Author Topic: The WICKED truth about my training  (Read 368406 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: The WICKED truth about my training
« Reply #1100 on: May 24, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »
No kidding! MAXIMUS is teh shit!

Sorry to hear about that though. How much weight was he handing to you?

385. Something I can handle myself no problem.. I just figured I could work on handouts and getting used to them for the comp in a month with lighter weights just to get used to it.

DIDN'T WORKOUT SO WELL!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #1101 on: May 24, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »
Sorry to hear that wicked... you better rest those shoulders and make sure you are 100% before you get back to it!

How are ya feelin' now? 

:)

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1102 on: May 24, 2008, 09:36:58 PM »
Sorry to hear that wicked... you better rest those shoulders and make sure you are 100% before you get back to it!

How are ya feelin' now? 

hes telling me pretty drunk right now LOLOL

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1103 on: May 25, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »
haha i was pretty out of it last night!  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1104 on: May 25, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
Well at least your shoulders were feeling no pain!   :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1105 on: May 26, 2008, 08:45:49 PM »
went for a lowerbody day since i've been balls to the wall restless all week.. shoulders are feeling okay. Been doing alot of stretching and rehab work to get them pain free in all movement.

rack pulls mid shin:  beltless

135x10x1 warmup
315x5x1
500x5x1
585x5x1

callus went.. had to stop due to bloodying up the place  >:(

good mornings: narrow stance and beltless

135x10x1
225x10x1
315x10x1
405x10x1

abductor work for 4 sets
seated leg curls for 4 sets

not bad for the first true lower body day in weeks... but this callus thing is killing my lifting. I might be using straps until it gets better.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #1106 on: May 27, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
ever tried SSB good mornings? i think they may help you out, since you seem to be in dire need of hip and lower back work.  :P

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1107 on: May 27, 2008, 08:22:29 AM »
ever tried SSB good mornings? i think they may help you out, since you seem to be in dire need of hip and lower back work.  :P

Dont' have an SSB at my disposal. I did yesterday's work all high bar and narrow stance.. hardest fucking gm's I've ever done! Wide stance with the bar riding at legal squat depth is SO much easier than doing them this way.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1108 on: May 27, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
Dont' have an SSB at my disposal. I did yesterday's work all high bar and narrow stance.. hardest fucking gm's I've ever done! Wide stance with the bar riding at legal squat depth is SO much easier than doing them this way.

for real? dude, even 225 on high-bar GMs nearly cracks my neck in half.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1109 on: May 27, 2008, 08:46:27 AM »
for real? dude, even 225 on high-bar GMs nearly cracks my neck in half.

yeah man i'm starting to get that weird callus over the back of my vertebrae where the bar typically sits. You know that growth looking thing you see on the back of johnnie jackson's neck that looks like a giant zit? That is starting to build up from all the squatting and goodmornings I do.. you'll have one too i'm sure.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1110 on: May 27, 2008, 09:02:05 AM »
yeah man i'm starting to get that weird callus over the back of my vertebrae where the bar typically sits. You know that growth looking thing you see on the back of johnnie jackson's neck that looks like a giant zit? That is starting to build up from all the squatting and goodmornings I do.. you'll have one too i'm sure.

well i'm a severely low-bar squatter. it sits atop my rear delts and i've got a pretty righteous callus that goes across my shoulders as a result. above that and it's not even that it hurts the vertebrae there, it's that the bar literally sits on the back of my neck just under where my hairline ends every time i try to squat/GM high-bar. hurts like a mofo.

oh the joys of a long torso with stubby legs.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #1111 on: May 27, 2008, 09:07:25 AM »
oh the joys of a long torso with stubby legs.

Guess thats why you can pull so much! I was considering having my humerus snapped and lengthened to help with my deadlift numbers.

Eventually you must admit to yourself that training can only take you so far and then science needs to step in.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1112 on: May 27, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
Guess thats why you can pull so much! I was considering having my humerus snapped and lengthened to help with my deadlift numbers.

