Author Topic: Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop  (Read 9930 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2006, 06:02:09 PM »
If you think firing into bushes is reckless, firing into the air is even worse.
Bullets that go up, ...eventually come down, and many people have been killed by descending bullets.
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2006, 06:05:36 PM »
wow interesting..i find funny that poway takes more than 20 mintues to get to coronado..unless u are going like a buck 20 at least..and i find it real hard to believe that they would fire a warning shot in coronado..seeing how there is a naval base there and one right before you get to the coronado bridge..

(knny should be posting real quick..lol) ;D

We stayed at the Del Coronado for 4 nights during part of a vacation.  One day we decided to go to the large pool because the sand on the beach (which is wide) was so hot, and when we got there the gates were locked.  We asked what was up and they said (not in these words) a ......child had a "baby ruth" accident and the pool was to be drained and thoroughly cleaned.  We went to teh smaller pool. :P
R

newmom

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2006, 06:07:07 PM »
is the day cafe next to the bank on the main street in coronado

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2006, 07:58:33 PM »
is the day cafe next to the bank on the main street in coronado

I think there are two Navy bases in Coronado?  Or at least there used to be.  I agree driving from Coronado to Poway in 20 minutes is darn near impossible.  It takes 10 or 15 minutes just to get out of Coronado and over the bridge (if you don't go the Imperial Beach way, which is longer).  I think the max speed limit on the entire "island" (which isn't really an island) is 35 mph.  Beautiful white sand beach though.  Cold!  I think Clinton used to stay at the Hotel Del Coronado whenever he came through.   

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2006, 09:29:07 PM »
i expected he'd at least miss the season . . . too bad for san diego . . . they really rely on their run-stop defense.  still have merriman though-monster.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2006, 12:18:05 AM »
He was unarmed and the cop may not have shown his badge.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2575196

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2006, 12:24:40 AM »
NFL doesn't have to pay him because he was injured off the field.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2006, 12:27:25 AM »
Cha-ching!  Sounds like Coronado will be paying someone's salary.

newmom

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2006, 05:27:04 AM »
I think there are two Navy bases in Coronado?  Or at least there used to be.  I agree driving from Coronado to Poway in 20 minutes is darn near impossible.  It takes 10 or 15 minutes just to get out of Coronado and over the bridge (if you don't go the Imperial Beach way, which is longer).  I think the max speed limit on the entire "island" (which isn't really an island) is 35 mph.  Beautiful white sand beach though.  Cold!  I think Clinton used to stay at the Hotel Del Coronado whenever he came through.   

I just remember north island naval base but that was back in the mid eighties..ill ask pops since he was stationed there

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2006, 09:21:51 AM »
As expected, you guys were almost entirely off in your pathetic speculations..

Sept. 7

An off-duty police officer inadvertently was "trapped" in a suburban cul-de-sac without backup before he shot San Diego Chargers  linebacker Steve Foley , a prosecutor said Thursday.

Aaron Mansker, an officer with the Coronado Police Department, had decided to drop his pursuit because no other officers responded to his calls for help, but found himself blocked Sunday morning in the dead-end street where Foley lives, said San Diego  County Deputy District Attorney Jim Koerber.

Mansker was on his way home from a shift when he spotted a suspected drunken driver on the freeway weaving through traffic at speeds up to 90 mph.

Koerber's account came during an arraignment hearing for Lisa Maree Gaut, 25, who was a passenger in Foley's restored 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

Gaut pleaded not guilty to charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and assaulting a police officer. She faces up to five years in prison if convicted of all charges. Superior Court Judge David Szumowski ordered her held in custody in lieu of $35,000 bail.

The shooting occurred after Foley got out of the car near his home in Poway and began walking toward Mansker, who said he was armed and fired a warning shot, according to a sheriff's department report.

"At this time, the officer was trapped," Koerber told the judge.

Gaut got behind the wheel of Foley's Oldsmobile, revved the engine and drove toward Mansker, Koerber said. Mansker fired two shots at the car and fired at Foley when the football player reached into his pants with his right hand.

Gaut's attorney, Raymond Vecchio, said that the pair hadn't stopped their car earlier when Mansker ordered them to pull over at a stoplight because they were concerned that the off-duty officer was a carjacker or an "overeager fan."

Vecchio called the assault charges against Gaut "bogus."

There was no update Thursday on Foley's condition. Earlier in the week, his agent, David Levine, said Foley was hospitalized in stable condition after undergoing surgery.

The Chargers  put Foley on the non-football injured reserve list just a day after the shooting, meaning he will miss the season and forfeit his pay, estimated at $1.65 million. Foley - an eight-season NFL veteran - turns 31 on Monday, and no one has said whether he will be able to play again.

