Author Topic: 2001 Olympia - Memorial of how controversial it was  (Read 9091 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
2001 Olympia - Memorial of how controversial it was
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
actually I think Shawn should have won one or two Olympias, but I think he was his own worst enemy and wasn't well liked by the judges...I think people did not like Shawn because they were jealous of his big contract with Weider and because he used to be so vain about himself...

I was at the 2001 Olympia in Vegas and at the athletes press conference, Shawn got into a argument with one of the judges of the show because he felt his physique wasn't getting its due.....she proceeded to tell Shawn that "your physique is the same...it hasn't changed in years"..this led to Shawn saying "see?..I told you that the judges are biased against me! she's already judged me before the show has even started."

that judge was then removed from the panel..Shawn came in fourth in the Olympia but should have been third behind Ronnie and Jay from what I saw....This led Shawn to resent bodybuilding and to retire since he felt he should have been second due to Jay testing positive for diuretics which was banned at the time and he felt that Jay was supposed to be disqualified because of the ban...but Jay threatened to sue and was allowed to keep his second place placing which robbed Shawn of the second place finish and the bigger prize money

At that same press conference, Craig Titus got into a argument with King Kamali over remarks Kamali made about Titus having a distended bloated belly...Kamali tried to back down but Titus told him that he, Titus was the better bodybuilder and would kick Kamali's ass any day....I was shocked at all of this stuff going on out in the open but it was really exciting..the crowd was loving it...

Ronnie also made his famous "apples and oranges" line at the press conference in response to someone in the audience saying that Ronnie didn't deserve to win all the Olympias he had won....Ronnie in response stated with a shrug..

"some people like apples..some like oranges"....the athletes on the stage and the fans in the audience were dumbfounded and didn't understand the meaning of the comment..LOL

At the Olympia all of the athletes actually left the stage and went into the upper decks and posed with the fans....it was amazing....the crowd was going wild..and it was packed..not an empty seat in the house...it was close but Ronnie won.....the crowd mostly agreed with the decision....but you could see that Jay was really really pissed....Kevin Levrone placed third I think, and people were upset about that.....Tom Prince looked really good that night and did a nice posing routine which was too short...he didn't look confident and looked like he wanted to hurry up and get off the stage..the crowd urged him to keep posing but he blew a kiss to the crowd and left

it was a great weekend and I haven't been able to get back since....I am trying to go to this upcoming Olympia

Maddy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Watchdog
Re: MEMORIES OF THE CONTROVERSIAL 2001 OLYMPIA
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »

you remember this for ten years?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »

you remember this for ten years?

yes I do...it was and is the ONLY bodybuilding show I have EVER gone to ....you tend to remember things like that when its a unique experience

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
'02 was pretty controversial.  At least from the audience POV.
:

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
princess no....

Coleman destroyed kevin, kevins back and legs were amateurish compared to coleman

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »
princess no....

Coleman destroyed kevin, kevins back and legs were amateurish compared to coleman
Quite the contrary 02 was very controversial for Ronnie and Kev beat him in the night show.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
Man, lot of memories tied to the 2001 Olympia.

Firstly it was the only pro contest I have ever been to. I do love bodybuilding, but not enough to fly around the damn country for it.

This was also the first time I had ever been to Las Vegas. I had never gambled on anything (had just turned 21 anyway) and had never done any drugs aside from weed. I had drank maybe 4-5 times in my life and only slept with maybe 7 girls.

So going all the way to Vegas was huge! I had never even flown on a damn airplane, so the trip for me was really eye opening.

I remember, first of all, this happening not long after 9/11. We had to wait in 3 hour lines to get on or off airplanes. The airport in Vegas was huge! And had slot machines every haha.

I remember taking a tram car in between the hotels, and being really blown away by the different mega hotels. The Luxor and Bellagio really stood out to me. MGM Grand was also fairly impressive.

Mandalay Bay was really nice, although we were on a non smoking floor the room still smelled like cigarettes. I remember we ate at the Rainforest Cafe at least 5 times in 3 days haha.

