Author Topic: The WICKED truth about my training  (Read 368414 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: The WICKED truth about my training
« Reply #1475 on: November 24, 2008, 10:06:40 AM »
DE upper body

warmed up with the tornado ball for a few minutes

bench

barx20x1
135x10x1
205x3x1
added bands went back to bands after last week since it IS band rotation month..
205x3x3 juggling grips

2 brd

225x4x1
315x4x1
365x4x1 getting better!

225x20x1 cool down

tricep pressdowns 6 reps with 4 different grips per set ... the idea behind this is to stimulate all heads, including the aconeous, from all different angles for total development.

3 sets of 24 reps

front raises  same concept as the pressdowns. My front delts are SHIT compared to my side delts and I know if I bring them up, some shoulder problems should go away and my bench will be stronger all around. I used the neutral grip and switched to the pronated grip throughout each set for sets of 6. I didn't use an underhanded grip raises because it kills my shoulders.

3 sets of 12 up to 55lbs

no back work today... it's sore as piss from saturday's workout.... i'll sneak it in tomorrow.

and after a layoff from not messing with my grippers. I just happened to pick up my COC #3 gripper after struggling to close it for one rep awhile back.. to getting 6 straight reps with my right and 3 with my left. Pulling and farmers are helping tons! I know it's more farmers than anything!  8)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1476 on: November 24, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
Good shit man.  Question for you: do you use the farmer's walks as GPP or for grip improvement?  I don't have access to a sled or wheelbarrow but figure hauling some dumbbells for a few laps around the gym might suffice.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1477 on: November 24, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »
Good shit man.  Question for you: do you use the farmer's walks as GPP or for grip improvement?  I don't have access to a sled or wheelbarrow but figure hauling some dumbbells for a few laps around the gym might suffice.

gpp...grip is secondary.. I started out with heavy dumbbells so it's a good start! I used to walk up and down the two flights of stairs at the gym strapped into the 125's and it was BRUTAL!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #1478 on: November 25, 2008, 07:18:33 AM »
Farmer's walks and shrugs without straps will make your hands into granite.

Basically just ditching straps from any routine will make your hands strong as fuck.

I remember doing farmer's walks and not being able to fully open my hands for a few hours...lol

Grip is something i never had issues with.

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1479 on: November 25, 2008, 08:05:40 AM »
Farmer's walks and shrugs without straps will make your hands into granite.

Basically just ditching straps from any routine will make your hands strong as fuck.

I remember doing farmer's walks and not being able to fully open my hands for a few hours...lol

Grip is something i never had issues with.

8)

yep! Any farmers handles over 250 form my hands into "claws" for awhile HAHA

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1480 on: November 29, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »
kinda a fucked day.. holiday week throwing my training and eating plans, etc. out the window.

PUSH/PULL

reverse band deads

135x10x1
315x3x1
500x3x1
added bands
585x3x1
675xmissed... I was supposed to do 655 but i couldn't fit a color on the barbell with the thick ass plastic coated plates the gym I was at had. I felt my hamstring tighten up on the right side and immediately put the bar down. So much for pulling...

Bench

barx20x2
135x20x1
225x5x1
315x5x6 

Just grooving along with the bench like this for awhile until on my deload weeks. Nothing too heavy, just getting my chest ahead in the pressing...

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1481 on: December 02, 2008, 12:43:31 PM »
total body/GPP since I didn't get any work in yesterday or accessory on saturday and today is accessory leg work as well, I just threw it all together...

push press

135x10x1
185x10x1
225x10x1 PR?!  unsure..but was the easiest it's been since I can remember!

power cleans

135x10x1
225x10x1 PR!

50kg kb clean and press (yes my gym has one!)

2 sets of 6 per side

GHRs to FAILURE

GRIP WORK!!!!

pinch grip 2 35's smooth side out for 5 reps each hand

20 reps with the 250lb gripper on the right and 16 reps on the left

3 reps with the 300lb gripper on the righ and 1 on the left.

workout took about 30 minutes.. all sets had 30 seconds between each other and 1 minute rest then setup of the next implement... good workout and good cardio. Trying to work on my recovery as well...I didn't get a chance to have my ALN results before my workout along with my maximus... all I had was breakfast and it showed. Everything felt heavy and slow where usually most things sub 315 feel pretty damn easy. I'm going to start keeping a few empty water screw top water bottles in the truck just incase to just fill with water from the fountain in the gym.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1482 on: December 02, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
damn good pinch grip strength man, not starting trouble but do you have a clip of that, that would be cool to see, i know you probably have the grip for it after seeing the picture of you suitcase deadlifting the 275.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1483 on: December 02, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
damn good pinch grip strength man, not starting trouble but do you have a clip of that, that would be cool to see, i know you probably have the grip for it after seeing the picture of you suitcase deadlifting the 275.

oh i have no problem doing that.. tomorrow and post it. I tried to do a pair of 45's but I think there's something to do with getting them setup PERFECTLY to do it.

