Author Topic: Top 15 Democratic presidential candidates in 2020  (Read 423590 times)

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Re: Top 15 Democratic presidential candidates in 2020
« Reply #700 on: September 05, 2019, 08:24:27 AM »
He done. Like DONE DONE.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #701 on: September 06, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »
Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz formally announces he won't run in 2020

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz announced in a letter to his supporters on Friday that he is formally forgoing an independent presidential run in 2020.

"I have concluded that an independent campaign for the White House is not how I can best serve our country at this time," Schultz writes in a letter to supporters posted on his website.

In the three-page letter, the businessman lays out why he's abandoning a presidential run -- acknowledging the risk that if he ran his name would appear on general election ballots "even if a moderate Democrat wins the nomination" and back issues stemming from April led him to decide not to launch an independent bid.

Critics of Schultz are sure to breathe a sigh of relief, as some Democrat's viewed the former CEO's potential independent candidacy as a sure-way to reelect President Donald Trump—an argument the billionaire now seems to side with after defending his potential candidacy throughout 2019.

The former CEO's never-fully-realized campaign was hinged on the idea that voters were looking for a moderate voice amid growing polarization but often faced criticem for playing both sides of issues without offering substantive plans forward. And in announcing he would not run on Friday, Schultz bemoaned that Americans weren't supportive of independent candidates.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/starbucks-ceo-howard-schultz-formally-announces-run-2020/story%3fid=65427175

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #702 on: September 06, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »
Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz formally announces he won't run in 2020

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz announced in a letter to his supporters on Friday that he is formally forgoing an independent presidential run in 2020.

"I have concluded that an independent campaign for the White House is not how I can best serve our country at this time," Schultz writes in a letter to supporters posted on his website.

In the three-page letter, the businessman lays out why he's abandoning a presidential run -- acknowledging the risk that if he ran his name would appear on general election ballots "even if a moderate Democrat wins the nomination" and back issues stemming from April led him to decide not to launch an independent bid.

Critics of Schultz are sure to breathe a sigh of relief, as some Democrat's viewed the former CEO's potential independent candidacy as a sure-way to reelect President Donald Trump—an argument the billionaire now seems to side with after defending his potential candidacy throughout 2019.

The former CEO's never-fully-realized campaign was hinged on the idea that voters were looking for a moderate voice amid growing polarization but often faced criticem for playing both sides of issues without offering substantive plans forward. And in announcing he would not run on Friday, Schultz bemoaned that Americans weren't supportive of independent candidates.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/starbucks-ceo-howard-schultz-formally-announces-run-2020/story%3fid=65427175

I don't blame him.  Why would we leave his incredible job to go get savaged by the media and politicians, especially when the establishment has already crowned Biden as the nominee? 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #703 on: September 06, 2019, 10:33:17 PM »
'You need to ask first': Iowa teacher blasts Biden for grabbing her hands when she asked him a question

by Naomi Lim
 | September 06, 2019 12:19 PM

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Joe Biden left an Iowa teacher unimpressed with his canned response to her question about collective bargaining, but what she resented more was how he abruptly seized her hands and clung onto them.

Jessica Roman, 41, had stopped Biden, 76, as he greeted voters on Monday during the Hawkeye Area Labor Council's Labor Day picnic in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The North Liberty preschool teacher, who works with special needs children, was pressing the former vice president on his plans to help unionized members of her profession under recent changes to Iowa's collective bargaining laws when he reached for her hands.

"I think that he means well but, you know, he grabbed my hands right away and that was really uncomfortable," she told the Washington Examiner. "He was very close and, in my mind, I'm like, this is part of our problem: Not recognizing that you need to ask first, or can I shake your hand? Not just grab your hands and hang onto them. That bothers me."

The interaction was witnessed by the Washington Examiner and captured on video from two different angles.

Roman, who is leaning toward caucusing for California Sen. Kamala Harris or Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, wanted a more detailed answer to her question about collective bargaining in Iowa, which has a restrictive framework similar to Wisconsin. It was "a very well rehearsed list" that "didn't really speak" to her inquiry, she said.

Biden has been accused by at least eight women of touching them without permission. Amid a furor over the allegations, he said that he accepted that "social norms are changing," adding: "I will be more mindful about respecting personal space in the future. That’s my responsibility, and I will meet it." His wife Jill said that his unwanted contact "won't happen again." Days after his vow to change, however, Biden joked about the allegations.

