Author Topic: 1980 Olympia - CBS never released the footage  (Read 124251 times)

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 1980 mr.O. CBS never released footage
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 05:46:29 PM »
 ;D

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
 ;)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
 ;D

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
Given that photo above I would have it:

Arnold - 1st.

Mike - 2nd.

Frank - 3rd.

Chris - Does not belong there.  At all.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »
Still the best on stage that day.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
This a great article about the 1980 Mr. Olympia contest -
http://www.starkcenter.org/static/igh/articles/igh11.1.4.pdf

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 05:38:52 AM »
Given that photo above I would have it:

Arnold - 1st.

Mike - 2nd.

Frank - 3rd.

Chris - Does not belong there.  At all.

Zane and Mentzer were very close on Video, Zane much better structure but too small and looked a bit sick which he was. Mike was big but structure was not as good. Arnold won easily, best structure by a mile, bigger than all, very ripped.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 06:33:02 AM »

Interesting that I am quoted in that article but John Fair never talked to me. What he wrote was inaccurate as well. John goes into great detail about the judges at the 80 Olympia and their relationship with Arnold.

I had the original judges sheets so compiled the results and made some observations. I was standing in the Opera House before the judging and was talking with Frank Burwash and Peter McCarthy from Melbourne.

Frank was a contest promoter and Peter won the Mr Australia a couple of times plus he won every contest promoted in Australia at his peak. Someone came up to Peter and told him the judges meeting had started.

Peter was upset because no one told him. He raced off but we found out he wasn't allowed to judge because he missed the meeting. He was there for part of the meeting because he is in some of the photos.

I call this bullshit. Peter knows how to judge a bodybuilding contest and was the most respected and awarded bodybuilder in those days. If the accusation of fixing the contest is true then this is how it happened.

Paul Graham apparently decided to replace Peter with young Brendan Ryan who had won only a Junior Mr Australia title and no senior title that I am aware of. I actually judged the contest that he won.

I knew Brendan personally because I hung around Coogee Gym where Brendan trained as did Les Spendlove and Robert Nailon. We knew that Brendan stayed with Arnold when he visited LA. That suggests

they were mates and Brendan would favour Arnold. As it turned out Brendan gave Arnold clear first places in all rounds. Other judges gave several guys a 20 out of 20 score in one or more rounds. So

Brendan's score carried more weight than those who tied several guys. If we replace Brendan's score with the rightful Australian judge, Peter McCarthy, then Arnold might NOT have won. It was that close.

Of course, that is the prejudging and there is another judging at the finals. That is the time 'adjustments' can be made if promoters or officials feel 'errors' have occurred.

Fair quotes Dickerson as complaining about promoter Paul Graham who was a mate of Arnold when they lived together in late 68 up to Paul's arrest in early 69 for sending stolen cars to Australia.

Arnold wasn't arrested so many felt he owed Paul who took the rap. I was in Honolulu the day after Paul was arrested and relatives cut out a clipping showing a muscleman holding a car with the

caption about Paul being arrested by the FBI who handle cases involving interstate or foreign crimes. I sent the clipping to my buddy Robert Nailon who tells me he can't find it. Yeah, sure.

Dickerson swears that Graham was a bigot and called Chris a fag and wouldn't allow him to win the Olympia. Read what Fair wrote in that History article.

Fair used my photos and never paid me for them or got permission to use them. He won't reply to an email I sent him. Funny, that.

In the last photo below you can see Peter McCarthy to the left of Mike's head. Why wasn't he a judge that day?

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/news/bodybuilding-news/11982-mentzer-vs-arnie.html#.VLUwIVWUeMI

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 08:38:07 AM »
Interesting that I am quoted in that article but John Fair never talked to me. What he wrote was inaccurate as well. John goes into great detail about the judges at the 80 Olympia and their relationship with Arnold.

I had the original judges sheets so compiled the results and made some observations. I was standing in the Opera House before the judging and was talking with Frank Burwash and Peter McCarthy from Melbourne.

Frank was a contest promoter and Peter won the Mr Australia a couple of times plus he won every contest promoted in Australia at his peak. Someone came up to Peter and told him the judges meeting had started.

