Author Topic: Unifying the Tag Titles?  (Read 2201 times)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
Unifying the Tag Titles?
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:00:52 AM »
John Morrison and The Miz vs The Colons at Wrestlemania will unify the tag titles.  Is the WWE going to scrap one of them and have a single Tag Team Championship?

For the past year, neither tag title has been seen on one specific brand, they have mostly been used across all three, as and when the WWE needed to.  Miz and Morrison are still part of ECW, yet we have seen them on Smackdown more often in recent months.

Add to this the lack of depth in the tag team division.  The only tag teams/individuals used in a tag team currently in the WWE are:

Raw - Cryme Tyme
      - Rhodes and DiBiase
Smackdown - The Colons
                 - Jesse and Festus
                 - Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder
ECW - Miz and Morrison

So, I'm just wondering if this is the beginning of the end of tag teams?  Will they only have a single title?  If so, then it's a real shame, because some of the best performers we've seen have been part of successful tag teams.

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Unifying the Tag Titles?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:34:41 PM »
I think it makes sense to have a single title. The division is so thin, that there was a lack of competition. Hopefully, this means they are at least trying to build it back up.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:47:20 AM »
Titles in the WWE mean nothing anymore.  The should get rid of all the belts that were brought over from WCW

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »
I think it makes sense to have a single title. The division is so thin, that there was a lack of competition. Hopefully, this means they are at least trying to build it back up.

I remember watching wrestling as a kid, there were several good tag teams.  As time marched on, there got to be fewer and fewer. 

I remember in the pre-"hardcore" days, one of the wilder events would be the "Texas Tornado" match which had all four wrestlers in the ring at once. 

~

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »
He's looking at that belt like he's holding his first newborn child.

I think you and Shawn need to get a room!!!!!!

;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 07:05:33 AM »

He's looking at that belt like he's holding his first newborn child.

There's more substance and more story told in that one picture than today's roster can convey in an entire match.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
Especially back then – with WCW & their 18 different belts – Vince could always make his titles “mean” something.
That’s why he took it so hard when Madusa took the women’s title and trashed it on Turner TV.
It's also why I believe his apprehension over Bret leaving as champ in 97.

There’s a story I hear every so often concerning the Iron Sheik.
Apparently, when Sheik had the belt, Verne Gagne called him up and offered him a six figure bonus plus main event push if Sheik would bring the WWWF belt to MN, where Verne would unify it with the AWA belt on TV.
Sheik declined, told Vince Sr. and the McMahon family was forever grateful to Sheik for his loyalty.
Supposedly that is why the Fed always hired him back at various times over the years.