Author Topic: The WICKED truth about my training  (Read 368429 times)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: The WICKED truth about my training
« Reply #1225 on: July 27, 2008, 06:17:49 AM »
friday's work..

banded front squats

You just gave me a "wicked" idea!

Thanks

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1226 on: July 28, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »
they're DAMN fun and force you to really keep tight which moving FAST! nice exercise for sure!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1227 on: July 28, 2008, 08:43:32 AM »
y'know, i should start using bands. this log keeps reminding me that being a raw lifter is no excuse.  >:(

um yeah pretty much.. not having my mini bands since some asshole ganked them at work i feel is setting me back too... bands have really helped push my workouts to a new level. Which sucks when you don't have them lol.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1228 on: July 28, 2008, 08:51:11 AM »
going back to juggling weights on my DE day with no heavy shit.. it's overloading me already.

yesterday's work was proof of that..

DE bench for triples

barx20x1
135x3x1
225x3x1
315x3x1
365x2x1 elbow started hurting again from last week...

floor tricep extensions like on the westside dvd.. hard to get coordinated to do it haha

20x10x1
40x10x1
60x10x1

press downs

whole stackx12x1, 10 reps, 10reps

b/w pull ups

10reps, 5reps, 7 reps...getting better!

lat pulldowns

pyramided up 3 sets

side laterals hurt my elbow so I did face pulls

pyramided up to an easy final set of 10 reps with 160

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #1229 on: July 28, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »
going back to juggling weights on my DE day with no heavy shit.. it's overloading me already.

yesterday's work was proof of that..

DE bench for triples

barx20x1
135x3x1
225x3x1
315x3x1
365x2x1 elbow started hurting again from last week...

floor tricep extensions like on the westside dvd.. hard to get coordinated to do it haha

20x10x1
40x10x1
60x10x1

Good stuff here, those extensions work very well.

Layoff the boards a few weeks and hit some full ROM presses with bands.

Someone stole your bands? what a girl. you should wrap the bands around his neck and hang him from the ceiling...lol

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1230 on: July 29, 2008, 09:38:35 AM »
Good stuff here, those extensions work very well.

Layoff the boards a few weeks and hit some full ROM presses with bands.

Someone stole your bands? what a ####. you should wrap the bands around his neck and hang him from the ceiling...lol

8)

LOL there's an idea!

yesterdays ME lower body!

revelations:  I've discovered my weakest point in my deadlift and have decided to start doing my rack pulls from there.

rack pulls with fat bar

135x3x1
315x3x1
500x3x1
585x1x1
675x1x1...it's good to be alive again! WITH THE FAT BAR!
710 missed...again this was at my weakest point..got it moving but it stalled!

front squats on a parallel box

barx20x1
135x8x1
225x8x1
315x8x1
365x2x4 NO WRAPS OR BELT AND ALL WERE PAUSED ON THE BOX! Getting stronger or confident in this exercise..probably both. I had 30 seconds rest between the 365 doubles. I wanted to get used to supporting and walking out heavier weight when I max it next week.

hamstring curls

3 sets pyramiding up supersetted with 20 rep blue band goodmornings

some shrugs and hammers

good lowerbody day for sure!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #1231 on: July 29, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »
Damn good numbers Wicked!

Keep killing the weights!

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1232 on: July 29, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »
Damn good numbers Wicked!

Keep killing the weights!

8)

this is a huge confidence booster going into the meet in september.. I know I've got about a month. I'm already starting the dieting process to get it started easily and not to drop some weight. I'm chomping at the bit to come home with a record this time. I have my eyes on a few. My plan is to open with a weight that will break it and then keep going up and up to set it as high as I can. 675 from about 4" off the floor coming up with a minimal amount of effort made me feel really good since lately i've been struggling with deadlifting. I'm going to keep hammering the accessory work in hopes it'll all come together for another big day at the meetage!  ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1233 on: July 30, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »
ME upper body... before the break...