Peter was upset because no one told him. He raced off but we found out he wasn't allowed to judge because he missed the meeting. He was there for part of the meeting because he is in some of the photos.

I call this bullshit. Peter knows how to judge a bodybuilding contest and was the most respected and awarded bodybuilder in those days. If the accusation of fixing the contest is true then this is how it happened.

Paul Graham apparently decided to replace Peter with young Brendan Ryan who had won only a Junior Mr Australia title and no senior title that I am aware of. I actually judged the contest that he won.

I knew Brendan personally because I hung around Coogee Gym where Brendan trained as did Les Spendlove and Robert Nailon. We knew that Brendan stayed with Arnold when he visited LA. That suggests

they were mates and Brendan would favour Arnold. As it turned out Brendan gave Arnold clear first places in all rounds. Other judges gave several guys a 20 out of 20 score in one or more rounds. So

Brendan's score carried more weight than those who tied several guys. If we replace Brendan's score with the rightful Australian judge, Peter McCarthy, then Arnold might NOT have won. It was that close.

Of course, that is the prejudging and there is another judging at the finals. That is the time 'adjustments' can be made if promoters or officials feel 'errors' have occurred.

Fair quotes Dickerson as complaining about promoter Paul Graham who was a mate of Arnold when they lived together in late 68 up to Paul's arrest in early 69 for sending stolen cars to Australia.

Arnold wasn't arrested so many felt he owed Paul who took the rap. I was in Honolulu the day after Paul was arrested and relatives cut out a clipping showing a muscleman holding a car with the

caption about Paul being arrested by the FBI who handle cases involving interstate or foreign crimes. I sent the clipping to my buddy Robert Nailon who tells me he can't find it. Yeah, sure.

Dickerson swears that Graham was a bigot and called Chris a fag and wouldn't allow him to win the Olympia. Read what Fair wrote in that History article.

Fair used my photos and never paid me for them or got permission to use them. He won't reply to an email I sent him. Funny, that.

In the last photo below you can see Peter McCarthy to the left of Mike's head. Why wasn't he a judge that day?

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/news/bodybuilding-news/11982-mentzer-vs-arnie.html#.VLUwIVWUeMI

This is why the original footage should be released ,

Arnold being friends with judges, refusing the open class, The booing when he is announced the winner ,and all the posing (one on one) against the likes of  Dickerson (awesome muscle separation and balanced) you can see clearly that Arnold refuses to do mandatory poses against him,and wasn't marked down for it, also comparisons with  Zane and Mentzer  were the prime reasons the footage didn't make it to the public,

Just Because Arnold was pushing his image for the Conan movies and didn't want to be perceived as a fraud  in that contest

So Arnold is the only bodybuilder who deserves all the credit and all the glory ?

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

the Algebra Wizard

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »
where can the footage be seen ? i have " the comeback " dvd , but its not HD .

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
I was watching 'The Comeback' on youtube, and noticed this. But I also felt Arnold looked, I dunno, kind of old and tired. Didn't have that enthusiasm from before. Which I guess could be attributed to his focus on Hollywood?

Arnold was only 33 when he won that contest. Hardly old and tired. He just had other priorities that's all. These days, guys are lucky to qualify for their first Olympia by the time they're 33.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »
 8)

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »
Rightly or Wrongly Arnold Won.
Nothing can change that Now.

Have seen the Comeback Video & Several Magazine Articles / pictures.
Zane.. Looked to Small & Light. Great frame & structure, in shape.
2nd or 3rd.
Dickerson... Small, odd arms, good condition.
3rd to 5th.
Coe... Big, no abs, some Great poses only he could do.
5th or 6th.
Mentzer... Big, good arms & legs, chest looked small & Flat, yet looked full in the waist.
3rd or 4th.
Walker... Very big heavily muscled, looked too pale.
Hard to place, 2nd to 4th.
Arnold... Not his Best. Very light Bodyweight, Legs very Small, Upper Body 85% of peak, good condition.
Big +'s His Name his charisma his friends.
1st.

From the limited footage Etc I have seen, He Probably deserved it.

