Author Topic: Mike Huckabee: ‘Wish That Someone Told Me’ I Could Have Said I Was Transgender  (Read 6170 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
lol  The liberal media is going to be all over him.  No joking about these issues governor.  Not allowed.

Mike Huckabee: ‘Wish That Someone Told Me’ I Could Have Said I Was Transgender to Shower With the Girls in High School
Jun. 2, 2015   
Madeleine Morgenstern   

Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee joked about wishing he could have said he was transgender so he could have showered with the girls during high school.

Huckabee made the crack in February at the annual National Religious Broadcasters Convention in Nashville, Tennessee, but it was just flagged by BuzzFeed after video was posted online over the weekend.

Huckabee, who had not yet declared his candidacy at the time, was speaking about religious liberty coming “under threat.”

“We are now in city after city watching ordinances say that your 7-year-old daughter, if she goes into the restroom, cannot be offended, and you can’t be offended, if she’s greeted there by a 42-year-old man who feels more like a woman than he does a man,” Huckabee said.

“Now I wish that someone told me that when I was in high school that I could have felt like a woman when it came time to take showers in PE,” he said. “I’m pretty sure that I would have found my feminine side and said, ‘Coach, I think I’d rather shower with the girls today.’ You’re laughing because it sounds so ridiculous, doesn’t it?”

Huckabee continued: “And yet today we are the ones who are ridiculed and scorned because we point out the obvious. That there’s something inherently wrong about forcing little children to be a part of this social experiment.  I’m not against anybody. I’d just like for somebody to bring their brain to work some day and not leave it on the bedstand when they show up to govern.”

Huckabee’s remarks surfaced one day after the former Bruce Jenner announced she had taken the name “Caitlyn” in debuting her new identity as a woman. Jenner had not yet publicly come out as transgender when Huckabee spoke in February.

A representative for Huckabee’s presidential campaign did not immediately return a request for comment.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/02/mike-huckabee-wish-that-someone-told-me-i-could-have-said-i-was-transgender-to-shower-with-the-girls-in-high-school/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
lol  The liberal media

nobody cares what the lib media says.   nobody watches them. 

why are repubs and RINOs so obsessed with shitty networks with low numbers who are only watched by obama voters anyway?  Why does something so insignificant keep them up at night?  As leaders, will they whine about russia or Nkorea saying mean things about them?

In the days of reagan, repubs would innovate and build a better media with their message, and take away the viewers from the liberal networks, and wouldn't care what the dem votes talked about on their channel.  It's the Bush/Romney repubs that just complain all day.  :(

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.

nobody cares what the lib media says.   nobody watches them. 

why are repubs and RINOs so obsessed with shitty networks with low numbers who are only watched by obama voters anyway?  Why does something so insignificant keep them up at night?  As leaders, will they whine about russia or Nkorea saying mean things about them?

In the days of reagan, repubs would innovate and build a better media with their message, and take away the viewers from the liberal networks, and wouldn't care what the dem votes talked about on their channel.  It's the Bush/Romney repubs that just complain all day.  :(

Because unlike the Repubs, they don't need daily programming with faux news.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
someone should tell him that he still can say he is transgender

he already looks like a fat old woman so he's got a running start

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
lol  The liberal media is going to be all over him.  No joking about these issues governor.  Not allowed.

Mike Huckabee: ‘Wish That Someone Told Me’ I Could Have Said I Was Transgender to Shower With the Girls in High School
Jun. 2, 2015  
Madeleine Morgenstern   

Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee joked about wishing he could have said he was transgender so he could have showered with the girls during high school.

Huckabee made the crack in February at the annual National Religious Broadcasters Convention in Nashville, Tennessee, but it was just flagged by BuzzFeed after video was posted online over the weekend.

Huckabee, who had not yet declared his candidacy at the time, was speaking about religious liberty coming “under threat.”

“We are now in city after city watching ordinances say that your 7-year-old daughter, if she goes into the restroom, cannot be offended, and you can’t be offended, if she’s greeted there by a 42-year-old man who feels more like a woman than he does a man,” Huckabee said.

