Author Topic: Mexico court clears way for 'Dog' Chapman extradition  (Read 4139 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Mexico court clears way for 'Dog' Chapman extradition
« on: February 15, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »
An absolute travesty.  I may boycott Mexican food (for at least a week) if they convict the Dog.   :'(

Advertiser Staff and News Services

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — A federal court has cleared the way for TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman to be extradited to face charges in Mexico, court officials said today.
Norma Jara, a spokeswoman for the second district court in Guadalajara, said the court rejected Chapman's injunction request, ruling there was no reason not to try him with deprivation of liberty.

Chapman's lawyers argued he would not be guaranteed a fair trial in Mexico, Jara said.

The charges against the 53-year-old star of the A&E reality series "Dog the Bounty Hunter" stem from his June 2003 capture of convicted rapist Andrew Luster, the Max Factor heir, in Puerto Vallarta, 210 miles west of Guadalajara.

Luster had fled from California six months earlier. His disappearance set off an international manhunt by police, FBI and bounty hunters trying to recoup some of the bond money.

Luster's capture shot Chapman, a Honolulu-based bounty hunter, to fame and led to the TV series. Luster is now serving a 124-year prison term in California.

Duane Chapman, his son Leland Chapman and an associate, Tim Chapman (no relation), were arrested by Mexican authorities the morning after they had caught Luster.

The three posted bail, then later left Mexico. Last month, they were arrested in Honolulu and held overnight at the Federal Detention Center before they were released on $300,000 bail. They face up to four years in a Mexican jail if convicted.

The arrests have sparked a nationwide protest by supporters trying to halt the extradition of the popular TV star and the two other men.

The Chapmans' attorneys also said they were providing the Mexican court with evidence that the three were not trying to leave Mexico with Luster, but were headed to a Mexican police station to turn him in when they got arrested.

Brook Hart, Duane Chapman's Honolulu attorney, said Chapman thought he could legally arrest Luster under the Mexican constitution because Luster had violated Mexican law by entering the country under a false name. In addition, the Chapmans were with a man they believed was an on-duty Mexican police officer when they caught Luster, and they later left the country on the "faulty" advice of a Mexican lawyer who told them they could leave, Hart said.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Feb/15/br/br6301527498.html

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Mexico court clears way for 'Dog' Chapman extradition
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:48:05 PM »
I can't believe this bullshit is still going on...

FUCKING CHRIST!!! The guy does the world a service and this is how we thank him? I know, I know... everyone has heard it all before, but damn it... This is just a fucking travesty.

This is the kinda shit that makes people think Mexicans are scummy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 11:54:25 PM »
Yep.  I watched a documentary on Andrew Luster the other day.  One of the worst scumbag criminals I've ever seen.  Dog did women in both the U.S. and Mexico a huge favor.  Ingrates.   >:(

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:14:43 AM »
Mexico is Mexican jurisdiction.

Why Chapman doesn't grasp such basic logic, is the big question.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:03 AM »
Mexico is Mexican jurisdiction.

Why Chapman doesn't grasp such basic logic, is the big question.

-Hedge

Come on man... He gets it... He thought he was doing everything by the book.

If Mexico is Mexican jurisdiction, and the US is American jurisdiction, then why are we deporting our American guy? You know the State Department could make this go away in about 3 seconds if they wanted to.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 12:19:41 AM »
Come on man... He gets it... He thought he was doing everything by the book.

If Mexico is Mexican jurisdiction, and the US is American jurisdiction, then why are we deporting our American guy? You know the State Department could make this go away in about 3 seconds if they wanted to.

There is an extradiction agreement perhaps?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 12:26:05 AM »
There is an extradiction agreement perhaps?

-Hedge

Funny... They wouldn't extradite Luster...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 12:30:55 AM »
Funny... They wouldn't extradite Luster...

They did.

He is serving in California right now.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 12:34:05 AM »
They did.

He is serving in California right now.

-Hedge

No, that's because Dog brought him back... Mexico didn't even look for the guy... He was spending money in Puerto Vallarta like it was growing out his ass and they never even looked twice.

He still thought he was doing the right thing... He had gotten a local cop to help him, but yet he did something wrong?

When was the last time a cop worked with someone, but they were in the wrong when it came to catching a criminal?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 12:39:35 AM »
No, that's because Dog brought him back... Mexico didn't even look for the guy... He was spending money in Puerto Vallarta like it was growing out his ass and they never even looked twice.

He still thought he was doing the right thing... He had gotten a local cop to help him, but yet he did something wrong?

When was the last time a cop worked with someone, but they were in the wrong when it came to catching a criminal?

I thought Chapman was arrested in Mexico while catching Luster?

