Author Topic: Does it confuse you when you see bigger people lifting lighter weights?  (Read 10513 times)

Per Se

• Getbig III
I can curl 60lbs dumbells for 8 reps with Perfect form but you have all seen how small my arms are (15 and half inches), then you look at Levrone's newest videos where hes only curling 50s and they are killing him, yet his biceps are much bigger than mine. Also Arnold lifted fairly light weights, never saw him bench more than 120kg and never saw him curl more than 60kg barbell.
 :-\

It's all drugs/genetics...  :-\

I'd be interested to see your version of 'perfect form'.  It's extremely easy to lift BIG weights in dumbell curls, as it's easy to recruit other muscles into the movement, not to mention swinging.

lax

• Getbig IV
the majority is always wrong

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
the majority is always wrong
How big is your one arm mike?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
An experienced lifter can make 10lbs feel like 100lbs they have superior mind/muscle connection. , your muscles dont know "weights" only your ego does.

Only true to a fairly small extent. If this were literally true then no pro would ever curl more than 10lbs or bench 135lbs etc. Why risk injury? Even Levrone was very weight conscious in these new videos despite his fantastic mind-muscle connection, conscious of the absolute load and number of reps he was capable of. I actually remember a supposed Levrone quote in some mag, "I tried going lighter for a while but nothing happened until I grabbed some WEIGHT!"  :D I'm sure Levrone could have had one hell of a taxing workout never going higher than 315 on the bench by contracting and squeezing and feeling the muscle working, but for some reason he felt the need to risk injury by blasting out sets with 500lbs.

Most pros will say they are a fan of the mind-muscle connection and how you shouldn't use excessive weights, but when you see them train a large percentage of them use TOO MUCH weight! They can't do the movement without tons of momentum and "cheating". Recent example, Branch Warren. Says since his injuries he now uses peak contraction etc. But look at the vids on MD. Dangerous as hell. A tear can happen any moment.

What I'm saying is that most don't seem to really believe it.

Your muscles grow by feeding them progressive resistence not loading up the bar and swinging like a nut job.

Very true. Phil Hernon has a training philosophy I believe in. He says you should do the movement properly but forget all about "feeling" the muscle. Increase load progressively and the muscle will come.

All the "feeling" in the world won't do much unless the load is increased.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
WHY is it pepople Have to think every bodybuilding should risk injury and throwing around Massive weights?

Maybe because that's what they see the big guys doing, including the majority of pros.  ;)

Arnold probably still have the best chest even compared to the pro's today, and only benched 130kg? so all these "loser" benching 500 pounds and still having a semi crappy chest, kinda proves its just a bunch of BS trying to go so HEAVY :)

That's bullshit. Arnold did tons of very heavy training, cheating like crazy on everything.

Tom Platz had the best legs ever. But does this look safe to anyone?

Stavios

Very true. Phil Hernon has a training philosophy I believe in. He says you should do the movement properly but forget all about "feeling" the muscle. Increase load progressively and the muscle will come.

I just broke a plateau training this way.

I wondered why my bench sucked, and it was because I was trying to "feel" my chest too much.
now I don't give a shit I just load the bar and the next morning the soreness in my chest is greater than ever before

that's the only way I will be training for now on, God bless my joints  8)

spinnis

well a Shitload of people say the Exact opposite, and I agree with the Exact opposite, but thats just me :)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
An experienced lifter can make 10lbs feel like 100lbs they have superior mind/muscle connection. ,

R

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
well a Shitload of people say the Exact opposite, and I agree with the Exact opposite, but thats just me :)

They say it, but do they really believe it? I myself believe in the mind-muscle connection to an extent but what I see is that most are very conscious of how much they can lift, despite saying otherwise. And if the pros who supposedly don't believe in load being particularly important really practiced what they preach they wouldn't have to even go to the gym. With all the drugs in their system they could completely fatigue and pump their body at home with push-ups, lateral raises with milk cartons, sissy squats with their body as weight etc.

No, they all go up the rack. They warm up and go up the rack, even if they could get a "good workout" with the 10 pounders.