Anyway, as boybuilding had been my life since I was 14, I was really excited. This took months of saving considering I made $10 an hour working for a doctor doing filing and was spending at least $500 a month on food and supps. Had never taken any gear at that point. I weighed maybe 225.

When I got to vegas with my buddy and his wife to be and her friend, we all decided the girls would go do whatever (they hated bodybuilding) and we would do all things bodybuilding. Which, sadly, amounted to going to the expo and pre-judging, then night show. Missed the press conference unfortunately.

I remember a few things about the expo- for one, it wasn't really all that big. I mean, do not get me wrong, it was definitely big, but it was not really as big as I had hoped. I got to meet some great bodybuilders, for one Troy Alves, he was at the time the "next big thing". Seems like there are always next big things in bodybuilding, but they rarely pan out.

Met Greg Kovacs, who at the time was 350 or so and sitting in a chair in an air conditioned room was dripping sweat- it was pouring out of his body so bad he had a large white towel around his shoulders, and had to wipe his forehead constantly. He was really nice, got out of his chair to shake my hand (then sat right back down). Not sure why he never took bodybuilding seriously, he was fine shoveling food and drugs into his system but training was never his thing. A buddy in canada used to tell me kovacs was known for doing a set of leg presses, walking into the bathroom and dozing off for 10 minutes, then coming back out for another half assed set. You will never hear any stories about him being an intense trainer. Meh.

I got some free supps, got to meet some fitness girls and moved on. It wasn't really all that great.

On to the actual Olympia...

Prejudging was pretty cool. REALLY REALLY REALLY terrible music though! Super homosexual, it was some crappy radio trance cheese that made my skin crawl. Now, I am a HUGE EDM guy, I was a trance DJ for years, so to hear this crap at the Olympia- I couldn't fathom it.

Everyone wanted to see Ronnie, and when he came out, he was massive. Decent poser. The biggest shocker was Jay Cutler- I had no clue who the guy was, despite following bodybuilding pretty closely, he was just "the ninth place guy" you know? When he hit the stage, HOLY SHIT was he impressive! I mean damn! The audience was floored, some were getting out of their chairs. It was clear he was a threat to Ronnie! No one could believe it, to say the least.

Also I should clarify something- at least for this one year, the bodybuilders were able to come out before pre-judging for a short routine, maybe a minute long. Not sure if this still happens? So we got to see the different guys come out. I think Ronnie was actually toward the back of the order. I can't remember.

Tom Prince looked amazing, but was way too amped up. Maybe it was because it was his first olympia, but I think more likely amphetamines. He was very jittery and shaky.

Wasn't impressed with Levrone, his legs were too small. Cormier looked great I thought. Nasser had faded, he was no longer a contender to say the least.

In the end everyone picked Jay for the overall. In my eyes, Jay definitely won the show. He ended up getting second, but should have won. Ronnie felt as much, when they announced second, ronnie shook his head yes and held up his fingers like acknowledging he had gotten 2nd, then they say 'JAY CUTLER!" and Ronnie dropped to the ground. I know he had done that before, but I think this time it really meant something- he was REALLY floored.

Jay had a weaker back true, but Jay was so much better conditioned- regardless he failed the diuretics test, he looked amazing and you can be sure the other guys were taking similar shit anyway.

I will say something else- at the show, it was clear Ronnie was so far ahead of the rest of the guys- I mean, WOW, next to the other bodybuilders Ronnie looked like a gorilla! I mean he must have had 20lbs on the next group of guys, if not more. Just MASSIVE. But also badly bloated. In the end, a badly bloated guy with more muscle beat a much more conditioned and slightly smaller guy. Jay should have won.

Saw too many robot routines, they got old. Kamali and vince taylor at least did them.

I really dislike most bodybuilders routines, though Ronnies was good this year. He had red white and blue trunks, or pulled a flag out i can't remember anymore. His routine was inspiring. Some other guys posed to rap, which I hated.

