Author Topic: The WICKED truth about my training  (Read 368410 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: The WICKED truth about my training
« Reply #1250 on: August 05, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »
how the HELL are you getting on the floor?? i can't even come CLOSE to that.  :o

it was ugly..i did alot of worming.. I can get my butt to touch my heels when I do power cleans so I started there..rolledit up close and hooked my arms up under it with a towel. As I started to stand up I let it roll down into the crook of my arms and brought it in close to my body which took a few inches to get started. I had to do this with a wider stance to be able to get my arms and upper body between my knees lol. I don't think i'll be doing it today.. my lower back feels it for sure but in a good way.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #1251 on: August 05, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
Wicked,

I've never said this before, but i stand by it 100%, you have to be one of the overall most impressive lifters i've seen. you just don't give up, you just keep trucking along and that is the hardest part of power lifting...just keep grinding that axe, your time will come.

those Zerchers are damn near insane...my arms hurt just thinking about it!

I'll give you a call soon man, i've been so busy i haven't even been able to go to the gym... :-\

You doing the Europa show in Hurst? i just got my form in the mail, but i haven't decided if a want to drive all the way up there and my training has been shit the last 2 weeks.

8)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1252 on: August 05, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
don't move to the rack, worst mistake you could make, if you're flexible enough to do them from the floor do them that way, i remember Louie saying in his article that you should slowly work up to doing them off the floor.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #1253 on: August 05, 2008, 07:57:53 PM »
that's pretty sick mang. my best zercher is 405 and that's from knee height. i simply cannot fathom working from the floor.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1254 on: August 07, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »
Wicked,

I've never said this before, but i stand by it 100%, you have to be one of the overall most impressive lifters i've seen. you just don't give up, you just keep trucking along and that is the hardest part of power lifting...just keep grinding that axe, your time will come.

those Zerchers are damn near insane...my arms hurt just thinking about it!

I'll give you a call soon man, i've been so busy i haven't even been able to go to the gym... :-\

You doing the Europa show in Hurst? i just got my form in the mail, but i haven't decided if a want to drive all the way up there and my training has been shit the last 2 weeks.

8)

nah man.. i'm not planning on the europa cept maybe attending it to watch. I'm hoping to catch a meet in october due to this last scheduling mix up. It's a long drive if you're not feeling up to it HAHA! but then again it is the europa! thanks for the compliments. I keep busting my ass in hopes it'll pay off one day. I keep looking back from years ago wondering where id be if i pulled my head out of my ass and really took training as seriously as i do now and looked at it the way i do now. I used to ego lift but now i'm picking apart my lifts to find weak points to BUILD those up instead of just staying the same way. IF you're not constantly trying to improve, you've already set the bar for yourself.  That axe might eventually turn into a damn hatchet with all this grinding but i'll put steel to stone every damn day I can.

just hit me up whenever man..pm me your number though..if i don't recognize it i'll never answer and i never check my messages lol.

going to interview at the dynamic barbell club here in ft. worth to see if i can be one fo the private "in" crowd who get to train there. I need a better gym..this corporate gym shit isn't cutting it.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1255 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
don't move to the rack, worst mistake you could make, if you're flexible enough to do them from the floor do them that way, i remember Louie saying in his article that you should slowly work up to doing them off the floor.

i was thinking maybe making it into two "mini maxes"  one from teh floor and one from knee height.. like they do with squats changing box height to rotate them around. I don't think I have the power deep enough to ever come close to magoo's 405 even at knee height. That being said.. what would my weak points be if that were the case?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1256 on: August 07, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »
mondays' shenanigans

power squat (hams to calves since my hams are getting bigger that they touch before my ass down. I have never squatted this deep as I did today on ANYTHING. I was VERY careful and very wary when doing them for fear of getting too deep and getting hurt so I worked up slowly. I'm VERY impressed.. worst part.. only my ass is sore from squatting like this..meaning my glutes are weak!  Kid you not my butt was so deep my partner said it looked as if my but was sitting on the bottom of the powersquat platform!!!)

