Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 182628 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #375 on: January 12, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »
Ryan was weak against Drunk Uncle Joe in 2012 debates.  He let Biden bully him.

imagine Jeb in that room with Biden talking to him like a bad child.  I can picture jeb saying "You hold your tongue, mr biden, because you're acting like a damn fool!"

Ryan just nervously chugged his water and nodded along.   he doesn't have gravitas yet.  That comes when you're 55 or 60, not barely 40, no matter how brilliant you are (and ryan is a very smart man).   He just doesn't have that swagger and balls to put a man on his ass.  For biden being a clueless windbag, he has balls, and people do respect that, even if they hate the fcker.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #376 on: January 13, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Iowa GOP poll: Romney leads, followed by Bush, Wisconsin's Walker
Posted by: Patrick Condonnder
January 13, 2015

A poll of registered Iowa Republicans released Tuesday shows that Mitt Romney, the party's 2012 presidential candidate now mulling another run in 2016, is currently leading a large field of prospective challengers. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker came in third, behind former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

The nation-leading Iowa caucus is still about a year off, but prospective candidates have already started to openly discuss the race. The Washington Post reported on Monday that Romney, a former governor of Massachusetts, is "almost certain" to run again, and has been discussing it with a number of close allies including former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

The poll by Gravis Marketing, a Florida-based pollster, found Romney leading a field of eight other potential candidates with the support of 21 percent of respondents. "Romney's name recognition and the loyalty Republicans have for their last nominee give him an opportunity that no one else has," said Doug Kaplan, the manager partner of Gravis Marketing.

Bush, the brother and son of the two former President Bushes, was next with 14 percent. Walker, recently re-elected to a second term as Wisconsin's governor despite a divisive first term that saw a failed recount attempt, was in third place with 10 percent. A number of additional potential candidates scored support below 10 percent. In order, they were: Mike Huckabee, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, Chris Christie and Marco Rubio. Another 18 percent of poll respondents were undecided.
Ryan, a Wisconsin congressman, said Monday he would not run in 2016. The poll of 404 registered Iowa Republicans was taken Jan. 5-7.

The Iowa caucuses are tentatively scheduled for Jan. 18, 2016, though that date is not final. In 2012, Romney finished a close second in Iowa to former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum.

On the Democratic side, former Secretary of State and First Lady Hillary Clinton is seen as the prohibitive frontrunner. She has not made her candidacy official but is widely expected to announce this spring that she's running.

Clinton lost the 2008 Iowa caucus to then-Sen. Barack Obama, delivering an ultimately fatal blow to her candidacy.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/288435811.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #377 on: January 13, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
Karl Rove: Romney 'Has a Shot' at the White House
Monday, 12 Jan 2015
By Wanda Carruthers

Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney "has a shot" at winning the White House in 2016, and could follow in the footsteps of former Presidents Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan who failed to win the nation's highest office on their first attempt, said GOP strategist Karl Rove.

What Romney will have to do is to show he's serious and wasn't merely "teasing people" when he recently told donors he was interested in running again, Rove said. He would also need to convince voters and donors he was committed to changing the mistakes that caused him to lose the presidential race three years ago.

"He certainly has a shot. He was the Republican nominee in 2012, so he's got a lot of advocates and followers," Rove told Fox News' "Happening Now" on Monday. "He's going to have to say, 'Look. I get why I lost last time around, and I'm making changes that will make you feel that I'm going to be a better candidate.'"

The process of winning the presidency took Nixon eight years, Rove said, because he had to "prove that he was different and had changed," adding Reagan did the same when he ran for president.

"Ronald Reagan had to do it between 1976 and 1980. In 1976, his campaign was focused on knocking down [former Secretary of State] Henry Kissinger and his foreign policy. By 1980, it was the optimistic sunny Reagan talking about Kemp-Roth tax cuts," he said.

Rove said there were as many as 23 Republicans seriously eyeing a run for the White House, and predicted it was going to be an "unusual" contest. One thing that would be different was that all the candidates would be "judged on how they handle the dynamics of the campaign — how do they handle success and adversity over the next 12 months, 13 months?"

With so many potential candidates, he said it was both bad news and good news that "the big names are all talking about running," because it would put a "premium on people and on money and on time."

Rove said none of the Republicans interested in running would pull away from the party and run as an independent, predicting that "the odds of that are slim or none, and Slim's saddling up his horse and getting ready to ride out of town."

"Running as an independent is very difficult in modern American politics," he said. "I see all [of the potential candidates] as loyal Republicans who want to run as the Republican nominee, and who will support the Republican nominee, if it's not them."

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/Karl-Rove-Mitt-Romney-White-House-2016/2015/01/12/id/618062/#ixzz3OjeyxGQV

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #378 on: January 13, 2015, 12:40:26 PM »
dude, i'm so sick of the Roves talking about the Romneys chances.

just get some new faces and ideas in the white house.   It's getting so old with amnesty-supporting, min-wage-supporting, anti-gun bill writing Romney. 

sheesh, just call yourselves democrats and stop the flirting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: January 13, 2015, 12:49:11 PM »
 It's getting so old with amnesty-supporting, min-wage-supporting, anti-gun bill writing Romney. 

I voted Romney.  I've been very clear about that. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #380 on: January 13, 2015, 01:04:18 PM »
so are yo whining that i voted romney, or obama there, champ?   you can't bitch about me for BOTH, now can you?

LOL

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2015, 01:14:18 PM »
LOL!  So let's see here.  The lying liar (and his whole family) voted for Obama.  Then he lies about voting for Romney.  Then he claims he essentially hates Romney. 

Liars have such a hard time keeping their "facts" straight.  lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #382 on: January 13, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
LOL!  So let's see here.  The lying liar (and his whole family) voted for Obama.  Then he lies about voting for Romney.  Then he claims he essentially hates Romney. 

Liars have such a hard time keeping their "facts" straight.  lol

I do dislike romney greatly, but I had to vote for him in 2012 because it was him or obama.  My family voted obama, that's their business. 

I didn't vote obama, silly willy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #383 on: January 13, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »
Romney’s reboot: Can the 2012 loser really fix his problems in 2016?
By Howard Kurtz
January 14, 2015
FoxNews.com

Will Mitt 3.0, as he’s already been dubbed, be a better model than the earlier two incarnations?