Despite repeated advice from his staff, Biden still routinely touches women and children at events, whether they like it or not. A spokesman for the campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Roman told the Washington Examiner she had major doubts about Biden's candidacy, his third bid for the White House. "I wouldn't say it's something that I didn't like but, you know, I'm in my 40s, I'm raising a teenager, I work with very young families, and he's not relevant," she said.

"It's been too long since he's raised a family, too long since he's lived on a normal paycheck. I want somebody that actually gets it, that understands what it is to live on the paychecks that we live on, the housing crisis that we have, all of the ways that those things affect us."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/you-need-to-ask-first-iowa-teacher-blasts-biden-for-grabbing-her-hands-when-she-asked-him-a-question

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #704 on: September 07, 2019, 07:41:07 PM »

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #705 on: September 07, 2019, 07:44:12 PM »

And this is all happening about a year before he even steps on stage with Trump.

How much more will his mental facilities have deteriorated by that point?

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #706 on: September 07, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »
'You need to ask first': Iowa teacher blasts Biden for grabbing her hands when she asked him a question

by Naomi Lim
 | September 06, 2019 12:19 PM

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Joe Biden left an Iowa teacher unimpressed with his canned response to her question about collective bargaining, but what she resented more was how he abruptly seized her hands and clung onto them.

Jessica Roman, 41, had stopped Biden, 76, as he greeted voters on Monday during the Hawkeye Area Labor Council's Labor Day picnic in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The North Liberty preschool teacher, who works with special needs children, was pressing the former vice president on his plans to help unionized members of her profession under recent changes to Iowa's collective bargaining laws when he reached for her hands.

"I think that he means well but, you know, he grabbed my hands right away and that was really uncomfortable," she told the Washington Examiner. "He was very close and, in my mind, I'm like, this is part of our problem: Not recognizing that you need to ask first, or can I shake your hand? Not just grab your hands and hang onto them. That bothers me."

The interaction was witnessed by the Washington Examiner and captured on video from two different angles.

Roman, who is leaning toward caucusing for California Sen. Kamala Harris or Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, wanted a more detailed answer to her question about collective bargaining in Iowa, which has a restrictive framework similar to Wisconsin. It was "a very well rehearsed list" that "didn't really speak" to her inquiry, she said.

Biden has been accused by at least eight women of touching them without permission. Amid a furor over the allegations, he said that he accepted that "social norms are changing," adding: "I will be more mindful about respecting personal space in the future. That’s my responsibility, and I will meet it." His wife Jill said that his unwanted contact "won't happen again." Days after his vow to change, however, Biden joked about the allegations.

Despite repeated advice from his staff, Biden still routinely touches women and children at events, whether they like it or not. A spokesman for the campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Roman told the Washington Examiner she had major doubts about Biden's candidacy, his third bid for the White House. "I wouldn't say it's something that I didn't like but, you know, I'm in my 40s, I'm raising a teenager, I work with very young families, and he's not relevant," she said.

"It's been too long since he's raised a family, too long since he's lived on a normal paycheck. I want somebody that actually gets it, that understands what it is to live on the paychecks that we live on, the housing crisis that we have, all of the ways that those things affect us."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/you-need-to-ask-first-iowa-teacher-blasts-biden-for-grabbing-her-hands-when-she-asked-him-a-question

His Biden button is rotated nearly 90 degrees CCW.

I hope he stays upright.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #707 on: September 08, 2019, 03:32:24 PM »
Is Biden taking their support for granted?

Charlamagne tha God: Biden Suffering From ‘White Male Entitlement’

Radio host Charlamagne tha God said former Democratic frontrunner Joe Biden was suffering from "white entitlement and privilege" and his past stances didn't demonstrate support for African Americans.

In an interview with CNN anchor Brooke Baldwin on Friday, he said the support in the polls Biden has from black voters was more a nod to his being Barack Obama's vice president than anything else.

"I think it's more bro-ism than anything," he said. "When I look at Joe Biden and I look at the '94 crime bill and I look at the '88 crack laws, like that's not being in support of African Americans at all."