Eventually you must admit to yourself that training can only take you so far and then science needs to step in.

haha, maybe true if i didn't have little arms! that's why i can rep out 225 without much trouble despite my max being lower than 225x25 would indicate, my ROM is naturally pretty short for a guy over six feet tall. but no, i've got these short thighbones with a huge torso and little arms that gives me possibly the worst build for the deadlift imaginable.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #1113 on: May 27, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »
haha, maybe true if i didn't have little arms! that's why i can rep out 225 without much trouble despite my max being lower than 225x25 would indicate, my ROM is naturally pretty short for a guy over six feet tall. but no, i've got these short thighbones with a huge torso and little arms that gives me possibly the worst build for the deadlift imaginable.

Is that how you describe yourself on internet dating sites? ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1114 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »
You guys are really turning me on with your torso and thighbone talk... and the calluses... Mmmmmmm that's HOT!   :-*

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1115 on: May 27, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
You guys are really turning me on with your torso and thighbone talk... and the calluses... Mmmmmmm that's HOT!   :-*

someone get her a towel lol

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1116 on: May 27, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
Some things I noticed:

1. 3 of your last 4  ME workouts have included some sort of HEAVY DL.  Nothing will fry your CNS faster than that, especially as a natural athlete.

2. Your variety of exercises on your ME days seems to be lacking.  You DO NOT have to have a bunch of bars to add variety to them either.  You can change grips, stance, bar position, bands/chains, angle, rep speed, etc.

3. BE CREATIVE!  No SSB?  Wrap a FAT beach towel around the bar and get it way of of your back.  Use your bands more!  Dont forget about reverse band exercises.  Use a mini band around your back, held in your hands when you do any pressing.  DO SOMETHING!

4. Remember the BASIC TEMPLATE and how it is set up in the conjugate method.  All Days are the same, but the loading and waves are different.

ME Days
Main Exercise-Exercise that mimics the competitive lifts-up to a heavy single, double, or triple.  Remember that the most important thing for this lift is to make it a true max effort for that DAY.  You might not set an all time PR,(although you should strive to), but it should be the most weight you can move THAT DAY.  Also, getting a really good 3-4 second strain under heavy weights is more important than setting a PR.  This lift trains the CNS, whereas the supplemental and accessory work trains the muscles.  MAKE IT HARD.

Supplemental Exercise-On Bench days, this is a tricep exercise.  On SQ/DL days, this is a hamstring exercise.  These are COMPOUND EXERCISES, ie floor presses, 4 board presses, good mornings, GHR's, etc.   Usually done for sets of 5 to 8, I like to do 5x5 alot.

Accessory Lift, on Bench day, it an exercise for delts, lats, traps, etc.  Face pulls, bb rows, lateral raises, etc. On SQ/DL day is an exercise for lats, abs, low back Done with bodybuilding rep schemes.  These should NOT be done to failure.  They are done to promote hypertrophy, and get work in.

Accessory Lift, on Bench day, it an exercise for delts, lats, traps, etc.  Face pulls, bb rows, lateral raises, etc. On SQ/DL day is an exercise for lats, abs, low back Done with bodybuilding rep schemes.  These should NOT be done to failure.  They are done to promote hypertrophy, and get work in.

Also, instead of the 3rd accessory lift, you can do rehab/prehab exercises. Rotator cuff work, Terminal Knee Extensions, etc.

DE Days

The only difference between ME and DE days is the rep scheme and wave patterns for your DE work on your main lift.  Everything else is the EXACT SAME.  Remember that DE work has 2 main functions.  Increasing force production, and FORM work.  So many guys get so excited about moving the bar fast their form goes to shit and they in reality gain nothing from all the hard work. For you, as a newer guy to PL in general, and specially competition benching and wide stance squatting, concentrate on form first versus explosive reps.  Move the weight fast, but do it RIGHT.  Every time.

Ryan,
Remember that this is constructive critisism, Im not trying to tear you down or attack your training style.  Youre a strong dude.  Im just trying to make sure youre strong and healthy enough to sho it at the same time.  If you have any questions about this stuff just ask budy.