Without so much as a single syllable uttered in public, Mitt Romney has shaken up the 2016 race, employing a strategy of calculated leaks to indicate that he wants to mount a third presidential bid. I was skeptical of what seemed like a trial balloon to buy some time as Jeb Bush claimed the mantle of establishment candidate, but this has mushroomed into Mitt trying to get the gang back together.

But given that Romney muffed what Republicans viewed as a prime opportunity to oust President Obama, the media are asking this question: What exactly would be different next time?

The exercise is reviving some bad memories of Romney’s flaws as the GOP nominee. And Romney would have to explain his change of heart after he (and Ann) so repeatedly declared that they were done trying to move into the White House. What’s his rationale? To save the party from Jeb? Or has he just been badly bitten by the presidential bug?

Let’s stipulate that beating an incumbent president, even with an anemic economic recovery, was tough. Let’s also stipulate that Romney is an experienced businessman, has a good temperament, can raise truckloads of money, and proved to be a strong debater.

But there were so many self-inflicted wounds that it’s hard to catalogue them. Self-deportation. I like being able to fire people. Binders full of women. The 47 percent.

Not even Romney’s biggest fans would suggest he’s a natural campaigner. I watched him up close with crowds and while he gamely tried to connect with folks, there’s an awkwardness rooted in his natural reserve. And that extended to his arm’s-length relationship with the press corps.

Part of the chatter now is that Romney could fare better

Politico quoted one Romney campaign alumnus as saying the new effort would “tell the story of Mitt better.” Several Romney veterans recalled how well the accounts from parishioners in Romney’s Mormon community resonated with voters who had been bombarded with ads about his tenure at Bain Capital.” Romney, of course, mostly avoided talking about his religion.

Politico quoted another former top adviser as saying “he really has to show people that he’d do it differently, rather than just say he’d do it differently. He needs to assure folks he’d take a much more direct approach to laying out the vision for his campaign versus having those decisions driven by a bunch of warring consultants.”

So why is Romney gearing up to do this? The Washington Post’s Robert Costa, who has set the pace on this story, quoted yet another anonymous Romney adviser as saying, “Mitt’s a very restless character. He is not the type to retire happily, to read books on the beach. . . . He believes he has something to offer the country and the only way he can do that is by running for president again.”

But that explanation is more about Romney’s feelings than how he’d be a stronger candidate than last time around. And not everyone in the GOP is wild about the idea. John McCain, who defeated Romney in 2008 (and wants his friend Lindsey Graham to run this time) says: “I thought there was no education in the second kick of a mule.”

New York magazine’s Jonathan Chait poses the question bluntly:

“Why would Republicans, who grudgingly submitted to a Romney nomination in 2012 only after every other possibility had exhausted itself, give him another try when so many alternatives are available? What qualities would make a Romney candidacy more attractive to Republican voters in 2016 than it was in 2012?”

The Fix columnist Chris Cillizza admits he’s stunned by the prospect of a third Mitt campaign:

“I don't doubt Romney's sincerity. But I do think he and those close to him are fooling themselves that he can simply proclaim that he is running a new and different campaign -- one based on foreign policy and poverty, according to Politico -- and that will be that. It's literally impossible for me to imagine such a scenario.”

Breitbart goes back to the Netflix film “Mitt” that some acolytes are fondly remembering, and doesn’t give it two thumbs up:

“The best that can be said for the Romney portrayed in ‘Mitt’ is that, had he conveyed his behind-the-scenes personality to voters better, Romney might have mitigated the damage from Obama’s attacks. Maybe some of his self-effacing humor, or seeing Romney wear duct-taped gloves while skiing and pick up hotel-room trash like a normal person might could have offset the ruthless out-of-touch businessman image portrayed by his opponent.

“But the subtext of  ‘Mitt’ is Romney’s tragic inability to actually be that person in public.

“For a man seeking his third shot at the presidency amidst the strongest GOP bench in decades, it’s not a flattering portrait.”

The former Massachusetts governor doesn’t have to win over the pundits, of course, but he does need a smarter approach to using the media to get out his message. There’s already talk that he won’t be bringing back his old communications team, which often didn’t bother to respond to reporters.

The media love the idea of a Mitt-vs.-Jeb showdown. But Romney, who once mused about how those who lose presidential elections are branded losers, needs to offer a compelling rationale for why he can win.

Click for more from Media Buzz

Howard Kurtz is a Fox News analyst and the host of "MediaBuzz" (Sundays 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET). He is the author of five books and is based in Washington. Follow him at @HowardKurtz. Click here for more information on Howard Kurtz.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/14/romneys-reboot-can-2012-loser-really-fix-his-problems-in-2016/?intcmp=latestnews

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2015, 09:59:07 AM »
calling:
Sarah
Herman
Rick
Michele

please join in the fun!
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2015, 10:11:50 AM »
calling:
Sarah
Herman
Rick
Michele

please join in the fun!

Paging:
Joe
Al
John
Dennis

please join the party!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #387 on: January 16, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »
Marco Rubio sharpens his potential 2016 pitch
BySTEPHANIE CONDONCBS NEWS
January 13, 2015

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, knows what sets him apart from most Republicans.

As a first-generation Cuban-American, Rubio is familiar with the American immigrant experience. At 43 years old, he's young enough to recognize an Internet meme. And, he argues, he's more focused on the structural problems that have led to economic inequality in the U.S.

Fostering upward mobility is largely the focus of his new book, "American Dreams: Restoring Economic Opportunity for Everyone," and it could be the basis for a presidential campaign. Rubio said he'll jump in the 2016 race if no one else in the Republican field puts forward an economic agenda like his -- even if that means running against his one-time mentor, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

"If I run for president it won't be against anyone, it will be because I believe I have an agenda that no one else is offering on our side of the aisle," Rubio said Monday on CBS This Morning.

What he's known for
While he's been working on beefing up his policy credentials, it was Rubio's unique identity and political acumen that first generated buzz.

As a young, conservative Latino with the political chops to win in Florida -- the nation's largest swing state -- Rubio has been a star in the GOP since winning his Senate seat in 2010. He ran an insurgent campaign against Republican-turned-independent Gov. Charlie Crist and twice defeated the governor handily to claim the Senate seat.

