Author Topic: Ceramic Coating for Autos  (Read 3755 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Ceramic Coating for Autos
« on: July 05, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »
Anyone had this done at a shop?  Or did it yourself?  What price did the shop charge you if so?

BB related - will be used to photograph my Kamali inspired Mr. O ready physique since my kitchen lights went out.

ESFitness related - will be used to deflect SWAT aerial spy drones as I smuggle heroin encrusted guitar strings to the next drop off urinal for my Hollywood contact.  Even though he is a dick.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
Re: Ceramic Coating for Autos
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »
Anyone had this done at a shop?  Or did it yourself?  What price did the shop charge you if so?

BB related - will be used to photograph my Kamali inspired Mr. O ready physique since my kitchen lights went out.

ESFitness related - will be used to deflect SWAT aerial spy drones as I smuggle heroin encrusted guitar strings to the next drop off urinal for my Hollywood contact.  Even though he is a dick.

you know like only 4 people post here and NONE of them are able to give you answer

why not- I dunno use google

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 06:37:31 PM »
Too bad parker isnt around he would most likely have an educated opinion on it

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 06:39:18 PM »
parker always responds to me cuz colored folk got to stick together

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 07:58:38 PM »

Personally I stick to tried and true.

If you want to get a very good finish. Just wash it very well, clay bar it, and then add a sealant either a wax or polymer sealant... Your gtg.

As for this stuff it's overhyped imo.

pwrnxs

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »
I did our cars with CQuartz and when you do it right nothing comes close.  Put some Reload on a few times a year and you're set.  Your paint needs to be corrected and polished or the time and effort IMO is a waste.  Watch lots of vids 1st.  If you let it sit too long before wiping off the excess it will cure and leave an oily looking spot which will have to be polished, then re-applied.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 04:17:27 AM »
you know like only 4 people post here and NONE of them are able to give you answer

why not- I dunno use google

Because most of the "info" out there is paid advertisements and not actual opinions.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 07:58:22 AM »
Ok, for those interested, I just stopped by a shop and basically it is a high gloss clear coat for the existing clear coat. 

$1000 for a 5 year application (with warranty), but once you get it, you can never ever take it through a machine car wash again.  And they recommend washing the car at least twice a month. 

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 06:18:12 PM »
I had opticoat Pro done on my Buick. They did paint correction, interior and underhood detailing, coated the car body, windows, trim, and inner and outer wheels, with a 7 years warranty for $1200. It has been 2.5 years and is holding up really well.

rollin

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 09:48:18 PM »
I detail cars and do ceramic coats. Ceramic coat is easy to apply. The hard part is the paint correction. You need to get out all the scratches, swirls, and hazes
prior to applying the coating. The coating is like super glue once its on its on and if you put it over scratches it basically locks them in.

If You want to do it yourself here is how:
Get a dual action polisher. Harbor freight has them for around 80 Bucks

Wash and clay your car. You can also use a deiron decontamination spray. Wash and rinse dry.
Then start with an orange pad and compound. You go little areas at a time. You put on take off its not
like wax you let haze. You do multiple passes. You do this at speed 4 or 5.
Once you compound the car. Step 2 get a good polish. You can use a blue pad for this unless there are still alot of scratches
Do it the sames as the compound. After the car looks good then do an ipa (isopropol alcohol like an 70-30 blend with water) wipe down
this picks up any residue and gets the panel ready for ceramic. Go on amazon buy a 9H ceramic. Usually 50-100 for decent ones.
Do a 2 by 2 panels. Let it only hazee like 45 seconds and wipe off. Sometimes I will do a car 3 coats.

But ask yourself do you want 8-12 hours a work. The cost of all the equipment and product.
It can cost you almost what a pro would do it for.

If you want a kinda ceramic that is really good at repelling dirt and water with ease that is spray on wipe off
look for these products. They actually work great like ceramic coating. You just dont get the hardness of a real ceramic coat.

Neo Armor by Rev Auto
P&S Bead Maker
Mequires Ceramic Detailer

rollin

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 09:56:15 PM »
Ok, for those interested, I just stopped by a shop and basically it is a high gloss clear coat for the existing clear coat. 

$1000 for a 5 year application (with warranty), but once you get it, you can never ever take it through a machine car wash again.  And they recommend washing the car at least twice a month.