San Diego County sheriff's Capt. Glenn Revell said Thursday that Foley was shot in the hand, upper thigh, and lower inner thigh.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2006, 11:03:58 AM »
Okay.  So we've heard the cop's version.  What's Folely's and his companion's version?  Sounds like someone is jumping "to conclusions on incomplete info."   :)   

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2006, 11:06:45 AM »
We ALREADY KNOW his version AKA the getbig jump to conclusions interpretation.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
We ALREADY KNOW his version AKA the getbig jump to conclusions interpretation.  ::)

???  We don't know anything.  Unless I missed it, no statement has been issued by either Foley or his companion.  You should wait till the evidence comes in before you "jump to conclusions on incomplete info."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2006, 11:54:55 AM »
"Chargers linebacker Steve Foley had a blood-alcohol level was 0.233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of 0.08 percent, when he was shot Sept. 3 outside his home."

:o

"Prosecutors on Thursday noted the level in an affidavit for a search warrant as they requested a blood sample from Foley on suspicion that he was using performance-enhancing drugs when he was shot and seriously wounded by an off-duty police officer."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2587718

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2006, 10:14:25 PM »
Updated: Sep. 15, 2006, 10:27 PM ET
Report: Foley said officer was trying to end his career

SAN DIEGO -- "You're trying to end my career, man," Chargers linebacker Steve Foley said after he was shot at least three times by an off-duty police officer, according to a sheriff's department report obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

The officer followed Foley's restored 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme about 30 miles on the freeway on suspicion that the driver was drunk, the report said.

The shooting occurred when Foley got out of his car outside his home in suburban Poway, the report said. The officer fired after the 6-foot-4, 265-pound linebacker reached into his pants with his right hand.

Foley, who is from Little Rock, said, "You shot me in the knee," but continued approaching the off-duty Coronado police officer, Aaron Mansker. The officer shot at least three more rounds at Foley before the player "went down" and fell unconscious, the report said.

San Diego Sheriff's Deputy Robert Tockstein, the first deputy to arrive after the shooting, wrote the report on the day of the shooting.

Foley, who had been partying in downtown San Diego, had a blood alcohol level of 0.233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of 0.08 percent.

The police officer has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Foley will miss the season. His agent, David Levine, said earlier this week that Foley was hospitalized in fair condition with two gunshot wounds in his lower left leg and one on his thigh. Sheriff's officials have said Foley was shot in the hand.

Levine did not immediately return a phone message Friday.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2589640

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2006, 12:22:28 PM »
More news.  The judge has issued a gag order.  Plus this from a couple weeks ago:

Woman pleads not guilty to charges
By Dana Littlefield
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
September 8, 2006

PEGGY PEATTIE / Union-Tribune
Lisa Maree Gaut was arraigned Thursday in the case involving Chargers linebacker Steve Foley. The charges against her include assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer. 
Conflicting versions of the controversial shooting of San Diego Chargers linebacker Steve Foley unfolded yesterday during and after a court hearing in which Foley's female companion pleaded not guilty to criminal charges.

The prosecutor painted a picture of drunken, criminal behavior in which Foley was wounded by an off-duty police officer who felt he was “trapped” in a cul de sac near Foley's home and in danger of being rammed by the woman at the wheel of Foley's vehicle.

Meanwhile, the woman's lawyer said she acted “heroically” and that neither she nor Foley realized that the man trying to stop them on suspicion of drunken driving was an officer.

The lawyer said Foley and the woman thought they might have been the targets of a carjacker or “an over-exuberant fan” early Sunday morning before the officer shot Foley in the confrontation.

Lisa Maree Gaut, 25, of San Diego pleaded not guilty yesterday in San Diego Superior court to four felony and misdemeanor charges, including assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer and driving under the influence. If convicted, she could be sent to prison for up to five years.

Foley, who was unarmed that morning, has undergone two surgeries at Sharp Memorial Hospital. He suffered wounds to his hand, upper thigh and lower inner thigh, a source said.

Foley was moved out of surgical intensive care yesterday. He was visited by family and teammates, who said he was in good spirits.
A spokesman for the District Attorney's Office said yesterday there “is no word yet” on whether Foley will be charged with any crimes. Police said Wednesday that Foley has refused to speak to detectives investigating the shooting.

Judge David M. Szumowski set Gaut's bail at $35,000 and scheduled a bail review hearing Tuesday. The judge also scheduled a Sept. 20 hearing at which prosecutors are expected to present evidence in the case.