All in all great memory.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »
Without meaning to, I believe I went to the best bodybuilding contest in history. Check this lineup!

1     Ronnie Coleman
2     Jay Cutler
3     Kevin Levrone
4     Shawn Ray
5     Chris Cormier
6     Orville Burke
7     Dennis James
8     Dexter Jackson
9     Nasser El Sonbaty
10     Shari Kamali (King)
11     Melvin Anthony
12     Craig Titus
13     Vince Taylor
14     Markus Rühl
15     Gunter Schlierkamp
16     Tom Prince
17     J D Dawodu
18     Darrem Charles
19     Pavol Jablonicky
20     Claude Groulx
21     Mike Matarazzo

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
Interesting write up by King Kamali. Really well written and spot on IMO.

http://www.getbig.com/pics/olympia/2001/olympiareport05.htm

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
Ron the first link on this page is busted, links to 2010 Olympia.

http://www.getbig.com/pics/olympia/2001/olympia2001.htm

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »
Great write up by Shawn Ray

Getbig   2001 Olympia
Review & Reports
2001 Mr Olympia Review
by Shawn Ray

From Shawn Ray's web site. Shawn is one of the best bodybuilders of the 1990's, with Shawn's amazing track record at the Mr. Olympia unequaled by any other. Shawn is also one of the outspoken bodybuilders in the industry, going after what he see is wrong and right in the sport of bodybuilding.
As the dust settles in the dessert sands of Las Vegas, I can now officially say we made some progress at this year's Mr. Olympia with the Press Conference getting a few things out in the open and on the record! There was a lot of talk from quite a few professionals about what all they were going to do this year and resorted to WWF Style of "Self Promotion" sadly, many of them didn't have a word to say at the highly anticipated press conference to kick things off. Just goes to show you how easy it is talking to a reporter over the phone or addressing an audience as the featured guest poser but when it comes to CENTER STAGE, there can be only ONE! I am referring to Kamali calling me out all year as he traveled the 50 states and I quote," I am gonna do the IFBB a favor and kick Shawn's Bald Ass all over the Olympia Stage and send him into retirement!" Kind of hard to do Kamali when you can even get a call out with me huh? Here's a guy I never met before in my life, back stage with a chance to clear the air and confront me MAN to MAN about his grievances, he stated, " I am gonna kick his Ass for Chad?" What, Kamali the Great Defender of grown men who have been offended by me? As I figured before I arrived at the show, the man was a Coward and to this day has yet to utter a word face to face. I have no love for disrespectful jealous, shit talkers who can't stand the fact that at 5'7 215lb I kicked his ass the way he dreamed of Kissing mine, LOSER! Now shut up and train!

Now, on to the show! As usual, the press conference kicked things into high gear. Mr. De Milia suggested to a fan that "we" professionals could get a score card with the names of the judges and their personal scores anytime we wanted, all we needed to do was ask him and he would fax it over, NOT! This got me fired up to put things in perspective so that it was on record and in front of the fans to see what "we" professional are dealing with in the form of a power that is antiquated and out dated. One thing lead to another and a Mr. Olympia Judge and District Chair Person for the state of Texas decided this would be a great time for her to tell me off and essentially tell me I haven't changed in 12 years but she'd be judging me in two days. By the time I was done with her, my colleagues were calling me "ZORRO" for slicing her to pieces with intellect, facts, figures, history and a polite kindness that should not have been reserved for her if she were not a woman. That being said, the IFBB promptly removed her from the judging panel and she continued to "WATCH" the Olympia from the sidelines, in spite of her 20 years in the industry because of her remarks and prejudice!

Kudos to the IFBB for doing the right thing!

On to the show…. 10th~ Kamali~ I had Vince Taylor in this spot at what 45 years old? Some guys get all the breaks and Kamali got his in my humble opinion. His physique was reminiscent of the Ironman and Arnold no real change but I could really see the PRONOUNCED Delts that Titus was talking about all year, kind funky looking? Wonder why. Good condition small BI's dry lower back and hams, posing routine entertaining if you like dancing not posing maybe 5 poses in a 5 minute routine.

