Author Topic: Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop  (Read 9927 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2006, 10:18:40 AM »
the cop fired warning shots into the bushes?  WTF?  In a heavily populated residential area he fires shots at that height/level.  This whole thing stinks bigtime.
Like a lot of the other posts here, you are clueless as to context; you have NO idea whether firing into bushes there was at all dangerous. That's in addition to the fact that since you weren't there you really can't appreciate the threat posed by two out of control maniacs-one trying to ram you with a car while screaming, the other the size of Frankenstein walking towards you.

You guys are hillarious.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2006, 10:26:27 AM »

You guys are hillarious.

and you can't even spell it.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2006, 10:30:49 AM »
No one's explained here why warning shots would in any way be a negative given the context, regardless of whether it's part of procedure.

OF COURSE the off-duty copy had to pursue and eventually fire-what else was he to do faced with an immediate threat of a maniac weaving through traffic at 90 barely missing cars, then later very threatening at 6'4" and over 260 walking towards him. Same thing with his out of control girlfriend, screaming then aiming her car at the guy. Hello?  ::) ??? This one's a no-brainer.

obviously  ;D

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2006, 10:45:54 AM »
what else was he to do faced with an immediate threat of a maniac weaving through traffic at 90 barely missing cars, then later very threatening at 6'4" and over 260 walking towards him.

What else was he to do?  How about call the police just like any other ordinary citizen can do.  He had NO...ZERO rights to do what he did.  Him being a cop in another completely separate juristiction makes him nothing.  Him being off duty adds to it. 

Even if your a legit on duty cop there are many other alternatives.  Mace him is the most common...oh so the guy carries a gun but not his mace....tough guy cops are pathetic wanna be tough guys that were picked on when they were younger and allow the badge to make them feel like super heros.  If he was not in his juristiction and was off duty there will be and should be a price to pay.  The guy was apparently UNARMED!!!!!!!!  It aint like he had his own weapon and wouldn't drop it. 

One more thing, for this reason alone cops should be required to at least be capable of holding their own against most of the population.  These weak, fat out of shape cops are ridiculous and the women are worse.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2006, 10:59:41 AM »
Did you know that if an off duty cop tries pulling you over (not in a police car) it is perfectly within your legal right to call 911 on your cell and get directions to the nearest police station, oor location where a marked squad car will be present.  This is a safeguard to prevent people form buying lights for their car and stopping anyone.

Granted, a drunk NFLer wasn't about to use that option.

I think a lot of the situation will depend on at what point the offduty called it in.  If he called 911 or radioed in, the moment he saw the drunk driver, and they just took a while to arrive, it looks like a police operation gone bad.  If he didn't call anything in until after there was a man bleeding on the ground, following multiple confrontations and warning shots, then his ass needs to be off the job.  It takes about 1 second to hit 911 on your cell, if for nothing else than to put a recording of the events on public record.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2006, 11:12:16 AM »
No one's explained here why warning shots would in any way be a negative given the context, regardless of whether it's part of procedure.

OF COURSE the off-duty copy had to pursue and eventually fire-what else was he to do faced with an immediate threat of a maniac weaving through traffic at 90 barely missing cars, then later very threatening at 6'4" and over 260 walking towards him. Same thing with his out of control girlfriend, screaming then aiming her car at the guy. Hello?  ::) ??? This one's a no-brainer.

If firing warning shots into the bushes in a residential neighborhood violates the use of force guidelines (which I suspect it does), then the Coronado PD and the officer should just bring their checkbook. 

I don't think this is a no-brainer at all.  Don't have enough information, but unless the guy was packing and pointing a weapon at the officer, I see a big problem for the officer.  IMO, it would be a no-brainer if the officer was in a marked car, in uniform, identified himself, followed police procedure, and believed he faced an imminent threat to his (or others') safety. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2006, 11:19:58 AM »
What else was he to do?  How about call the police just like any other ordinary citizen can do.  He had NO...ZERO rights to do what he did.  Him being a cop in another completely separate juristiction makes him nothing.  Him being off duty adds to it. 
They were dangerous, and proved it with their actions; waiting for police in that context would've been more dangerous than waiting.

