Author Topic: "Thor" next SUPER HERO to get big screen treatment  (Read 73651 times)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
Re: "Thor" next SUPER HERO to get big screen treatment
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
No mention of Onslaught? He is the one that beat hulk, and the whole Marvel universe, rendering the Marvel U to be rewritten.

And do you remember Hulk has beaten Thor, he actually picked up Thor's hammer, which it was said that nobody could do. And It was Deadpool, that actually made Hulk bleed...

enough of my Comicbook geekdom has shown...I'm off to read Alraune (ya'll don't know what book that is...) 

hulk did lift his hammer in the ultimates universe, and i believe during the intro of beta ray bill (worse character ever). but fight wise there has always been an unfair reason for one to beat the other, never 2 full power guys fighting to the end ......lucky for thor  ;)

It was established long ago that no normal mortal could ever pick up Mjolnir based on physical strength (the hammer was too heavy) whether he was worthy or not.

hulk can lift it if angry enough.
175lbs by 31st July

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2008, 10:59:48 AM »
hulk did lift his hammer in the ultimates universe, and i believe during the intro of beta ray bill (worse character ever). but fight wise there has always been an unfair reason for one to beat the other, never 2 full power guys fighting to the end ......lucky for thor  ;)

hulk can lift it if angry enough.

As has been said, lifting the hammer is not simply a matter of physical strength. One has to be deemed worthy (by Odin).  Hulk would never meet this qualification.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »
When did that happen?  It was established long ago that no normal mortal could ever pick up Mjolnir based on physical strength (the hammer was too heavy) whether he was worthy or not.

Beta Ray Bill proved worthy of picking up Thor's hammer and claiming the power of Thor!  Anyone else remember that great story line?  Eventually, Odin ordered the creation of a new hammer specifically for Beta Ray Bill so that Thor could have Mjolnir back.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Ray_Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_(Marvel_Comics)

I know that Hulk (Avengers animated movie), Captain America (comic book) and Wonder Woman (in a crossover between Marvel and DC) lifted the hammer.

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
karl urban is the rumor.

He can act too.

Ruffneck

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »
He can act too.

Woah woah woah there fella, ive seen Doom so wheather he can act is debatable ;)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2008, 11:40:03 AM »
What I find funny about finding an actor for Thor is simple....Thor is like 500-600 lbs and 6'6"-6'7".

May as well let Waddy play the role....nutty dope probably thinks he is a viking.

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »
He can act too.

Ohh man come on, that dude would have to put on some serious muscle (way more than Pitt did for Troy) to pull Thor off.  Like MOS said, Thor actually doesn't look human.

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »
Woah woah woah there fella, ive seen Doom so wheather he can act is debatable ;)

Got me there. But that was just a bad movie.

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »
This guy shows some potential.  He's listed at 6'6"  I think. Name is James Preston Rogers.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2008, 01:10:14 PM »
As has been said, lifting the hammer is not simply a matter of physical strength. One has to be deemed worthy (by Odin).  Hulk would never meet this qualification.

yes however thats the point, the hulk is so strong that even though its not simply a matter of physical strength, the hulk is so strong that he can still lift it - in effect making his strength stronger than the mystical god like force that stops anyone else lifting it.

apart from that though - why is the hulk not worthy? he is a stand up guy.
175lbs by 31st July

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »
yes however thats the point, the hulk is so strong that even though its not simply a matter of physical strength, the hulk is so strong that he can still lift it - in effect making his strength stronger than the mystical god like force that stops anyone else lifting it.

I don't remember the Hulk ever lifting the hammer in a normal setting (i.e. not Ultimates or WWH).  To my knowledge, under normal circumstances, Captain America is the only one that's done it.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »

bingo

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
This guy shows some potential.  He's listed at 6'6"  I think. Name is James Preston Rogers.

Good find.  Thor IS a tall character.  Still, I don't think Thor would make a good movie; many people are simply not familiar with him.  He is really from another dimension (Asgard) and if you are not a comic book geek, his origin may be hard to follow.  Introducing him to the modern world would require so many changes to his storyline that he would be a lot less interesting.

Thor's primary enemy is Loki; Amora the Enchantress is another frequent foe.  Both have histories and motivations that would be complicated and expensive to bring to the silver screen.  Similarly, can you tell Thor's story without including Odin?  

Have there been many Thor cartoons over the years?  I don't think so.  Prepping the public with a history of animated adventures makes for an easier retelling on the silver screen.  Superman, Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic Four, all have that history; Thor does not.  I think the best hope for a Thor story is to have him appear as a cameo in another movie (Fantastic Four or IronMan for example) then use that appearance as a stepping stone to his own feature film.

He's getting old now, but a roided up HHH had Thor potential.  :D

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2008, 01:18:59 PM »
I don't remember the Hulk ever lifting the hammer in a normal setting (i.e. not Ultimates or WWH).  To my knowledge, under normal circumstances, Captain America is the only one that's done it.

