Author Topic: Questions for Atheists  (Read 26793 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Questions for Atheists
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2006, 06:39:05 AM »
PS  I don't know how to quote someones post that is not on the last page of teh thread...as the latest posts are under the "post reply" text box and you can just grab them from there....that's why I had to make several posts on BB's quote.....is there a way to do it?   :-[
R

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2006, 06:47:17 AM »
I wouldnt ridicule a born again...we would simply have nothing more in common. I watched a friend convert and destroy his life...burnt (literally) all his music, tore down posters moved in with other christians. 2 years later he 'unconverted'. weird

i have acquantices that are christians...its hard not to, but i dont know if its a vibe i give off but theyve never once discussed the subject with me.  :D

i went to an indian retaurant for dinner tonight. Its free, well you pay what you want/can. everyone that works there is volunteering and the money goes back to india to finance free health care hospitals. a party of 4 in front of us gave him $80 bux, the next two guys had no money, I gave the guy a 20...he said 'god bless' I thanked him for the meal and left. he meant that shit i could tell...and i felt that, but a thankyou would have been fine. ;)

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2006, 06:48:36 AM »
PS  I don't know how to quote someones post that is not on the last page of teh thread...as the latest posts are under the "post reply" text box and you can just grab them from there....that's why I had to make several posts on BB's quote.....is there a way to do it?   :-[

and you call yourself a moderator :P

(look in the upper right part of anybodys post and it should say "Quote" ... click on it and it will insert the quote in your reply :))

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2006, 06:49:01 AM »
This is wrong because we would have a blast hanging out! ;D  And Jimmy could come too :D

have you been talking to my boy!!  ;D  ;)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2006, 06:53:18 AM »
and you call yourself a moderator :P

:-[

(look in the upper right part of anybodys post and it should say "Quote" ... click on it and it will insert the quote in your reply :))

I know that part but when I want to quote the quote several times but it's not on the same page as the "reply post" box....how do I quote it again w/o making a brand new post? ???

:)

have you been talking to my boy!!  ;D  ;)

Yes :D  Finally got set up on Messenger so we can chat instead of just email :)
R

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2006, 06:58:01 AM »
I know that part but when I want to quote the quote several times but it's not on the same page as the "reply post" box....how do I quote it again w/o making a brand new post? ???

in that case  the easiest thing to do is manually insert {quote} {/quote} (but with the [] instead of {}) around each portion of text you want to quote .... just remember that the first {quote} and the last {/quote} are already included

:D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2006, 08:59:03 AM »
I'm just curious...before you press 'post' do wonder what jesus thinks of your replies?

Sometimes. 

Because I'm not the "knock on your door and share my faith" type Christian, I have to be what's called a "lifestyle evangelist."  I don't really talk about religion much on a daily basis.  Most of the people I work with aren't very "religious."  I try and let my lifestyle let people know that I'm a Christian.  Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not. 

You should try reading the book of Proverbs.  It has a ton of stuff that can help you.  I read portions of it every week.  Much of it is just practical advice that even an atheist can use.     

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2006, 10:08:05 AM »
in that case  the easiest thing to do is manually insert {quote} {/quote} (but with the [] instead of {}) around each portion of text you want to quote .... just remember that the first {quote} and the last {/quote} are already included

Ok...I will try that next time.  Thank you very much :D
R

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »
i use the engrish langauge to perfection. and no you never answered my question i dont think you even comprehend my question, let alone give me anything worth thinking about. my statement about inprobability and atheism is based on the mathematic impossilbility of chance and formation of the universe etc without guidance. atheism and improbabilty are inextricable with use of logic. i dont want to get back into this argument because i have said my piece i just wanted to hear another atheist pov on origins, for a different perspective. the question is what is your explanation for singularities exsistence or ex nihilo

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »
i use the engrish langauge to perfection. and no you never answered my question i dont think you even comprehend my question, let alone give me anything worth thinking about. my statement about inprobability and atheism is based on the mathematic impossilbility of chance and formation of the universe etc without guidance. atheism and improbabilty are inextricable with use of logic. i dont want to get back into this argument because i have said my piece i just wanted to hear another atheist pov on origins, for a different perspective. the question is what is your explanation for singularities exsistence or ex nihilo

I like it

UpTheDosage

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2006, 03:40:38 PM »
I am an Egnostic and I've had more than one person tell me that I'm also a "closet christian" because I guess I live my life like a christian. What exactly does that mean? I don't even believe in God, how can I live life like a Christian? Just because I'm a good person and do what I think is right? 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »

I am an Egnostic and I've had more than one person tell me that I'm also a "closet christian" because I guess I live my life like a christian. What exactly does that mean? I don't even believe in God, how can I live life like a Christian? Just because I'm a good person and do what I think is right? 

in your terms what is morality and were does the standard for morality come from?

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2006, 05:56:44 PM »
Sometimes. 

Because I'm not the "knock on your door and share my faith" type Christian, I have to be what's called a "lifestyle evangelist."  I don't really talk about religion much on a daily basis.  Most of the people I work with aren't very "religious."  I try and let my lifestyle let people know that I'm a Christian.  Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not. 