I tried doing 4-6 dimes together and they just blow out of the bottom..  :-\

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1484 on: December 02, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
oh i have no problem doing that.. tomorrow and post it. I tried to do a pair of 45's but I think there's something to do with getting them setup PERFECTLY to do it.

I tried doing 4-6 dimes together and they just blow out of the bottom..  :-\
you doing them with two fingers and your thumb or all four fingers plus your thumb?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1485 on: December 02, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
you doing them with two fingers and your thumb or all four fingers plus your thumb?

i did it with the whole hand...I didn't think to try it with just two and my thumb. All the videos I watched of people trying it were done with the whole hand and the grip comp i plan on entering in january says you can use it with the whole hand.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1486 on: December 02, 2008, 01:07:42 PM »
i did it with the whole hand...I didn't think to try it with just two and my thumb. All the videos I watched of people trying it were done with the whole hand and the grip comp i plan on entering in january says you can use it with the whole hand.
yeah the reason i asked is because i remember seeing some of the grip legends like John Brookfield, Richard Sorin, Joe Kinney, etc. using their thumb and first two fingres on the 45's smooth side out, 35's with the whole hand is still EXTREMELY impressive.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1487 on: December 02, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »
yeah the reason i asked is because i remember seeing some of the grip legends like John Brookfield, Richard Sorin, Joe Kinney, etc. using their thumb and first two fingres on the 45's smooth side out, 35's with the whole hand is still EXTREMELY impressive.

I realized today that there's a sledgehammer exercises where you try and tap your nose with a sledge with one hand and bring it back up to the start position.. we used to do that screwing around with 10 and 15lb sledge hammers when I'd work on crews during the summer part time.  I wonder if I could do a 20 and not take myself to beauty school lol

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1488 on: December 03, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »
did some pinch gripping today with a video...

It's of 2 smooth 35's with my whole hand and then just three fingers with my right.. and I also did the same with my left. Right after I pinched 4 dimes effortlessly..but still have trouble stamping 5.  Grip work is a blast. Video delivered.
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=47653689

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #1489 on: December 04, 2008, 07:07:04 AM »
good stuff man, also looking at your pic collection it looks like you and me have the same taste in women, nice and thick. :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1490 on: December 04, 2008, 07:35:40 AM »
good stuff man, also looking at your pic collection it looks like you and me have the same taste in women, nice and thick. :D
hahahaha...you think so?!   ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1491 on: December 04, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »
ME Bench day

banded bench

barx20x1
135x10x1
225x3x1
275x3x1
315x3x1
added monster minis (same setup as last week)  20lbs at the bottom and 40lbs at the top!!!
315x3x1 PR
340x3x1 PR and goal met!
365x1x3
I tried to go for a big banded triple with 365 but miss grooved the second rep on the first set so I did 3 big singles with the last one being outstanding. Seems like the bench is coming back! I'm going to do another full rotation before maxing out for a single again in the bench. Accessory work to follow.. my back is still screaming from all the work the other day so I will pick that up this weekend on  GPP day. I did a little grip work though..

kettle bell pick ups (by the round ball...)

8kg x5 per hand
10kg x5 per hand
16kg x5 per hand
20kg x 1 per right hand and missed with the left...

The 20kg kb is HARD! I tried pinching 3 25's and the middle plate slipping out on both hands a few inches off the floor.. so it's still in the works.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1492 on: December 04, 2008, 01:13:51 PM »
ME Bench day

banded bench

barx20x1
135x10x1
225x3x1
275x3x1
315x3x1
added monster minis (same setup as last week)  20lbs at the bottom and 40lbs at the top!!!
315x3x1 PR
340x3x1 PR and goal met!
365x1x3
I tried to go for a big banded triple with 365 but miss grooved the second rep on the first set so I did 3 big singles with the last one being outstanding. Seems like the bench is coming back! I'm going to do another full rotation before maxing out for a single again in the bench. Accessory work to follow.. my back is still screaming from all the work the other day so I will pick that up this weekend on  GPP day. I did a little grip work though..

kettle bell pick ups (by the round ball...)

8kg x5 per hand
10kg x5 per hand
16kg x5 per hand
20kg x 1 per right hand and missed with the left...

The 20kg kb is HARD! I tried pinching 3 25's and the middle plate slipping out on both hands a few inches off the floor.. so it's still in the works.