Which means that the Mexican authorities must've turned over Luster to US authorities.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 12:40:38 AM »
I thought Chapman was arrested in Mexico while catching Luster?

Which means that the Mexican authorities must've turned over Luster to US authorities.

-Hedge

Yes, my point was that they would not have even had that without Dog.

He led them (off duty cop) to Luster and apprehended him then... (With cop)... How did he do something wrong?

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 12:56:51 AM »
An absolute travesty.  I may boycott Mexican food (for at least a week) if they convict the Dog.   :'(

Advertiser Staff and News Services

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — A federal court has cleared the way for TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman to be extradited to face charges in Mexico, court officials said today.
Norma Jara, a spokeswoman for the second district court in Guadalajara, said the court rejected Chapman's injunction request, ruling there was no reason not to try him with deprivation of liberty.

Chapman's lawyers argued he would not be guaranteed a fair trial in Mexico, Jara said.

The charges against the 53-year-old star of the A&E reality series "Dog the Bounty Hunter" stem from his June 2003 capture of convicted rapist Andrew Luster, the Max Factor heir, in Puerto Vallarta, 210 miles west of Guadalajara.

Luster had fled from California six months earlier. His disappearance set off an international manhunt by police, FBI and bounty hunters trying to recoup some of the bond money.

Luster's capture shot Chapman, a Honolulu-based bounty hunter, to fame and led to the TV series. Luster is now serving a 124-year prison term in California.

Duane Chapman, his son Leland Chapman and an associate, Tim Chapman (no relation), were arrested by Mexican authorities the morning after they had caught Luster.

The three posted bail, then later left Mexico. Last month, they were arrested in Honolulu and held overnight at the Federal Detention Center before they were released on $300,000 bail. They face up to four years in a Mexican jail if convicted.

The arrests have sparked a nationwide protest by supporters trying to halt the extradition of the popular TV star and the two other men.

The Chapmans' attorneys also said they were providing the Mexican court with evidence that the three were not trying to leave Mexico with Luster, but were headed to a Mexican police station to turn him in when they got arrested.

Brook Hart, Duane Chapman's Honolulu attorney, said Chapman thought he could legally arrest Luster under the Mexican constitution because Luster had violated Mexican law by entering the country under a false name. In addition, the Chapmans were with a man they believed was an on-duty Mexican police officer when they caught Luster, and they later left the country on the "faulty" advice of a Mexican lawyer who told them they could leave, Hart said.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Feb/15/br/br6301527498.html

I SAY SEND CHAPMAN BACK TO MEXICO AND LET HIM ROT IN JAIL THERE...I HATE THE BASTARD AND THAT SHOW...AND FOR THE RECORD...BOUNTY HUNTING IS NOT EVEN LEGAL IN ALL OF THE STATES OF AMERICA LET ALONE ENTERING INTO ANOTHER COUNTRY TO COMMIT THE CRIME OF KIDNAPPING. IT IS AMAZING THAT HE MADE IT PAST MEXICAN AUTHORITIES WITH THIS MAN. NORMALLY REGARDLESS OF ONES CRIME ONCE YOU ENTER INTO ANOTHER COUNTRY YOU ARE UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF THAT NATION AND NO ONE CAN ENTER TO RETRIEVE YOU...THAT IS WHY SOME COUNTRIES HAVE ENTERED INTO EXTRADITION AGREMENTS WITH OTHER NATIONS. MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE WARNED THE TRAILER PARK 'DOG' OF THIS BEFORE HAND. NOT TO WORRY THOUGH..I AM SURE THERE ARE SOME MEXICAN LEROYS IN JAIL READY TO TAKE DOWN A DOG...LOL
C

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 12:58:31 AM »
Yes, my point was that they would not have even had that without Dog.

He led them (off duty cop) to Luster and apprehended him then... (With cop)... How did he do something wrong?

Chapman had no right to apprehend Luster in Mexico. That right is probably exclusive to cops in Mexico.

In other words, Chapman broke the law when bounty hunting in another country.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 01:00:32 AM »
I SAY SEND CHAPMAN BACK TO MEXICO AND LET HIM ROT IN JAIL THERE...I HATE THE BASTARD AND THAT SHOW...AND FOR THE RECORD...BOUNTY HUNTING IS NOT EVEN LEGAL IN ALL OF THE STATES OF AMERICA LET ALONE ENTERING INTO ANOTHER COUNTRY TO COMMIT THE CRIME OF KIDNAPPING. IT IS AMAZING THAT HE MADE IT PAST MEXICAN AUTHORITIES WITH THIS MAN. NORMALLY REGARDLESS OF ONES CRIME ONCE YOU ENTER INTO ANOTHER COUNTRY YOU ARE UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF THAT NATION AND NO ONE CAN ENTER TO RETRIEVE YOU...THAT IS WHY SOME COUNTRIES HAVE ENTERED INTO EXTRADITION AGREMENTS WITH OTHER NATIONS. MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE WARNED THE TRAILER PARK 'DOG' OF THIS BEFORE HAND. NOT TO WORRY THOUGH..I AM SURE THERE ARE SOME MEXICAN LEROYS IN JAIL READY TO TAKE DOWN A DOG...LOL

I honestly believe that Chapman really just wasn't aware that US laws doesn't apply everywhere.