Meanwhile, Gaut remains in custody at Las Colinas Detention Facility in Santee.

Outside the courtroom, Gaut's lawyer, Raymond Vecchio, rebutted prosecutors' claims that Gaut tried to ram the officer when she got behind the wheel of Foley's Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme during the confrontation. Instead, Vecchio said, Gaut was coming to Foley's aid when she saw the officer shoot Foley in the cul de sac after the officer had followed and attempted to stop them for erratic driving.

Deputy District Attorney James Koerber told the judge that the off-duty Coronado police officer – identified as Aaron Mansker, 23 – was driving home to Escondido from work about 3 a.m. Sunday when he saw the Oldsmobile “weaving all over the road” on northbound state Route 163.

Koerber said Foley, 30, was in the driver's seat of the Oldsmobile and Gaut in the passenger's seat. They had been drinking at a bar in downtown San Diego for several hours before getting into the car, the prosecutor said.

Koerber said the officer, who was not in uniform and was driving his own car, followed Foley and called for assistance by radio. The prosecutor said Foley drove up to 90 mph before getting off the freeway in the Poway area.

When they reached a stop sign, the officer pulled his car up to the driver's side of the Oldsmobile and identified himself, but Foley uttered an expletive and drove off, the prosecutor said.

Foley and the officer stopped two more times before the pursuit ended near Foley's home on Travertine Court, the prosecutor said. He said the officer repeatedly identified himself to Foley and Gaut, both of whom ignored his commands.

After the final stop, Mansker decided to drive away, the prosecutor said. But the officer then realized he had driven into a cul de sac and was trapped.

Foley started walking past his house and toward the officer, Koerber said. When Mansker fired a warning shot into the bushes, Gaut – now behind the wheel of the Oldsmobile – drove around Foley and “tried to ram the officer,” the prosecutor said.

Koerber told the judge that Gaut was arrested in July 2004 in Solano County near San Francisco on suspicion of driving a stolen vehicle, but failed to make any court appearances. According to court records, Solano County prosecutors have also accused her of receiving stolen property and possession of a forged check.

Gaut's lawyer said the facts of the case would eventually show that his client “acted heroically and not criminally.” He said after the hearing that Gaut tried to come to Foley's aid and “lead him to safety,” but never put the officer in any jeopardy.

Vecchio said the officer fired at Gaut twice, but she was not injured. He said the key to the whole case is whether Gaut or Foley understood that Mansker was a police officer.

“It could have been a carjacker; it could have been an over-exuberant fan,” Vecchio said. “He did not know. She did not know.”

Vecchio said he had not received reports yesterday of Gaut's blood-alcohol content the night of the shooting. He described Gaut and Foley as “friends” and said she was not used to driving Foley's restored 1971 Oldsmobile, which may explain the revving sounds of an engine that neighbors reportedly heard.

Her father Terry Gaut, who lives in New Mexico, said he has stayed glued to television news reports and Internet blogs for updates on his daughter's case. “She's a good kid really. She's just had some tough times,” he said yesterday, adding that his daughter is a single mother who works construction jobs.

“I can only imagine what she felt after getting shot at,” he said. “When I heard that, it really scared the hell out of me.”

Staff writers Kristina Davis and Jim Trotter contributed to this report.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060908-9999-7m8gaut.html

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2006, 11:30:41 PM »
does anyone know how old the cop is? sounds like might be on the younger side . . . immature and full of beans.

23 y o. stands to reason.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »
Chargers LB Foley charged with DUI 

NFL.com wire reports 

SAN DIEGO (Oct. 11, 2006) -- Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was charged with drunken driving stemming from a confrontation last month with an off-duty Coronado police officer that resulted in Foley being shot three times.

His arraignment on two counts of misdemeanor DUI was scheduled for Oct. 18, but he is not required to attend. His attorney can enter a plea for him.

Foley's attorney did not return a call seeking comment.

The player's agent, David Levine, said Foley is home recovering from several surgeries to his leg.

"He currently is unable to walk or stand without assistance," Levine said. "Right now he's going through a healing process, a very painful one, and it's unknown at this point in time how he's going to recover."

Foley was shot early on Sept. 3 near his Poway home by an off-duty Coronado police officer who had followed him for several miles after suspecting him of driving drunk.

Police said Foley, who had been partying in downtown San Diego, had a blood-alcohol level of .233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of .08.

The charges carry enhancements that include being charged with DUI within 10 years of a prior conviction and having a blood-alcohol level exceeding .15.

Foley has been arrested at least five times since 1999, including cases that police say involved alcohol and confrontations with officers.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SD/9721825