Author Topic: How hard is life where you live?  (Read 11660 times)

Dave D

• Getbig V
Re: How hard is life where you live?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2020, 04:36:09 PM »
Is that so? Tell me more about things i know that are true which you say are lies.

Mike we need your address. I’ll come by next week to verify if your keys are in the car with the windows down.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2020, 05:00:39 PM »
Is that so? Tell me more about things i know that are true which you say are lies.
Chill bro.  I wasn't talking to you.  I don't live in Mayberry either.  In the vast majority of American cities and larger population centers some drug addict will rob your car if you leave it unlocked.  There's a reason people have all those security systems and video cams installed.

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2020, 05:34:16 PM »

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 05:52:41 PM »
In Bangkok - it's mixed.

It's really hard to find a good job - but really easy to find a $1000 a month crappy teaching support job and live like a pauper.

I came on a contract, then got offered a position to stay and be a director in a company. When I quit that (decided against joining a buyout) - there was NOTHING for me. I had to persuade a Japanese company to let me start a company for them here.

Visas are a pain till you hit 50. Security-wise - very safe, but you know - there's idiots everywhere. And there is a chance of marrying a young chick that wants to take all your money then bump you off.

You can't own land and the laws seem anti-foreigner but I find that people are nice to you if you are nice to them. You cannot pull the "angry American here" but it's fun to watch when people do.

The country pretty much runs on "if you do something and hurt yourself - it's your fault". So you can do adventurous stuff that wouldn't be allowed (or they'd have taken the fun out of) in more 'developed' countries. This does of course lead to occasional deaths but whatever.

Road rage is rare, everyone in Bangkok drives like an asshole - by the time you got angry and finished shouting at the guy that just cut you off - 2 other people already did the same. So fuck it. Drive like an asshole too.

Food is amazing and cheap. Western food is a bit expensive. Bangkok has 1000s of restaurants - so whatever you want, you can get. Houses are cheap. Cars are very expensive - I have 3 cars and the combined price I paid for the 3 was $350k but my main house in Bangkok cost $250k and the upcountry house cost a ridiculous $25k to build a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom spacey bungalow.

International schools are expensive but local schools are terrible - figure in about $15k a year minimum per kid - but don't be daft and start paying that when they are 3 yrs old in an international pre-school. Thai school till 5 is fine.

There is nobody here to tell you to put the brakes on - so if you survive the first few years, it's a nice life. There is a lot of tempation and you need to slow things down.

You can't own land and the laws seem anti-foreigner but all laws here are just guidelines and money can see you walk away from any indiscretion. There's this idea that traffic accidents and the like will always see the foreigner blamed - but I just haven't experienced it -just don't be an asshole and shout at everyone and you will be treated equally.

What I like - you still have to double-take all the time, there's so many crazy things going on.

One that sticks in my head was one night I was driving and drinking - I stopped drinking at 10pm and we left the place about 1am and I drove straignt to a checkpoint on Sukhumvit Rd. They took me out of the car and got be to blow into the machine. The threshold was 80 at the time. So I blew and they put it on the table to watch. Up it went 40-50-60... then got to 70 and was slowly creeping up. 75 passed and I thought I was screwed till it stopped at 78.1. We all sat and stared for a few seconds - to see if it would go any higher and when it didn't all the cops around screamed in delight - laughing, patting me on the back, calling me "lucky man". asking me what I thought the lottery number would be on Saturday.

Absolutely hilarious - where I am from they would have given me a 30-minute lecture for being so close but I think it made these cops night.

It's not for everyone but after 22 years, I doubt I'd live anywhere else.

Just don't sell up your shit at home and buy a bar here 'cause you met some young fuckpiece that says she loves you. She doesn't - you are one of many and it's likely she has a Thai husband.

What's wrong with you & other old Pomie farangs, it's 2020 not bloody 1980 !. Never ending  :'( :'( :'(

I have a Thai Elite Visa, so no issues !.