9th~ Nasser~ I predicted this outcome immediately after last years Olympia "read my Olympia Preview" in last moths Flex magazine. It amazed me when I saw his delts, what is this veteran bodybuilding champion thinking? Can you say "SWOLLEN" Nasser may have been heavier but it certainly didn't help his cause the Back was smooth and flat as well I believe he has a torn left biceps and it looks to be enhanced with a funky solution that made his arms look unbalanced.

8th~ Dexter~ Solid as usual. High lats hurt him in this line-up. I believe he was a bit off from earlier in the year but he was very close to where he needed to be this was just the best he could do on this day. I actually had him in 6th and Orville in 8th but that's just my opinion. His time will come but needs to compete less and focus on one or two shows a year to improve.

7th~Dennis~ Something's not right come the day of the show? Looks better a week or two out every year. High lats hurt him and a shallow back. Needs to bomb the back if he plans to move up in this show. Thighs, needed more separation, display more confidence and master the front double biceps pose. Practice posing 7 mandatory's until mastered then we will see improvement. Pushing the envelope on bodyweight needs to be careful of the bloat syndrome.

6th~ Burke~ Surprise #1. I think even Orville surprised himself with this one. Up from 10th last year to the final posedown. Genuinely happy guy, two pro wins this year and a top 6 at the Mr. O, Dreams do come true! Orville said he killed himself for this show and was rewarded for it. Still needs better control over the mid section, thick skin, work on posing, drop a few pounds for better muscle control and separation. He has the kind of body the judges are rewarding along the lines of Coleman & Culter weight wise and height wise.

5th~ Cormier~ The Dennis Rodman of bodybuilding! How does he do it? Cormier a victim of too many shows, traveling and lack of commitment to the BIG ONE! Chris was heavy as I predicted in my Flex Preview of the Olympia. Seemed to be in his own little world, very laid back and chilled out. In a word, "SMOOTH". Chris got caught sleeping on the job and if he focused could have beaten Cutler and myself. Goes to show you what focus and commitment play when you talk about the Mr. Olympia and not the Ironman, Arnold and others. This was Chris' 2nd time ever in the Top 5 of the Mr. Olympia. To keep things in perspective with his 7th try at the title. What do I know, I'm short, old and on my way out, right Chris?

4th~Ray~ 211lbs. 2lbs lighter than last year. I worked mostly on back, shoulders and reducing my thighs. I felt a little flat at prejudging, missed my warm up call by about 5 mins. By night show filled out nicely added some H2O and felt I hit my peak better. From my stand point I thought I had Kevin whom eventually beat me by 4pts. What would I change? Nothing, I am pleased with my look and happy with my condition 3rd or 4th is what? Apples & Oranges, right Ronnie?

3rd~Levrone~ The fact that Kevin was even allowed to compete stunned the rest of the athletes. Kevin had not paid for his IFBB Pro card which was due in Dec 2000. Kevin had not even signed the Olympia Contract to compete due in July! The IFBB ruled as late as Sunday, October 20th, that Kevin would not be allowed to compete for these reasons. Apparently Kevin was to hold a 'NO Holds Barred' Press Conference at the Mr. O and suddenly Weider allowed Kevin entrance into the show which the IFBB said they would impose the largest fine ever in this sport of $25,000.00! Kevin would compete, slight off his best of last year. Legs were considerably down, abs still good, back not thick but detailed, calves non-existent. Posing routine entertaining and a crowd favorite.

2nd~ Cutler~ 2nd surprise of the night. Crowd favorite, much heavier and muscular than the previous two Olympia's where he was last and 8th place respectively. In his 3rd Olympia being one of the younger guys, Jason has positioned himself as the man to beat next year, as the crowd was thoroughly disappointed he didn't win this year. Still blocky by my standards, soft but cut. Needs more confidence and aggression to be taken seriously. Hopefully will not add more bodyweight as this would ruin what shape he has. 3 Cheers for Jay, the most improved on stage from last year!

