Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421799 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
Trained legs today. I got really dizzy to the point someone asked me if I was alright. I do train to absolute exhaustion/failure. The gym was packed and I did leg presses, squats and the kick back leg machine rushing through the workout when the dizziness began. I took a short break and finished the work out that included the standard stuff like leg extensions, leg curls, standing calf, seated calf and abs.

Thinking at my age even though I'm in good shape maybe it's time to stop training HIT style. Might be too hard on the heart to repeatedly go to failure every damn set. It also could be I'm out in the sun too much lately. Spent 8 days in over 100 degree weather in California then came home to NJ heat hanging poolside and running in the sun for another week.

Damn if I'm having heart issues I'm going to be pissed. I worked out my whole life and I'm only 59. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »
Most likely you are just over-doing it.

How's your blood pressure?

I sometimes get a bit dizzy after doing a set of deadlifts.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »
Most likely you are just over-doing it.

How's your blood pressure?

I sometimes get a bit dizzy after doing a set of deadlifts.

My blood pressure is 110/70.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 10:08:44 PM »
Whenever someone posts something upsetting, it makes me dizzy. I don't think it's my heart though.  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2018, 03:31:04 AM »
You might be hyperventilating when you do your set.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2018, 06:56:47 AM »
Going for a run. If I don't post again it means I dropped dead.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:50 AM »
Going for a run. If I don't post again it means I dropped dead.

Make sure you are wearing your Life Alert.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2018, 10:28:14 AM »
Still alive. Ran 3 miles in near 90 degree humid heat. No problems.  :D

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
Still alive. Ran 3 miles in near 90 degree humid heat. No problems.  :D

Good job!  I couldn't run three miles unless it was down a mine shaft and I didn't bounce off the sides.   ;D

I trained H.I.T. today, albeit in the more traditional manner Mentzer advocated in the  late 70s.  Six sets each of shoulders, back and chest with pre-exhaustion used twice in each movement.  Heavy (for me, LOL!) weight but primarily on machines, sorry...I can no longer handle much free weight on certain exercises safely.   ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »
Scott, my normal HIT routine is 6 to 8 sets a body part. I guess more of a Mentzer type HIT too. For an example my usual lat routine now is: Pulldowns 2 x 10, Low seated cable rows 2 x 12, Single dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 and I finish off with Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 10.  So 8 sets for lats.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »
Hit the gym with my son. We trained delts and arms. Sometimes together and sometimes apart. He came back from Afghanistan about a month ago. He is in the Army with the Airborne. I haven't seen him in a year. He came back in apparent great spirits so it was a relief. Two guys from his unit came home in a box to their family. We have a giant sign in the front yard welcoming him home. He surprised us by coming home a day earlier than he told us. His sister and her husband picked him up. We were in the pool floating having cocktails. My wife wept and screamed with joy. The family dog went crazy seeing his pal again.

My son lifts but isn't hard core about it. He does his running and body weight stuff. Tomorrow is a big back yard party for him. Family and friends are coming from near and far. The Italian wife is cooking like a person possessed.

Luke 15:24, "For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to celebrate"

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2018, 08:37:35 AM »
Fantastic.

A great day.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »
Spoke to a doctor who lifts at my gym about my dizzy spells lifting. The guy lifts sick weights.  Strong as a house. He asked me what I was doing prior. Told him squats and leg presses. He laughed and said he gets dizzy and faint after deadlifts and squats sometimes. He said don't worry about it. Famous last words.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2018, 02:35:17 PM »
Spoke to a doctor who lifts at my gym about my dizzy spells lifting. The guy lifts sick weights.  Strong as a house. He asked me what I was doing prior. Told him squats and leg presses. He laughed and said he gets dizzy and faint after deadlifts and squats sometimes. He said don't worry about it. Famous last words.  ;D

He's right. Don't worry about it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
Hit the gym with my son. We trained delts and arms. Sometimes together and sometimes apart. He came back from Afghanistan about a month ago. He is in the Army with the Airborne. I haven't seen him in a year. He came back in apparent great spirits so it was a relief. Two guys from his unit came home in a box to their family. We have a giant sign in the front yard welcoming him home. He surprised us by coming home a day earlier than he told us. His sister and her husband picked him up. We were in the pool floating having cocktails. My wife wept and screamed with joy. The family dog went crazy seeing his pal again.

My son lifts but isn't hard core about it. He does his running and body weight stuff. Tomorrow is a big back yard party for him. Family and friends are coming from near and far. The Italian wife is cooking like a person possessed.

Luke 15:24, "For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to celebrate"
Nice.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2018, 07:07:56 PM »
Last week I got in 6 days of running in addition to lifting. Losing weight rapidly. Haven't run 5 miles in awhile and tomorrow I will do it.

Wish I could figure out an optimal way to lift while pursuing running. In the past I would just lift heavy and run twice a week. Now I want to push the running aspect again. Twice a week isn't cutting it.

Using a Yates inspired 4 way split and one work set to failure. Today I did legs then went for a two mile run. So hard to run after legs. Might do a whole body routine twice a week so I won't have double sessions. Then I could run 5 days a week. I have always struggled to have both a running program and a lifting program. Some say if I push the running too much I should lift with moderate volume and moderate weights.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
You could do whole body 2x a week like you said, but then you're training seven days with all the running.