Charlamagne's show The Breakfast Club has been a popular stop for 2020 Democratic candidates, including South Bend mayor Pete Buttigieg, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D., Mass.), and Sen. Kamala Harris (D., Calif.). However, he revealed Biden had offered to send a black surrogate instead of agreeing to appear on the program himself.

"That tells me a lot about what Joe Biden thinks about our audience," he said. "I think Joe Biden might be suffering from that same white entitlement and privilege and ego where he's just that old-school white male who feels like, ‘Hey, man. They need me. I don't need them. Or, I got them already. So, yeah, my surrogate, my black male surrogate, you go talk to them.' That's not respect."

https://www.freebeacon.com/politics/charlamagne-tha-god-biden-suffering-from-white-male-entitlement/amp/

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #708 on: September 13, 2019, 01:37:50 PM »
A woman in a hot air balloon realizes she is lost.

She lowers her altitude and spots a man fishing from a boat below.

She shouts to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man consults his portable GPS and replies, "You're in a hot air balloon, approximately 30 feet above a ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude.

She rolls her eyes and says, "You must be a Republican!" "I am," replies the man. "How did you know?" "Well," answers the balloonist, "everything you tell me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to do with
your information, and I'm still lost.

Frankly, you're not much help to me." The man smiles and responds, "You must be a Democrat." "I am, replies the balloonist.

"How did you know?" "Well," says the man, "You don't know where you are or where you're going. You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air.

You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and now you expect me to solve your problem.

You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but, somehow, now it's my fault."

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #709 on: September 13, 2019, 02:07:33 PM »
A woman in a hot air balloon realizes she is lost.

She lowers her altitude and spots a man fishing from a boat below.

She shouts to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man consults his portable GPS and replies, "You're in a hot air balloon, approximately 30 feet above a ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude.

She rolls her eyes and says, "You must be a Republican!" "I am," replies the man. "How did you know?" "Well," answers the balloonist, "everything you tell me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to do with
your information, and I'm still lost.

Frankly, you're not much help to me." The man smiles and responds, "You must be a Democrat." "I am, replies the balloonist.

"How did you know?" "Well," says the man, "You don't know where you are or where you're going. You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air.

You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and now you expect me to solve your problem.

You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but, somehow, now it's my fault."

Quoted for teh funny.

Also, how’s tulsi doing?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #710 on: September 13, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »
My prediction is Biden. Not because he is the best, but because Democrats feel his is the safest. But his rambling answers cause some concern. I long for the days I was a child and never felt smarter than the sitting President or the potential next President. Those days are long gone. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #711 on: September 13, 2019, 11:46:48 PM »
My prediction is Biden. Not because he is the best, but because Democrats feel his is the safest. But his rambling answers cause some concern. I long for the days I was a child and never felt smarter than the sitting President or the potential next President. Those days are long gone. 

After watching Wednesday's Democratic Presidential debate, I must say I hope he's not the party's choice. He has nothing new to offer. I'm an old guy who thinks we need intelligent young energetic and robust people in office....not another septuagenarian like Trump, Biden or Sanders.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #712 on: September 14, 2019, 07:41:14 AM »
None of the candidates are really inspiring.  They're just pander, don't answer the question, or outright lie.  Biden was asked point blank twice by the hispanic moderator if all the deportations the Obama administration did were a mistake and he didn't answer.  The moderators should be more forceful.

They didn't even talk about the economy.

Fox should be able to host a democratic debate, and CNN a republican one, then maybe we'd get real questions and answers.

Of all people, Booker probably had the best debate last time.  Buttigieg also appears reasonable, but I don't like a lot of his policies.

Overall, it's a pile of "meh".

Y

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #713 on: September 14, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »

Overall, it's a pile of "meh".

Absolutely. I still can't get any of the hardcore, democratic, anti-Trumpers here to explain a positive policy that would improve America, it's all about hate Trump.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #714 on: September 14, 2019, 11:22:08 AM »
Absolutely. I still can't get any of the hardcore, democratic, anti-Trumpers here to explain a positive policy that would improve America, it's all about hate Trump.

If I had the answer to what your asking and the means to deliver on my promise, I'd run for office and win. -Problem is, folks can't agree on what policies would be an improvement. You cannot please everyone. It is a no win situation. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #715 on: September 14, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »
If I had the answer to what your asking and the means to deliver on my promise, I'd run for office and win. -Problem is, folks can't agree on what policies would be an improvement. You cannot please everyone. It is a no win situation. 