1St~Coleman ~ 4 Times Mr. Olympia, only 3 guys with more titles Arnold, Haney and Yates! Coleman was no different than last year, said he was the same bodyweight 264lbs. back and arms best body parts, stomach bloated and protruding most of the night but could tighten it when needed. Still overall better balance and shape than Jason. Ronnie needs to drop the extra water and bloat by coming in lighter which is still bigger than the rest of the field. Trailing by 6pts going into the night show and then winning by 4pts is unheard of, not anymore. I guess in this night as with the Masters Olympia, the judges decided the posing round would actually count and determine the outcome of the two biggest shows we have. Things that make you go,"HHHHhhmmmmmm"

Overview: The show in spite of our heightened security, was a success. People from Russia, South Africa, Poland, Hungary, England, Germany and Japan turned out to support us and that says a lot about our fan base, thank you! Through the cheers for Curtler and the Boo's for Ronnie, the auditorium echo with the resounding chorus of boo's regarding Markus Ruel. I really didn't see much of Markus but the crowd let the judges know they were non-too happy with him out of the top 10!

Next year Wayne De Melia promised to have the judges present at the press conference. For all you fans, this is your chance for hard ball questions that may help change the direction of the sport and break up a few monopolies that we feel exist among the panel.

11 guys went home with no prize money. Before I am finished with bodybuilding, my goal is to make sure that the last place guy has at least $5,000.00 to show for his efforts, support and completion of this great event.

I feel this is the least of my contribution back to the sport that I can foreseeably achieve and ensure!

Until next time, Stay Hungry!

Shawn Ray

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 07:09:23 PM »

At that same press conference, Craig Titus got into a argument with King Kamali over remarks Kamali made about Titus having a distended bloated belly...

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »
Without meaning to, I believe I went to the best bodybuilding contest in history. Check this lineup!

1     Ronnie Coleman
2     Jay Cutler
3     Kevin Levrone
4     Shawn Ray
5     Chris Cormier
6     Orville Burke
7     Dennis James
8     Dexter Jackson
9     Nasser El Sonbaty
10     Shari Kamali (King)
11     Melvin Anthony
12     Craig Titus
13     Vince Taylor
14     Markus Rühl
15     Gunter Schlierkamp
16     Tom Prince
17     J D Dawodu
18     Darrem Charles
19     Pavol Jablonicky
20     Claude Groulx
21     Mike Matarazzo

Lol ! Memory lane, fellas !! I remember this show, too. This is JUST when I started fallin' in love with bb'ing. HELL of a lineup !! I remember each and every one of them, too. :)

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
The Olympias from '99-'03 were all nice to attend.  The Mandalay Bay is a nice place and you didn't have to travel across town to see the expo.  Much classier feel than The Orleans. 

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
I was wrong, saturday morning Ronnie went first Jay went second.

VERY nice write up by Ron here.

http://www.getbig.com/pics/olympia/2001/olympiareport01.htm

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »
princess no....

I was referring to Gunter taking 5th
:

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »
Man, lot of memories tied to the 2001 Olympia.

Firstly it was the only pro contest I have ever been to. I do love bodybuilding, but not enough to fly around the damn country for it.

This was also the first time I had ever been to Las Vegas. I had never gambled on anything (had just turned 21 anyway) and had never done any drugs aside from weed. I had drank maybe 4-5 times in my life and only slept with maybe 7 girls.

So going all the way to Vegas was huge! I had never even flown on a damn airplane, so the trip for me was really eye opening.

I remember, first of all, this happening not long after 9/11. We had to wait in 3 hour lines to get on or off airplanes. The airport in Vegas was huge! And had slot machines every haha.

I remember taking a tram car in between the hotels, and being really blown away by the different mega hotels. The Luxor and Bellagio really stood out to me. MGM Grand was also fairly impressive.