2platesx10x1
8platesx10x1
14platesx10x1
18platesx10x1 with knee wraps for safety
20plates for 5 sets of doubles

today I really focused on spreading my knees and spreading the floor with my feet on the way up! The power squat allowed me to be able to focus on this even with heavy weight. I noticed I had more pop out of the hole doing this! GO FIGURE!  Normally i'd sit BACK on the powersquat to really build up my hips. Today i just squatted as deep as I could go to hopefully help me get used to this position and help my pulling out. To me squatting has one purpose.. to help my pull.

standing abs

3 sets of 20

hamstring curls with 3 second static holds

3 sets of 10 pyramiding up supersetted with 3 sets of banded good mornings with a blue band for 20 reps

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1257 on: August 07, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
i was thinking maybe making it into two "mini maxes"  one from teh floor and one from knee height.. like they do with squats changing box height to rotate them around. I don't think I have the power deep enough to ever come close to magoo's 405 even at knee height. That being said.. what would my weak points be if that were the case?
Zerchers are mostly abs, low back and hips so it might be one of those groups, i seriously doubt that 405 would be a problem for you if you did them from the rack.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1258 on: August 07, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »
Zerchers are mostly abs, low back and hips so it might be one of those groups, i seriously doubt that 405 would be a problem for you if you did them from the rack.

it would be more of a mental thing.. i constantly hurt my elbows/biceps from traditional squatting and bombing them going super heavy of late and a week or so ago helping spot a guy out of the hole, again, hurting my arm so that's always in my mind. I bet if i just let go, got in it, and yanked it it will be no problem. You see where i'm coming from on the mini max idea though?

as far as the implement of zercher's... on ALN's dvd promotion, the westside deadlift secrets dvd said a guy in the 165's pulled 660 after having done 365 6 times from the floor with zerchers and stated it's outstanding for deads just like jason pegg did.. which is why i'm doing them! I'll be doing them lighter tomorrow for reps after speed pulls. I wear my APT double ply elbow sleeves for padding and also use a towel aroudn the bar..seems to be working in that i didn't feel much nor was I sore after.

seeing me cuddle 405lbs worth of iron in my arms would be rather funny to see.. haha i'll have to try it next time it comes around for maxing!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1259 on: August 07, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »

it would be more of a mental thing.. i constantly hurt my elbows/biceps from traditional squatting and bombing them going super heavy of late and a week or so ago helping spot a guy out of the hole, again, hurting my arm so that's always in my mind. I bet if i just let go, got in it, and yanked it it will be no problem. You see where i'm coming from on the mini max idea though?

as far as the implement of zercher's... on ALN's dvd promotion, the westside deadlift secrets dvd said a guy in the 165's pulled 660 after having done 365 6 times from the floor with zerchers and stated it's outstanding for deads just like jason pegg did.. which is why i'm doing them! I'll be doing them lighter tomorrow for reps after speed pulls. I wear my APT double ply elbow sleeves for padding and also use a towel aroudn the bar..seems to be working in that i didn't feel much nor was I sore after.

seeing me cuddle 405lbs worth of iron in my arms would be rather funny to see.. haha i'll have to try it next time it comes around for maxing!
Zerchers are the secret part of almost every good strongman's training program, it's very unusual to see a pro strongman who doesn't do zerchers to improve their stone lifting and deadlifting in general.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1260 on: August 07, 2008, 01:02:48 PM »
Zerchers are the secret part of almost every good strongman's training program, it's very unusual to see a pro strongman who doesn't do zerchers to improve their stone lifting and deadlifting in general.

WHAT I DO think is funny *oops on the caps* was that i see everyone walking them out and starting like a regular squat. I started mine from the floor in the idea that if i did it from teh concentric start, like you do the deadlift, you'd get more out of it. I'm always thinking of things as to HOW they can better benefit something from the greatest extent. Does that makes sense why i said I started from the floor? 

I'm already chomping at the bit to do these tomorrow.. the new gym i'm going to check out manana tiene glute hams, reverse hypers, etc. OH MAN!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1261 on: August 07, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
WHAT I DO think is funny *oops on the caps* was that i see everyone walking them out and starting like a regular squat. I started mine from the floor in the idea that if i did it from teh concentric start, like you do the deadlift, you'd get more out of it. I'm always thinking of things as to HOW they can better benefit something from the greatest extent. Does that makes sense why i said I started from the floor? 

