Author Topic: Biomechanical comparison between Reverse Hyperextension and Back Extension  (Read 707 times)

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
Interesting study for those who may have back issues and interested in comparison.

I miss the one we had at local gym, so just bought one (Titan) for garage. Not feeling it (any benefit/repair (like I did w/ reverse hyper) with normal hypers for last 6 months.

https://www.sci-sport.com/en/articles/biomechanical-comparison-between-Reverse-Hyperextension-and-Back-Extension-179.php

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Biomechanical comparison between Reverse Hyperextension and Back Extension
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:32:18 AM »
Stiff legg deadlifts standing on a block or weight on a block , is the key to letting glutes and hams take stress away from low back
A

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
I found those 45 degree back hyper extensions to be just about worthless. The resistance falls off near the top. The old horizontal back hyper extension benches are the best. I hold a plate behind my head but I know some prefer a short barbell behind on their traps. The picture below is what I mean by a horizontal hyper extension bench.

Like Marty said used with a semi stiff leg deadlift in combination with the horizontal hyper extension bench will build a really strong lower back that will be really injury resistant. I use the stiff leg dead with wrist straps standing on a block to clear the 45lbs plates. If you don't have a good block you can use a lot of 25lbs plates standing on the floor.

Used in together the hyper extension bench gets the contraction portion the hardest and the semi stiff leg dead the stretch portion of the lower back and hamstrings.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
Reverse hypers are tits.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 11:02:38 AM »
After reading this thread I tried the Rogue reverse lower back bench.  Found it in the vacation gym I’m working out in.  I haven’t had lower back pain in ages and now I do.  I won’t be using it again. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 11:08:30 AM »
After reading this thread I tried the Rogue reverse lower back bench.  Found it in the vacation gym I’m working out in.  I haven’t had lower back pain in ages and now I do.  I won’t be using it again. 

This?

ghcard

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 11:09:57 AM »
talking about biomechanics with the Ric Drasin topics around made me remember really really good videos that I used to watch him make with Doug Brignole.

I recommend you all to search in ric's chanel and watch all of them with Doug.

He really have right concepts about biomechanics that once he explains it seems so logical and you fell dumb, like asking yourself how didn't you figure out that before??

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
always was a big fan of heavy good-mornings when i was doing my powerlifting shit. 225-275 with a wider stance and slight bend in the knee for 6-7reps did more for my low back than hypers ever did.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Whatever happened to Arthur Jones' MedX back machine?

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 12:00:14 PM »

;D

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
Back extensions have always been one of my favorite exercises, especially done weighted.