“Now I wish that someone told me that when I was in high school that I could have felt like a woman when it came time to take showers in PE,” he said. “I’m pretty sure that I would have found my feminine side and said, ‘Coach, I think I’d rather shower with the girls today.’ You’re laughing because it sounds so ridiculous, doesn’t it?”

Huckabee continued: “And yet today we are the ones who are ridiculed and scorned because we point out the obvious. That there’s something inherently wrong about forcing little children to be a part of this social experiment.  I’m not against anybody. I’d just like for somebody to bring their brain to work some day and not leave it on the bedstand when they show up to govern.”

Huckabee’s remarks surfaced one day after the former Bruce Jenner announced she had taken the name “Caitlyn” in debuting her new identity as a woman. Jenner had not yet publicly come out as transgender when Huckabee spoke in February.

A representative for Huckabee’s presidential campaign did not immediately return a request for comment.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/02/mike-huckabee-wish-that-someone-told-me-i-could-have-said-i-was-transgender-to-shower-with-the-girls-in-high-school/

Without wading into the whole "transgender" quagmire, I will point out that there's a small difference between saying you're transgender and actually being transgender. This small and subtle point might actually be lost on Mike Huckabee who, apparently, can't see anything smaller than a large pizza or more subtle than a forehead tattoo reading "THUG LIFE"

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
i'm sure his high school female class mates are happy he wasn't trans.
there are probably some guys that wished he hadn't walked around the men's locker room nekid, too.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Without wading into the whole "transgender" quagmire, I will point out that there's a small difference between saying you're transgender and actually being transgender. This small and subtle point might actually be lost on Mike Huckabee who, apparently, can't see anything smaller than a large pizza or more subtle than a forehead tattoo reading "THUG LIFE"

It was a joke.  Mildly funny.  But just a joke. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)

Maybe I'm lost in the definitions, but what's that difference you mean?

avxo

• Getbig V
It was a joke.  Mildly funny.  But just a joke.

Perhaps. But does that make it any better? Because if it was a joke, it was one that would seem to trivialize what those who are transgender go through.

Maybe I'm lost in the definitions, but what's that difference you mean?

Huckabee (perhaps jokingly) claimed that if he could have showered with the girls, he'd have claimed to be transgender. But claiming to be something and actually being that thing are very different. It's the difference between saying 'I have 24" biceps' on getbig and actually having 24" biceps.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Mike Huckabee:
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Perhaps. But does that make it any better? Because if it was a joke, it was one that would seem to trivialize what those who are transgender go through.

Huckabee (perhaps jokingly) claimed that if he could have showered with the girls, he'd have claimed to be transgender. But claiming to be something and actually being that thing are very different. It's the difference between saying 'I have 24" biceps' on getbig and actually having 24" biceps.

Actually, that's not how it works in today's society.  You are whatever you claim to be, on whatever day you claim to be (or not be).  Society has left the reservation with this whole gender thing.  We are continually creating new gender classifications on paper.  I read an article the other day about a "pansexual."  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/29/mary-gonzalez-pansexual_n_7433432.html

I posted a story a while back about some of the new categories they are pushing in schools, including "agender," "Demi-boy," "Gender fluid," etc.  Good luck making sense of all that stuff.    http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=134605.25

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »
Actually, that's not how it works in today's society.

Really?

You are whatever you claim to be, on whatever day you claim to be (or not be).

No, it's not quite like that. You can claim to be a purple dinosaur if you want, sure. And people may choose to treat you that way because it's probably easier than telling you that you're an idiot while you go on a rampage. However, that doesn't actually make you a purple dinosaur. Whether you like it or not "transgender" is a term that has a very specific meaning and calling yourself one isn't the same as being one.

Society has left the reservation with this whole gender thing.  We are continually creating new gender classifications on paper.  I read an article the other day about a "pansexual."  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/29/mary-gonzalez-pansexual_n_7433432.html

Great. So she self-identifies as a pansexual. You self-identify as a beer. What's the problem?