Mandalay Bay was really nice, although we were on a non smoking floor the room still smelled like cigarettes. I remember we ate at the Rainforest Cafe at least 5 times in 3 days haha.

Anyway, as boybuilding had been my life since I was 14, I was really excited. This took months of saving considering I made $10 an hour working for a doctor doing filing and was spending at least $500 a month on food and supps. Had never taken any gear at that point. I weighed maybe 225.

When I got to vegas with my buddy and his wife to be and her friend, we all decided the girls would go do whatever (they hated bodybuilding) and we would do all things bodybuilding. Which, sadly, amounted to going to the expo and pre-judging, then night show. Missed the press conference unfortunately.

I remember a few things about the expo- for one, it wasn't really all that big. I mean, do not get me wrong, it was definitely big, but it was not really as big as I had hoped. I got to meet some great bodybuilders, for one Troy Alves, he was at the time the "next big thing". Seems like there are always next big things in bodybuilding, but they rarely pan out.

Met Greg Kovacs, who at the time was 350 or so and sitting in a chair in an air conditioned room was dripping sweat- it was pouring out of his body so bad he had a large white towel around his shoulders, and had to wipe his forehead constantly. He was really nice, got out of his chair to shake my hand (then sat right back down). Not sure why he never took bodybuilding seriously, he was fine shoveling food and drugs into his system but training was never his thing. A buddy in canada used to tell me kovacs was known for doing a set of leg presses, walking into the bathroom and dozing off for 10 minutes, then coming back out for another half assed set. You will never hear any stories about him being an intense trainer. Meh.

I got some free supps, got to meet some fitness girls and moved on. It wasn't really all that great.

On to the actual Olympia...

Prejudging was pretty cool. REALLY REALLY REALLY terrible music though! Super homosexual, it was some crappy radio trance cheese that made my skin crawl. Now, I am a HUGE EDM guy, I was a trance DJ for years, so to hear this crap at the Olympia- I couldn't fathom it.

Everyone wanted to see Ronnie, and when he came out, he was massive. Decent poser. The biggest shocker was Jay Cutler- I had no clue who the guy was, despite following bodybuilding pretty closely, he was just "the ninth place guy" you know? When he hit the stage, HOLY SHIT was he impressive! I mean damn! The audience was floored, some were getting out of their chairs. It was clear he was a threat to Ronnie! No one could believe it, to say the least.

Also I should clarify something- at least for this one year, the bodybuilders were able to come out before pre-judging for a short routine, maybe a minute long. Not sure if this still happens? So we got to see the different guys come out. I think Ronnie was actually toward the back of the order. I can't remember.

Tom Prince looked amazing, but was way too amped up. Maybe it was because it was his first olympia, but I think more likely amphetamines. He was very jittery and shaky.

Wasn't impressed with Levrone, his legs were too small. Cormier looked great I thought. Nasser had faded, he was no longer a contender to say the least.

In the end everyone picked Jay for the overall. In my eyes, Jay definitely won the show. He ended up getting second, but should have won. Ronnie felt as much, when they announced second, ronnie shook his head yes and held up his fingers like acknowledging he had gotten 2nd, then they say 'JAY CUTLER!" and Ronnie dropped to the ground. I know he had done that before, but I think this time it really meant something- he was REALLY floored.

Jay had a weaker back true, but Jay was so much better conditioned- regardless he failed the diuretics test, he looked amazing and you can be sure the other guys were taking similar shit anyway.

I will say something else- at the show, it was clear Ronnie was so far ahead of the rest of the guys- I mean, WOW, next to the other bodybuilders Ronnie looked like a gorilla! I mean he must have had 20lbs on the next group of guys, if not more. Just MASSIVE. But also badly bloated. In the end, a badly bloated guy with more muscle beat a much more conditioned and slightly smaller guy. Jay should have won.

Saw too many robot routines, they got old. Kamali and vince taylor at least did them.

