Author Topic: Lee Priest - Why Bodybuilders Stop Training Hard  (Read 5428 times)

milone79

• Getbig IV
Re: Lee Priest:Why Bbers Stop Training Hard
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 04:01:55 AM »
LMAO...back in the 80s if all these idiots taking selfies talking etc etc would be taken outside and belted was exactly right, yup some of us had the walkmans and we’d turn the stereos up loud in the gym BUT we were there too TRAIN and train fucking hard the gym I went too was called the Dungeon, it had steel walls and floors metal mesh across the windows, it leaked and it stank.

But Jesus Christ the few of us that trained there were all there too get bigger, stronger etc..and he’s right about the drugs as well...nobody talked about them back then it was a hush hush subject it was all about establishing a BASE....balls too the walls training...lots of good food...getting the rest needed....and in that order

Nowadays it’s the reverse...DRUGS...Drugs. ..Food...food...Rest...T raining... :-\ :-\ :-\

TRUTH!!!!!!! Generation Nothing makes me sick!!!!!

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 04:18:26 AM »
Ok. And why pros can't put their egos aside (excluding ocasional look at me thread) and post on this site?  ???  ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 01:14:26 PM »

This was a great discussion and I agree with it. If anyone is old enough to remember and/or be there during those times it was pretty much as they described. That was the real bodybuilding culture.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »
that people trained hard back in the day is a myth

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 03:18:33 PM »
that people trained hard back in the day is a myth

Were you there? I trained at the same gyms they did and before

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
I like all the stuff Rx is doing with Lee, Kamali, Milos..it's great content. I'm sure the gyms were more hardcore back in the day, had to be one hell of an environment back in the Golds days.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »
Were you there? I trained at the same gyms they did and before

depends on what you mean by where and when.

in the 80's we had lee haney, there's footage of his training on youtube, he went by the 'stimulate not annihilate'.

in the early 90's we had dorian yates, he trained hard, and the whole purpose of his video was to show that he trained hard, now if everybody was training hard, that video would never have been made.

in the late 90's early 00's we had ronnie coleman, again, whole point of video - showing how hard he trains.

this tells us that training hard was THE EXCEPTION not the rule since the 80's and onwards.

to wonder in 2018 why bodybuilders stopped training hard, something that they havent been doing for at least 30+ years seems quite strange, its not like it''s a new phenomena.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »

depends on what you mean by where and when.

in the 80's we had lee haney, there's footage of his training on youtube, he went by the 'stimulate not annihilate'.

in the early 90's we had dorian yates, he trained hard, and the whole purpose of his video was to show that he trained hard, now if everybody was training hard, that video would never have been made.

in the late 90's early 00's we had ronnie coleman, again, whole point of video - showing how hard he trains.

this tells us that training hard was THE EXCEPTION not the rule since the 80's and onwards.

to wonder in 2018 why bodybuilders stopped training hard, something that they havent been doing for at least 30+ years seems quite strange, its not like it''s a new phenomena.
Ronnie and Dorian trained in a manner that resulted in them getting injured. Haney trained in a manner to get the best results, and he left the game, young with no injuries.
Each training philosophy was different, yet yielded the same results, multiple  Sandows. And each one trained hard, but a different variation of "hard".

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 04:35:40 PM »
“My goal was to always stimulate the muscle. I didn’t want to push it to failure because it increased my chances of injury and I also felt that if I did enough to stimulate the area I was training then I could recover better than if I went to failure. I used methods like the pre-exhuast method of using isolation movements first like leg extensions before doing a compound exercise like squats and that made the workouts more intense for me.” - Lee Haney

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
that people trained hard back in the day is a myth for those who doesn't even know what "training hard" means.

Fixed..

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »
I bet if you ask Coach,he can tell you that no one traind as nearly as hard as we did in the old days.'

No bitterness,just plain old fact.

