Author Topic: Opinions on car amps  (Read 2497 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Re: Opinions on car amps
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
Lots of getbiggers throwing up pics of cars in this thread that likely are not paid off.
I hate when people say that. Its just like a house. Most people dont have that kind of money to pay these things off outright. They are bills just like anything else.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »
Ok so you say that there is no room for subs when the top stows. Where did you have the subs, sitting on the floor in the back ?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
I hate when people say that. Its just like a house. Most people dont have that kind of money to pay these things off outright. They are bills just like anything else.
The cost of cars are falsely inflated for that very reason.  They know people don`t pay them off from the start, so they over inflate the price.  Its quite a good racket they have going.  There are so many used cars you actually could buy and pay for outright, good ones too, yet people don`t always spring for that option for whatever reason.  The psychology behind it is interesting.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »
Ok so you say that there is no room for subs when the top stows. Where did you have the subs, sitting on the floor in the back ?

I didn't have any subs in here.  The HK system comes with it's own "sub"  But it isn't a true sub like one would think.  Not like a 15" in an enclosure.  It is basically a bass speaker mounted in the space between the two back seats.  This HK system that was in the car has 12 speakers.  But 6 of them are basically small tweeters that are good for nothing but highs and some mid range.  Like the ones mounted inside the car up besides the side mirrors.   The Punch 45s were not very powerful amps, but they were enough to boost the other bigger speakers like the front door panels, rear door panels, and behind the rear head rest.  

The trunk isn't very big at all in the first place and when the tops is put down it takes up about 2/3 of the space in the trunk.  So you can't get much in there.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

I respectfully disagree my friend the oracle of getbig.  A car payment is debt pure and simple. The value of a new car drops like a rock when drive off the lot and on loses 60% of its value the first 4 years. A home mortgage while debt is still an investment.

Car=liability.
House=asset.

With that said I do like the new Challengers though, nice ride.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »
I didn't have any subs in here.  The HK system comes with it's own "sub"  But it isn't a true sub like one would think.  Not like a 15" in an enclosure.  It is basically a bass speaker mounted in the space between the two back seats.  This HK system that was in the car has 12 speakers.  But 6 of them are basically small tweeters that are good for nothing but highs and some mid range.  Like the ones mounted inside the car up besides the side mirrors.   The Punch 45s were not very powerful amps, but they were enough to boost the other bigger speakers like the front door panels, rear door panels, and behind the rear head rest.  

The trunk isn't very big at all in the first place and when the tops is put down it takes up about 2/3 of the space in the trunk.  So you can't get much in there.

Ok, i just question the practice of jury-rigging aftermarket subs and an amp into a high end vehicle. You asking questions about amps leads me to believe your doing it yourself...good luck with that, the electronics in those cars are no joke. If you put a load on something that's not supposed to have one, have a grounding issue and you can fry your cars system, and you voided the warranty so it's your problem.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »
The cost of cars are falsely inflated for that very reason.  They know people don`t pay them off from the start, so they over inflate the price.  Its quite a good racket they have going.  There are so many used cars you actually could buy and pay for outright, good ones too, yet people don`t always spring for that option for whatever reason.  The psychology behind it is interesting.
I have never been smart like that. I get bored of cars after a few years. Probably trade the Challenger in before I pay it off.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
JL audio and Kicker.

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »
$12,800 in damage already.  That is not counting the axle being broke off at each end, or the shock absorbers coming up through the engine compartment or the frame damage.  They rough guesstimate everything will be over $42,000.

When it was sitting in the driveway, it looked minor.  Up on the rack was a whole another story though.
hahahah

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »
i haven't bought a system since college. Changing a modern "head unit" is a pain in the ass since everything is built in.
But i used to be a fan of kenwood... Are they still good? lol

and FYI Mercedes sucks. My whole family has had nothing but problems with those POS. I would buy a dodge over a mercedes. yes they suck that much.
A

NotSure

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »
They are.  Its a myth that they aren`t.  Mercedes has been ranked very low by Consumer Reports as far as quality goes for a lot of years.  I own a Mercedes by the way.  ;)
When did you get a mercedes? I thought you were driving dumbalines little bug with the flower in it?