Or you could just concentrate on the heavy lifts 2 x a week - squats / dl / presses, then do auxiliary/additional conditioning like chins/planks/plyo, etc AFTER you run on the other days.
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
You could do whole body 2x a week like you said, but then you're training seven days with all the running.

Or you could just concentrate on the heavy lifts 2 x a week - squats / dl / presses, then do auxiliary/additional conditioning like chins/planks/plyo, etc AFTER you run on the other days.

I appreciate your thoughts. Cardio I believe is different from lifting. The more I do cardio the better I get. While with heavy lifting I need rest days. I never lift more than 4 days a week. The thoughts about auxiliary conditioning after runs is a good one.

Never got 5 miles in today. Maybe the heat got to me. Maybe I'm just not in decent cardio shape yet. I got 4 miles in then did some heavy bag work.  I then went to the beach and I planned to body surf in the waves. The beach is full of swimming giant Sting Rays. I saw at least 10 of them go by here in New Jersey. They freak me out so I just hopped waves like a kid. Didn't want to ride a wave with Sting Rays. Still trying to have another 6 days in a row of cardio. Tomorrow is back and hopefully a slow two mile run after. Using a Yates type workout so the lifting session should be a short one. Something like this is planned for my back day.

Pull downs with a pronate Mag bar 1 x failure
Seated V handle rows 1 x failure
One arm dumbbell rows 1 x failure
Hammer strength pulldown 1 x failure
deadlifts 1 x 6 reps or failure
weighted hyper extensions 1 x failure
ab work

Warm up sets as needed.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:28 AM »
Made it to the gym tonight. Yahoo! -First time in months. Trained back. Taking it a day at a time and hoping for success.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »
Made it to the gym tonight. Yahoo! -First time in months. Trained back. Taking it a day at a time and hoping for success.

Good for you!

Today I did H.I.T. for arms only.  Warmed up very light and went as heavy as I could (still not heavy for the rest of you!).  One set of dumbbell curls to failure with rest pause for as many additional reps as I could stand before wanting to barf.  Rested until I felt recovered (probably 3 or 4 minutes) then did one set of barbell curls with easy curl bar to failure  with a couple of rest pause reps at the end.

Tricep pushdowns to failure superseted with dips to failure for two supersets.  No rest pause as I was about to puke.

That's it.   Counting two warmup sets I did a total of 8 sets, 6 of which were working sets.  No forearms as my wrists are really hurting from the last session a few days ago. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »
Beginning to wonder if I let Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer influence me too much in my younger years. I have seen incredible physiques from training for a lack of a better term muscular endurance in the gym. Seen a guy with fantastic legs doing squats with 135lbs for maybe 5 sets of 15 perfect squats with minimal rest telling me it's not the weight but how hard you are working. Make a light weight heavy by doing volume with minimal rest between sets. Seen the owner of my gym with a giant bicep using weights I would be embarrassed to use. Sometimes I think power bodybuilding is not the magic bullet.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
Check out soflete.com

They have various training programs depending on you goals - strength / conditioning, even shooting.

I think they have a 10 day free trial - download Atlas - it's geared around making your stonger, and improving run times.

I've done a few of their cycles......amazing stuff.
Y

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
Trained delts and tris today. Then went for a 3 mile run. Losing weight but feeling a little weak. This 6 day a week running program I'm on is kicking my ass. Tomorrow is a short 2 mile run prior to work. Going to see if I can beat my time from last week.

Haven't decided what I will do for next week. Continue the 4 way Yates inspired split with one set to failure or use a whole body routine twice a week. Lifting weights for over 40 years and I'm still evolving. I remember when Bill Pearl turned 55 he said he no longer cared what weight was on the bar. I wish I could say the same but I still have an ego to feed.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
Good for you!

Today I did H.I.T. for arms only.  Warmed up very light and went as heavy as I could (still not heavy for the rest of you!).  One set of dumbbell curls to failure with rest pause for as many additional reps as I could stand before wanting to barf.  Rested until I felt recovered (probably 3 or 4 minutes) then did one set of barbell curls with easy curl bar to failure  with a couple of rest pause reps at the end.

Tricep pushdowns to failure superseted with dips to failure for two supersets.  No rest pause as I was about to puke.

That's it.   Counting two warmup sets I did a total of 8 sets, 6 of which were working sets.  No forearms as my wrists are really hurting from the last session a few days ago. 

Thanks. After gardening for several hours yesterday and because I overdid my back workout on Wednesday making myself pretty sore, I didn't get to the gym last night. I'll make up for that tonight. It may take me longer to get back into my routine than I thought. However, I'm not going to cave.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2018, 02:55:03 PM »
Trained delts and tris today. Then went for a 3 mile run. Losing weight but feeling a little weak. This 6 day a week running program I'm on is kicking my ass. Tomorrow is a short 2 mile run prior to work. Going to see if I can beat my time from last week.

Haven't decided what I will do for next week. Continue the 4 way Yates inspired split with one set to failure or use a whole body routine twice a week. Lifting weights for over 40 years and I'm still evolving. I remember when Bill Pearl turned 55 he said he no longer cared what weight was on the bar. I wish I could say the same but I still have an ego to feed.

Our ego is both our friend and our enemy.