And we do judge him up against his previous Best.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
On some level that controversy was the best thing to happen to bodybuilding.  It let the eras change, but let Arnold stay relevant to bodybuilding throughout the 80s.  It also ushered in the time of Lee Haney just a few years later.  The bodybuilding world needed another dominant big man after a couple of years of nutsos like Mentzer and some small who cares guys like Zane, Franco and Dickerson.  Bannout looked carved out of plastic for his win, but he wasn't able to dominate thereafter.

Now it is all, who cares.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 04:35:03 AM »
This is my more inspirational  picture when dieting.  

Imagine a big magnet of this picture on the fridge with the tittle " walk away fatty"

Wooossshhhhh lean dry Oak

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 05:00:26 AM »
I took a lot of photos of the 1980 Mr Olympia which was in Sydney. During the finals I was shooting colour slides and got a mate in the row in front of me

to take a video. Would you believe most of that was ruined because he got so excited he started stamping his feet. I haven't looked at it to see if I

recorded the booing at the end. This mate was cheering for Roger Walker who made the finals and thus all the excitement. What a shame

because I was in a great position in the middle of the Concert Hall and we would have had a good view of what happened.

More of vics bullshit . . . has all these photos and never posts any, but every other photo he has shot is on the web.

Good shots money to be made.

Vicb is a total tool

THE BEEF

kepler2008

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 03:06:13 PM »
I was so disappointed with the Olympia and the magazines that I sold my negs and slides to Robert Nailon. Robert then sold a lot of those photos around the world and especially to Musclemag. Not knowing who to send photos to and what to send each I asked Robert.

He suggested a few magazines plus I was sending to Ironman. I wouldn't send anything to Joe. Robert said not to worry about what to send so I sent everyone the same photos. Well, Robert Kennedy was livid and never communicated with me again. Neither did he pay

for the photos I sent. So Robert the Brain got me real good. I reserved the right to have copies made for my personal use of any of the photos and slides but recently Robert has forgotten we signed an agreement. Trouble is my ex has that agreement and I have no

idea where it is. There you are, be careful in your dealings with friends and partners. Trust no one else.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »
 :D

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »
This is my more inspirational  picture when dieting.  

Imagine a big magnet of this picture on the fridge with the tittle " walk away fatty"

Wooossshhhhh lean dry Oak

I have a poster of this photo.  The ones that Arnold used to sell via mail order.  The ads were always in Muscle and Fitness magazine back in the day.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2015, 01:32:11 AM »
The 1980 Olympia has been out for YEARS on VHS and DVD..

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2015, 03:23:51 AM »
The glowing tribute to Arnold from celebrated British children's entertainer Jimmy Savile side by side with a quote from Charles Dickens is kind of funny(and not even with hindsight).  :D

;D

Mentzer and Anie seem to be the only two who are expanding the ribcage in the sidechest.That always looks more impressive than merely contracting the pecs.

Difficult to tell from a blurry photograph but Mentzer looks to have both size and conditioning in his lower body. Arnie has the best upper body,but it kind of overpowers his legs,

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2015, 03:28:48 AM »
The 1980 Olympia has been out for YEARS on VHS and DVD..

Not the CBS Covarage  of the entire contest .

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2015, 03:31:28 AM »
I have a poster of this photo.  The ones that Arnold used to sell via mail order.  The ads were always in Muscle and Fitness magazine back in the day.

Flex mag should have that picture on the cover sometime this year....

Arnold looks spectacular besides his image always sell, the magazines are dying and its a picture in full color.

Wooosshhhhhhhh Sydney

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »
Honestly, what gets me is that Peter McGough (sp?) thought the '80 Olympia was more controversial than the '81 OR '82 contests.

Yeah, Arnold wasn't quite himself in 1980 -- but he still easily K.O.ed all of the competition.  His [supposed] nearest competitor was Chris Dickerson, for Christ's sake.  That dude couldn't do a front double-biceps pose to win a novice contest in the early 80's, forget the Olympia. 

Franco "beating" about four or five guys who should've placed ahead of him in '81 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa y more controversial, Peter.  Dickerson winning the '82 Olympia over some vastly superior dudes is a whole other matter ... it wasn't until '83, with Samir winning, that things were beginning to sort out.  Even then, a bunch of the old-timers would argue that a great many bullshit results proliferate until Haney was dominant.