Kingdom of Thailand don't sell land to Chings & others like Australia,Canada,US,.................so what's wrong with that !.

Farangs can only own 49% of a business/bar !.

ilalin

• Getbig IV
  • Боже правде
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »
I have two average to above average vaginas on rotation and two cars. Both cars are awesome so I'm pretty happy.

Two cars too drive two pussies too tap... I'm set brazzie.

Typical Republican white trash

ilalin

• Getbig IV
  • Боже правде
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 06:13:58 PM »
mexicans dont get citizenship, dont pay taxes, and have no ssn

they can fuck off right back to their uneducated shithole

not everyone needs labor jobs, or dishwashers

the polish could read and write and acted accordingly

park your car on your lawn and fly a mexican flag

youll get jack shit sympathy from me, or any other red blooded american

i didnt get a high school dimploma

got a ged

went to college but didnt graduate

worked as a indipendant contractor for majority of my life

was my own boss. relied only on myself and my skills to hustle and earn money.

now im pretty much done working, will work if there is a great opportunity to make lots of cash. and unclaimable cash.

not gonna pay for you old folks anymore to cry, bitch, and whine

One day when you're old, I hope you remember this post, as I will be pissing on your quadriplegic torso...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2020, 06:31:32 PM »

He's Australian. There is no Rebublican Party. Most vote Labour or Liberal. The Labour Party is liberal, the Liberal Party is conservative, and Christmas is in the middle of summer.

Australia is great. Safe and well to do. The people are idiots but less so than the Americans. Really grateful I got to live here before they burn it to the ground with third world immigration and sell it to China.

My own life is garbage but I can't blame Australia for that.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 06:45:52 PM »

Typical asshole dem running his mouth on the computer allday. Get fucked.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 06:50:03 PM »

America is a great country. What we call poor here is luxury in most of the world. TV, internet, cable, car.... Poor people in the US are mostly fat. Hunger is not a problem here. It's over eating. Minimum wage here will get you around $350/wk after taxes. With one roommate you can rent a decent apartment. If you follow a few basic rules: graduate from high school, don't get involved in drugs and the police, get a job -- any job, and stick with it and work hard you are guaranteed to move up the ladder if you want to. I know two people from high school. One worked at Jack-in-the-Box as a teenager and stuck with it. It's the one and only job he ever had. Today he is a District Manager and making over a 100 grand a year. Another did the exact same thing working for Walmart. Started bagging groceries and bringing in the shopping carts and now making over a $100,000. Now I don't mean you have to stay in one job. But keep working and other opportunities start to present itself. And this is for those that can't afford or don't want to go to college. It's even better if you can get an education.

I wish I could take every crybaby, ungrateful, America-hating ingrate and ship them off to third world countries like yours and let them see how the rest of the world have to live. They would kiss the ground of this country.

This is a bodybuilding board. For many most here that do serious bodybuilding their biggest problem in life is having the time and desire to eat every three hours so they don't go "catabolic."

Life in the U.S. is indeed better than it is in many other countries. Actually, it ranks 15th of 82 out of the countries in the world. Nigeria is at the bottom of the heap and Denmark is number 1. https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp

The current minimum wage in Hawaii is $10.60, going up to $10.80 next year. So your after tax income of $350 seems about right if not a little low since people making minimum wage don't generally pay a lot in income tax. My sister's income is a little over $2,000 a month, $1,200 of it is SSD and therefore not taxed. She gets everything she'd paid in both state and federal income tax back each year. I know because I do her taxes for her.

Rents must be a bit cheaper in parts of Oahu than I thought. Most agree and landlords often require tenant's income be 3 times the rental amount. https://rentberry.com/blog/

In 2020, the average rent for an apartment in Honolulu is $1,881 for an average apartment size of 544 sq. ft.  https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/hi/honolulu/

epic is back

• Getbig V
  • It is only in darkness that light is brightest
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 08:32:34 PM »
One day when you're old, I hope you remember this post, as I will be pissing on your quadriplegic torso...