I posted a story a while back about some of the new categories they are pushing in schools, including "agender," "Demi-boy," "Gender fluid," etc.  Good luck making sense of all that stuff.    http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=134605.25

I don't care to make sense of all that stuff. How people identify their sexuality and how they feel about their gender at birth isn't my concern. We aren't talking about metrosexuals or trannies or whatever else. We are talking about people who have an actual, diagnosable condition in the DSM-5 with, real, actual, specific and articulated symptoms.

Which brings me to my next point. I have no idea what "demi-boys" are. But I am pretty certain that whether I know or not makes no difference. What matters is whether a particular person have gender dysphoria and if so, what should such an individual be allowed to do about this?

But let's ignore all that stuff. You go on worrying that random teenage boys will claim to be girls and go visit a psychiatrist and present themselves as girls for months to magically get a pass to the girls' shower. After all, people do all sorts of crazy, outlandish things. You saw that movie "Soul Man" right? Pretty sure it was based on a true story and if that can happen... well shit! ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
Really?

No, it's not quite like that. You can claim to be a purple dinosaur if you want, sure. And people may choose to treat you that way because it's probably easier than telling you that you're an idiot while you go on a rampage. However, that doesn't actually make you a purple dinosaur. Whether you like it or not "transgender" is a term that has a very specific meaning and calling yourself one isn't the same as being one.

Great. So she self-identifies as a pansexual. You self-identify as a beer. What's the problem?

I don't care to make sense of all that stuff. How people identify their sexuality and gender isn't my concern. We aren't talking about metrosexuals or trannies or whatever else. We are talking about people who have an actual, diagnosable condition in the DSM-5 with, real, actual, specific and articulated symptoms.

Which brings me to my next point. I have no idea what "demi-boys" are. But I am pretty certain that makes no difference. The only relevant question is does the person have gender dysphoria and if so, what should such an individual be allowed to do about this?

But let's ignore all that stuff. You go on worrying that random teenage boys will claim to be girls and go visit a psychiatrist and present themselves as girls for months to magically get a pass to the girls' shower. After all, people do all sorts of crazy, outlandish things. You saw that movie "Soul Man" right? Pretty sure it was based on a true story and if that can happen... well shit! ::)

Yes, really.  It's exactly the way I described it.   

My point is it doesn't matter what the dictionary or "DSM-5" says (and no I'm not impressed), what matters is how society is treating these things.  We're not treating "transgender" as a disorder.  We are saying it's not only normal to act like a girl if you are actually a boy, but that you can float between genders, which completely blurs this "medical" definition.  It's a mess. 

And yes, I am concerned about where this will all lead in society.  Confusion is not healthy.  Impingement on free speech is not healthy.  Getting worked up over a joke is . . . pretty dumb. 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »
Yes, really.  It's exactly the way I described it.

Well, if you say so, it must be right.

My point is it doesn't matter what the dictionary or "DSM-5" says (and no I'm not impressed), what matters is how society is treating these things.

Oh, well... if a prominent expert like you is not impressed we should stop the presses and get some new guidance in.

We're not treating "transgender" as a disorder.

How would you suggest that this "disorder" be treated Doctor? Tell these freaks to start acting right or else, perhaps?

We are saying it's not only normal to act like a girl if you are actually a boy, but that you can float between genders, which completely blurs this "medical" definition.  It's a mess.

I believe there are a number of studies under which transgender people have been subjected to fMRI scans have proven conclusively that these people have brain patterns that more closely align to the gender they claim to be, not the gender they are. See http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20032-transsexual-differences-caught-on-brain-scan.html#.VW9e3HOx3RY for one such study. Now maybe to you these people are just acting, and maybe you think that they should take a salt tablet and should just start behaving how you expect them to. But who the fuck are you and why does your opinion matter? Who are you to tell other people how to live?

And yes, I am concerned about where this will all lead in society.

I'm pretty sure that society has bigger problems than people with gender dysphoria, so you'll forgive me if I don't step on your slippery slope.

Confusion is not healthy.