While he won his first Senate race with tea party support, he quickly made friends with the Republican establishment and made headlines in 2013 by supporting the Senate's comprehensive immigration reform package. Time magazine that year hailed Rubio as the "Republican savior."

At the very least, Rubio could help salvage the GOP's reputation with Latino voters. He won his 2010 race with 55 percent of the Hispanic vote in Florida, only to watch his party lose Latino support in the subsequent years with talk of electric border fences and "self-deportation."

Rubio's youth also remains a clear asset -- one that presents an easy contrast with Hillary Clinton (67 years old) and Jeb Bush (61). As early as page 8 in his new book, Rubio charges that Clinton is wedded to policies "of the past."

"It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of the age of your ideas," Rubio said to CBS News correspondent Nancy Cordes.

While the United States was prosperous during Bill Clinton's presidency, "the 1990s are over," Rubio said. "We're in the 21st Century. The notion you're going to take ideas that worked in the 20th Century and translate them to the 21st Century and they're going to solve our modern-day problems is just not true... The longer we keep insisting on it, the more people are going to be left behind."

Attributes like ethnicity and age can give candidates an "entry point" into the election, GOP pollster David Winston told CBS News, but it will take more substance to mount a successful campaign. Rubio is taking the right approach by focusing on economic policy issues, Winston said. Winston's post-midterm research showed that voters gave the GOP no clear mandate, other than to bring some good ideas to the table.

"If there's one mandate for Republicans, it's the expectation of effective governing," he said. "That means you have a vision of the direction the country should be going and how to get there."

As for whether Rubio has the right set of ideas, "the Republican electorate will decide that," Winston said.

Where he stands on the issues
Economic policy: In his book, Rubio lays out some of the economic proposals he's recently proposed, such as a "Student Investment Plan" to make college more affordable. The plan would let investors help pay for a student's tuition in return for a percentage of his or her income upon graduation.

He also promotes his plan to replace the Earned Income Tax Credit with a low-income wage subsidy he calls a "federal wage enhancement."

The senator also reiterates his support for a plan to add a "premium support" element to Medicare, which would give seniors the choice of getting a voucher for private insurance rather than government health coverage.

Foreign Policy: Rubio has set himself apart as one of the most hawkish potential 2016 candidates, standing in particular contrast to libertarian Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky.

Unlike Paul, Rubio maintains that opening up economic relations with Cuba will do nothing to ease the political repression there.

"My belief is that the Cuban government will pocket all of these changes... but it has already made very clear there will be no political change," he said on CBS This Morning. "There is no contemporary example of how a tyranny resistant to change is forced to change because of economic opening."

Meanwhile, in September, Rubio suggested that other Republicans are following his lead when it comes to stepping up the fight against ISIS. He also last year criticized the Obama administration for not doing enough to deter Russia from interfering in Ukraine.

Immigration: While Rubio supported the failed 2013 comprehensive Senate bill, Rubio told the Associated Press last week that he now supports a piece-by-piece approach to the issue.

"I ran for office to identify problems and try to solve them," he said. "Now, we tried to solve them last year through a comprehensive bill. And it's clear that that approach won't work."

Same-sex marriage: After Florida's ban on same-sex marriage ended earlier this month, Rubio restated his belief that "the institution of marriage is defined as the union of one man and one woman."

However, he added to CNN, "I understand that voters in some states have changed that, and I respect it," he said. "And, you know, we have a court system that's beginning to weigh in -- and whatever the law is, we're going to abide by it and respect it."

Marijuana use: When states last year began experimenting with marijuana legalization, Rubio said he opposed legalization. However, he refused to comment on his own experience with the drug.

"If I tell you that I haven't, you won't believe me," he said. "And if I tell you that I did, then kids will look up to me and say, 'Well, I can smoke marijuana because look how he made it.'"

Why some Republicans may think twice about Rubio
Rubio's proven to be a charismatic conservative, and he has support from both establishment Republicans and the tea party-aligned wing of the party. Still, he may not have enough support to make it all the way to the nomination.

"Is he conservative enough to contest with [Ted] Cruz, [Rick] Santorum and whoever for the tea party types? Probably not," Florida-based GOP consultant John Stipanovich told CBS News. "Is he establishment enough to post up against Jeb [Bush] or [Chris] Christie? Probably not."

Stipanovich has strong ties to Bush, and while he's not working with the former governor currently, Stipanovich noted he's "not without bias" on the subject. He pointed out that many GOP operatives in Florida and across the country have, like him, "worked for, served with, supported, have hoped for one Bush or another for what -- 40 years?"

The fact that Jeb Bush has shown strong interest in running for president could make it more difficult for Rubio to tap into Florida's base of major GOP supporters and donors.

"I can't speak to Iowa or New Hampshire," Stipanovich said, but "if you want to run for something for Florida in the Republican Party, you don't want to run against Bush."

Bush's supporters are already aiming to raise $100 million for the former governor in the next three months, and Rubio has acknowledged that Bush should be able to pull it off.

Still, he told CBS This Morning that this fundraising goal isn't influencing his own decision.

"If I decide the best place to serve America at this time in my life is as president of the United States, I'll run for president, and I'm confident we can put together a campaign that makes us competitive and allows us to win," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marco-rubio-sharpens-his-potential-2016-pitch/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #388 on: January 20, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
Mike Huckabee: 'I'm More Than Just Thinking' About 2016 Run
Tuesday, 20 Jan 2015
By Wanda Carruthers

Former Republican Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" he was "more than just thinking about" running for president in 2016 after giving up his popular Fox News TV show "Huckabee."

A final decision would take place after he could "determine if there's financial support" for his candidacy, he said.

"I'm more than just thinking about it," Huckabee said Tuesday. "Having jumped into that deep pool before, the one thing I've said, I'm not going to jump into it if there's not water in it."

Story continues below video.

Huckabee, who did not run for president in 2012, won numerous Republican primaries in the 2008 race.
He currently ranks third among a list of potential GOP contenders in a recent CBS poll, behind front-runner and 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney, and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who placed second.