175lbs by 31st July

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
Good find.  Thor IS a tall character.  Still, I don't think Thor would make a good movie; many people are simply not familiar with him.  He is really from another dimension (Asgard) and if you are not a comic book geek, his origin may be hard to follow.  Introducing him to the modern world would require so many changes to his storyline that he would be a lot less interesting.

Thor's primary enemy is Loki; Amora the Enchantress is another frequent foe.  Both have histories and motivations that would be complicated and expensive to bring to the silver screen.  Similarly, can you tell Thor's story without including Odin?  

Have there been many Thor cartoons over the years?  I don't think so.  Prepping the public with a history of animated adventures makes for an easier retelling on the silver screen.  Superman, Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic Four, all have that history; Thor does not.  I think the best hope for a Thor story is to have him appear as a cameo in another movie (Fantastic Four or IronMan for example) then use that appearance as a stepping stone to his own feature film.

Right. Marvel's plan was for an Iron Man II cameo in 2010. I don't think John Farveu is too happy about that.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

No.  You've missed the point entirely.  Physical strength has nothing to do with it.  It doesn't matter how strong the Hulk is, he cannot lift Mjolnir because lifting it is not a function of physical strength.  Puny Hulk cannot lift Thor's hammer.

In a crossover story, a "What If" story, or Ultimate storyline (none of which are canon by the way) someone like Wonder Woman could lift it, but Hulk?  No.  Sure, that would make Hulk frustrated and angry, but no amount of anger will enable him to lift Mjolnir.  Sorry.

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2008, 01:34:59 PM »

It's also going to depend on if Kenneth Branugh (in talks to direct) will choose to have Thor speak in his "psuedo-Shakespearean" dialect, as in "ye Verily Thor doth striketh down any mortal who curseth mighty Odin!!!" or along those lines.  That could come off really campy, unless it is severely underplayed.  I think the story has a lot of great material to work with (Norse Mythology), they will just have to find a way to modernize it and make his character relatable.  Odin would have to be used somewhat metaphorically yet still made to be his father.....it would be tricky.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2008, 01:37:25 PM »
I want a vote who wins one word answer. hulk? thor?
DAWG

BlueDevil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »

a comic book character with greater powers than a god  ::)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2008, 01:42:15 PM »
No.  You've missed the point entirely.  Physical strength has nothing to do with it.  It doesn't matter how strong the Hulk is, he cannot lift Mjolnir because lifting it is not a function of physical strength.  Puny Hulk cannot lift Thor's hammer.

In a crossover story, a "What If" story, or Ultimate storyline (none of which are canon by the way) someone like Wonder Woman could lift it, but Hulk?  No.  Sure, that would make Hulk frustrated and angry, but no amount of anger will enable him to lift Mjolnir.  Sorry.
No you've missed the point entirely , hulks strength is infinite, this means hulk > thors hammer.

red hulk lifted it here:

hulk lifted it here:

http://img194.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=36407_The_Incredible_Hulk_v2_-_255_-_20_122_103lo.jpg (image wont link, but copy and paste into explorer.)

and in the ultimates universe.
oh and he also snapped the back of the unbreakable adamantium bones of wolverine here:

So basically hulk > all  >:(

>:( PANDA SMASH PUNY GAY MAN
175lbs by 31st July

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »
In normal Marvel, Hulk couldn't and cannot lift Mjolnir, since it does not follow the laws of physics, no matter how strong Hulk is.

Sure, some may regard Hulk as a "stand up guy" but he has a berserker-mentality and is easy to snap.

Those worthy of lifting Mjollnir has to be more of a chivalrous Hero, like Captain America.

There are always "What If"-stories and other Universe-stories these days though.
Q

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »

Logically the power or "spell" to restrict non-worthy opponents from lifting it can not match the force Hulk is capable of generating because that force is limitless.

Hope that helps.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »
I want a vote who wins one word answer. hulk? thor?

HULK SMASH

BOOOOOOOOOOOM
175lbs by 31st July

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2008, 01:52:09 PM »
No you've missed the point entirely , hulks strength is infinite, this means hulk > thors hammer.

red hulk liftef it here:

hulk lifted it here:

and in the ultimates universe.
oh and he also snapped the back of the unbreakable adamantium bones of wolverine here:

So basically hulk > all  >:(

>:( PANDA SMASH PUNY GAY MAN

Ok, let's get something straight first.  The Hulk is my favorite character ever.  But he loses to Thor plain and simple.  Second, You bringing out Red Hulk is like throwing pre-crisis Superman or Beyonder into the mix.  Some of these writers gave these characters virtually no limits to their powers, and Red Hulk is the latest.  However, it's not the widely agreed-upon version of "The" Hulk.  Third, Thor's hammer.  It's powers are mystical, much like Juggernaut's.  Just because Hulk is the strongest one there is doesn't mean he can stop Juggernaut, because he can't.  Why?  Because his powers are mystical.  Hulk's strength does not compute into this.  Lastly, if you want to start throwing out obscure versions of characters, then I'll throw in Rune King Thor into the mix and it's game over.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »
DAWG