Author Topic: ARE BCAA'S WORTH IT  (Read 2945 times)

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
ARE BCAA'S WORTH IT
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:58:21 PM »
DISCUSS BITCHES

physicsgeek

• Getbig II
Re: ARE BCAA'S WORTH IT
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 07:30:09 AM »
I stopped using them and I didn't notice a difference!

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:42:43 AM »
I like them.  Will they give you steroid-like results? No.  But for pre and during workout nutrition, they are good.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
just eat healthy ::)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:46:55 AM »
no steroid like results???????

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:48:36 AM »
I hate the State.

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:51:47 AM »
no steroid like results???????
He asked are BCAA's worth it?  I just explained they are a good supplement, but not something you are going to see extraordinary results from. 

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »
what the hell is wrong with food?

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 07:55:57 AM »
I don't think anyone said there is anything wrong with food.  Food is by far the most important part of good nutrition.  Almost all supplements are shit.  Some actually have some validity.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 07:58:27 AM »
bcaa's are just another scam pulled by the supp biz.  the only reason people buy them is because of the nonsense they read in the rags.  sucker born every minute i guess.  eat up!

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 08:04:48 AM »
Here is just one study:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16424141?dopt=Abstract
If you want more, you can let me know.

MethodGNA

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Been Real_Been Nice...But it Hasn't Been Real Nice
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 08:06:04 AM »
bcaa's are just another scam pulled by the supp biz.  the only reason people buy them is because of the nonsense they read in the rags.  sucker born every minute i guess.  eat up!

^
give this man a sticker, he gets the "im not a sheep who gets manipulated by greedy and dishonest supplement companies" award for today :D :D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 08:06:38 AM »

Do you reject protein powder as well?
I hate the State.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 08:09:43 AM »
Here is just one study:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16424141?dopt=Abstract
If you want more, you can let me know.

thanks for the study.  perhaps you should have read it before posting it.  their study involved "Young healthy female and male adults, who did not take regular exercise, were recruited, and 16 female and 14 male subjects aged 21–24 y old participated".  this study has no relevance to those who regularly participate in exercise.

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 08:13:03 AM »

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 08:15:55 AM »
Do you reject protein powder as well?

First, I am not convinced that the powder making process preserves the nutritional value.  They bake the shit out of that stuff.  Why doesn't that degrade the nutritional value of the protein?  Second, if you can eat whole food, why not do it?  It is cheaper and generally doesn't give you the shits.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »
First, I am not convinced that the powder making process preserves the nutritional value.  They bake the shit out of that stuff.  Why doesn't that degrade the nutritional value of the protein?  Second, if you can eat whole food, why not do it?  It is cheaper and generally doesn't give you the shits.

Definitely not cheaper. If you can afford it, go for real food.

Powder is MUCH more convenient...
I hate the State.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »
Do you like this one better ;D  http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/281/2/E197

Are you serious?  This study is even more flawed (for your argument) than the previous one.  Involved only 6 people, half given the placebo, and the study did not even contain a control group.  you're making yourself look stupid now.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 08:23:48 AM »
I stopped using them and I didn't notice a difference!
really?how much per day and for how long,as per gettony who posts here,says 20grams per day and 50 glutamine.

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 08:27:23 AM »
Sarcasm is definitely hard to show through typing, hence the smiley face.  There are not many good studies on this.  Unfortunately, I don't think many people payed attention in their Statistics classes before doing any of their studies.  The term, Power, comes to mind.

Have you tried them yourself?  Just a question.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 08:40:21 AM »
Sarcasm is definitely hard to show through typing, hence the smiley face.  There are not many good studies on this.  Unfortunately, I don't think many people payed attention in their Statistics classes before doing any of their studies.  The term, Power, comes to mind.

Have you tried them yourself?  Just a question.

Sorry, didn't pick up the sarcasm.  Those are the types of studies that the supp companies latch onto as pseudo-scientific proof of the efficacy of their product.  The old timers around here will remember the supp BORON.  According to the supp companies it was scientifically proven to increase testosterone like 150%.  They even cited the study!  Unfortunately, some lifters can actually read and looked up the study.   Come to find out the study the supp companies were citing was of the effect of boron administration on post menopausal WOMEN!

I have not tried BCAAs.  Nor have I tried alot of the shit on the market.  Why waste money on that when you have a tried and test option at your disposal--whole food!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »

I'm not loyal to BCAAs, but have included them occasionally in my self-improvement program. 

Likewise, I haven't been loyal to glutamine either, but have used it a few times before bedtime following especially challenging workouts. 

I cannot say whether either is helping me, but psychologically, the glutamine may be helpful.  It's tough for me to measure the effect - if any - of the BCAAs, but I believe one of the reasons people don't mind buying them is that they're cheap.  Losing $9 on a 6-8 week supply doesn't bother many people, I would imagine.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »
I'm not loyal to BCAAs, but have included them occasionally in my self-improvement program. 

Likewise, I haven't been loyal to glutamine either, but have used it a few times before bedtime following especially challenging workouts. 

I cannot say whether either is helping me, but psychologically, the glutamine may be helpful.  It's tough for me to measure the effect - if any - of the BCAAs, but I believe one of the reasons people don't mind buying them is that they're cheap.  Losing $9 on a 6-8 week supply doesn't bother many people, I would imagine.

You even sound angry here.... :-\
I hate the State.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »

sup·ple·ment  (spl-mnt)
n.
1. Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.
2. A section added to a book or document to give further information or to correct errors.
3. A separate section devoted to a special subject inserted into a periodical, such as a newspaper.
4. Mathematics The angle or arc that when added to a given angle or arc makes 180° or a semicircle. Also called supplementary angle

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »
You even sound angry here.... :-\

Had a good day at Six Flags with the kids and my baby mama (who tried to start a fight with some trashy Latino chick in the line for the tram to the entrance! lol) , followed by a great workout late last night. 

So, I should be in a good mood, right?  WRONG.

After fasting night before last, my freaken requisition form never came until late yesterday, so that meant having to fast *again* last night. 

I'm definitely angry >:( ...for one more hour, then donut!!   ;D