Reverse band bench

barx20x1
135x3x1
225x3x1
315x3x1
365x1x3...wanted to groove these slowly and work on exploding up. This speed thing is killing me and I need to learn to control it more. These three were VERY easy singles when I made sure I grooved them right. Go figure.
added reverse bands
405x1x1
455xmiss...
455x1x1 rallied the troops and ground it out! I grooved this one PERFECT and up it went! Turns out when I measured out the bands. Each side took off 25lbs and went slack at 4" off my chest.. so 405 at the bottom then 4" later every bit of 455 HAHAH! WOOOOOOOOOOO! THAT'S A PR BABY!

c/s rows

2platesx10x1
4platesx10x1
5platesx10x1 PR!
5platesx6x1

wide grip chins

bwx12x1 PR!
bwx9x1
bwx6x1

laying dumbbell extensions

30x10x1
40x10x1
50x10x1
60x10x1

seated smith shoulder presses

135x10x1
185x10x1
225x6x1 WEAK!

h-rolls

25x20x3

today was  a bang up day... alot of pr's.. a big boost in confidence and in comfort in alot of exercises.. and I got back on ALN's ETS after not using it for a week. Just once week and the soreness was kicking my ass. Went back to using it and two days later no more soreness and I took it after mondays' workout! Stuff works.. and damn I'm glad too! HA! Throwing in another meal replacement shake into the mix during the day has really helped me feel physically better. Dropping maximus between meals lately when I'm running low on energy is paying dividends. LOVE IT! I'm taking a week off from benching though.. just to let my body re-wire itself.. because sitting here typing this I know I need it.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #1234 on: August 01, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »
hahaha, nice work on them pullups!

man, i need to rip my bands out again. if i can find them...  :-\

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1235 on: August 01, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »
dude i weight 253lbs at the moment cause I've been eating my face off.. screw you and your sarcastic chin comment!  ;D ;D  LMFAO.. seriously though.. the more I do them the more I like them!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1236 on: August 01, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »
DE lower body...

front squats on a VERY low box

barx10x1
135x8x1
225x8x1
315x8x1  need to not front squat so much...was going ot try 315 for 20 in memory of jesse marunde but I forgot the camera

speed deads

135x3x1
added single blue band..so whatever a blue band is at the top after being stretched through 7' fo platform.
135x1x1
225x1x1
315x1x8 and played around with my setup. I did 10 second rests between sets.

banded good mornings

barx10x1
135x10x1
225x10x1
315x2x5 FAST doubles! first time ever doing them and loved them..

here are some vids of the pulls. I'm working on my form on these days.. the first vid is of me trying to lean back with the second one being my usual setup. I realized that yes.. I'm VERY stiff leg'd.

trying to lean back..

and the usual..

so which is better? and what do I need to work on? 

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1237 on: August 01, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
how low is the very low box? i use one that's about 12 inches at my gym and that seems fairly low.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1238 on: August 01, 2008, 08:02:51 PM »
how low is the very low box? i use one that's about 12 inches at my gym and that seems fairly low.

ours is 12" too.. I'm cycling the boxes every couple weeks to get build up my lower power to make the parallel stuff easier. Here's hoping it works.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1239 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »
ours is 12" too.. I'm cycling the boxes every couple weeks to get build up my lower power to make the parallel stuff easier. Here's hoping it works.
damn that seems rough front squatting onto a box that low, how do you keep the bar racked on your shoulders while hitting it and then coming back up for that many reps? i'll tell you this low box squats are a phenomenal movement for boosting the deadlift.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1240 on: August 01, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
damn that seems rough front squatting onto a box that low, how do you keep the bar racked on your shoulders while hitting it and then coming back up for that many reps? i'll tell you this low box squats are a phenomenal movement for boosting the deadlift.

it's not easy and yeah i was told the same thing. I really force my elbows up high at the bottom.. i've also got what i'd consider a THINNER bar though it's still 45lbs so it bites in deeper into my shoulder groove. I don't touch and go anymore. I feel that's actually HARDER! I sit down, stay tight and let the box take some of hte weight, then drive back up while pushing my knees apart and imagining i'm spreading the floor with my feet..this seems to be helping my hips "pop" me up out of the bottom. Something I'm having to FORCE myself to learn.