I’m old now

Come get it

Punk

ElPolloSalmonello

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 08:33:11 PM »
Where do you live now?

Still Bangkok - 22 years and counting

ElPolloSalmonello

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2020, 09:17:26 PM »
What's wrong with you & other old Pomie farangs, it's 2020 not bloody 1980 !. Never ending  :'( :'( :'(

I have a Thai Elite Visa, so no issues !.

Kingdom of Thailand don't sell land to Chings & others like Australia,Canada,US,.................so what's wrong with that !.

Farangs can only own 49% of a business/bar !.

I have my own business but it's internet-based and offshore.  I did run a 100% foreign-owned business here which I got as a benefit from BOI. There also used to be the Amity Treaty for Americans for 100% ownership. When they say one country is easier to do business than another - all it really boils down to is a different amount of work your lawyer does setting it up. Here you jump through hoops.

My son is 18, daughter is 10 - I am from the UK and whenever we go back, we are lucky to get 3 days of decent weather. Then  there's the "limo line" of mobility scooters outside every bloody Wetherspoons in the morning. It's depressing. The kids love the history - the castles & stuff but they don't want to live there.

As for bars - who would want to own a bar full of hookers here? I live in the suburbs, very few Westerners about - and it suits me just fine.

I never actually planned to come here - the Japanese asked me to come over for a project and I decided to take a few months off at the end before heading somewhere else. Obviously that never happened.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »

I’m not Republican, I’m a Conservative. I was basically a single parent until my son was 7. I was a broke personal trainer at the time. I got out of commercial roofing industry after almost 20 years to start my training business solely to spend more time with my baby boy. I worked my ass off and built my training business within 2 years all the while paying attorneys fees fighting to keep custody of my son and within that two years (with no handouts) eventually making a little over $100k within that two years.

4 years after that I bought the home I live in now...in HB on the beach. There’s a lot that went on in between that, but the bottom line is, I made no excuses worked my ass off and have been waking up to the beach and smell of the ocean every morning for the last 17 years. Yeah, California’s Government is just short of communism, but I’ll over come that too.

We’re not guaranteed anything in life nor is anyone entitled. Either you want it or you don’t

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2020, 01:02:00 AM »
I’m not Republican, I’m a Conservative. I was basically a single parent until my son was 7. I was a broke personal trainer at the time. I got out of commercial roofing industry after almost 20 years to start my training business solely to spend more time with my baby boy. I worked my ass off and built my training business within 2 years all the while paying attorneys fees fighting to keep custody of my son and within that two years (with no handouts) eventually making a little over $100k within that two years.

4 years after that I bought the home I live in now...in HB on the beach. There’s a lot that went on in between that, but the bottom line is, I made no excuses worked my ass off and have been waking up to the beach and smell of the ocean every morning for the last 17 years. Yeah, California’s Government is just short of communism, but I’ll over come that too.

We’re not guaranteed anything in life nor is anyone entitled. Either you want it or you don’t

How old were you when you started your training business? I did some roofing, and man, is it a bust ass job! No way I could have lasted 20 years. One year and I felt broken down and knew I couldn't last. And I was in my twenties.

You're an inspiration, Coach. You are what being an American is all about. And it's obvious you passed on your values to your son. Owning his own business at such a young age and doing well and the scoring the Tyson contract. Did he do the shirt I saw Tyson wear where it shows three pictures of him at various points in his career?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2020, 03:34:55 AM »
Roofing is brutal.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2020, 04:00:12 AM »
Roofing is brutal.

Yes it is,I roofed first many years when younger and would usually do 60 hours a week and hit the gym after 10 hours on a roof 5 days a week. Was brutal but loved it at the time.

ghcard

• Getbig II
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2020, 10:51:53 AM »
Thank you all that posted so far. There was a lot of good stories.

