Author Topic: Gym goals  (Read 12025 times)

Simple Simon

Gym goals
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:38:12 AM »
When I pick up a weight my sole intention is to stress the muscle as much as I can with that particular set.
After warming up I then pick a weight I feel comfortable I can get at least 12 reps with.
During the set if 12 is going to be easy I slow down the reps and contract the muscle to try and exhaust it even further.
I really have no goal as far as reps and weight go, I just make every set count.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
Re: Gym goals
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:39:19 AM »
Best "the trainer" impression so far. You could be the next Juruth if you work hard enough at it.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:46:04 AM »
TA-level troll bait. Bravo.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:46:53 AM »
High reps are superior to low reps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 03:47:06 AM »
Maybe this Guy can answer you .. fucking confused himself... ;D

Simple Simon

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 03:47:23 AM »
TA-level troll bait. Bravo.
Nope, its exactly my training philosophy.

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:50:36 AM »
From a bodybuilding point of view hitting a PB on an excercise is likely counter productive.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 03:51:27 AM »
Maybe this Guy can answer you .. fucking confused himself... ;D

Girls and sons who have not been loved by their fathers seek attention once teens and adults to compensate for what they didnt have originally. Fathers either left them alone, or were distant most of the time and not encouraging them. Some even despised them which would shape their personality and the way they d interact with others for the rest of their life.
They are extremistic in everything they do, always looking exageratly for attention, and have troubles adapting to society's rules, because they also have troubles defining their own identity and respecting authority and hierarchy.

Also boys who got picked on by others during childhood and adolescence -often sons without a father figure- try to compensate by lifting weights, to develop muscles and survive in ther male world. They re insecure because they re girly, childish, feminine having been raised by a single mom. They lift obsessively hoping it will transform them into men, to compensate for their lack of influence from a father figure that was not there. Unfortunaltey they can get as big as they can it doesnt cure their insecurity and who they truly are, how they grew up being raised by a single mom. They re no as manly as other men whatever they do, and they often have a big lack of masculine presence they dont know how to balance, hence often being borderline homosexuals while trying to get their manhood back thru various manly activities (mma, cars, weight lifting etc). They are often the ones that, in order to get respect from other males will go the steroids route to get even "bigger" attemptint to cure their insecurity , but being natural not being "enough", they still feel "too small", insecure, amongst other males. The lack of a father figure also often means they didnt have guidance to continue studies and are often working shitty manual jobs.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:06:31 AM »
If I can't make that mind muscle connection during a set, I will simply go home and watch Game of Thrones.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:12:03 AM »

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 04:21:29 AM »

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 04:37:52 AM »
After all these years, I am still a sets -n- reps guy. I have a bodypart goal each day (currently, push/pull/legs) and decide actual exercises at game-time. Mostly about which exercise feels good or if I am working around an injury (pretty much all the time now). I do concentrate on the feel, but I am often overwhelmed by the rep counting cadence in my head.

I need to get over that.

Simple Simon

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 04:39:54 AM »
I never understand why people do 3 sets 12 reps?
What do they think they get out of stopping short on each set?

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 04:44:05 AM »
I never understand why people do 3 sets 12 reps?
What do they think they get out of stopping short on each set?

It is the minimum mentality.

Same reason why people only run 26 miles, 385 yards in a Marathon - why not round it up to 27 you lazy fucking bastards

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 04:44:57 AM »
This matter can't be seriously discussed unless you throw (or not) into the mix high quality supplements such as Plazmosis or SHREDZ products.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 04:52:20 AM »
Any session without getting hit on by a Thai gym fag is a good one for me

the trainer

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 05:52:17 AM »
When I pick up a weight my sole intention is to stress the muscle as much as I can with that particular set.
After warming up I then pick a weight I feel comfortable I can get at least 12 reps with.
During the set if 12 is going to be easy I slow down the reps and contract the muscle to try and exhaust it even further.
I really have no goal as far as reps and weight go, I just make every set count.

If 12 is going to be easy how about increasing the weight you wimpy pansy, if I have insomnia I would watch you workout so I can fall asleep.

Simple Simon

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 05:59:23 AM »
If 12 is going to be easy how about increasing the weight you wimpy pansy, if I have insomnia I would watch you workout so I can fall asleep.