He's a victim of his own ignorance, and will now pay the price.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 01:00:43 AM »
Chapman had no right to apprehend Luster in Mexico. That right is probably exclusive to cops in Mexico.

-Hedge

I'm confused by this... I thought that since he had a Mexican Federali with him that the Federali would have apprehended him with Dog simply being present.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 07:38:08 AM »
I honestly believe that Chapman really just wasn't aware that US laws doesn't apply everywhere.

He's a victim of his own ignorance, and will now pay the price.

-Hedge

But like Tu said, Mexico wasn't doing squat to find the guy.  And when the Dog caught this slime ball, he had the same drugs in his possession that he used to drug and rape women in California.  He was a sexual predator of the worst variety and was probably going to rape Mexican women if not for the Dog.  He did them a huge favor. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 03:47:01 AM »
Certain people need "The dog" in jail, so he won't be hunting down their ass in South America in a few years.  ;D
w

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 06:42:09 AM »

-Hedge

The FBI and DEA use bounty hunters to capture criminals in Mexico all the time due it being illegal for them to make arrests. An undercover DEA agent was killed in Mexico. We knew exactly who did it. The men from the cartel got off scott free in Mexican courts. The DEA then enlisted bounty hunters and they got every guy responsible and got them back into the USA to rot in American jails. Of course one of their "own" was killed so it was ok to do what Dog Chapman is now in trouble for.
The House that Ruth built

Dog Chapman

• Getbig II
  • check out the Y, it's all good my brothers.
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 06:42:37 AM »
I appreciate the support brahs.

God Bless.

Dog.
Bluto is a whiny beotch!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 07:36:25 AM »
So here's where we stand... Protect drug smugglers by giving them immunity to testify against border patrol agents who end up sent to prison while the drug smuggler walks. and Protect Serial Rapists... Fine nation we've become ::)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »
I really don't understand why the US is cooperating with this bullshit.  A US citizen cannot get a fair trial in a Mexican court simply because he is a US citizen and they don't like us very much.

And why is Mexico pressing this? He isn't charged with murder or rape or robbery of a Mexican citizen. They want to charge him with kidnapping of a US citizen who was a criminal wanted by the US.  Why does Mexico give a fucck?

I have no problem with extraditing US citizens who have commited crimes to other first-world countries with fair judicial systems like ours (Europe, Australia, Japan, etc), but NO WAY should we ever extradite a US citizen to a third-world country, especially on bullshit charges like these that didn't even effect any of their citizens.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 08:20:11 AM »
A US citizen cannot get a fair trial in a Mexican court

wow, doesn't that make the treaty that allows this unconstitutional? nobody can guarantee cruel and unusual punishments will not be inflicted by handing him over so this is a denial of the rights guaranteed him in the constitution... I hear-by scrap this stupid treaty that Mexico doesn't follow anyway...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 08:27:48 AM »
I really don't understand why the US is cooperating with this bullshit.  A US citizen cannot get a fair trial in a Mexican court simply because he is a US citizen and they don't like us very much.

And why is Mexico pressing this? He isn't charged with murder or rape or robbery of a Mexican citizen. They want to charge him with kidnapping of a US citizen who was a criminal wanted by the US.  Why does Mexico give a fucck?

I have no problem with extraditing US citizens who have commited crimes to other first-world countries with fair judicial systems like ours (Europe, Australia, Japan, etc), but NO WAY should we ever extradite a US citizen to a third-world country, especially on bullshit charges like these that didn't even effect any of their citizens.

The reason why USA should do it is obvious:

USA wants to be able to get criminals extradited from Mexico.

Because of the agreement, the rapist is now serving in USA.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 08:31:09 AM »
The reason why USA should do it is obvious:

USA wants to be able to get criminals extradited from Mexico.

Because of the agreement, the rapist is now serving in USA.

-Hedge

Again, why does Mexico give a fucck? There is no Mexican citizen who is a "victim" here.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 08:32:50 AM »
I only have one thing to say: Alberto Gonzonlez is an Enemy of the State.  Also know that it is within Condoleezza Rice's power to stop this.  Lets see what kind of person she really is...