Rounding out the top six possible Republican candidates in the CBS poll were New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

Huckabee said Romney and Bush would be "formidable candidates" who were able to "raise a boatload of money." However, he said he didn't place much emphasis in polls this far ahead of the race.

"At this point, polls don't mean a lot. They're indicative only of how people feel so far out before the process starts, and before people are going out there making speeches," he said.

"It's not substantive, because it's not really based on anything other than what headline they read yesterday, what little clip they saw. And, there's a whole lot of time between now and even the start of the race, much less the finish of the race."

A Huckabee presidency would bring a vision for the country that differs from that of President Barack Obama, one that emphasized strength on the international stage as well as placed a focus domestically on improving the economy, Huckabee told "Fox & Friends" on Tuesday.

"America would be a strong country. We wouldn't be bowing and apologizing. We would be a country that people would respect. If they didn't like us, they would respect us, if not fear us.

"The second thing is we change the way the economic outlook is. You don't punish people who are being productive. This president wants to punish everybody who is working, saving, investing," he said.

Story continues below video.

Huckabee said his credentials included governing in "the bluest state in America for 10½ years," which was successful because of his ability to work with Democrats.

"There was no legislature more lopsided. I learned how to govern. One of the things this president has failed to do, he has failed to build relationships with his own party and people of the other party and learned how to govern.

"He knows how to make a speech," Huckabee said.

On the issues, Huckabee told "Morning Joe" that income disparity was a "huge issue," and maintained that the minimum wage, at whatever rate, still provided an "entry level" income and offered a way "to get your foot in the door." He said the federal bank bailout in 2008 was "utterly wrong."

"You don't bail out people for being recklessly irresponsible," he said. "They treated Wall Street like it was a casino, instead of a real tool of investment. And, they bet wrong."

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/Mike-Huckabee-presidency-gop-2016/2015/01/20/id/619547/#ixzz3PNb9y7Ku

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #389 on: January 20, 2015, 08:36:11 AM »
Romney, Bush work House for support, pick up several early endorsements
Published January 17, 2015
FoxNews.com

Jan. 16, 2015: Mitt Romney, the former Republican presidential nominee, at the Republican National Committee's winter meeting aboard the USS Midway Museum, in San Diego. (AP)

The recent announcement by former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney that he is considering a third White House run in 2016 has resulted in several early Capitol Hill endorsements.

The flurry of public endorsements, including several during this week's GOP congressional retreat, is largely split between Romney and former Florida Republican Gov. Jeb Bush, who last month said he was seriously considering a presidential run.

“I think Romney checks three boxes,” said Utah GOP Rep. Jason Chaffetz, who backed Romney in 2012. “He’s well-vetted. We know exactly what we’re going to get. … And he is one of the few people that can raise the $1 billion it’s going to take to beat Hillary Clinton.”

Chaffetz said recent history shows Romney in his 2012 bid against incumbent Democratic President Obama was right on several issues, including his foreign policy position that Russia was the United States’ “No. 1 geopolitical foe.”

Earnest speculation about another Romney run started last week when he told a group of donors that he was interested in running again, which was followed by news reports that he and wife Ann were trying to contact former aides and donors.

And on Friday, Romney gave a campaign-style speech in San Diego before those gathered there for a Republican National Committee meeting.

Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, also reportedly got an early endorsement on Tuesday from Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Pa.

“Gov. Romney is the only person who has the credentials,” Kelly told NewsMaxTV. “He’s done it in the past, he can do it again.”

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen says she supports Bush and Sen. Marco Rubio, all Florida Republicans.

Ros-Lehtinen told The Hill newspaper she was giving early support to both because likely “in the end only one will run.”

She was among a handful of House members at the retreat -- including Joe Wilson, S.C.; Mike McCaul, Texas, and Carlos Curbelo, Fla. -- who acknowledged having been contacted by several likely GOP presidential candidates seeking early support.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/18/romney-bush-work-house-for-support-pick-up-several-early-endorsements/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »
Romney and Jeb Bush to Meet in Utah
By JONATHAN MARTIN
JANUARY 21, 2015

WASHINGTON — Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney are scheduled to meet privately this week in Utah, raising the possibility that the two former governors will find a way to avoid competing presidential campaigns that would split the Republican establishment next year, two prominent party members said Wednesday night.

The meeting was planned before Mr. Romney’s surprise announcement two weeks ago to donors in New York that he was considering a third run for the White House.

Mr. Bush proposed the meeting, according to one of the party members familiar with the planning, who did not want to be quoted by name in discussing a secret meeting.

The original idea was for Mr. Bush, who announced his presidential ambitions in December, to show his respect for Mr. Romney, the Republican Party’s 2012 nominee. The meeting stayed on both men’s calendars even as Mr. Romney took steps to test the presidential waters, moves that could make the meeting awkward.

Aides to Mr. Romney and Mr. Bush did not reply to requests for comment.

Both men have been making a flurry of phone calls to Republican donors and officials to sound them out and gather commitments ahead of what could be a bruising primary race.

In some cases, Mr. Bush and Mr. Romney are calling the same people just hours apart. Many of the contributors and elected officials they are courting hope to stave off a collision between the two that could imperil the party’s chances in a general election.

Mr. Bush, a former Florida governor, and Mr. Romney, who was governor of Massachusetts, are neither friends nor adversaries. But Mr. Bush offered little help to Mr. Romney in his 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns, and tensions have grown since Mr. Bush said that he was exploring a presidential bid.

Mr. Bush has been critical of the way Mr. Romney ran his 2012 campaign, and Mr. Romney has raised questions in private about whether Mr. Bush, who has worked in the finance industry in recent years, would be vulnerable to the attacks that so damaged his own campaign against President Obama.

Both Republicans have deep ties to leading Republican fund-raisers, and Mr. Bush, the son of one former president and the brother of another, has already won pledges of support.

But Mr. Romney’s expression of interest, made public in a speech to the Republican National Committee last week in San Diego, has stopped some of the party’s coveted fund-raising bundlers from making firm commitments.

A number of Mr. Romney’s loyalists have made their own phone calls and sent emails asking associates to hold off on any commitments until Mr. Romney makes a decision.