Don't have enough information, but unless the guy was packing and pointing a weapon at the officer, I see a big problem for the officer.
Weaving through traffic at 90, her attacking him with the car, a 6'4" nut walks towards him like a nut aren't serious enough? hahaahahahah

If firing warning shots into the bushes in a residential neighborhood violates the use of force guidelines (which I suspect it does), then the Coronado PD and the officer should just bring their checkbook.
Unlike you, they won't jump to conclusions on incomplete info. They'll also factor in the context, what was happening to create that situation and where the bushes were located in relation to people in the area.

You guys are hillarious.

and you can't even spell it.
He gets the entire thought process wrong jumping to conclusions with speculation based on incomplete info, and is worried about spelling - funnier still.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2006, 11:26:13 AM »
I don't dislike cops, but I do have a few problems with the police enforcement system in general.

I don't think that any cop should have any power beyond their juristiction, UNLESS in a chase that began in their juristiction.
I think that the process to become a cop should include passing a "combat" (for lack of a better disciption) course AND personal test.  In other words if you can't physically take care of your self then you do not become a cop.  Too many times I see guys completely over taking a femal cop or un capable male cop.  If they call what they are doing in the academy LEGIT then the failure to produce capable cops should tell them differently.  You CAN NOT teach someone to be tough....they can't be a pussy their whole life, get a badge and take the academy and be capable.   
If what is reported in this case is correct then this cop is wrong.  Just my opinion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2006, 11:28:52 AM »
I don't think that any cop should have any power beyond their juristiction, UNLESS in a chase that began in their juristiction.
I think that the process to become a cop should include passing a "combat" (for lack of a better disciption) course AND personal test.

Extremely easy to sit back now and recite arbitrary opinions on what should be vs. the reality of a fluid, time-sensitive situation.

Training courses are given, which help but don't prepare for every possible eventuality. That is where context & intangibles will be considered that none of you are even thinking about. ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2006, 11:29:36 AM »

Unlike you, they won't jump to conclusions on incomplete info.

Then why have you called this a "no-brainer"? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »
Extremely easy to sit back now and recite arbitrary opinions on what should be vs. the reality of a fluid, time-sensitive situation.

"Combat" courses are given, but they're neither perfect nor do they cover every eventuality. There are grey areas that some of you don't comprehend.

You know it is possible to communicate with people without insulting them.  You should try it sometime.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2006, 11:31:29 AM »
Sarcasm hates blacks AND cops.  I bet he's totally confused by this situation.   ;D 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2006, 11:31:30 AM »
You know it is possible to communicate with people without insulting them.  You should try it sometime.
Interesting that you interpret disagreement with you as an insult. Maybe you have some issues.

Unlike you, they won't jump to conclusions on incomplete info.

Then why have you called this a "no-brainer"? 
They were completely out of control & could have killed someone and you're worried about waiting for some other cops to arrive. Try a balanced assessment; if i was in the neighborhood i'd want that off-duty guy on them ASAP.

body88

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2006, 11:55:46 AM »
After reading the official story it seems the officer was not at fault. I dont know if he had to shoot him tho : (

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2006, 12:08:17 PM »
Like a lot of the other posts here, you are clueless as to context; you have NO idea whether firing into bushes there was at all dangerous. That's in addition to the fact that since you weren't there you really can't appreciate the threat posed by two out of control maniacs-one trying to ram you with a car while screaming, the other the size of Frankenstein walking towards you.

You guys are hillarious.

"Context"  WTF are you talking about?  Any police officer that describes firing his weapon in to a nearby bush to warn someone is outta line.  What if someone was taking a leak in said bush?  Firing at street level in a residential neighborhood is ALWAYS dangerous.  Period.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »
Interesting that you interpret disagreement with you as an insult. Maybe you have some issues.

Here is what I was referring too:  "'Combat' courses are given, but they're neither perfect nor do they cover every eventuality. There are grey areas that some of you don't comprehend."  Did you delete this comment or am I just overlooking it?  I didn't consider this an insult to me at all.  I thought you were insulting others.  You do that a lot.  I think it detracts from whatever point you're trying to make.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2006, 12:33:48 PM »
They were completely out of control & could have killed someone and you're worried about waiting for some other cops to arrive. Try a balanced assessment; if i was in the neighborhood i'd want that off-duty guy on them ASAP.

No, what I asked was how you can call this a "no-brainer" while simultaneously saying "Unlike you, they won't jump to conclusions on incomplete info."  Those comments appear to be irreconcilable. 