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1117 on: May 28, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »
Some things I noticed:

1. 3 of your last 4  ME workouts have included some sort of HEAVY DL.  Nothing will fry your CNS faster than that, especially as a natural athlete.

2. Your variety of exercises on your ME days seems to be lacking.  You DO NOT have to have a bunch of bars to add variety to them either.  You can change grips, stance, bar position, bands/chains, angle, rep speed, etc.

3. BE CREATIVE!  No SSB?  Wrap a FAT beach towel around the bar and get it way of of your back.  Use your bands more!  Dont forget about reverse band exercises.  Use a mini band around your back, held in your hands when you do any pressing.  DO SOMETHING!

4. Remember the BASIC TEMPLATE and how it is set up in the conjugate method.  All Days are the same, but the loading and waves are different.

ME Days
Main Exercise-Exercise that mimics the competitive lifts-up to a heavy single, double, or triple.  Remember that the most important thing for this lift is to make it a true max effort for that DAY.  You might not set an all time PR,(although you should strive to), but it should be the most weight you can move THAT DAY.  Also, getting a really good 3-4 second strain under heavy weights is more important than setting a PR.  This lift trains the CNS, whereas the supplemental and accessory work trains the muscles.  MAKE IT HARD.

Supplemental Exercise-On Bench days, this is a tricep exercise.  On SQ/DL days, this is a hamstring exercise.  These are COMPOUND EXERCISES, ie floor presses, 4 board presses, good mornings, GHR's, etc.   Usually done for sets of 5 to 8, I like to do 5x5 alot.

Also, instead of the 3rd accessory lift, you can do rehab/prehab exercises. Rotator cuff work, Terminal Knee Extensions, etc.

DE Days

The only difference between ME and DE days is the rep scheme and wave patterns for your DE work on your main lift.  Everything else is the EXACT SAME.  Remember that DE work has 2 main functions.  Increasing force production, and FORM work.  So many guys get so excited about moving the bar fast their form goes to shit and they in reality gain nothing from all the hard work. For you, as a newer guy to PL in general, and specially competition benching and wide stance squatting, concentrate on form first versus explosive reps.  Move the weight fast, but do it RIGHT.  Every time.

Ryan,
Remember that this is constructive critisism, Im not trying to tear you down or attack your training style.  Youre a strong dude.  Im just trying to make sure youre strong and healthy enough to sho it at the same time.  If you have any questions about this stuff just ask budy.
Jason

well this is what i asked you to do HAHA and you're not being a dick about it! Even if you were I'd still listen to you.   I like what you had to say! The main problem in my program is more my lower body than upper?  My benching took my ass FAR FAST so what I was doing before I'm going to stick with but work on form like we've discussed and pick exercises that I KNOW work for me versus just fucking around. I always do just ONE accessory lift for the triceps and no more after all the benching and back gets ONE weighted exercises and then chins. Delts get their usual ONE exercise for 3-4 sets and so forth.

my lowerbody needs help obviously. I need to do more ham work and hip work to bring it all up.

so as far as exercises for the upper body i'm going with...

inclines
bench against HEAVY bands
bench against LIGHT bands
floor press
reverse band bench
and standard bench press

accessory tricep movements have fallen into these three exercises that have worked GREAT when I was doing them before hte program..

inclines on the weeks inclines weren't an ME exericse
close grip benching
3 board presses

those 3 have added more to my pressing power than any isolation or other tricep work has so far..

it's my lowerbody I can't figure out. I'm thinking of pulling every what.. 3-4th week for some kinda pulling exercise?  ???

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1118 on: May 28, 2008, 01:14:20 PM »
ME upper body...weight 256lbs

shoulders felt solid in the warm up and for hte past few days so wanted to give myself something to look at..