You should try reading the book of Proverbs.  It has a ton of stuff that can help you.  I read portions of it every week.  Much of it is just practical advice that even an atheist can use.     

thanks for the honest answer

ya speaking in tongues man

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2006, 06:31:22 PM »
basically what is the cause to the effect which is the universe. what created the universe from your point of view? you can use science in your answer or your own opinion i just wanted the pov of another atheist on this board. basically one of the ways i see it is that the laws of physics would have to preceed matter in order for matter to exsist for without laws matter is impossible. so this is one of the reasons i believe in an eternal god. also, the word eternal gets mixed up alot and people say well then what created god but they mis-interpret the word eternal for it has no cause. something in this life has to be eternal for infinity is not possible with logical reasoning.

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2006, 08:04:51 PM »

When do you first let someone know you're an atheist?  When they start talking about God?  Or do you offer it as an FYI in general or......?

It depends on where you are?   It also depends on the person.    Religion & Politics are subjects that make people "go off"!!  People who get on their "soapbox" suck!   :)

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2006, 08:11:05 PM »
basically what is the cause to the effect which is the universe. what created the universe from your point of view? you can use science in your answer or your own opinion i just wanted the pov of another atheist on this board. basically one of the ways i see it is that the laws of physics would have to preceed matter in order for matter to exsist for without laws matter is impossible. so this is one of the reasons i believe in an eternal god. also, the word eternal gets mixed up alot and people say well then what created god but they mis-interpret the word eternal for it has no cause. something in this life has to be eternal for infinity is not possible with logical reasoning.

dude... Im a gym rat from the western suburbs of Sydney. I dont have the first clue as to how the universe was created and frankly I dont care.  :D

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2006, 08:47:34 PM »
then your position as an atheist is ludicris and frankly ignorant. and your intolerance for people who have studied information and label themselves christian or whatever is without base, because you dont have a clue what your talking about. so in other words you shouldn't be arguing anything at all.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2006, 11:23:44 PM »
Why dont you go read your bible and then stick it up your ass

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2006, 11:38:22 PM »
I think religion used to be important to provide guidance and morals for people but now that people are educated and can think for themself (or should be able to), they should be able to decide for themselves what decisions are morally justified and which ones are not.  If you live by a law, ie religion, to tell you on how to behave you are excluding choice from your life, which per definition, means you are not choosing good over evil, you are merely following instructions like a robot.

If you can decide for yourself which choices are good over evil, then you are truly a good person.
It hasn't helped...

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2006, 06:49:37 AM »
smaul, good points but how does a kid no right from wrong, and if it is because of older generations then wouldnt morality right and wrong change with generations, or leaders. also, if you go back in time morality is basically the same, but some people choose not to obey morality(murderers etc all knew it was wrong but choose not to obey morality, for ref read about jeff dahmer). basically what im getting at is that morality seems to be engrained wether through genes or morphilogical resonance for instance. the question i ask is why do we have this standard for morality if god didn't engrain it, and what purpose does it serve in a strong shall survive civilization?

also, bigger buisness i havent read the bible but am versed somewhat in science and that is were i draw my inspiration from(ie god).

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2006, 06:56:57 AM »
I see where you're coming from and although I dont agree with you I think you make a good point!
It hasn't helped...

UpTheDosage

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2006, 01:00:10 PM »

in your terms what is morality and were does the standard for morality come from?

morality to me is simply one's beliefs in what is right and what is wrong. I don't think the standard for morality comes from anywhere. There really is no standard. I mean, it really depends. There are so many different levels of morality to consider. You have rules to follow in school or at work, you have laws to follow and you have internal "rules" or morals to follow in personal situations. It's hard to say where the standard comes from.

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »
morality exists entirely in the minds of men

for instance, to many over here flying planes into towers is immoral while invading other countries is not

whereas, in those other countries you will find many who think invading their country is immoral while flying planes into towers is not

500 years ago banging 15 year olds was kosher, now it is not

charging interest used to be usery, now it is not

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2006, 01:16:18 PM »
im talking about right and wrong within humans that cant come from "beliefs", morality need not be dissected, but is a basic dichotomy. why does a infant know not to kick a baby in the face or the universal right and wrongs throughout societies. i get what your saying but children no right from wrong and thus wouldn't be catergorized as there moral beleifs but that of their parents for instance. however, if it is the authority figures that teach beliefs why doesn't moral attitudes change through the generations, things like incest etc.. there must be a standard which people attend to, in that morals of basic right and wrong do not change within each person for the most part as seen in society. what im getting at is there is some programmed entity of morality, wether it serves a evolutionary purpose i dont know but there seems to be a universal right and wrong, with regards to friendship, incest etc..

most cultures have taboos about incest and morality in children and is evident before coercion.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2006, 01:56:14 PM »
People often focus on gray areas when talking about morality, but there is a lot of black and white:

rape
murder
incest
child molestation
cheating (in business)