NotSure

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 05:51:27 PM »
Funny you mention that. I have no interest in cars what so ever. As long as it is somewhat presentable and gets me around cheaply then im happy. I don't ever foresee myself buying a new car unless i ahve stupid money.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »
Funny you mention that. I have no interest in cars what so ever. As long as it is somewhat presentable and gets me around cheaply then im happy. I don't ever foresee myself buying a new car unless i ahve stupid money.
Thats that exact opposite of my thinking. I was never able to afford the kinds of cars I wanted new. So I was very pleased when I was finally able to get a brand new car.  There is no greater sense of security than having a nice warranty, and complimetary 2 year free maintenance.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 07:25:09 PM »
When did you get a mercedes? I thought you were driving dumbalines little bug with the flower in it?
I`ve had it since 2006 actually.  Dumbaline and I bought an old Diesel Ford Truck not too long ago to haul and carry things around.  Bugalines Turbo Roach sucks. One day I might buy another old Cadillac or something from the 50s,60s, 70s or whatever.  I haven`t messed around with cars since I had that 1960 Plymouth Fury in 2005.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
Yah, I like older cars much better.  I don`t think I would buy a brand new car ever either.  If I was buying something for fun, I would buy an old classic, drive it and if I wanted to sell it, I`d do so at a profit.  No point in flushing money down the toilet when you don`t have to.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »
Ok, i just question the practice of jury-rigging aftermarket subs and an amp into a high end vehicle. You asking questions about amps leads me to believe your doing it yourself...good luck with that, the electronics in those cars are no joke. If you put a load on something that's not supposed to have one, have a grounding issue and you can fry your cars system, and you voided the warranty so it's your problem.

Oh god no.  I can't install any crap like that myself.  I take it down to the Import shop for them to do it.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 07:29:41 PM »
Perhaps I would too if American cars were made to the same quality and performance of German engineering. 

German cars of the late 70s-80s were rock solid, Audi and Mercedes especially.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
Why would anyone spend a lot of money of a hifi car audio system? You're in a small box with many potentially vibrating parts, when driving there is wheel and engine noise, non-insulated glass, airco noise, etc. So the only time music will sound right is when you're standing still, in a quiet park or your garage, with the engine off, and no wind. Ridiculous waste of money. Better off buying a high quality player and a good noise-cancelling pair of IEMs. Much cheaper, no installation required, better sound quality, and you can use them everywhere else too.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:13 AM »
Why would anyone spend a lot of money of a hifi car audio system? You're in a small box with many potentially vibrating parts, when driving there is wheel and engine noise, non-insulated glass, airco noise, etc. So the only time music will sound right is when you're standing still, in a quiet park or your garage, with the engine off, and no wind. Ridiculous waste of money. Better off buying a high quality player and a good noise-cancelling pair of IEMs. Much cheaper, no installation required, better sound quality, and you can use them everywhere else too.

No one has never been more right in this forum as you are just now. There isn't any point to spend money to build the high end system in some crappy car just because you want to blow your ears off. These guys are those who are cruising on the streets and you hear them coming 5 minutes before you see them. One common factor among these idiots is this: all of them have hearing disabilities before they reach age of 40. All of them need hearing aid before they reach age of 60. Why? Everything over 100dB will do permanent damage to your hearing, every fucking time. It doesn't heal, it only get worse. So if these morons want to talk with their grandchildren's, they need to learn sign language.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 03:21:09 AM »
No one has never been more right in this forum as you are just now. There isn't any point to spend money to build the high end system in some crappy car just because you want to blow your ears off. These guys are those who are cruising on the streets and you hear them coming 5 minutes before you see them. One common factor among these idiots is this: all of them have hearing disabilities before they reach age of 40. All of them need hearing aid before they reach age of 60. Why? Everything over 100dB will do permanent damage to your hearing, every fucking time. It doesn't heal, it only get worse. So if these morons want to talk with their grandchildren's, they need to learn sign language.

Thanks. Got this wisdom from a great source: my father. Who had his own car dealership, and frequently installed ridiculously overpriced car audio systems. He laughed his ass off at those delusionites.

Then again: those idiots paid for my Commodore 64, so I'm not complaining. ;D

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 07:11:49 AM »

So you can hear the music over the car noise?  Although my car was extremely quiet when driving.  Unless I had the A/C blowing full blast.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 07:14:31 AM »
So you can hear the music over the car noise?  Although my car was extremely quiet when driving.  Unless I had the A/C blowing full blast.
The bottom line is that a 2012 Mercedes should have all of the sound you nead already.