Author Topic: Any of you ever build a power rack out of wood?  (Read 8178 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Any of you ever build a power rack out of wood?
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »
Don't need much in construction skills, pretty simple building a good solid PR out of basic wood.

4X4 wood will last a very long time (even if left outdoors). Can build it to custom fit your personal needs; like height, width,overhead lifts, squats/DL's, benches, etc. For the  pin's I've used  cold rolled steel, cut to whatever length.  Might need 2 to 4 pins, requiring on the type of workout you intend to do..

I've set the base in  cement formed wooden blocks/boxes, about 8 to 9 inches deep, pretty solid. Can buy bags of  cement mix (just add water) fairly cheap. Or build the bottom supports like the PR shown on that backyard patio. The cross braces/members, upper and lower, are also easy to set up..

Will need a heavier duty power drill, which you can rent for so many hours or by the day. Which usually includes different drill bits. Need a larger bit for the pin holes. Can us a hand held power saw (cheap), or if you want a great bicep/tricep pump, use a hand wood saw. Also need gussets/angels, preferred screwed in.. nails as a second choice.

Wouldn't cost a lot of bucks at all, depending on where you live and get your materials, rental fees (if needed) ...saying a little above $50, if that. Compared to buying one of line, the shipping may be a quarter to a third the cost of that PR you just bought.

Can set up a PR for dipping, chins, cable work, etc.

Good Luck.

Good Luck.
F

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
I have a full squat cage, and use the stands for supersets, or to rack the yoke I have for yoke walks.  My apologies that it works.
no apologies needed. Cant say it lasted 5 years if you haven't be using it.
A

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2016, 06:11:03 PM »
no apologies needed. Cant say it lasted 5 years if you haven't be using it.

I use it all the time.

4 x 4 pressure treated wood is strong - it's used to support decks - plus it has alloy caps on the top to hold the weight.
Y

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2016, 06:39:48 PM »
Do you really think someone who doesn't do woodwork regularly is gonna make a diagonal cut with a cross cut saw without it looking like shit?

While far from a professional carpenter, I do have some training. If I were to attempt building that rack, I'd probably get it done, eventually, but there would be numerous fuck ups along the way.

Nah, you'd do fine.  Plenty of good work got done before electricity.  Besides, it's good for you.  You're gonna learn real quick the importance of a sharp blade, effective workholding, etc, when it's your arm making the cut instead of a motor.  Then you graduate to the motor.  From what I've seen out there, the opposite of skill is horsepower.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »
A basic PR should only take between 4 to 6 steady hours to build. If someone is not familiar with simple tools, which only requires a bit of common sense, than might as well buy a ready made PR...it's your money. If mounting in quick cement forms, that usually sets and is completed in a good 24 hours. Should have the pins cut to size and slide in by than.

It's not like being asked to build a rocket to the moon, pretty basic handy man stuff. All 90 degree angles, nothing has to be a diagonal cut. That's where gussets /support braces come in.

4X4's are a basic support, used in all kinds of building structures. Could also use 4X6's, but than again, what's the point when 4X4's are well able to do the job. And 4X6's are a lot more money.

Good Luck.
F

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2016, 10:28:54 PM »
the holes will have to be drilled in a drill press otherwise they will not run straight and level through the timber. otherwise the rest of the job is pretty basic, a cheap mitre box and handsaw will suffice if the person dosent own a powered mitre saw.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2016, 11:56:55 PM »
Looks like you'd need a Miter Saw for the diagonal cuts on the braces. A decent one costs about $400, and, if you aren't adept with this piece of equipment, you might end the job with fewer fingers from when you started.

Yet what equipment do you need to weld one? Miter saw for cutting steel, welding equipment, a cock-ton of drill bits for all the holes... Building a wooden rack can be done with the tools almost every household has.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »
Must suck being poor...

Years ago I built one out of hardwood. Cost me twice what a metal rack would have cost. But I actually liked it better, much greater versatility. Want a new pin height? Just grab a drill. Want a band attachment anywhere? Pre-drill holes and screw in some long bolts. And all this drilling can be done with one generic wood bit, instead of needing an oil-cooled bit for drilling steel.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2016, 04:02:38 AM »

a

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2016, 08:23:01 AM »
Posted this a year or two ago but check out these Guys. Fucking Red neck Dudes training in the Back Yard. :)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2016, 09:17:56 AM »
Posted this a year or two ago but check out these Guys. Fucking Red neck Dudes training in the Back Yard. :)

That looks solid and well anchored. When he was doing Military Presses with 225, there was a lot of forward force when he put the bar back, and the rack barely budged.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »

Can't stand it when guys hang this shit in their shop.  It's your work space, you greasy, middle-aged adolescent.  Leave the wanking material at home.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2016, 09:22:57 AM »
That looks solid and well anchored. When he was doing Military Presses with 225, there was a lot of forward force when he put the bar back, and the rack barely budged.
He has put up some pretty good videos. His Lying extensions or skull crushers are quite impressive. I just like the raw basics workouts and how he built it all  :)

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »

good equipment but his pickup and set down of the looks back breaking over time
c

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »
good equipment but his pickup and set down of the looks back breaking over time

It's all "Young and Dumb" training. Been there. Done that. None of it is good for you in the long run: from the back bending to the knees buckling, to the bar digging into the cervical area.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2016, 03:44:12 AM »

Even though they are labeled as "rednecks", that rig looks well thought-out. The base is poured concrete and the 4 4x4 posts that make up the structural are secured in the concrete. That rig ain't going nowhere.