Its because youre a pussy. Thats what I figure anyway!

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1493 on: December 06, 2008, 02:24:04 PM »
Its because youre a pussy. Thats what I figure anyway!

Jason

bitch

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1494 on: December 06, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »
GPP!

farmer's walks

naked handles for 400'
155lb handles for 100'
245lb handles for 100'
350lb handles for 60'

350lb farmer's handle static hold for 30 seconds.. could've gone longer but I lost feeling in my left hand.

HUGE PR!! I've been thinking about these all week leading up today. I was on a whole other planet right before the lift to the point I felt almost high I was so amp'd. I'm not sure if that describes it right..but i get to the point of insanity building up to a big lift. I guess you either understand where I'm coming from or you don't. Oh yeah...

I've got pics and video!  ;D I remember having the first farmer's convo with dave last winter thinking 200lb handles were hard... 350 is an awakening!

sled drags

3 plates for 400'
5 plates for 200'
7 plates for 2 200' trips

high pulls

70kilos x 10
120x kilos x 10

dimmel deads for time under tension

3 sets of 120 kilos for 1 minute a set... 30 seconds rest in between.

I'll post pics and vids after I get them off the camera. 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1495 on: December 08, 2008, 11:24:35 AM »
DE bench work

50% of 1rm straight weight rotation

barx20x1
135x20x1
205x3x9 juggling grips (close, wide, and comp grip)

2 brd

315x3x3 juggling grips (close, wide, and comp grip)
365x3x3 juggling grips HUGE PR!!!

the grip changes just make sense.. to improve all portions of the press to make sure that if there's the slightest change in my grip width or hand placement on any bar I should be fine. Too, it changes the emphasis on which muscles get more of the load. 3 sets of 3 with 365 a few inches off my chest is a big pr and mental thing for me. I do my floor press rotation again finally next week.. 410-415 will fall.. because I will it so.

front raises

35x10x1
45x10x1
55x10x1
65x10x1

bent over barbell rows

135x10x1
225x10x1
315x10x1

been taking an additional scoop of ALN's results everyday to have it pre loaded and then an hour before a workout..and i'm feeling like a new animal. I don't fatigue as fast, my recovery rate is through the room, and my lifts are explosive as hell lately and the PRs keep coming. Also, last night, I ate like a pig. I had a pizza, two pb and j's, a maximus shake, a chicken caesar salad, and a half gallon of milk. I know I'm a fatass...but I was starving after saturdays work and sore as hell. I wake up today... and nothing. No soreness save in my forearms and feel great. I guess when you're starving, it's your body trying to tell you to eat up I need to recover! Sure enough..

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1496 on: December 09, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »
light lowerbody work

135lbs
6 squats, 6 good mornings, 6 goodmorning/squat combos

10 squats
10 good mornings..

lower back got a little tight on the right side where it's been bugging me.. so I called it a day.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1497 on: December 10, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »
grip work!!!  a few videos I did with the guys from gripboard.com training for the first time for real grip stuff. Apparenlty doing this all at once was crazy.. huge thanks to paul knight from grip board for shooting the vids and showing me the world of grip.

5 dimes pinch.. i'll try for 6 next week and be the 6th man apparenlty int eh world to do it if i make it..

404 on the IM apollos axle.. double overhead grip

50lb blob.. apparently this is a big deal

250ish on the v-bar

these were one lift after another. I can't wait to see what I can do if i focus on one grip item immediately.   I closed the coc#3 choked no problem for reps and closed it when I got there for a couple right off the batt but after all this work.. trying to get a vid was pointless. It didn't happen. I also hub'd a 45lb plate with both hands no problem. My current goals are the 6 dimes pinch and the IM axle DO WR.

enjoy guys.. and check out gripboard.com if you're interested in this stuff some more. VERY fun!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #1498 on: December 10, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »
Sick grip! The blob SUCKS, haha. I closed my HG250 a few times after I found it again but a 300 is out of the question. I tried to pick up an Inch DB too but no chance. Right after that, the guy who owns the 2 Inch DB's picked them up and walked ~60' with them.

Good job on all that.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #1499 on: December 10, 2008, 10:15:03 PM »
Sick grip! The blob SUCKS, haha. I closed my HG250 a few times after I found it again but a 300 is out of the question. I tried to pick up an Inch DB too but no chance. Right after that, the guy who owns the 2 Inch DB's picked them up and walked ~60' with them.

Good job on all that.

yeah man blobs are some shit! i want to pick it up with both hands routinely to feel comfortable with them. I also did I think 185-190 on the rolling thunder right before we left for a few reps each hand. THAT was hard as PISS!