I'm already chomping at the bit to do these tomorrow.. the new gym i'm going to check out manana tiene glute hams, reverse hypers, etc. OH MAN!
yes absolutley, it makes perfect sense to start them from the floor and that's what Simmons said in that article i was talking about, he said the goal is to work up to doing them from the floor, so by all means keep doing them off the floor and if you want to add some from the rack do that too.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1262 on: August 07, 2008, 01:51:04 PM »

i always used them as kind of a front squat variant. no way in HELL i'mma make it down to the floor. i've tried before and it just ain't happening.  :-\

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1263 on: August 07, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »
i always used them as kind of a front squat variant. no way in HELL i'mma make it down to the floor. i've tried before and it just ain't happening.  :-\

why not just start from teh floor and do them concentrically? i'm doing them that way solely for deadlifts.. it's hard as hell...makes me wonder what i'd get if i started them from up high!  :o

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1264 on: August 07, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »
why not just start from teh floor and do them concentrically? i'm doing them that way solely for deadlifts.. it's hard as hell...makes me wonder what i'd get if i started them from up high!  :o

haha, because i can't get my elbows under the bar! i should record a video of me trying to get the bar. it's just sad. my torso is pretty long, so even if i squat the whole way down, it doesn't quite work. i'll keep going for it once in a while, but i doubt i'll be coming CLOSE to the weights you use. :P

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1265 on: August 07, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »
haha, because i can't get my elbows under the bar! i should record a video of me trying to get the bar. it's just sad. my torso is pretty long, so even if i squat the whole way down, it doesn't quite work. i'll keep going for it once in a while, but i doubt i'll be coming CLOSE to the weights you use. :P

why not do them from the bottom of the rack then? or adjust it so you can start from the bottom? LOL think outside the box son!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1266 on: August 07, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »
why not do them from the bottom of the rack then? or adjust it so you can start from the bottom? LOL think outside the box son!

dude there's no way i'm doing zerchers off a box.  >:(

;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1267 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »
dude there's no way i'm doing zerchers off a box.  >:(

;D

lmfao..

and there's no way i'll ever fit in a size 34 jeans either HAHA!

i'm going to do banded zerchers tomorrow for my DE squats HAHA! oh lord

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #1268 on: August 07, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »
i'm going to do banded zerchers tomorrow for my DE squats HAHA! oh lord

You are a glutten for punishment aren't you!!!

You fuckers a making me want to go full blown westside again! >:(

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1269 on: August 07, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »
You are a glutten for punishment aren't you!!!

You fuckers a making me want to go full blown westside again! >:(

8)

you make it sound like you have to do full blown westside to take some shit! HAHA you can do this on routine leg day.. WELCOME TO THE PAIN BABY!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1270 on: August 07, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »
i don't do anything CLOSE to westside and i'm bring bands and boxes back into the fold. honestly i don't like WSB, but i do like the goofy-ass exercises! ;D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #1271 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
i don't do anything CLOSE to westside and i'm bring bands and boxes back into the fold. honestly i don't like WSB, but i do like the goofy-ass exercises! ;D

There are a few things i don't agree with, but Louie is pretty accurate for the most part.

i don't like how he changes exercise up week to week, i like to keep things the same for 2-3 weeks at least before i rotate.

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1272 on: August 07, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »
There are a few things i don't agree with, but Louie is pretty accurate for the most part.

i don't like how he changes exercise up week to week, i like to keep things the same for 2-3 weeks at least before i rotate.

8)

i'm thinking about seriously following something like that..

say go for 3 weeks on the same exercise...  week one for a max set of 5, week two for a max triple, then week three a max single then rotate exercises. One of my clients i've trained specifically this way and his bench has gone up from 175 to 245 in a matter of two months and his deadlift has gone from a max single of 275 from a month ago to pulling 305 yesterday.. pretty damn sick!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1273 on: August 10, 2008, 10:00:12 AM »
DE lower body

zercher squats from the floor

barx6x1
135x6x1
225x6x2  effortless

speed deads

135x3x1
added monster minis
135x1x1
225x1x1
315x1x10...i need to start pulling with 350 or 400.  These were a joke. I did half sitting deep and half my usual way and the speed is again.. half of what my usual is. I think I'm going to start doing plyometric squats from the depth that I typically start my pull from to really get used to RAMPING the hell out of hte floor.

thoughts on this idea?!?!

REVERSE HYPER!!!!!

45X10X1
90X10X1
135X10X1  MY NEW GYM IS BADASS! REVERSE HYPER... AND...

REAL GLUTE HAM RAISE STATION!!!

STRAIGHT SET OF 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm goingto start doing these with bands, weight vests, or chains.

some bicep and standing ab crap

LOVE IT! I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #1274 on: August 10, 2008, 11:08:57 AM »
Your gym aint got shit on 24 Hour Fitness! Does your gym have 200 different machines with universal weights??? Didnt think so! 8)