Author Topic: Going back to basics  (Read 1541 times)

Thealmightyronald

Going back to basics
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:19:18 PM »
Lately i've been doing alot of exercises with machines and lost focus on the exercises that matter. Here's the routine i'm gonna be using for the next little while... I think I might start a log as well.

Shoulders/Calves-
Military Press
Side DB Raises
Front DB Raises
Rear DB Raises
Standing Calf Raises

Back/Lats-
Pull-downs/Pull-ups
Bent-over Rows
T-Bar Rows
Deadlifts

Chest-
Incline Benchpress
Flat DB Press
Incline DB Flyes
Dips

Off-

Bi‘s/Tri‘s-
Pushdowns
Overhead DB Extensions
Skullcrushers
Barbell Curls
Seated DB Curls
Preacher Curls

Quads/Hams-
Leg Extension
Squats
Seated  Leg Curls
Lying Leg Curls
SLDL

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Going back to basics
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
Eh to be honest bro, if u wer sticking to the basics ud have a routine doing
squats
bench (flat/incline etc)
BB row
deads
shoulder press

And thats it, u want more then add dips and chins.

Feeling really adventurous add cleans or clean and press.

But thats a basic routine.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »
Lately i've been doing alot of exercises with machines and lost focus on the exercises that matter. Here's the routine i'm gonna be using for the next little while... I think I might start a log as well.

Shoulders/Calves-
Military Press
Side DB Raises
Front DB Raises
Rear DB Raises

Clean and jerk/press
Standing Calf Raises

Back/Lats-
Pull-downs/Pull-ups
Bent-over Rows
T-Bar Rows
Deadlifts

Chest-
Incline Benchpress
Flat DB Press
Incline DB Flyes
Dips

Off-

Bi‘s/Tri‘s-
Pushdowns
Dips or CG bench
Overhead DB Extensions
Skullcrushers
Barbell Curls
Seated DB Curls
Preacher Curls

Quads/Hams-
Leg Extension
Squats
Seated  Leg Curls
Lying Leg Curls

SLDL
This is what people will think of if you say basic.
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »
And might I add, all basic exercises are done with a BB (prefer Olympic bar). Usually the 5X5 system is applied to the basic lifts. You will be doing the Big Boy exercises.

Machine equipment can be used, from time to time, as supplement exercises but never in a basic lift type of training. Even DB's are not usually included in a true basic program. Invest at least 6 to 8 weeks and watch you power and size increase. Good Luck.
F

Thealmightyronald

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »
Eh to be honest bro, if u wer sticking to the basics ud have a routine doing
squats
bench (flat/incline etc)
BB row
deads
shoulder press

And thats it, u want more then add dips and chins.

Feeling really adventurous add cleans or clean and press.

But thats a basic routine.

davie

How can anyone grow from that though? It seems like you wouldn't be able to stimulate enough with just a few exercises.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »
How can anyone grow from that though? It seems like you wouldn't be able to stimulate enough with just a few exercises.
Trust me.  I have added 5 lbs in the last two weeks from short intense workouts.  I could post the workout I am doing now and the athletes who are using it are all growing like weeds.  When you do the hard lifts and full body lifts, you will grow fast and get strong.  Look at most pro and Olympic athletes.  That's all they do with a few prehab and supplement lifts in there.  Trust me and the others who tell you this.  Guys like JPM and Hedge know their shit. 
Squishy face retard

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
so he didnt mean basic.

he meants going from mostly machines to mostly free weights.

whats wrong with that

is this the new olympic lift forum now

Z

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »
so he didnt mean basic.

he meants going from mostly machines to mostly free weights.

whats wrong with that

is this the new olympic lift forum now

The title of the thread does not match the post, he should change the title to something more appropriate.

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
so what he explains what he means in the thread

Z

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:46:38 PM »
so what he explains what he means in the thread

What are you, his mother?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »
It's not an Olympic forum now but a basic routine does not include any minutia, except prehab exercises.  A basic routine includes the major basic exercises.  In terms of what he was talking about, yes he meant going to free weights but I tried to save him some grief.  Thanks for your insightful posts though Bluto.
Squishy face retard

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:20:11 AM »
Caps, post uup what u meant by what ur doing, and let him see?!

Glad ur trainings going well mate.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:24:05 AM »
This is a sample of what collegiate athletes are doing.  There are some prehab things for rotator cuffs, neck, ankle, etc.

Mon
Clean and jerk
Front squat
Incline press
Standing DB press
DB row

Wed
Back squat
Box Cleans
CG shrug pull
RDL
Hypers

Fri
Bench Press
Pullups
Barbell Snatch
Step ups
glute ham raise
DB clean and press

Rep ranges vary.  They/I am working 4 weeks on each schedule and then it changes.  Rep ranges change each week.  As the weight increases, the reps drop.   Reps on legs can go from 20-8 reps.  Upper body exercises range from 3-15 reps, especially on back and chest.  It seems like a lot but this is one of the lengthier splits and these guys doing even this much are gaining from it.
Squishy face retard

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 08:58:41 PM »
Trust me.  I have added 5 lbs in the last two weeks from short intense workouts.  I could post the workout I am doing now and the athletes who are using it are all growing like weeds.  When you do the hard lifts and full body lifts, you will grow fast and get strong.  Look at most pro and Olympic athletes.  That's all they do with a few prehab and supplement lifts in there.  Trust me and the others who tell you this.  Guys like JPM and Hedge know their shit. 

Seconded.  The heavy compound movements (PC, DL, squat, BP, OHP, etc), when done balls to the walls until you can barely walk out of the gym, will put tons of muscle on you if you're eating enough, getting plenty of rest, and keeping the workout intensity high.  There's nothing wrong with isolation exercises, as long as they don't become anything close to the core of your workout.

Thealmightyronald

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Seconded.  The heavy compound movements (PC, DL, squat, BP, OHP, etc), when done balls to the walls until you can barely walk out of the gym, will put tons of muscle on you if you're eating enough, getting plenty of rest, and keeping the workout intensity high.  There's nothing wrong with isolation exercises, as long as they don't become anything close to the core of your workout.

I think it's just a head think with me... I like to do 3+ exercises per bodypart because I feel i'll get more growth... I have a hard time believing that I could stimulate each muscle enough with the routine above.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
I think it's just a head think with me... I like to do 3+ exercises per bodypart because I feel i'll get more growth... I have a hard time believing that I could stimulate each muscle enough with the routine above.

The best thing to do is listen to your own body.  From your pics it's obvious you know what you're doing.  But like I said, no need to get rid of isolation exercises completely, just build your routine mainly around the big compound lifts.  You can't go wrong with those.  It of course hardly needs to be pointed out that one thing that will affect how much volume you do is whether or to what extent you're being "assisted".

Thealmightyronald

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
The best thing to do is listen to your own body.  From your pics it's obvious you know what you're doing.  But like I said, no need to get rid of isolation exercises completely, just build your routine mainly around the big compound lifts.  You can't go wrong with those.  It of course hardly needs to be pointed out that one thing that will affect how much volume you do is whether or to what extent you're being "assisted".

Yeah, I try to listen to my body. I just wanted to take out some machines, not go into the whole sports type training. I'd never do the routine cap posted for the simple fact i'm a bodybuilder. I think i'll stick to the routine I posted initially and make a few changes. Thanks guys.