Read what I wrote again numbnuts.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 06:55:53 AM »
Girls and sons who have not been loved by their fathers seek attention once teens and adults to compensate for what they didnt have originally. Fathers either left them alone, or were distant most of the time and not encouraging them. Some even despised them which would shape their personality and the way they d interact with others for the rest of their life.
They are extremistic in everything they do, always looking exageratly for attention, and have troubles adapting to society's rules, because they also have troubles defining their own identity and respecting authority and hierarchy.

Also boys who got picked on by others during childhood and adolescence -often sons without a father figure- try to compensate by lifting weights, to develop muscles and survive in ther male world. They re insecure because they re girly, childish, feminine having been raised by a single mom. They lift obsessively hoping it will transform them into men, to compensate for their lack of influence from a father figure that was not there. Unfortunaltey they can get as big as they can it doesnt cure their insecurity and who they truly are, how they grew up being raised by a single mom. They re no as manly as other men whatever they do, and they often have a big lack of masculine presence they dont know how to balance, hence often being borderline homosexuals while trying to get their manhood back thru various manly activities (mma, cars, weight lifting etc). They are often the ones that, in order to get respect from other males will go the steroids route to get even "bigger" attemptint to cure their insecurity , but being natural not being "enough", they still feel "too small", insecure, amongst other males. The lack of a father figure also often means they didnt have guidance to continue studies and are often working shitty manual jobs.

Spot on this really says it all.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 06:58:48 AM »

nasum

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 07:39:43 AM »
I don't buy into a specific rep range.

I do whatever feels like it is providing adequate muscular tension.

At least for isolation exercises.

Strength training is a different kettle of fish. I deliberately hit 5 reps on deadlift, bench, and squat and progressively increase the weight each workout. Strength increases are predominantly a neuromuscular adaptation, hence lifting to failure is counter productive as it negatively adapts the central nervous system. Interestingly enough, neuromuscular super-compensation occurs when you *do not* lift to failure.

Furthermore, as you push the envelope towards failure, your form inevitably suffers and you risk injury (at least when lifting at more than 80% of a 1 rep max for deadlift and squat).

If you want to get stronger, do not exert yourself :P.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 07:54:03 AM »
I don't buy into a specific rep range.

I do whatever feels like it is providing adequate muscular tension.

At least for isolation exercises.

Strength training is a different kettle of fish. I deliberately hit 5 reps on deadlift, bench, and squat and progressively increase the weight each workout. Strength increases are predominantly a neuromuscular adaptation, hence lifting to failure is counter productive as it negatively adapts the central nervous system. Interestingly enough, neuromuscular super-compensation occurs when you *do not* lift to failure.

Furthermore, as you push the envelope towards failure, your form inevitably suffers and you risk injury (at least when lifting at more than 80% of a 1 rep max for deadlift and squat).

If you want to get stronger, do not exert yourself :P.
I agree with 5 reps, lowest i have went on Deads is 3 reps. You build strength fast with mass. However it´s a rep range for a set period only. Later it is better to use more volume. Alternate simple as that.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »
No one cares about strength anymore. FACT is you need a strength base, a good strong strength base. If you go in with just higher reps, there will little density to the muscle. More on this later. But training for just a "pump" just to contact the muscle is not that effective.

Simple Simon

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 08:59:54 AM »
Just got back from the gym, made the fucking mistake of letting someone join in with me on the back machine before I had vetted him.
I had done 3 warm up sets and was now about to do a set with 120k which I can do around 15 reps with, I take the bars and pulldown the weight and when I did this guy seemed to think I needed it pushing as i was repping, the fucking idiot took all the tension off the weight and I felt like Branch fucking Warren for around 6 reps as the weight was swinging loose.
I put the weight down and moved over to another machine until he had finished.

Im too nice to tell him to fuck off.
He wont be joining in again thats for sure.

Simple Simon

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »
No one cares about strength anymore. FACT is you need a strength base, a good strong strength base. If you go in with just higher reps, there will little density to the muscle. More on this later. But training for just a "pump" just to contact the muscle is not that effective.
Struth, here we go again.