I think that NO current Democratic candidate:

Will improve the econony (mind you, I don't generally believe the President controls this, they are either unlucky or lucky based on the timing of their election with the current economic cycle.  However in Trump's case, I DO believe he inspires confidence in the market)

Will keep our military stong.

Will secure our borders.

Will take the chances to actually try to fix things - NK, China, etc.

So those are the things I'm pretty sure about.

I do believe healthcare, education costs, and our ability to care for our eldery without going broke are all things that need to be fixed, and I won't slam the door on the Democrats in this context.  However, free healthcare for all isn't feasible.  Outside of the cost, i'd have serious concerns around wait times, innovation in this area slowing down, and giving the gov't full control of everything.
Y

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #716 on: September 14, 2019, 02:24:13 PM »
I think that NO current Democratic candidate:

Will improve the econony (mind you, I don't generally believe the President controls this, they are either unlucky or lucky based on the timing of their election with the current economic cycle.  However in Trump's case, I DO believe he inspires confidence in the market)

Will keep our military stong.

Will secure our borders.

Will take the chances to actually try to fix things - NK, China, etc.

So those are the things I'm pretty sure about.

I do believe healthcare, education costs, and our ability to care for our eldery without going broke are all things that need to be fixed, and I won't slam the door on the Democrats in this context.  However, free healthcare for all isn't feasible.  Outside of the cost, i'd have serious concerns around wait times, innovation in this area slowing down, and giving the gov't full control of everything.

...healthcare, education costs, and our ability to care for our elderly without going broke are all things that need to be fixed... I could not agree more. But then, I am bias.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #717 on: September 17, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
Warren continues to gain on Joe.

NBC/WSJ poll: Biden leads Dem 2020 field, Warren's support grows

While Biden dominates among more moderate Democrats and black voters, Warren overperforms among whites and liberals.

Sept. 17, 2019, 3:59 PM CDT / Updated Sept. 17, 2019, 4:04 PM CDT
By Mark Murray
Former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., continue to top the Democratic 2020 presidential field after last week’s debate — in a race for the nomination that breaks along ideological and racial lines, according to a national NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released Tuesday.

The survey also shows that Warren has the advantage in enthusiasm, and that she gets the most second-choice support.

Biden leads the overall horserace with backing from 31 percent of Democratic primary voters (up 5 points since July), while Warren gets 25 percent (up 6 points).

They’re followed by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., at 14 percent (up 1 point), South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg is at 7 percent (unchanged) and Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., at 5 percent (down 8 points).

Entrepreneur Andrew Yang gets support from 4 percent of Democratic primary voters, and Sens. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., and Cory Booker, D-N.J., both get 2 percent.

No other Democratic presidential candidate gets more than 1 percent support in the poll, which was conducted Sept. 13-16 — immediately after Thursday’s debate in Houston.

So despite all of the debates and all the campaigning, the candidates who gained ground since July were the Top 3 of Biden, Warren and Sanders, says Republican pollster Bill McInturff, who conducted this survey with Democratic pollster Peter Hart and his firm.

“The race is more solid for the front-runners than it was in July,” McInturff said.

Important, however, only 9 percent of all Democratic respondents say their minds are definitely made up.

As a result, these numbers could very well change between now and next year’s early nominating contests in Iowa and New Hampshire.

“What we see in September isn’t what we see in December,” said Hart, the Democratic pollster.“There is going to be a change.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/nbc-wsj-poll-biden-leads-dem-2020-field-warren-s-n1055511

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #718 on: September 17, 2019, 06:46:28 PM »
Warren continues to gain on Joe.

NBC/WSJ poll: Biden leads Dem 2020 field, Warren's support grows

While Biden dominates among more moderate Democrats and black voters, Warren overperforms among whites and liberals.

Sept. 17, 2019, 3:59 PM CDT / Updated Sept. 17, 2019, 4:04 PM CDT
By Mark Murray
Former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., continue to top the Democratic 2020 presidential field after last week’s debate — in a race for the nomination that breaks along ideological and racial lines, according to a national NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released Tuesday.

The survey also shows that Warren has the advantage in enthusiasm, and that she gets the most second-choice support.

Biden leads the overall horserace with backing from 31 percent of Democratic primary voters (up 5 points since July), while Warren gets 25 percent (up 6 points).