I got a PM from Aceto who used to train at our gym in Springfield Ma. and he saids todays guys are just complete wusses when it somes to training hard!

so true.

and one thing I notice today as well, that although there are alot of people doing squats and deads, you never see any of these young guys who really challenge themselves and do a heavy high rep set of squats or deadlifts and more

I remember when I was in my first gym in 86 people used to go to positive failure with warm ups and no young guys did a high repe wamr up on bench, squats etc with anything less than a plate lol

I can't do that shit anymore myself but hell it was easy back then, my point is the young guy today train like a bunch of fa gs and most think they are huge on gear at 5'11 and 180 lol, nevermind all these online assholes going on a cocktail of gear to cut up to walk around the arnold or olympia expo

use to be training, food, then for some gear but in an 8-12 week cycle once or twice a year, now it's boatloading underdosed gear, a ton of shit food, and train 45 minutes 4 times a week
"

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 10:47:54 PM »
Training heavy is about perception...people that train heavy have a "thick" look to their muscles
real men= no rubbers

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »
Training heavy is about perception...people that train heavy have a "thick" look to their muscles

Thicker and more dense

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 03:14:24 AM »
Problem with you guys is the fact that your perspective doesn't come from the experience, but from the pictures and the media. What they say in the video is 100% true. I have seen this all happen, even seen the 80'ties top pro bb:ers at the gym and watch how they were training. Today just about no one is training as hard as they did at daily basis. You need an example?

Most of the guys here thinks that is just insane. No it isn't, it is just training as hard as you can. It seem to be insane just because you can't even imagine yourself doing anything as hard as it looks.
Wached the vid before and and this kind of training is very motivating for me.
And i can relate since myself i trained in simillar fashion.
The hardest i trained when i did intansity or insanity from Michalic/ Defendis training.
Today this kind of training is insane becouse it is not fake.
 ;D

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 05:46:26 AM »
Dorian was good because he didn't overtrain and didn't train his ego. He let the body recover, his injuries came during pre contest when he should have just gone a bit lighter but still to failure. As long as you are training the muscle doing heavier weights won't matter.

Ronnie is just stupid.

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »
Dorian was good because he didn't overtrain and didn't train his ego. He let the body recover, his injuries came during pre contest when he should have just gone a bit lighter but still to failure. As long as you are training the muscle doing heavier weights won't matter.

Ronnie is just stupid.
If you train beyond failure with heavier weight. There is a larger possibility of injury with it vs light weight and going beyond failure.
It isnt as obvious as just train light and you will achieve the most from your genetics.
For example Serge Nubret proponent of lighter weight training.
Said that he regreted not lifting heavier in his training.
And that is coming from a guy that was strong from the begining.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2018, 07:57:54 AM »

another myth

up there with the bullshit of 'grainy muscle'

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »
another myth

up there with the bullshit of 'grainy muscle'

people tell me my muscles have a thick look to them. i train really heavy
real men= no rubbers

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »
people tell me my muscles have a thick look to them. i train really heavy

i think we need a few more people in order to make the case

maybe if we can agree on a certain group of athletes as training hard (powerlifters, gymnasts, sprinters, strong men, wrestlers or whatever)

i dont think the hard training-crowd is to be found in bodybuilding, if there is such a group, it is in a professional sport.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:00 AM »
I want one of his trophys

The best BB trophies have  NAC International, NAC's Mr.Universe trophy kills Sandow statue , Nac World trophy is nice 1 too.

Trofeo Due Torri in Italy give away very classy one too.

Google 4 it.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »
One of the very few smart things Ferrigno said back in the day was that "you need to leave the ego out of the gym , you can bench 500 pounds, but if the chest ain't there the judges won't care ".

And Louie was a strong mofo.  Who squatted very heavy with no straps.

Levrone should keep this in mind , uploading clips lifting heavy ass weights won't make any difference when he steps on stage  ( if he ever competes again )

Kevin already adressed that subject. Light weights do not work on him.

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
Re: Lee Priest - Why Bodybuilders Stop Training Hard
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 08:51:03 AM »
Precisely why I am not a member of any gym.

Today I trained posterior chain (Hammer Strength Hip and Back) as well as Nautilus 4 way neck, in my basement. 

Sort of a spine pre-hab day.  And very good movements for the upcoming golf season. 

Tomorrow will be a series of shoulder movements, along with some smaller, neglected areas (direct bicep work, grip, etc.)

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 10:18:08 AM »
Kevin already adressed that subject. Light weights do not work on him.
Good memory. And yes he did.