Yes... those poor confused, unhealthy fucked up people. ::)

Impingement on free speech is not healthy.

I didn't impinge on Mike Huckabee's freedom to speak and say whatever it is that he wants to say. But freedom of speech isn't freedom from criticism and if Mike Huckabee chooses to speak, then he chooses to open himself up to criticism for the things that he says.

Getting worked up over a joke is . . . pretty dumb.

I agree. Do you know anyone who's doing that?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 01:38:19 PM »
Well, if you say so, it must be right.

Oh, well... if a prominent expert like you is not impressed we should stop the presses and get some new guidance in.

How would you suggest that this "disorder" be treated Doctor? Tell these freaks to start acting right or else, perhaps?

I believe there are a number of studies under which transgender people have been subjected to fMRI scans have proven conclusively that these people have brain patterns that more closely align to the gender they claim to be, not the gender they are. See http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20032-transsexual-differences-caught-on-brain-scan.html#.VW9e3HOx3RY for one such study. Now maybe to you these people are just acting, and maybe you think that they should take a salt tablet and should just start behaving how you expect them to. But who the fuck are you and why does your opinion matter? Who are you to tell other people how to live?

I'm pretty sure that society has bigger problems than people with gender dysphoria, so you'll forgive me if I don't step on your slippery slope.

Yes... those poor confused, unhealthy fucked up people. ::)

I didn't impinge on Mike Huckabee's freedom to speak and say whatever it is that he wants to say. But freedom of speech isn't freedom from criticism and if Mike Huckabee chooses to speak, then he chooses to open himself up to criticism for the things that he says.

I agree. Do you know anyone who's doing that?

You are confused.  The issue isn't how to medically treat someone with some kind of medical disorder.  The issue is how society lumps this "disorder" in with every other legislatively created gender classification.  For example, if you actually look at the definition of "gender identity" in many places (including my state), it doesn't specifically list "transgender."  It's much broader than that.  It includes any guy who wants to act like a girl on some days, and not on others.  I'm sure you're not suggesting that all of those people have some kind of clinical disorder?

Yes, there are bigger problems than gender confusion being pushed on society.  That doesn't make gender confusion any less of a problem.  I don't really care how you rank them.  That's not the point. 

Yes, those poor kids in schools being taught that gender isn't really gender.  That you can choose to be or act however you want.  Nothing to see here.   ::)

I wasn't suggesting you were infringing on Huckabee's free speech.  Was making a broader point that you cannot even joke about stuff like this without the PC police coming for you.

Yes, you. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V

Does that mean something more than the person's claim should be required before allowing the things mentioned?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
It was a joke.  Mildly funny.  But just a joke. 

mildly huh?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 04:04:05 PM »
You are confused.  The issue isn't how to medically treat someone with some kind of medical disorder.  The issue is how society lumps this "disorder" in with every other legislatively created gender classification.  For example, if you actually look at the definition of "gender identity" in many places (including my state), it doesn't specifically list "transgender."  It's much broader than that.  It includes any guy who wants to act like a girl on some days, and not on others.  I'm sure you're not suggesting that all of those people have some kind of clinical disorder?

Yes, there are bigger problems than gender confusion being pushed on society.  That doesn't make gender confusion any less of a problem.  I don't really care how you rank them.  That's not the point. 

Yes, those poor kids in schools being taught that gender isn't really gender.  That you can choose to be or act however you want.  Nothing to see here.   ::)

I wasn't suggesting you were infringing on Huckabee's free speech.  Was making a broader point that you cannot even joke about stuff like this without the PC police coming for you.

Yes, you. 

please post the link were you looked that up in your state

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
You are confused.

Perhaps. I am arguing with a beer after all...

The issue isn't how to medically treat someone with some kind of medical disorder.  The issue is how society lumps this "disorder" in with every other legislatively created gender classification.

The issue is how we should treat such people. I submit that minimizing their condition and treating it as a joke is insensitive and inappropriate. It doesn't matter if it's Mike Huckabee or Joe Blow that's doing it.