I wish I could move to america, but it is not as easy as it seems. My degree will not be worth nothing over there.
I think I could work as draftsman, which I was most of my life, I am really good at that, actually I even teach solidworks and autocad (softwares that we use, they are called CAD computer aided design)
I know how to work with a lot of manual things also, like I am a welder really good at TIG and MIG.
Another thing that I dont know how it is called, but its the guy that works before the welder do his job, the guy that cut, bend, roll the stell sheets, structural components like angle and I-bean, in portuguese it is called "caldeireiro".

I even know how to do nails lol, I am saying because one member mentioned nail saloon lol

All things that I think that having a job to work I could at least live a reasonable life, 10x better than here.

But it is very hard to find a job overseas and the company willing to wait for you to move.
It usually happens but with IT or high level positions, like manager, director...

There are a lot of guys that go to the USA but as visitor or ilegal cross the border.. and when get there they need to find a job to live...
I can not do that, I mean if I was single and all.. but my wife is just to have our baby, I would need to go at least with a job guaranteed, it could be anything, I wouldn't mind doing anything as long as it is licit.

This shithole country really pisses me off.

I didn't even mention the things we are going trough with my father that is fighting cancer because I see a lot of guys don't like new members and have to take their time to get familiarized to... but it is not being easy my friends...

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2020, 11:44:45 AM »
Yeah if you came here you would have to go back to college, they won't accept your degree here.  But you could still work up the food chain; start doing CAD and then learn design process and construction management.  I work in Structural Engineering, Design and Construction.  One guy i work with is from the Philippines, had a double major Civil Engineering/Construction Management degree from there; completely useless here.  However he started doing design and some construction management, learned everything he could and became a project manager.  He makes really good money, just isn't considered an engineer, but he can engineer bridges better than almost all the PE's we have on staff.  Go figure.

I have CAD operators that work for me that make $35 per hour, plus time and a half overtime.  Once you learn real design and design your own projects from start to finish, it gets up to $40-45 per hour.  Not a bad living.  Some of the CAD Managers and Senior Lead Designers make $50-60 per hour.  There is always hope. 

ghcard

• Getbig II
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2020, 11:55:57 AM »
Yeah if you came here you would have to go back to college, they won't accept your degree here.  But you could still work up the food chain; start doing CAD and then learn design process and construction management.  I work in Structural Engineering, Design and Construction.  One guy i work with is from the Philippines, had a double major Civil Engineering/Construction Management degree from there; completely useless here.  However he started doing design and some construction management, learned everything he could and became a project manager.  He makes really good money, just isn't considered an engineer, but he can engineer bridges better than almost all the PE's we have on staff.  Go figure.

I have CAD operators that work for me that make $35 per hour, plus time and a half overtime.  Once you learn real design and design your own projects from start to finish, it gets up to $40-45 per hour.  Not a bad living.  Some of the CAD Managers and Senior Lead Designers make $50-60 per hour.  There is always hope.

Oh man, you are making me want to kill myself, I would happily work for less than half of those numbers.

Once you learn real design and design your own projects from start to finish, it gets up to $40-45 per hour.

I know all of that my friend, and I am a very good one, I dont know if you read my first post, but I mentioned that I do the whole full project/design, like I literally design the whole especial machine that do whatever, or die tool, or injection mould, progressive die tool, weldind devices, dimensional devices...
I do the whole design, blueprints, I create the manufacturing process, like milling, turning, steel specifications...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »

I am both a Democrat and a moderate liberal.

At my age, I no longer get up on the roof. It is a 6-in-12 pitch which doesn't seem that steep until your standing on it. The is is a cedar shake roof doesn't help. When I was in my 30's we lived in a home with a 8-in-12 pitch composition roof. I had no trouble back then climbing around on it.

A few years ago, I had LeafGuard gutters installed. They are expensive but for as long as I own the house they're guarantee insures I never have to clean them. Every few years I call LeafGuard to come out an service them which amounts to hosing out any silt and cleaning the filters in the downspouts. Leaves used to be a big problem. The old gutters had to be cleaned out several times a year.