I really dislike most bodybuilders routines, though Ronnies was good this year. He had red white and blue trunks, or pulled a flag out i can't remember anymore. His routine was inspiring. Some other guys posed to rap, which I hated.

All in all great memory.

very nice post...I also remember that while leaving Vegas I saw Mike Mattarazzo at the airport and his calves were unreal...I had never seen anything like them..they looked like they belonged to an alien....they were HUGE

you were spot on about the show....the expo was small but I was so excited i didn't notice at the time..and seeing Lou Ferrigno up close was unreal.....even though he tried to get me for $20 for a picture which I refused...

and you were right about the Las Vegas airport..HUGE...took me forever to get out of there..and slot machines as soon as you exit the plane!

you were also right about the Hotels and how wonderful they were to tour....and the Mandalay Bay was incredible.,..do you remember the huge and awesome fish tank in the lobby??..along with a display of the heavyweight champion Belt and boxing gloves...

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »
Cool stories..

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 11:16:01 PM »
That was one of my favorite olympias ever, and the first olympia I ever watched!  I even remember I was alone in the computer lab at my university on a saturday night watching the live stream because I only had dial up at home.  Shawn ray placed right where he should have, it was close between ronnie and jay, but I thought the outcome was fair!  I remember how wide orville burk looked and how awesome cormier looked too!   Its kinda sad I even remember the music a lot of people posed too, this is all from memory:

prince -ac dc thunder struck,
nasser -dracula,  rob zombie
coleman -started out with hero then rap,
 kamali - started with in the air tonight then get your freak on,
gunter -here I go again,
ray - you're gonna love me
Dennis james -watch me now I got it
ruhl -rammstein
Mike matarazzo -limp bizkit rolling
Jay had a bit of prodigy in there amongst other things
Three guys, I think dexter, burk, and jd all came out to the same song
Vince taylor called out osama bin laden
That's all I remember

Oh and king looked awesome at this show

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 12:17:12 AM »
I would say this picture says it all. Jay crushed Ronnie in the prejudging but lost the night show. Ronnie's posing routine kicked ass.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
That was one of my favorite olympias ever, and the first olympia I ever watched!  I even remember I was alone in the computer lab at my university on a saturday night watching the live stream because I only had dial up at home.  Shawn ray placed right where he should have, it was close between ronnie and jay, but I thought the outcome was fair!  I remember how wide orville burk looked and how awesome cormier looked too!   Its kinda sad I even remember the music a lot of people posed too, this is all from memory:

prince -ac dc thunder struck,
nasser -dracula,  rob zombie
coleman -started out with hero then rap,
 kamali - started with in the air tonight then get your freak on,
gunter -here I go again,
ray - you're gonna love me
Dennis james -watch me now I got it
ruhl -rammstein
Mike matarazzo -limp bizkit rolling
Jay had a bit of prodigy in there amongst other things
Three guys, I think dexter, burk, and jd all came out to the same song
Vince taylor called out osama bin laden
That's all I remember

Oh and king looked awesome at this show

King Kamali really looked great, I have to admit.

CRACKING TOP 10 AT THIS OLYMPIA WAS NOT FUCKING EASY!!!!!!!!

I hope Kamali chimes in, would be interesting to hear his views now. Look at all the things he had to say about Titus, and he was spot on.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 12:38:06 AM »
I would say this picture says it all. Jay crushed Ronnie in the prejudging but lost the night show. Ronnie's posing routine kicked ass.

Jay had a more polished look that year. Still Ronnie was better...although "fat".

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 02:02:18 AM »

oh

look how small and blocky jay looks next to ronnie

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 03:02:38 AM »
I think it's funny how everyone said Jay should have won that show and said been Mr O, now fast forward 10 yrs, he is MR O and everyone wants him gone....

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 03:14:55 AM »

I believe the 2001 video was posted a few months back...and it showed Jay being crushed---he was improved, but he still had no back compared to Ronnie...