For example, if you actually look at the definition of "gender identity" in many places (including my state), it doesn't specifically list "transgender." It's much broader than that.  It includes any guy who wants to act like a girl on some days, and not on others.  I'm sure you're not suggesting that all of those people have some kind of clinical disorder?

Maybe they do, and maybe they don't - I wouldn't know. But that's irrelevant. The salient point is that while to me gender and sexuality are pretty cut and dried, I don't think that's necessarily the case for everyone and that if some guy wants to act like a girl on some days and not other, then this doesn't affect me in any way.

I don't see how gender confusion is being pushed on society. Are you confused? Does the existence of, say, RuPaul affect you in any material way?

I don't know if being given a handout by some organization qualifies as being "taught that gender isn't really gender." As for choosing to be or act however you want, I don't have any issues with that. Apparently you feel that people should be or act however you want and that's a problem. You maybe ought to get that checked out.

So me commenting on Huckabee is PC police. And you chiding me about being all PC police on Huckabee is what exactly? Here's my response to your criticism: screw you; if people choose to talk, they should know they open themselves up for criticism. This applies even more to people like Huckabee, that have megaphones permanently attached to their lips.

avxo

• Getbig V
Does that mean something more than the person's claim should be required before allowing the things mentioned?

It means that calling yourself transgender to gain access to the girls' locker room and shower facilities doesn't actually make you transgender, anymore than calling yourself an endodontist qualifies you to perform root canals.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
It means that calling yourself transgender to gain access to the girls' locker room and shower facilities doesn't actually make you transgender, anymore than calling yourself an endodontist qualifies you to perform root canals.

So you're against the idea that would allow that to happen, or...?

avxo

• Getbig V
So you're against the idea that would allow that to happen, or...?

I'm against what idea? That if you were to call yourself Japanese, you would, magically, become Japanese? It's not so much that I'm against that... it's just that that's not how reality works. Now, before you go misconstruing what I said, let me point out that it's possible that you are, actually, Japanese - in which case whether you call yourself that or not is irrelevant.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
I'm against what idea? That if you were to call yourself Japanese, you would, magically, become Japanese? It's not so much that I'm against that... it's just that that's not how reality works. Now, before you go misconstruing what I said, let me point out that it's possible that you are, actually, Japanese - in which case whether you call yourself that or not is irrelevant.

...the idea that a person can make a claim to gain access to the restroom of his choosing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
Perhaps. I am arguing with a beer after all...

The issue is how we should treat such people. I submit that minimizing their condition and treating it as a joke is insensitive and inappropriate. It doesn't matter if it's Mike Huckabee or Joe Blow that's doing it.

Maybe they do, and maybe they don't - I wouldn't know. But that's irrelevant. The salient point is that while to me gender and sexuality are pretty cut and dried, I don't think that's necessarily the case for everyone and that if some guy wants to act like a girl on some days and not other, then this doesn't affect me in any way.

I don't see how gender confusion is being pushed on society. Are you confused? Does the existence of, say, RuPaul affect you in any material way?

I don't know if being given a handout by some organization qualifies as being "taught that gender isn't really gender." As for choosing to be or act however you want, I don't have any issues with that. Apparently you feel that people should be or act however you want and that's a problem. You maybe ought to get that checked out.

So me commenting on Huckabee is PC police. And you chiding me about being all PC police on Huckabee is what exactly? Here's my response to your criticism: screw you; if people choose to talk, they should know they open themselves up for criticism. This applies even more to people like Huckabee, that have megaphones permanently attached to their lips.

I don't know what you mean by "beer," but given your inability to disagree without acting like a scolded little kid, I assume it's some kind of insult?  

Yes, shame on Huckabee for telling a joke.  He should know you thin skinned people will be offended.

The salient point is that gender is not cut and dried for some segments of society and those segments want to force their views on others, and silence anyone who disagrees.  But if you live a fishbowl you might not see it.

Yes I have a problem with teaching kids that gender differences do not exist.  

You are one angry buggah.  Go smoke a joint or something.  Might make you feel better.