Establishment Republicans are eager for Mr. Romney to make his intentions clear, but he said in a speech in California on Monday that he had no timeline for making a decision.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/us/politics/romney-and-jeb-bush-to-meet-raising-speculation-on-presidential-race.html?_r=3&referrer=

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
Why Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush top list of preferred candidates among Republicans
Despite the rise of the tea party, the GOP nomination process remains inclined to pick a candidate closer to the middle of American politics. Absent some drastic change, there’s no reason to believe that this won’t remain the case in 2016.
By Doug Mataconis, Decoder contributor  JANUARY 21, 2015

Gregory Bull/APView Caption

If you follow the commentary of conservatives in the blogosphere and on social media, the idea of another Mitt Romney run for the White House is pretty much the worst idea ever, a sentiment which is consistent with the revised history of recent American politics that one hears from this segment of the world of punditry. Notwithstanding the fact that in 2008 Romney was seen as the conservative alternative to eventual nominee Sen. John McCain (R) of Arizona, by the time 2012 rolled around the former Massachusetts governor came to be seen during the 2012 cycle as the supposed moderate, with some even labeling the man who was cheered at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in 2008 even as he announced he was dropping out of the race as a “Republican In Name Only” due to his association with a health-care reform plan that many saw as being the impetus for the Affordable Care Act. After Romney lost the general election in 2012, the standard claim on the right blamed his loss on the fact that, once again, the GOP had not nominated someone who has “conservative enough” and that this caused conservative voters to stay home. The fact is that the 2012 Republican general election campaign was indeed quite conservative when it came to the economic and other messages that the Romney campaign put forward and that there is no evidence at all to support the assertion that Romney lost due to conservatives “staying home.”1

With the recent news that Mitt Romney was considering running for president again, these critics have come out of the woodwork again to loudly proclaim that they will not support him. Interestingly, though, many of their fellow Republicans clearly don’t feel the same way:

Fifty-nine percent of Republicans would like to see Romney jump into the 2016 race, while only 26 percent believe he should stay out, according to the CBS News poll.

Fifty percent of Republicans would like to see former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on the campaign trail as well, while 27 percent disagree. If both Romney and Bush run, analysts expect them to wage a competitive battle for the allegiance of the Republican establishment.

Another potential candidate viewed favorably by the GOP establishment, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, is sought less eagerly by Republicans. Only 29 percent say they’d like to see Christie launch a bid, while 44 percent say otherwise. (Only former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s numbers are more underwater: 30 percent of Republicans say they’d like to see her run, but 59 percent disagree.)

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee posts a respectable showing, with 40 percent of Republicans urging him to get in, and 29 percent urging him to stay out.

A trio of Republican senators who have stoked the enthusiasm of the grassroots have mixed numbers. Twenty-seven percent of Republicans would like Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul to mount a bid, but 34 percent disagree. Twenty-six percent would like Florida Sen. Marco Rubio to run, while 19 percent would not. Twenty-one percent want Texas Sen. Ted Cruz to run, while 25 percent want him to not run.

Republicans are similarly lukewarm on some of the party’s governors. Twenty-one percent want Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas, to run, but 32 percent disagree. Fourteen percent want Gov. Bobby Jindal, R-Louisiana, to run, but 20 percent disagree. Wisconsin’s Scott Walker fares better, however: 22 percent want him to run, while 12 percent don’t.

Finally, 19 percent of Republicans would like to see former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum run, while 29 percent would not. And 21 percent would like to see a campaign by Dr. Ben Carson, a retired neurosurgeon and conservative activist, while 17 percent disagree.
What’s most interesting about these numbers, of course, is the fact that so-called “establishment” candidates like Romney and Bush are doing far better in the polls right now than maverick candidates such as Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, or Rand Paul. To some degree, of course, the response to this poll can be attributed to name recognition and the fact that many of the potential candidates for president are still largely unknown to people who don’t follow politics closely. Still, it’s worthwhile to note what we’re seeing here, which is the fact that the top two candidates in the poll of self-identified Republicans are the so-called “establishment” candidates rather than the maverick conservatives. This runs counter to the arguments of people who are part of that base who claim, on a regular basis, that “the American people” are yearning for a hard-right conservative in the mold of Ronald Reagan, not the Ronald Reagan who was actually president, mind you, but the myth that conservatives have created of a Ronald Reagan who governed to the hard right, never compromised, and provided the GOP with all it needs to know about how to win elections and govern, even in an era of divided government. Those candidates are far down the list of candidates that self-identified Republicans would like to see run in 2016, just as they were in 2012, 2008, and 2000.

While this is likely to be disappointing to the right-wing base of the GOP, it should not be too much of a surprise. Looking back through recent history, the Republican Party typically doesn’t end up nominating “maverick” candidates in the sense of picking the candidate that appeals most to the base. Instead, they have usually picked the candidate that arguably comes closest to appealing to the middle of American politics. In the era before primaries controlled the process, of course, this was largely due to the influence of party bosses and insiders in picking the nominees, but if anything the primary system has made the likelihood that the eventual GOP nominee will come from the “establishment” even more likely. For one thing, the fact that most Republican presidential primaries are open primaries means that voters who are generally politically independent are able to vote, and they are generally more likely to vote for more “middle of the road” candidates. This is how candidates like McCain and Romney were able to hold off challenges from the right and win the nomination, and it’s likely to have a similar impact on the race in 2016 as well. Combine that with the role of money in politics, and the fact that big money Republican donors are more likely to back traditional conservatives than mavericks like Cruz, Paul, or former US Sen. Rick Santorum, and it seems pretty clear that, despite the rise of the tea party, the GOP nomination process remains inclined to pick a candidate closer to the middle of American politics. Absent some drastic change, there’s no reason to believe that this won’t remain the case in 2016. Right now, that suggests that either Bush or, if he runs, Romney, would be the most likely person to be the nominee, but it could also mean that the nomination could go to one of the lesser known governors that might get into the race. It also means that those hoping for a Ted Cruz or Rand Paul at the top of the Republican ticket next year are likely to be disappointed.

Indeed, Mitt Romney received more raw votes in 2012 than John McCain did in 2008 even though overall turnout in 2012 was lower.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/Decoder-Voices/2015/0121/Why-Mitt-Romney-Jeb-Bush-top-list-of-preferred-candidates-among-Republicans

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #392 on: January 23, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »
Good.  Interested to see what he has to offer.