I didn't realize you lived right on the beachfront. That's amazing!  Are you S. Pacific Ave. or on a waterway on the other side of Pacific Coast Hwy 1? Don't even modest beachfront properties there run into the several millions today?  In the more popular beach towns in Oregon ocean front properties also run into the millions. 

Here's a "little shack" located on the beach in Huntington Beach, CA that's going for $5 mil.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »
Yes it is,I roofed first many years when younger and would usually do 60 hours a week and hit the gym after 10 hours on a roof 5 days a week. Was brutal but loved it at the time.
I could do shit like than when I was young as well.  It would kill me now.

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2020, 01:31:47 PM »

At my age, I no longer get up on the roof. It is a 6-in-12 pitch which doesn't seem that steep until your standing on it. The is is a cedar shake roof doesn't help. When I was in my 30's we lived in a home with a 8-in-12 pitch composition roof. I had no trouble back then climbing around on it.

90% of getbiggers would be happy if you fell down from the roof  ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »
Life in the U.S. is indeed better than it is in many other countries. Actually, it ranks 15th of 82 out of the countries in the world. Nigeria is at the bottom of the heap and Denmark is number 1. https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp

The current minimum wage in Hawaii is $10.60, going up to $10.80 next year. So your after tax income of $350 seems about right if not a little low since people making minimum wage don't generally pay a lot in income tax. My sister's income is a little over $2,000 a month, $1,200 of it is SSD and therefore not taxed. She gets everything she'd paid in both state and federal income tax back each year. I know because I do her taxes for her.

Rents must be a bit cheaper in parts of Oahu than I thought. Most agree and landlords often require tenant's income be 3 times the rental amount. https://rentberry.com/blog/

In 2020, the average rent for an apartment in Honolulu is $1,881 for an average apartment size of 544 sq. ft.  https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/hi/honolulu/

Why are you telling me this? I know you like to display your skills with google but I can do that if I was interested, and being that I actually live here I am well aware of the cost of housing and the minimum wage,

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2020, 02:14:12 PM »
mexicans dont get citizenship, dont pay taxes, and have no ssn

they can fuck off right back to their uneducated shithole

not everyone needs labor jobs, or dishwashers

the polish could read and write and acted accordingly

park your car on your lawn and fly a mexican flag

youll get jack shit sympathy from me, or any other red blooded american

i didnt get a high school dimploma

got a ged

went to college but didnt graduate

worked as a indipendant contractor for majority of my life

was my own boss. relied only on myself and my skills to hustle and earn money.

now im pretty much done working, will work if there is a great opportunity to make lots of cash. and unclaimable cash.

not gonna pay for you old folks anymore to cry, bitch, and whine

Well fucking said

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2020, 02:15:57 PM »
Life in the U.S. is indeed better than it is in many other countries. Actually, it ranks 15th of 82 out of the countries in the world. Nigeria is at the bottom of the heap and Denmark is number 1.

Well you can toss that ranking survey then, lol. Spend any time in Denmark? You'd kill yourself after a month. I had a Danish pro cyclist stay at my house a few years ago while he raced for an American team. He pretty much admitted Denmark is a shithole and wanted to move to the USA.

Finland Number three? LMAO. You do know they have one of the highest alcoholism rates in the world? And for good reason. It's boring and half the year it's dark for 20 hours.

I've been to a zillion countries on recreational and business travel. They all have their pluses and minuses. I think Switzerland is one of the most beautiful but also one of the most uptight. Germany is nice but heading the wrong way fast. You can keep all of Asia- it truly sucks there.

When you sum it all up, the best place on the planet is the USA. It's so big you can live in any climate you like and don't have to live on top of people if you don't want to. It has opportunity, natural beauty - everything.

Citizens who hate the USA should leave since they are terminally retarded. Spend some time in Russia and let me know how wonderful it is, haha.