Author Topic: Fish & Whey as the only protein sources?  (Read 5572 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Fish & Whey as the only protein sources?
« on: January 21, 2006, 11:05:33 PM »
I saw on ESPN that NBA player Carmello Anthony lost a great deal of babyfat in the offseason by eating only fish for his protein.

Can anyone think of side effects of eating fish 3-4 times a day?  I figure I'd still drink 3 whey shakes a day... but if I'm looking to lose some fat, would this be a good idea?

Also, would mercury levels be a prob?  thanks

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Fish & Whey as the only protein sources?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:46:54 AM »
I saw on ESPN that NBA player Carmello Anthony lost a great deal of babyfat in the offseason by eating only fish for his protein.

Can anyone think of side effects of eating fish 3-4 times a day?  I figure I'd still drink 3 whey shakes a day... but if I'm looking to lose some fat, would this be a good idea?

Mercury Toxicity would only be a problem depending on the type of fish you consume.
If you're looking to drop babyfat, a vegetarian diet will lean you out real quick.

...that means no more Big Macs or Quarter pounders from McDonalds.  :D
w

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 06:00:50 AM »
Guy I'm working with right now Charles Dixon was eating only tuna for the NPC Nationals last year and ran into a problem with getting off the last bit of fat.  He went to a trainer and he recommended to not eat as much and substitute it with tipalia fish because the mercury levels were screwing with him.  Don't know if that was the case but it worked and he ended up taking 2nd place.  I'll problaby try that as well next go around and see how it works.
A

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 08:21:28 AM »
Lean chicken breasts and fish are more or less the same.  Naturally fish is healthier, but as Jag said you can't keep eating tuna.  I think haddock would be ok.  Anyway check out the red meat thread...you don't need to have a "diverse" protein portfolio as a recreational bodybuilder.  Fish is generally low in fat and if you cook it right, it's healthy.  That's it.  If you have super lean ground beef, egg whites, or chicken breasts, you also have meats that are low in fat and can be cooked healthfully. 

In other words, you don't JUST have to have fish.
:-)

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:34:32 PM »
Lean chicken breasts and fish are more or less the same.  Naturally fish is healthier, but as Jag said you can't keep eating tuna.  I think haddock would be ok.  Anyway check out the red meat thread...you don't need to have a "diverse" protein portfolio as a recreational bodybuilder.  Fish is generally low in fat and if you cook it right, it's healthy.  That's it.  If you have super lean ground beef, egg whites, or chicken breasts, you also have meats that are low in fat and can be cooked healthfully. 

In other words, you don't JUST have to have fish.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but didnt I see a post from you once that said on a dare you survived off tuna, and lettuce  for a year?

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »
from an evolutionary standpoint, were humans meant to eat more fish, more poultry, or more beef?

tough to say which is the healthiest. 

Cutler once said he eats so much fish when dieting that his shit turns to liquid

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 01:23:15 PM »

losing fat is about calories. isnt this basic 101?
side effects of fish would be too much mercury in tuna etc.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 01:25:28 PM »
from an evolutionary standpoint, were humans meant to eat more fish, more poultry, or more beef?

tough to say which is the healthiest. 

Cutler once said he eats so much fish when dieting that his shit turns to liquid

by far for the most part vegetables, fruit etc
more fish than poultry and beef i would say
Z

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 01:41:24 PM »
by far for the most part vegetables, fruit etc
more fish than poultry and beef i would say

In 1000% agreement there!
w

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 02:33:49 PM »
Forgive me if I am wrong, but didnt I see a post from you once that said on a dare you survived off tuna, and lettuce  for a year?

you're wrong.  at least, i don't have any recollection of saying anything to that effect.  you're forgiven  ;D

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 03:57:56 PM »
you're wrong.  at least, i don't have any recollection of saying anything to that effect.  you're forgiven  ;D

I think an123 said that

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »
I think an123 said that

hmm, in that case, i think i'm offended.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 06:51:36 PM »
I think whoever it was had a football avatar which is what made me think that, but then I could be completely wrong again.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 08:29:40 PM »

I never heard that one before.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 11:08:58 PM »
I never heard that one before.

"I shit oil" was his exact eloquent statement.

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 04:47:53 AM »
"I shit oil" was his exact eloquent statement.

That would make a good signature...

"I shit oil"

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 08:33:31 AM »
A variety of protein sources is a better idea.  That way you get more complete proteins.  Some might be lacking in certain amino acids where when you eat a varied choice of clean proteins you don't have to worry about being deficient in any amino's.  It's important to get as many amino's through your protein as you can and some fish lacks important AA's.  So vary it and your diet will be healthier.  Now loosing weight is a different story.  I know bodybuilders who will eat nothing but chicken and potatos for 12 weeks.  They get ripped, but as soon as the competition is over its back to getting healthy, not just looking ripped, but healthy from the inside out and that can only be done with using as many lean proteins sources as you can get.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »
I think whoever it was had a football avatar which is what made me think that, but then I could be completely wrong again.

Well i'll be changing it now for obvious reasons.....

by the way, thanks for sharing, Jay.  Fuckin' ew.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 12:27:15 PM »
Actually our forefathers evolved around the great lakes in Africa (a lot of fat fish there). That's why fish is so healthy for us. Fat fish is actually good because of the healthy fats. Dont skip all fats, eats some nuts, olive oil and fat fish now and then (maybe some fish oil). It'll even help you lose weight.

Switch it up if you're worried about mercury (or dioxin or whatever) poisening. A mix of healthy fat fish, egg whites (with maybe a yolk now and then), chicken, tuna, and maybe some fat-free (or skim) milk or cottage cheese (like an hour, maybe 2 before you go to bed). Whey should probably be kept for after workouts only. It doesnt offer many benefits on other parts of the day. I dont see why you would limit yourself to those two you mentioned.

Dont you have some heart (or cardiovascular?) problems? I remember that you had some sort of problem, what was that about? I recently read that a diet too high in protein causes the arteries to stiffen somewhat. So don't overdo it.
$

dawakaman

• Getbig III
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 02:11:09 PM »
Fish has the nasty habit of 'bioaccumulating' heavy metals, such as mercury. Even more nasty is the fact
that this bioaccumulating happens in the fats of the fish. So, the 'healthy'fats from fish aren't always that healthy
because of the heavy metals in fish.
The heavy metals in fish are found because they are at the lower end of the food chain, and because almost all water flows (in)directly to sea. All kinds of powerplants and chemical factories dump their waste products in sea or in rivers.

To get back to your question, you COULD do it, but i think is better to eat as many different protein sources as you can.

Peace
D

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 02:16:19 PM »
yeah i don't think just fish and whey is good.
bodybuildersreality.com