Author Topic: Gary Strydom at his best.  (Read 23444 times)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Gary Strydom at his best.
« on: March 13, 2006, 03:45:09 PM »
1991 WBF.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
Re: Gary Strydom at his best.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 04:23:21 PM »
Gary was pretty tall too, that makes him more impressive.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 04:40:59 PM »
the only thing (other than his biceps) that kept Gary from winning everything in sight was his lack of a back.  That really hurt him through much of his career.

Well, that and the hair piece!
:-*
Flower Boy Ran Away

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 04:50:41 PM »
Gary at his best wasnt half back......... i mean half bad , he wasnt half bad..
L

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 04:51:44 PM »
I have an old Musclemag article with Gary Strydom talking about his experimentation with low carb, moderate protein, and high fat diet. 

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 04:53:13 PM »
Strydom rocked. There is the best picture of him at my gym. It appears to have been taken during a seminar, which I think is shown on one of the superstars of muscle tapes. He is pulling a hands clasped in front most muscular in just bike shorts. The man just looks just unreal. Cuts and striations everywhere. Most impressive picture ive just about ever seen in my opinion. Have never seen it on the net though, but would love to get a copy

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 05:07:29 PM »
Strydom rocked. There is the best picture of him at my gym. It appears to have been taken during a seminar, which I think is shown on one of the superstars of muscle tapes. He is pulling a hands clasped in front most muscular in just bike shorts. The man just looks just unreal. Cuts and striations everywhere. Most impressive picture ive just about ever seen in my opinion. Have never seen it on the net though, but would love to get a copy

Was it in this series Tony?

If so, I have the program on DVD and I can get some screenshots up when I get back to my home  computer.  Quality would be the same as what you see above.

As for Gary's height - one of the few pros with height.  I can't envy a pro who is shorter than I am (around 5'9 or so) given that I think my height is very borderline as it is.  Anything shorter is seriously pushing it.  Gary was 6'1.  Here are some other 6'1 beasts of bodybuilding:

- Paul Dillett
- Gunter Schlierkamp
- Berry Demay
- Mike Christian

All 6'1 and big as hell (230+ in contest condition).

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 05:41:51 PM »
http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/muscletime4theproworld

These pictures definitely impressed me.  They were from the DVD "Muscletime No. 4 - The Pro World II".

This was one of the best combos of size, shape, and conditioning that I have seen, all the more impressive given that it is 15 years old.

What I want to know is - what the hell was Gary's stack?   ??? ??? ???

BUY IT HERE

:o :o :o

That is a LOT of ripped muscle. Very high quality physique. In 1991, he could have possibly defeated Haney and Yates at the Olympia. His back looked very good that year.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 05:59:59 PM »
I had a muscle and fitness with the 1987 night of champions. He had incredible legs biggest in the show.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 06:14:53 PM »
I forgot how good his calves were :o
Flower Boy Ran Away

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 06:34:34 PM »
He also was near contest shape year round ,wbf made him a lot of money.He should have a least made up for that 88 olympia when he overdieted though.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 06:48:21 PM »
He also was near contest shape year round ,wbf made him a lot of money.He should have a least made up for that 88 olympia when he overdieted though.

Lets say he did not go to the WBF.....and lets say he never won an Olympia title.....we still would have had some awesome battles with Flex, Shawn, Francios, Dillett, Nasser, and Levrone. He would have been in their class if he didnt get side tracked.

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 07:34:29 PM »

Lets say he did not go to the WBF.....and lets say he never won an Olympia title.....we still would have had some awesome battles with Flex, Shawn, Francios, Dillett, Nasser, and Levrone. He would have been in their class if he didnt get side tracked.

yes but his back was worse then Nasser and Dilletts...From the front he would had held his own and then some with these guys but when ever he turned around, it looked like a different person...

Aerian

• Getbig IV
  • "Yumm yumm give me some"
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 07:37:33 PM »
yes but his back was worse then Nasser and Dilletts...From the front he would had held his own and then some with these guys but when ever he turned around, it looked like a different person...

lol worse then dilletts!!! i think not
Wait for it....

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 07:43:29 PM »
If Strydom had a back, he would have won several Mr. Olympia's.  He had quite possibly the best delts and front taper of any bodybuilder in the last twenty years.  I really liked him, but when he turned around Haney and Dorian just crushed him.  He would have placed behind Vince Taylor at the 1991 Mr. O.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 07:58:44 PM »
These guys with no backs (Dillett, Gunter, Strydom), all have the distinction of being 6'1.  It's probably just a lot harder to look big at that height.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 08:01:27 PM »
He probably for his era go down as one of the biggest at 260 ,one of the best shaped and freakiest bodyparts seen on a bber.he will always be dogged with could i have beat haney during 91 and 92 pro seasons.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 08:10:28 PM »
Conditioning back in the late 80's and 90's were superior compared to todays standards. Strydoms pics prove it!

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 08:16:17 PM »
Gary looked so awesome at this event that he tried to leave multiple times but as soon as he did he came back to give the crowd more and they just cheered like crazy.

I can only imagine how imposing this guy would look in person at 6'1.  These are linebacker proportions.

Two pictures of Gary leaving:

SwingGuru

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 08:59:58 PM »
Gary looked so awesome at this event that he tried to leave multiple times but as soon as he did he came back to give the crowd more and they just cheered like crazy.

I can only imagine how imposing this guy would look in person at 6'1.  These are linebacker proportions.

Two pictures of Gary leaving:

Looking great, 'cept for the hyuuuge gyno.  Wonder how many grams of Test he was pumping a day?

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 09:06:27 PM »
that isn't huge gyno wtf..

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 09:09:04 PM »
that isn't huge gyno wtf..

Yeah, I think it's noticeable, but not huge.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 06:19:24 AM »
awsome, best shots I've seen in awhile..
nasser=piece of shit

GreatFinn

• Getbig III
  • Havuja, perkele!?!
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 07:36:32 AM »
Gary was pretty tall too, that makes him more impressive.

This dude was the first pro bodybuilder who I have seen in person, and yes; he was huge. It was something like 1987, when I went to Gold's Gym were I used to do my workouts, and I was just walked in and step on the stationary-bike for the warm up, when door opens and Gary and a rest of the competitors of the Finnish grand prix walked in. I almost fell over with that f*king bike when I see that monster. Gary take a bike next to mine, and he look amazing. I am 178cm(5'10") tall, and I weight just about 210lbs, but I look like a midget compared to him. I have never feel so small, never ever anywhere. Back then he was famous about his multirep-sets, and I was looking when he did some leg presses. There was an horizontal leg press which he choose, and he load it up to max, so there was something like 200 kilos (~400lbs) to work with. He start to do his reps, and after an half an hour he was still doing first set. There was buckets around the pressing machine to keep all sweat from dripping to the floor  ;D

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 07:50:38 AM »
I think Gary hit his peak in the WBF where he had the finances to truly help build the body he wanted. Rumors were rampant that he got anywhere from $250 - $350K per year as he was supposed to be the face of the WBF.

He had those cannonball delts. In all honesty if he had continued his IFBB ways I personally dont think he would of acheived the true growth as stated in my first paragraph....

Look at the money shot below....phenomenal