. Shay Isham and J. Warren St. John. On both occasions, Mr. Routh’s father and mother, Raymond and Jodi Routh, had protested his release, the lawyers said.

“She was begging them not to let him loose,” Mr. Isham said.

Four days after Mr. Routh’s release, Mr. Kyle, 38, and a friend, Chad Littlefield, 35, took Mr. Routh to a rural shooting range to help the young man, one of the ways Mr. Kyle often assisted troubled veterans. For reasons that remain unclear, the authorities said, Mr. Routh turned a semiautomatic handgun on the two men, shooting both multiple times and fleeing in Mr. Kyle’s truck before he was captured hours later near his home in the Dallas suburb of Lancaster.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »
If Ventura feels strongly about pursuing it, he should do that.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
If Ventura feels strongly about pursuing it, he should do that.
Going after a dead mans wife for something her husband said? Pretty petty, and pretty classless, especially when the guy basically built his career on a lie, the guy was never a SEAL (He was UDT, which is not at all the same thing, although he did go through SOME of the same training SEALs do)

Even if Ventura is telling the truth (which I doubt), the guy is fucking dead, just move on. Its not like everyone is going to suddenly go "Oh, he sued the widow, he must be telling the truth, I believe him now!"

The damage is done, and he's just making himself look like an ass by going after someone that had NOTHING to do with the situation.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »
Going after a dead mans wife for something her husband said? Pretty petty, and pretty classless, especially when the guy basically built his career on a lie, the guy was never a SEAL (He was UDT, which is not at all the same thing, although he did go through SOME of the same training SEALs do)

Even if Ventura is telling the truth (which I doubt), the guy is fucking dead, just move on. Its not like everyone is going to suddenly go "Oh, he sued the widow, he must be telling the truth, I believe him now!"

The damage is done, and he's just making himself look like an ass by going after someone that had NOTHING to do with the situation.

I wonder if you would feel that way if you were a public figure?

I don't know who lied and who didn't, but shouldn't the parties at least have the opportunity to resolve the issue in court?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »

I wonder if you would feel that way if you were a public figure?

I don't know who lied and who didn't, but shouldn't the parties at least have the opportunity to resolve the issue in court?

I'm pretty sure I would, if the man who had slandered me had already died in the way this man did. His beef was with the man, not the wife.

Me personally, if someone talks shit and I know it's false, I just state my case and let it be, because people are going to believe whichever story they want, and no one is going to convince them any differently without some for of hard evidence.

Is going after the wife really going to change anything? Are people going to suddenly stop believing the SEALs story? They wont, they'll just think that Ventura is that much more of a douche for attacking a widow that didn't do shit to him. Plus, it's not like Ventura has a shitload of credibility anyway, as I said, dude basically built his career on a lie, and he's out there talking about all kinds of conspiracy theories all over the place.

At this point, it'd be best for him to just move on, he's not going to make himself look any better and he's not going to change anything. Suck it up and move on.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »

If she's still profiting from the lie, he has a right to defend himself.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 01:03:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure I would, if the man who had slandered me had already died in the way this man did. His beef was with the man, not the wife.

Me personally, if someone talks shit and I know it's false, I just state my case and let it be, because people are going to believe whichever story they want, and no one is going to convince them any differently without some for of hard evidence.

Is going after the wife really going to change anything? Are people going to suddenly stop believing the SEALs story? They wont, they'll just think that Ventura is that much more of a douche for attacking a widow that didn't do shit to him. Plus, it's not like Ventura has a shitload of credibility anyway, as I said, dude basically built his career on a lie, and he's out there talking about all kinds of conspiracy theories all over the place.

At this point, it'd be best for him to just move on, he's not going to make himself look any better and he's not going to change anything. Suck it up and move on.

Completely agree. 

How big of a dirtbag is Ventura for doing this?

American Sniper became a major success, hitting No. 1 on the New York Times bestsellers' list where it remained for seven weeks.

Kyle took none of the royalties from the book, according to his publisher, William Morrow, and DeFelice.

DeFelice said Kyle donated his royalties to the families of two Navy Seals, Marc Lee and Ryan Job, who fought alongside him in a 2006 battle that led to their deaths.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/02/03/4596644/sheriff-navy-seal-and-friend-shot.html#storylink=cpy

Good job Jesse.   ::)

This is one of those "can versus should" type of decisions.  Yes, he can do it and has the right to do so.  No, he shouldn't try and take money away from the families of veterans who gave their lives serving their country, over a few paragraphs in a book.  He really comes across as a butt-hurt sissy.   

What happened to the tough guy with one of the greatest lines in movie history, who once upset the political apple cart?  Is he on drugs or something?