How can you say the use of force was a "no brainer" without jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information?  We don't know the whole story.     

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2006, 01:30:15 PM »
No, what I asked was how you can call this a "no-brainer" while simultaneously saying "Unlike you, they won't jump to conclusions on incomplete info."  Those comments appear to be irreconcilable. 

How can you say the use of force was a "no brainer" without jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information?  We don't know the whole story.     

screw pumper . . . the only facts that are going to matter in this case are what the jury decides not this bs:

OF COURSE the off-duty copy had to pursue and eventually fire-what else was he to do faced with an immediate threat of a maniac weaving through traffic at 90 barely missing cars, then later very threatening at 6'4" and over 260 walking towards him. Same thing with his out of control girlfriend, screaming then aiming her car at the guy. Hello?  Roll Eyes Huh This one's a no-brainer.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2006, 01:54:54 PM »
All I know is.. no matter who was at fault here... this cop needs some serious disciplinary action IF he followed this guy through traffic to his home, engaged him repeatedly, fired warning shots, they eventually shot him and didn't bother to call anything in, until after the man was shot.

His 'hero' actions scalated the sitation.  If uniformed backup had arrived, the NFl player likely would have settled down very fast.

instead you have some guy in street clothes, waving a gun and firing warning shots at 3;30 AM.  Shit, I'd be more worried about getting robbed by this clown following me home then pulling a gun. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2006, 02:04:29 PM »
All I know is.. no matter who was at fault here... this cop needs some serious disciplinary action IF he followed this guy through traffic to his home, engaged him repeatedly, fired warning shots, they eventually shot him and didn't bother to call anything in, until after the man was shot.

His 'hero' actions scalated the sitation.  If uniformed backup had arrived, the NFl player likely would have settled down very fast.

instead you have some guy in street clothes, waving a gun and firing warning shots at 3;30 AM.  Shit, I'd be more worried about getting robbed by this clown following me home then pulling a gun. 

Exactly 240.  He was posing a serious danger.  Shooting into the fucking bushes?  WTF? I still don't get that one.  Like a bush is going to stop a round.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2006, 02:14:16 PM »
Exactly 240.  He was posing a serious danger.  Shooting into the fucking bushes?  WTF? I still don't get that one.  Like a bush is going to stop a round.

I'm guessing the NFL player said 'that gun isn't real', so the cop fired then said something witty.  :)

maybe after he shot him in the chest, he uttered 'real enough for you, MFer'?

This has stink all over it.  I watched one video and read the article - nothing about if he called it in or just tried to subdue a man twice his size in the middle of the night in plain clothes.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2006, 02:17:03 PM »
I'm guessing the NFL player said 'that gun isn't real', so the cop fired then said something witty.  :)

maybe after he shot him in the chest, he uttered 'real enough for you, MFer'?

This has stink all over it.  I watched one video and read the article - nothing about if he called it in or just tried to subdue a man twice his size in the middle of the night in plain clothes.

Yeah, something just doesn't add up.  If I had to weigh whether a drunk guy driving an SUV at 3am or a guy shooting off multiple rounds in a neighborhood, some at bushes and in the air.....who is the more dangerous threat?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2006, 02:19:55 PM »
Yeah, something just doesn't add up.  If I had to weigh whether a drunk guy driving an SUV at 3am or a guy shooting off multiple rounds in a neighborhood, some at bushes and in the air.....who is the more dangerous threat?

good call.  Plus, from the NFl player's viewpoint... you come home at 330 am, some guy follows you (pretty obvious when youre being followed in middle of night).

then the guy pulls a gun and attempts to subdue you.  You don't know if he's an offduty cop or some nut with a grudge or just someone trying to rob your ass. 

I would have told him to get off my lawn then went inside to get my shotgun to clear him out.  If the real police arrived, I'd talk to them.  But not some prick who followed me home.

Cop made a huge mistake.  The warning shots added to the case for his stupidity.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2006, 05:49:02 PM »
Just read that he's out for the season.  That really sucks. 

newmom

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2006, 05:56:43 PM »
wow interesting..i find funny that poway takes more than 20 mintues to get to coronado..unless u are going like a buck 20 at least..and i find it real hard to believe that they would fire a warning shot in coronado..seeing how there is a naval base there and one right before you get to the coronado bridge..

(knny should be posting real quick..lol) ;D