They’re followed by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., at 14 percent (up 1 point), South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg is at 7 percent (unchanged) and Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., at 5 percent (down 8 points).

Entrepreneur Andrew Yang gets support from 4 percent of Democratic primary voters, and Sens. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., and Cory Booker, D-N.J., both get 2 percent.

No other Democratic presidential candidate gets more than 1 percent support in the poll, which was conducted Sept. 13-16 — immediately after Thursday’s debate in Houston.

So despite all of the debates and all the campaigning, the candidates who gained ground since July were the Top 3 of Biden, Warren and Sanders, says Republican pollster Bill McInturff, who conducted this survey with Democratic pollster Peter Hart and his firm.

“The race is more solid for the front-runners than it was in July,” McInturff said.

Important, however, only 9 percent of all Democratic respondents say their minds are definitely made up.

As a result, these numbers could very well change between now and next year’s early nominating contests in Iowa and New Hampshire.

“What we see in September isn’t what we see in December,” said Hart, the Democratic pollster.“There is going to be a change.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/nbc-wsj-poll-biden-leads-dem-2020-field-warren-s-n1055511

Unreal that Biden, Warren, and Sanders are the top three candidates.  I'm sure they could do worse, but all three are absolutely horrible. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #720 on: September 18, 2019, 06:39:18 AM »
If Trump proved anything, it was that running for high office is more about branding and feelings then policy details.
People often vote for who they LIKE, not the one with the most knowledge.

Politics is very different from most other "contests".
In sports, the most skilled and talented tends to win.
In academics the smartest tend to get the best grades on tests.
We want to get operated on by the most skilled surgeon or our taxes prepared by the most knowledgeable CPA.

For example, I was a strong supporter of Ron Paul in a previous election.
Here was an MD with over 20 yrs in congress who served as an Air Force doc in Viet Nam.
His knowledge base , character and experience was outstanding.
BUT he was short and lacked the charisma of a front runner for President.
So, he never had a real shot at the GOP nomination.

The most experienced and knowledgeable candidates rarely gain traction with the masses.

There's your main man, Howie.

Ah but isn't he just so STEADFAST and VALIANT when his dementia kicks in.

Putting over 600 million non-existent women to work... that's gonna be quite the feat!

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on Tuesday made the incredible claim that his proposed child tax credit would "put 720 million women back in the workforce."

https://freebeacon.com/politics/biden-child-tax-credit-will-put-720-million-women-back-in-the-workforce/

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #721 on: September 18, 2019, 07:21:41 AM »
If Trump proved anything, it was that running for high office is more about branding and feelings then policy details.

Brilliant insight.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #722 on: September 18, 2019, 08:30:48 AM »
Thanks.
My wife and I used to be very involved in the libertarian party.
I considered running for state office as a libertarian once.

At a candidate workshop , they told us the number 1 thing was to be liked by voters.
After that experience, I gave up even thinking of running for any office.

Of course when you're liked by some , the others will dislike you.
They key is to get the number of likes to be a bit bigger . ;)

John McCain proved in 2000 , you can't be 100% candid and honest to be elected with his straight talk express.
People want to be told, what they want to hear...even if they know it's bullshit.
For example, " Mexico will pay for the wall" , was always total fiction.

BUT, most of the Trump supporters cheered wildly when he said it.

Thank you for now taking two paragraphs to explain to us that people vote for people they like.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #723 on: September 18, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
Thank you for now taking two paragraphs to explain to us that people vote for people they like.

Although I must admit it will be entertaining to watch Howard defend this poor old man who is clearly losing his mind over the coming months. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #724 on: September 18, 2019, 09:26:21 AM »
Your dream girl Hillary ran on what issues ?

Politics is very different from most other "contests".
In sports, the most skilled and talented tends to win.
In academics the smartest tend to get the best grades on tests.
We want to get operated on by the most skilled surgeon or our taxes prepared by the most knowledgeable CPA.

For example, I was a strong supporter of Ron Paul in a previous election.
Here was an MD with over 20 yrs in congress who served as an Air Force doc in Viet Nam.
His knowledge base , character and experience was outstanding.
BUT he was short and lacked the charisma of a front runner for President.
So, he never had a real shot at the GOP nomination.

The most experienced and knowledgeable candidates rarely gain traction with the masses.