and yes.. being 6' tall.. sitting on a 12" box is WAY the fuck down there. I'm thinking of doing zerchers since I'm told they're great too but DEATHLY afraid of bicep tears.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1241 on: August 01, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »
it's not easy and yeah i was told the same thing. I really force my elbows up high at the bottom.. i've also got what i'd consider a THINNER bar though it's still 45lbs so it bites in deeper into my shoulder groove. I don't touch and go anymore. I feel that's actually HARDER! I sit down, stay tight and let the box take some of hte weight, then drive back up while pushing my knees apart and imagining i'm spreading the floor with my feet..this seems to be helping my hips "pop" me up out of the bottom. Something I'm having to FORCE myself to learn.

and yes.. being 6' tall.. sitting on a 12" box is WAY the fuck down there. I'm thinking of doing zerchers since I'm told they're great too but DEATHLY afraid of bicep tears.
nah you'll be allright with the Zerchers, wrap your arms with towels and you'll be fine, phenomenal deadlift and abdominal strengthener and all around back strength builder, one of the exercises Louie Simmons recommends for building the low back and deadlift, try to work up to being able to do them off the floor.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1242 on: August 01, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
nah you'll be allright with the Zerchers, wrap your arms with towels and you'll be fine, phenomenal deadlift and abdominal strengthener and all around back strength builder, one of the exercises Louie Simmons recommends for building the low back and deadlift, try to work up to being able to do them off the floor.

i'll start giving them a go.. i heard the same about louie which is what gave me the idea.. 700 off the floor is a monkey off my back I want to gut with my bar hands. it's liek pushing 405 for the first time..once you nail it it's easy.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1243 on: August 01, 2008, 08:19:10 PM »
loved what he said about rack pulls "teaching you to strain" which is exactly what they do but i'd never thought about it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #1244 on: August 02, 2008, 06:52:11 AM »
I'm thinking of doing zerchers since I'm told they're great too but DEATHLY afraid of bicep tears.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1245 on: August 04, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »
ME lower body..

only had a 30 minute break to do work.. so I did ME zerchers to try something new to hopefully help my deadlift.

Zerchers from the floor!

barx10x1
135x3x1
225x3x1
275x3x1
315x1x1
365x1x1 PR!

never done them before so it's a PR and doing them off the floor sucked ass.. so i'm going to load them into a power rack and get them closer to my COG because off the floor was brutal.

Will make up more time for this tomorrow.... For my first time doing zercher's I hope that's a good number considering.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1246 on: August 04, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »
ME lower body..

only had a 30 minute break to do work.. so I did ME zerchers to try something new to hopefully help my deadlift.

Zerchers from the floor!

barx10x1
135x3x1
225x3x1
275x3x1
315x1x1
365x1x1 PR!

never done them before so it's a PR and doing them off the floor sucked ass.. so i'm going to load them into a power rack and get them closer to my COG because off the floor was brutal.

Will make up more time for this tomorrow.... For my first time doing zercher's I hope that's a good number considering.

Not a chance at that.  Youre a pussy.  And probably gay for being flexible enough to get down to a bar on the floor and hook your damn arms under it.  hahahahahahaha

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1247 on: August 04, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
If youre having trouble with pain, simply use a 2x6 inder the bar, along your forearm.  works WONDERFULLY!  Nice PR there too

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1248 on: August 05, 2008, 09:38:52 AM »
Not a chance at that.  Youre a pussy.  And probably gay for being flexible enough to get down to a bar on the floor and hook your damn arms under it.  hahahahahahaha

Jason

lol don't hate because you can't get that big ass down there enough to do some real work from teh floor clown! and yeah i'm thinking about trying different bars to see how they feel. So far my arms feel good. It makes me wonder where my weak points are if i'm having a problem going really heavy with these squats. I like them though!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #1249 on: August 05, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »
how the HELL are you getting on the floor?? i can't even come CLOSE to that.  :o