That is ridiculous they told you that cant take it through a wash. A good ceramic coat is 9H hard as diamonds and a car wash shouldn't effect it unless it was some garbage ceramic coat.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 07:18:20 AM »
That is ridiculous they told you that cant take it through a wash. A good ceramic coat is 9H hard as diamonds and a car wash shouldn't effect it unless it was some garbage ceramic coat.

Really?  They said you had to hand wash it because the chemicals in the auto car washes stripped it.   They also said that if you apply Armor All or WET to the tires to spray it on a cloth and then wipe the tires because the compound could get on the rims (that they treat as well) and cause permanent staining.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 07:19:28 AM »
I had opticoat Pro done on my Buick. They did paint correction, interior and underhood detailing, coated the car body, windows, trim, and inner and outer wheels, with a 7 years warranty for $1200. It has been 2.5 years and is holding up really well.

Do you run yours through the car wash or hand wash?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 07:20:15 AM »
I detail cars and do ceramic coats. Ceramic coat is easy to apply. The hard part is the paint correction. You need to get out all the scratches, swirls, and hazes
prior to applying the coating. The coating is like super glue once its on its on and if you put it over scratches it basically locks them in.

If You want to do it yourself here is how:
Get a dual action polisher. Harbor freight has them for around 80 Bucks

Wash and clay your car. You can also use a deiron decontamination spray. Wash and rinse dry.
Then start with an orange pad and compound. You go little areas at a time. You put on take off its not
like wax you let haze. You do multiple passes. You do this at speed 4 or 5.
Once you compound the car. Step 2 get a good polish. You can use a blue pad for this unless there are still alot of scratches
Do it the sames as the compound. After the car looks good then do an ipa (isopropol alcohol like an 70-30 blend with water) wipe down
this picks up any residue and gets the panel ready for ceramic. Go on amazon buy a 9H ceramic. Usually 50-100 for decent ones.
Do a 2 by 2 panels. Let it only hazee like 45 seconds and wipe off. Sometimes I will do a car 3 coats.

But ask yourself do you want 8-12 hours a work. The cost of all the equipment and product.
It can cost you almost what a pro would do it for.

If you want a kinda ceramic that is really good at repelling dirt and water with ease that is spray on wipe off
look for these products. They actually work great like ceramic coating. You just dont get the hardness of a real ceramic coat.

Neo Armor by Rev Auto
P&S Bead Maker
Mequires Ceramic Detailer

They said I had to have it applied in the morning and picked up the next afternoon.  They wanted it to set 18 hours in their garage to "cure" before driving it out.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 08:17:53 AM »
Do you run yours through the car wash or hand wash?

Hand wash with a special solution from opticoat.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »
Hand wash with a special solution from opticoat.

Thanks for replying!

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
I have a friend with the same ceramic coating as myself. He frequently uses car washes and the installer recommends he brings it back to their shop in the spring for a complete detail.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 04:19:29 AM »
I have a friend with the same ceramic coating as myself. He frequently uses car washes and the installer recommends he brings it back to their shop in the spring for a complete detail.

Has he had it long?

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 06:38:03 AM »
^^^ He had it applied ~2 years ago. I'll try to get feedback on how it is holding up using the car wash.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 09:07:22 AM »
Why ceramic coat when you can velvet coat?  Just don't be a moron and leave it out in the rain.

RihanaB

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 09:14:04 AM »
I’ve coated mine twice now. First detail took around 40 hours including the coating second time was 25 ish due to only a light polish done to remove the previous coat and then coat with gyeon synchro. Coat itself takes around 2 hour per coat of gyeon MOHs then wait 4hour and 2 hours to coat with gyeon skin. This was on my m135i

I’d say learn to do it your self if you have the garage for car as it needs to stay dry. More tips on website

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »
I have CQuartrz Finest Reserve and Xpel clear wrap on both my vehicles. No issues with laser washing and they protect well.

Xpel protects the most especially over the nose and hood.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 06:56:38 PM »

;D.                          ;D

I use this on my  C6 Vette & SL63

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K46RD7Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

;D.                         ;D

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 09:19:42 AM »
She hasn't had it done it yet.  From what the shop told us, she needs to bring it in one morning and pick it up the next evening.  It has to sit in the garage for 24 hours for the coating to set.   But they also said you have to keep it out of the rain for 4-5 days afterwards as well.   Which is the problem.  Here in S. Fl we have not had even 2-3 days without consecutive sunshine on her schedule.

So will most likely wait until hurricane season is over to get it done.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 09:33:20 AM »
I wash my car once a year, whether it needs it or not.