ALOT OF PREHAB! rotator work, stretching, and light shoulder warmup for a good 15 minutes.

inclines *feet elevated to prevent ass up'dness!  ;D

AM FINALLY TOUCHING MY CHEST WITH THESE!  I spaced my hands out two fingers on my grip and that seemed to help...

barx20x1
135x10x1
225x6x1
315x2x1
365x1x1
375x1x1 grinder and that's all I had in me. Kinda disappointed but didn't want to push the shoulders hard or elevate my ass like I did last time.

close grip bench press

135x8x1
225x8x1
315x8x1

the narrower my grip the less shoulder ANYTHING I feel just like louie stated... it keeps my elbows tightly tucked and prevents any shoulder rotation. NExt time it'll be 4 sets up to 365.

bent over barbell rows

135x15x1
225x15x1
315x15x1

bodyweight pullups x7x1...which is more than I thought I'd ever do HAHA!

dumbell laterals

40x8x1
50x8x1
60x8x1 weak.. i hope it won't take me long to get back where i was.

rehab!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1119 on: May 30, 2008, 01:45:38 PM »
i went off the damn deep end today i think.. started squatting and it dind't go well at ALL.. so i had a little come to jesus meeting with myself.

wide stance box squats

barx20x1
135x10x1
225x5x1
315x5x1
405x3x1...and this is where i snapped. My hips were bothering me and i coudln't even finish a set of 5 with 405.  So i took a moment.. told myself i'm sick of this shit it's time to welcome the pain back into my life and do some fucking work instead of whining. I haven't brutalized myself like this in quite some time.. and i fucking loved it.

oly squats

315x20x1
225x15x1

leg extentions

5 sets of 20 pyramiding up

leg curls

4sets of 20 pyramiding up with the 5th set to failure.. i think i hit 32 reps on the last set

front squats

135x20x1
185x20x1

calve raises

5 sets of 30

it was nice to feel my legs shaking again just from standing there...I don't get it. I can't squat for shit anymore. The best fun I had squatting was when i was doing high reps never over 500. I'm thinking of making monday's ME pull exercises with friday's being accessory work only for legs/pulling and just doing some light high rep squats for awhile to start enjoying squatting again.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1120 on: May 30, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »
185x20 on front squats? fuck man, that'd make me puke.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1121 on: May 30, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »
185x20 on front squats? fuck man, that'd make me puke.

dude today was a fuckign joke..i'm so mad about being unmotivated on squat day it's ridiculous. EVERYTHING hurts when i squat.. my hips...my knees.. all of it. I should be rep'n 315 for 20 on front squats if i could get the bar to stay! i'm going to get me a harness and it'll be all over.

nice benching btw damn!

why aren't you pushign 4plates on hte bench yet?  ???

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1122 on: May 30, 2008, 02:02:35 PM »
why aren't you pushign 4plates on hte bench yet?  ???

fuck if i know. i can't seem to hit my groove on the first rep so i'm always out of whack. hopefully in the next few weeks we'll get moving better.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1123 on: June 02, 2008, 02:29:20 PM »
fuck if i know. i can't seem to hit my groove on the first rep so i'm always out of whack. hopefully in the next few weeks we'll get moving better.

learning that groove is key man trust me i know what you mean.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1124 on: June 02, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
past two days worth of work...

DE upper body 

bench
barx20x2

added monster minis
135x3x9...with different grips every 3 sets

2brd presses

315x3x1
365x3x1
405x1x2  MAD!!!  >:(struggled with both of them... so i dropped the weight down and went at it!
365x6x1  new pr..and smoked them all and didn't give up on the last rep when it was looking like i was going to miss it. Getting my mental shit together baby!

close grip pull downs

5 sets pyramiding up to the whole stack

lateral raises
35x6x1
45x6x1
55x6x1
65x6x1

h-rolls  3 sets of 12 with 30's

not bad...

ME lower body

reverse band pulls

135x10x1
315x3x1
500x3x1
585x1x1
added mini bands instead of blue bands like most people...
675x1x1 smoked
765xmissed at the knees
725xmissed at the knees again...

...come to find out the mini's only picked up 50 off the bottom and gave out a foot off the floor. Felt good to hold something heavy again

good mornings

135x8x1
315x8x1
500x4x1  should've kept going..

hamstring curls

5sets of 20 pyramiding up

hammer curls

40x5x1
50x5x1
60x5x1
70x5x1
80x5x1