Author Topic: Powerlifting meets: decent lifts  (Read 2284 times)

Stan1

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Powerlifting meets: decent lifts
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:05:18 AM »
Hi Guys,

Any input is appreciated. Can you give me some idea of what would be classed as decent lifts for a RAW, drug-tested meet weighing in between 185-195lbs? I'm not talking world-class or anything, but just some numbers for the 'Big 3' that would get you classed as pretty strong for your size.

Thanks. :)

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
Re: Powerlifting meets: decent lifts
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 07:12:47 AM »
if you are hitting 3x BW on the squat and dead and 2x on bench you should get yourself a 1st place trophy in most meets w/in your state

Stan1

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 07:21:39 AM »
I'm not near that level.

3 x BW squat for RAW, drug-tested seems like a hell of a lot.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 07:45:03 AM »
those are #'s which should get you a state title...or have you in the running...what are your #'s like now?

Stan1

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 07:52:43 AM »
those are #'s which should get you a state title...or have you in the running...what are your #'s like now?
Not great at all.

Squat: 400lbs
Bench: 310lbs
Dead:  550lbs

I have no plans of competing at state level yet with those numbers. :D

Just thinking about a novice meet somewhere to get into it. Thanks for your response. :)

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:09:39 PM »
Hey Stan,

I have seen more guys then I care to remember not want to compete untill they could lift a certian amount of weight  :-\  they sure missed out on a lot of fun. Please don't worry about what your numbers are they well get better.  I understand that you don't want look like you are way behind in what you can lift in your weight class, But I'll tell you one thing. Even if your off by a hundred pounds from the other lifters... nobody cares. As long as your lifting the best you can thats all that matters. I'm telling you even if  on a third attempt your 100 lb off the other guys, but you struggle with the attempt but gut it out, you wil get cheered like it was a world record, because you got the most out of your self. 

To be honest with you I wouldn't worry about what's a decent lift. Your main goal is to improve your totals thats it. you can't control what other lifters do. If you lift more in meet B then you did in meet A  then you won.. Against yourself, thats the battle at local levels.

I would root on the guys in my weight class of course! but I didn't pay any attention to there numbers, only mine. After my weight class was done I would see where I placed. if top 3 I would stay, if not, I would congratulate the winners and head home.

Go have some fun! This is a great sport! remember............ it's just you Against the iron! and if you happen to finish in the top 3 great! if not and you exceeded your total from the last meet.. well guess what you still won!  ;)

Masters- 50-54
148#

GHGut

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 05:35:08 PM »
Not great at all.

Just thinking about a novice meet somewhere to get into it. Thanks for your response. :)

Bro--pick a show and compete! Powerlifting isn't like bodybuilding. Bodybuilding (and I love the sport) is fucked up, a great number of insecure ego-maniacs who get by on genetics and drugs and talk shit about others (there are some good people in bbing, especially at the grassroots level). People always ask where the camaraderie in bbing went? It went to powerlifting.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 06:20:52 AM »
Not great at all.

I think your numbers are pretty good?

Especially the deadlift.

A lot of people forget that there's a difference between a competition squat/benchpress and a gym squat/benchpress.

So if you can get those numbers under legit judging, you definitely won't be lost at a RAW PL meet.

Additionally, the atmosphere at meets are generally very friendly, just a great thing to get through, and great camaraderie, everyone is getting through the 9 lifts together.

One more thing: Don't be worried about having too light starting weights.

The fellow competitors won't be more impressed with you if you start with a weight you can barely manage to get up. The smart thing is to try to get 9 good lifts in your first meet.
As empty as paradise

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 03:55:44 PM »
Keep in mind too, you don't have to wear gear in any meet you do.  your fed choices will be a bit limited, as there are some that don't test, but you can liftraw anywhere.

Jason