John Zogby: Rubio, Tied With Bush in Polls, Smart to Move on 2016
Friday, 23 Jan 2015
By Melissa Clyne and Newsmax Wires

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio couldn’t have planned better timing for the announcement that he is preparing to seek the White House in 2016, news that hit at the same time a new poll shows Rubio taking a major leap in the polls, pollster John Zogby said Friday on "America’s Forum" on Newsmax TV.

"It's huge and it's right at the moment where he's declaring that he's forming an exploratory committee," Zogby said. "He can't get a better one-two punch kickoff than that.

"Last month, he was at 6 percent and now he's at 13 percent, but it also puts him in the top tier with two very big names: Mitt Romney and Jeb Bush. It means he's a player, at least for now."

A senior Rubio adviser told ABC News that the senator informed his staff to proceed as if he is going to run. Rubio is reportedly organizing a fundraiser and planning trips to early voting states.

Rubio has chosen Anna Rogers, the finance director for conservative group American Crossroads founded by former President George W. Bush adviser Karl Rove, to lead his fundraising effort, the adviser told Reuters in an email.

"We hired Rogers, will fundraise in California next week and visit early states next month," the adviser said, requesting anonymity.

Rogers will start work on Rubio's political action committee on Feb. 1 and become the finance director of his presidential campaign, the adviser said.

At 13 percent, Zogby’s latest poll puts Rubio in a dead heat with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. Former GOP nominee Mitt Romney leads the pack at 16 percent, but having a newbie like Rubio in striking distance of two established names is huge.

"The former nominee at 16 percent and the scion of the GOP family, Jeb Bush, at 13 percent and little Marco Rubio at 13 percent right now, that's got to give you some pause," Zogby said. "Those are not good numbers for the two best known names in the party."

Forbes reports that the latest Zogby poll also shows New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie at 11 percent, followed by former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 9 percent, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker at 6 percent, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal at 4 percent, and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz all at 3 percent.

Paul, a favorite of the tea party with a reputation as a "fighting outsider, libertarian and non-compromising guy," dropped from 10 percent to 3 percent in a month.

The change may be attributed to his changing message, according to Zogby, such as "gratuitously sponsoring a piece of legislation to cut off aid to the Palestinian authority not so much because of that issue in it of itself, but the very fact that it doesn't represent where he and his father (former Texas Sen. Ron Paul) have been."

"He's taken different stances and looking like just a garden variety political candidate," said Zogby.

Rubio will make a fundraising trip through California next week and scheduled a book tour that will include stops in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Florida, his adviser said.

Rubio is up for re-election to the Senate in 2016. Florida does not allow candidates to run concurrent congressional and presidential campaigns.

The 43-year-old Rubio, who served in the Florida legislature while Bush was governor, would compete with many of the same donors in their home state.

In an appearance Wednesday after the State of the Union address, Rubio said Bush, with whom he is close, is a "very credible candidate" who could raise the amount of money necessary to run a presidential campaign.

But he also said the foreign policy experience he gained in the Senate would set him apart from the current and former governors making a White House bid.

Rubio was a fierce critic of President Barack Obama's move last month to normalize relations with Cuba.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/Marco-Rubio-jeb-bush-mitt-romney-polls/2015/01/23/id/620313/#ixzz3PfbBprb0

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #393 on: January 23, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »
Marco Rubio Makes Moves Toward A 2016 Run, ABC Reports
Reuters
Posted: 01/23/2015
By Doina Chiacu

WASHINGTON, Jan 23 (Reuters) - U.S. Senator Marco Rubio is preparing to launch a bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, signing on a prominent fundraiser and planning trips to early voting states, a Rubio adviser said on Friday.

Rubio has chosen Anna Rogers, the finance director for conservative group American Crossroads founded by former President George W. Bush adviser Karl Rove, to lead his fundraising effort, the adviser told Reuters in an email.

"We hired Rogers, will fundraise in California next week and visit early states next month," the adviser said, requesting anonymity.

Rogers will start work on Rubio's political action committee on Feb. 1 and become the finance director of his presidential campaign, the adviser said.

ABC first reported the moves, quoting a senior Rubio aide as saying, "He has told us to proceed as if he is running for president."

Rubio, a Cuban American whose entry into the race was in question after fellow Florida Republican Jeb Bush, the son and brother of former U.S. presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, moved toward a candidacy this month.

A Bush candidacy complicated the path to the White House for potential Republican rivals, including Mitt Romney, who ran unsuccessfully in 2008 and 2012. Other 2016 hopefuls competing for Republican fundraising dollars include New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee.

Rubio will make a fundraising trip through California next week and scheduled a book tour that will include stops in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Florida, his adviser said.

Rubio is up for re-election to the Senate in 2016. Florida does not allow candidates to run concurrent congressional and presidential campaigns.

The 43-year-old Rubio, who served in the Florida legislature while Bush was governor, would compete with many of the same donors in their home state.

In an appearance Wednesday after the State of the Union address, Rubio said Bush, with whom he is close, is a "very credible candidate" who could raise the amount of money necessary to run a presidential campaign.

But he also said the foreign policy experience he gained in the Senate would set him apart from the current and former governors making a White House bid.

Rubio was a fierce critic of President Barack Obama's move last month to normalize relations with Cuba.

The candidates could clash on immigration, with Rubio having worked to placate conservative Republicans furious over a sweeping immigration reform bill he helped write two years ago. Bush, whose wife is Mexican-born, said in April that illegal immigrants who come to the United States to provide for their families are not committing a felony but an "act of love." (Editing by Susan Heavey and Chizu Nomiyama)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/23/marco-rubio-2016_n_6530922.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #394 on: January 26, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »
Rasmussen Poll: Mitt Romney Leads GOP Pack

Image: Rasmussen Poll: Mitt Romney Leads GOP Pack (Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)
Friday, 23 Jan 2015
By Andrea Billups

A new poll from Rasmussen Reports has found Mitt Romney atop a growing field of GOP contenders.

The telephone survey of likely Republican voters found Romney, with his high name recognition, leading a slate of nine possible candidates with 24 percent support, Rasmussen said.

