Author Topic: Softball  (Read 327299 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Softball
« Reply #300 on: August 01, 2012, 04:21:16 AM »
Yet another loss. Hitting well, so that massages the ego a bit. Lob ball tourney this weekend. Should be interesting as I haven't seen a lobbed ball in a year.  Nothing like being at the plate with the count already 1-1 and taking that first huge swing-and-a miss to get you gripping your bat too tightly for maybe your last pitch.   ;D   

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #301 on: August 01, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »
You're playing modified/fast pitch, Chimpsy?
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #302 on: August 01, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »
You're playing modified/fast pitch, Chimpsy?
Regular league is slo-pitch. This upcoming tourney is lob ball. Might make a solid mediocre fast pitch player. A man's gotsta to know his limitations.    ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #303 on: August 01, 2012, 10:09:29 AM »
Regular league is slo-pitch. This upcoming tourney is lob ball. Might make a solid mediocre fast pitch player. A man's gotsta to know his limitations.    ;D

Gotcha.  I'll admit I don't know the difference between slo-pitch and lob ball.  I thought they were the same thing.   What is lob ball?
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #304 on: August 01, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »
Gotcha.  I'll admit I don't know the difference between slo-pitch and lob ball.  I thought they were the same thing.   What is lob ball?
Lob ball is similar to slo-pitch, but instead of the ball crossing the plate for a strike it must hit a 2' x 3' piece of wood/material. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially if the ball is raining down on you from 20-30 feet. Like a regular game, but with bigger spikes in ugliness.  ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #305 on: August 01, 2012, 01:13:04 PM »
Lob ball is similar to slo-pitch, but instead of the ball crossing the plate for a strike it must hit a 2' x 3' piece of wood/material. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially if the ball is raining down on you from 20-30 feet. Like a regular game, but with bigger spikes in ugliness.  ;D

Ok.   Lob ball is what we'd call Unlimited Arc.   I've also been in tourneys where they use a mat which is the same function as the wood.   We voted the mat into one of our leagues in the offseason, and it was great.  So they overturned it mid year.

The mat really makes bad strike calls impossible, and makes hit so much easier to hit, IMO.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #306 on: August 02, 2012, 06:08:12 AM »
2-3..finally got a nice solid shot up the middle...lol,then a 10 hopper that got through!

...also fouled out which will cost me a case of beer next week.we start with a 1-1 count and the ump called a strike on a pitch that was low and outside..next pitch was also low but I was scared not to swing >:(

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #307 on: August 02, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
2-3..finally got a nice solid shot up the middle...lol,then a 10 hopper that got through!

...also fouled out which will cost me a case of beer next week.we start with a 1-1 count and the ump called a strike on a pitch that was low and outside..next pitch was also low but I was scared not to swing >:(
Ha! Been there. Oh brother, have I been there.   ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #308 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
If I have two strikes, I'll pretty much swing at anything within two feet of the plate.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #309 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »
If I have two strikes, I'll pretty much swing at anything within two feet of the plate.
Ditto. And I've never understood the guys who give the pitcher a bye on the first pitch -ie. they won't swing. See that at tourneys a lot. I'm a tad impatient at the plate, and more often than not, I find the first pitch is usually somewhere around the pipe. If it looks half-decent I'm taking a nice cut.  

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »
Ditto. And I've never understood the guys who give the pitcher a bye on the first pitch -ie. they won't swing. See that at tourneys a lot. I'm a tad impatient at the plate, and more often than not, I find the first pitch is usually somewhere around the pipe. If it looks half-decent I'm taking a nice cut.  

Agreed - these are 15mph pitches - just hit them if they're where you want them, regardless of count.

Unless it's a league where we start with a 1-1 count, it's really rare for me to have two strikes.  It means I've done something wrong.  Although there are times I'll force it opposite field foul just to keep the OF honest.  I get the over shift sometimes.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #311 on: August 03, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »

I swing at the first pitch if it's close.

....wasn't close >:(

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »
One season down, one championship.

One more to go.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #313 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:43 AM »
Lob ball tourney done. We got fried. Just too many good players and teams for us dilettantes to expect to hang with them. First game was a real wakeup. I didn't even get on base, and we didn't score a run. By the second game we got the bats going but these guys just made it look easy. Maybe I need to grow a gut and take up smoking.  ;D

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #314 on: August 07, 2012, 05:41:57 AM »
9:00 game tonight...hate waiting around that late to play :(

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #315 on: August 07, 2012, 07:49:17 AM »
Lob ball tourney done. We got fried. Just too many good players and teams for us dilettantes to expect to hang with them. First game was a real wakeup. I didn't even get on base, and we didn't score a run. By the second game we got the bats going but these guys just made it look easy. Maybe I need to grow a gut and take up smoking.  ;D

Lob ball = slow pitch?  If so, you didn't reach base and your team didn't score a run?  It's time for all of you to hang up the cleats.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #316 on: August 07, 2012, 07:58:09 AM »
Lob ball = slow pitch?

Explained a few posts above.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #317 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:32 AM »
Lob ball = slow pitch?  If so, you didn't reach base and your team didn't score a run?  It's time for all of you to hang up the cleats.
Trust me, it was a post-game topic.   :'(

Out-of-town, slo-pitch tourney this weekend. Will I reach base? Will we score a run? Tune in Monday.    ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2012, 11:50:39 AM »
Explained a few posts above.

sorry, didn't read the whole thread.  But it sounds like poor doc is done.   :'(

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »
sorry, didn't read the whole thread.  But it sounds like poor doc is done.   :'(

Maybe doc started drinking waaaay before game time ???

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »

Maybe doc started drinking waaaay before game time ???

Like 3 days maybe.  I've been blitzed and could still generate a base hit in slow pitch.  Perhaps in Canada they use a ping-pong filled with sand?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
Like 3 days maybe.  I've been blitzed and could still generate a base hit in slow pitch.  Perhaps in Canada they use a ping-pong filled with sand?

This is Canada and softball we're talking about.

...ad doc is close to wes's age and is playing left field ::) :-\

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »
This is Canada and softball we're talking about.

...ad doc is close to wes's age and is playing left field ::) :-\
Just got torched.   

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2012, 05:36:21 AM »
I've been standing to deep in the batters box.
we're like the Yankees.our second baseman just took a cortisone shot in his wrist,left center pulled his hammy,and our catcher is out with a bad back.

....figured it out after going 1-4 ::)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #324 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:19 AM »
I've been standing to deep in the batters box.

_nigga, please.
Y