How often do you see someone train like this even? This type of training would limit load as there's little momentum and no cheating. And this is someone who also believes in load progression.

Swede, can you give an example of a good bb who says load doesn't matter?

Pecs

• Getbig IV
I will try and make a mind muscle connection from now on, so far iv just been focusing on getting the weight up with good form. Squeaze at the top more etc.
 :-X

PeteCZ, post a picture or shut the fuck up. p.s why the fuck would i lie about my arms being 15 and a half inches? lol

I saw your arm pics in the other thread you started.....how tall are you??

Method101

• Getbig V
I saw your arm pics in the other thread you started.....how tall are you??
6ft.2

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Milos believes in pink dumbells.
Deep Tissue Massage

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"

Yeah, that's what he says, load isn't important at all. But how much did he have on the hack squat when he tore the quads?

Pecs

• Getbig IV
6ft.2

Well.... at that height (assuming to be true), 15.5 inch arms sounds reasonable...

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?

He's got the arms to back it up 8)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Yeah, that's what he says, load isn't important at all. But how much did he have on the hack squat when he tore the quads?

"On Jan. 12, 2002, I had a devastating knee injury," recounts Milos. "I was doing a 950-pound hack squat, and my patellar tendon on my right knee literally exploded."

Why in the hell was he doing hacks with that kind of weight when a fraction of that would've been just as good with a little "feeling"?

That's one hell of a hack squat weight though. And Milos' quads were his best body part. Hmm...

affy

i've seen guys with 50'' chests benching 225 and failing at 10 reps..grunting like a madman at the last 2-3 reps

all drugs?

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
method is truely not one of getbig's finest posters
hi method

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
I agree with most here...you could be catching a guy doing high reps for more pump after pre exhausting with heavy weight 45 min before you even got there. Mind - Muscle connection has its merits as well.

One thing I didn't notice anyone mention is diet. I don't care how much you lift, how long you lift or how often you got to the gym to lift...if you are not downing clean foods & tons of protein you will NEVER grow. So instead of asking yourself about if others grow because of the poundage they swing, view it as they must know how to properly recover (rest, diet) no matter the weight.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Very true. Beginners cheat to make a movement easier, but experienced lifters can get productive results from cheating as long as they do it "right".

And Method, your arms don't grow from curling 60 lb or 80 lb, although that does help a fair bit - they get more stimulus and growth from your holding /supporting the 400 or even 500+ lb that you deadlift or lift as part of other compound exercises, that engage your whole body and make your muscles work in unison, to move the weight as well as stabilize your body.
deadlifts wont make your bis and tris grow to any measurable degree.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
I can curl 60lbs dumbells for 8 reps with Perfect form but you have all seen how small my arms are (15 and half inches), then you look at Levrone's newest videos where hes only curling 50s and they are killing him, yet his biceps are much bigger than mine. Also Arnold lifted fairly light weights, never saw him bench more than 120kg and never saw him curl more than 60kg barbell.
 :-\

It's all drugs/genetics...  :-\

LOL!! 60s.....a mere warm-up.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
deadlifts wont make your bis and tris grow to any measurable degree.

Not deadlifts alone and not directly. But along with other compound exercises, they make you stronger and bigger overall. Take a guy who's never done deadlifts and heavy rows (along with bench, dips etc), make him work on lifting big weights with good form and his arms will improve noticeably. My point is, bicep or tricep work alone won't be as productive as incorporating heavy compounds into the routine.

spinnis

Swede, can you give an example of a good bb who says load doesn't matter?

Where did I claim that?

I was talking about Feeling it.

Alot of pros, cant name any right now though lol had said, If you cant Feel it working, it aint working..

I can Swing up heavy dumbells, when I cant really feel it working my biceps.. :)

muscle mind connection baby =) is what I believe in.
Im not saying you should Always train light though.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Not deadlifts alone and not directly. But along with other compound exercises, they make you stronger and bigger overall. Take a guy who's never done deadlifts and heavy rows (along with bench, dips etc), make him work on lifting big weights with good form and his arms will improve noticeably. My point is, bicep or tricep work alone won't be as productive as incorporating heavy compounds into the routine.

Spot on