The poll asked respondents who they would pick if the GOP presidential primary were held right now — far in advance of its actual date.

Coming in behind the 2012 GOP presidential nominee were former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush at 13 percent, conservative columnist and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson at 12 percent and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker at 11 percent.

Both Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie earned 7 percent support while Florida Sen. Marco Rubio gained 5 percent along with former Texas Gov. Rick Perry. Four percent chose other candidates and 12 percent said they were undecided, Rasmussen said. 

Republicans are working to coalesce behind a strong candidate who might take on Hillary Clinton, the likely 2016 Democratic nominee.
News Update

A new Washington Post/ABC News poll, however, found Clinton beating all top GOP contenders in a head-to-head contest, creating concern for Republicans as more candidates ponder a White House bid, CNN reported.

Little emerged publicly from a meeting between Romney and Bush, who had a cordial talk over lunch Thursday in Salt Lake City, to discuss their competing ambitions, The New York Times reported.

A previous Rasmussen poll noted that voters want a fresh face, and not the usual suspects, as they choose a GOP presidential hopeful. Just 10 percent said they should choose a candidate who has run in the past.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Politics/Rasmussen-Poll-romney-ahead-Jeb-Bush/2015/01/23/id/620354/#ixzz3PwYX8CbP

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #395 on: January 26, 2015, 08:02:02 AM »
Watched a portion of his speech.  He did a good job. 

Round I in Iowa: Scott Walker Emerges
Sunday, 25 Jan 2015
By Greg Richter

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's rousing speech  at the Iowa Freedom Summit on Saturday has early speculation favoring his "go big and go bold" call to Republicans.

Walker received multiple standing ovations during his speech, with news outlets reporting that the crowd was more receptive to him than to other potential GOP 2016 hopefuls including Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

"If you’re not afraid to go big and go bold, you can actually get results," Walker told the enthusiastic crowd.

"There's a reason we take a day off to celebrate the 4th of July and not the 15th of April," said Walker, pacing the stage in rolled up shirtsleeves. "Because in America we value our independence from the government, not our dependence on it."

"In every fight for conservative principles Gov. Scott Walker has stood firm," David Bossie, president of the conservative group Citizens United, said when he introduced Walker. "This country is a better place because Scott Walker answered the call to lead."

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus told Time, "Scott Walker’s a guy you want to have a beer with — a Miller Lite."

Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad said Walker is a "proven vote-getter" after he survived a recall election, then was re-elected to a second term in 2014. "I think he will relate well [in Iowa]," Time quoted him as saying.

Walker highlighted his conservative bonafides on abortion and immigration, among other subjects, but he also sees himself as having a better ability to reach voters outside the conservative base.

"Walker was relatable, humorous, substantive, and more fiery than the crowd expected," Matt Strawn, a former chairman of the Republican Party of Iowa, told Bloomberg.

School teacher Joan Van Tersch told Bloomberg Walker is "focused on what we need to be focused on — that's empowering us, not the government. He speaks very well."

Council Bluffs Tea Party activist Lenny Scaletta was impressed with Walker's words about his humble beginnings in Iowa, the son of a minister and secretary who had to work his way through college flipping hamburgers at McDonald's.

"I'd want to talk to him, but from what he's said and his passion and his work history I'd definitely support him," Scaletta said told Bloomberg. "If it was between him, Mitt Romney, and Jeb Bush, by all means I'd be behind Scott Walker 100 percent."

The Freedom Summit, arranged by Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King, is seen as the kickoff of the Republican presidential campaign season, though no candidates have officially announced a campaign yet.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Headline/Scott-Walker-presidential-race-appeals/2015/01/25/id/620596/#ixzz3Pwa2HawO

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #396 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:18 AM »
Walker is the guy that said he considered planting rioters into a quiet protest, but didn't want to because he thought he'd be caught?

LOL sorry, he's shady and that line isn't one he can outrun.  GOP should focus on rand, cruz, carson.  Why tie the cart to a flawed candidate?  and those pining for romney... he lost to an insanely beatable obama.  People in the GOP base don't like him, can't outrun that.  if fresh obamacare can't motivate them to hold nose and vote obama...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #397 on: January 26, 2015, 02:34:54 PM »
I like this guy.

Rubio Shines at Koch Forum
Cruz, Paul perform as well.
JAN 26, 2015 • BY STEPHEN F. HAYES

Rancho Mirage, California

Three top Republican senators joined top center-right donors Sunday evening for a lively, informal discussion on politics and policy to cap off a weekend that effectively marks the kickoff of the 2016 presidential primary. In oversized white chairs on stage at the Ritz Carlton Rancho Mirage, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, and Marco Rubio fielded questions for nearly 90 minutes from Jonathan Karl of ABC News, who capably pushed the potential candidates for responses on a wide range of issues.

The discussion came as part of a weekend seminar for wealthy conservatives and libertarians sponsored by Charles and David Koch and was livestreamed by ABC News.

There were few differences between the three senators over the first half of the discussion, which focused largely on domestic policy. On tax policy, none of the three said they would take the deal offered to GOP primary candidates in 2012 – $10 in spending cuts for every $1 of tax hikes. Cruz mocked the premise and suggested that it’s a question that only the media love. Rubio argued that even with the kind of cuts and tax hikes the question assumes, the U.S. government couldn’t “set aside” the looming entitlement crisis. Paul used the session to urge Republicans in Washington to take a bolder approach to tax reform, saying that if the GOP spends its time just fighting for “revenue neutral tax reform” he might as well return to his medical practice in Kentucky.

If the forum was characterized by agreement on domestic policy issues, the stark differences between Paul and Rubio on foreign policy were obvious. Karl asked specifically about Cuba policy and noted that Paul has voiced support for the Obama administration’s new approach. In an argument that echoes Obama’s, Paul argued that it’s time for a change after fifty years of a failed Cuba embargo. As he has before, Paul once again suggested that those who disagree with him are driven primarily by “emotion.” Rubio countered by accusing Paul – and Obama – of misunderstanding the purpose of the embargo, noting that the Castro regime confiscated property of many Americans during the revolution. Cruz, for his part, reinforced Rubio’s arguments and cited his family’s ties to Cuba.

The sharpest differences came during the discussion of Iran. Paul again supported the Obama administration’s case that even talking about additional sanctions could threaten the delicate talks. Invoking Ronald Reagan and the Soviet Union, Paul touted the benefits of talking to your enemies and suggested that Cruz and Rubio were out of step with the Republican icon. Rubio scoffed at the suggestion that triggered sanctions are too tough. The Obama administration, he argued, is too solicitous of the Iranian regime. It’s hard to have serious negotiations with the mullahs, Rubio added, in part because of their apocalyptic views of a world that fails to embrace Islam.

If the first half of the discussion was a draw, Rubio stood out in the discussion of foreign policy and national security. It was clear that he has a command of the issues that far surpasses both Paul and Cruz – a fact that’s perhaps not surprising given Rubio’s service on both the Senate Foreign Relations committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee. Rubio demonstrated a fluency on matters of national security that one might expect from a senator who has been in Washington much longer than four years.

Cruz hasn’t focused on national security issues the way Rubio has, but articulated positions that put him squarely in the mainstream of Republican thinking on those issues, and did so in a way that distinguished him from the views of his friend and frequent ally, Paul.

Paul showed no reluctance embracing the positions of the Obama administration, even before an audience that was very skeptical of the case he made. Both at the forum here and more generally, Paul is offering a less-crazy and more politically saleable version of the non-interventionism championed by his father. While the media have long predicted an emerging non-interventionist wing of the GOP, there did not appear to be many sympathetic to Paul’s case, with audible opposition to his arguments on Cuba and, in particular, on Iran.

. . .

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/rubio-shines-koch-forum_824428.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #398 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
I agree with the National Review... Rubio's cuddling with Schumer (D) NY and outright reveral on Amnesty should scare all republicans. 

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/351807/marco-rubio-we-hardly-knew-ye-jonathan-strong

Unless we're going to accuse the national review of being a liberal rag now, too?  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #399 on: January 27, 2015, 08:14:07 AM »
GOP Donors Appear in No Hurry to Commit to 2016 Candidate
Monday, 26 Jan 2015

Add Chris Christie to the list of prospective candidates for president now taking donations, a group of Republicans that might ultimately top two dozen.

But for all the flurry of activity in the GOP race, set off last month by former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and amplified by 2012 nominee Mitt Romney, some of the party's most sought-after donors appear content to let things shake out a bit before making a commitment to any one candidate.

For many of the party's biggest fundraisers, signing on with a contender is a two-year commitment that usually includes asking friends, family and colleagues for donations they can bundle into stacks of checks. It's not a decision taken lightly, especially with a field so large and in a campaign where total spending is sure to be measured in the billions.

"I don't think there's this rush that everybody's trying to create here," said Fred Malek, a longtime GOP donor and finance chairman of the Republican Governors Association.

Interviews with more than a dozen donors and fundraisers across the country suggest many are choosing to hold back until they have a better sense of the field and get a chance to meet with the would-be presidents. The ranks of unaligned major donors include several top players in the party, including hedge fund investors Paul Singer and Robert Mercer, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson and casino magnate Sheldon Adelson.

"It seems like there needs to be a little more clarity of who's running before people make commitments," said Barry Wynn, the former chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party and a top GOP fundraiser. No candidate has formally entered the race, and several likely contenders — including Sens. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Marco Rubio, as well as Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry — plan to wait until late spring or the summer to do so.

That's not to say the work of raising money and making plans isn't already underway. The political machine backed by the billionaire Koch brothers on Monday told their most-loyal supporters they intend to raise and spend close to $900 million during the 2016 campaign, a sum that would more than double what the Republican National Committee spent on the 2012 election.

Christie took his most decisive step yet toward a bid early Monday when he announced the formation of a political action committee, which will essentially serve as a campaign-in-waiting. Meanwhile, Romney has acknowledged privately he will decide whether to mount a third White House campaign in the near future, likely within the next two weeks, largely out of fairness to those who are waiting on him to make up his mind.

"I don't think the state of play changes until Mitt decides what to do," said Bobbie Kilberg, a longtime GOP fundraiser from Virginia, who hosted a meet-and-greet for Christie last week but remains uncommitted. "Then you're going to find that donors are really going to be pushed to make a decision."

To be viewed as credible, candidates will be expected to raise the sort of money that powered Romney to the nomination during the last campaign. The former Massachusetts governor collected an average of $215,000 each day from the time he started raising money in 2011 until the start of 2012, a total that ended up at more than $57 million before the first votes were even cast.

Few doubt Christie's ability to raise that kind of cash; he spent much of the last year collecting more than $100 million as the chairman of the Republican Governors Association. Said Mike DuHaime, a senior adviser to the new Christie PAC, "We feel very comfortable we're going to raise what we need." Home Depot billionaire co-founder Ken Langone reiterated Monday that he's eager to start bringing in cash for Christie.

Christie's efforts will be challenged by Bush and, potentially, Romney. Former New Jersey Gov. Tom Kean, for example, is both Christie's longtime political mentor and from a family with ties to the Bushes that reach back four generations. He also supported Romney in 2012.

"To me, it's too early to make a choice until you know everybody who's running," Kean said. Aside from those with deep loyalties to a particular candidate, "An awful lot of the donors are just going to sit back and say, 'Let's see if they're really serious. Let's see how far they're going into it," he said.

Bush has been perhaps the most aggressive in trying to force such decisions. He recently invited Kean to a meeting along with other prominent New Jersey Republicans he's trying to woo in Christie's backyard. Kean declined to attend, citing a scheduling conflict.

For all the pressure from potential candidates on donors to make a commitment, Malek believes every serious contender will be able to raise enough money to mount a serious run. That's due in part to the plans of many top donors to write checks to several candidates, just to play it safe.

Joshua Alcorn, a Democratic fundraiser who helped then-Sen. Joe Biden raise money for his unsuccessful 2008 primary, said he often saw some of his donors also appear on the campaign finance reports of Barack Obama, Hillary Rodham Clinton and John Edwards.

"Bundlers like to hedge their bets a little bit, especially the establishment ones," he said.

http://www.Newsmax.com/US/gop-fundraising-candidates-wait/2015/01/26/id/620833/#ixzz3Q2TgL000