Author Topic: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!  (Read 765509 times)

B_MyT_2

• Getbig III
  • Kwon is the ungayer of every thread on this site!
Re: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!
« Reply #4875 on: February 11, 2021, 05:38:59 AM »
buy and hold index funds such as VTSAX

Do I just do that through a company like Schwab, or somehow on my own with no fees?

Thanks for the reply!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #4876 on: February 11, 2021, 06:07:23 AM »
America's Oldest Bank BNY Mellon Will Now Support Bitcoin

The oldest bank in America will now be storing Bitcoin on behalf of its clients, according to a report.

BNY Mellon, the oldest bank in America, will be adding support for Bitcoin on behalf of its asset-management clients, according to the Wall Street Journal. The bank will store and transfer Bitcoin and other digital currencies.

Roman Regelman, chief executive of BNY Mellon’s asset-servicing and digital businesses, said, “Digital assets are becoming part of the mainstream.”

According to the report, the bank plans to enable cryptocurrencies to flow through the same systems that it uses for its traditional currencies and stocks. It has created a prototype for doing this and is engaging with clients to see if they want to use it.

Regelman reportedly said that the bank plans to treat cryptocurrencies in the same way as traditional assets. This shows that rather than exist outside of the system—cryptocurrencies can work alongside the current financial system.

Bitcoin has recently gone through a transition from a niche asset to a mainstream, institutional-led one. With the lack of a Bitcoin ETF, Grayscale Investments has been filling the gap, providing institutional investors with a regulated way of getting exposure to Bitcoin, and other coins, via its trusts.
Elon Musk's Tesla Has Invested $1.5 Billion Into Bitcoin

Tesla has invested $1.5 billion into Bitcoin, according to an SEC filing today. "Thereafter, we invested an aggregate $1.50 billion in bitcoin under this policy and may acquire and hold digita...

Furthermore, companies have started putting Bitcoin on their balance sheet. MicroStrategy started the trend and now has a balance of around $3 billion in Bitcoin. Earlier this week, Tesla announced that it had followed suit, with a $1.5 billion Bitcoin purchase. Both purchases making it clear that Bitcoin is too big for banks to ignore—and something they are starting to embrace instead.

https://decrypt.co/57411/americas-oldest-bank-bny-mellon-will-now-support-bitcoin

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #4877 on: February 11, 2021, 06:25:42 AM »
Do I just do that through a company like Schwab, or somehow on my own with no fees?

Thanks for the reply!

VTSAX is cheap. Look up "Vtsax" on youtube for more info. You should be able to buy it from most banks (investment accounts) yourself.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #4878 on: February 11, 2021, 07:08:11 AM »
I don't care about whether we are the dominant world order, as I'm starting to not believe we are any more anyhow.  What I care about is not paying $7-8 per gallon for gas when I had gotten used to $1.89/gallon, and not having to wait in breadlines.

Oil is a tough one, in the sense that during the current time frame (between now and the next 5-10 years) prices can go either way. So, clearly with this push towards the green new deal that looks to combat climate change by creating millions of high-wage jobs in new green industries & transition our energy system towards alternative/renewable forms of energy, oil/gas will become a "thing" of the past. I foresee it slowly going into extinction sometime around 2030-35, as that's the timeframe that most big countries (USA, India, UK etc) & companies have set for full submersion into a zero-carbon reality. The big oil companies know that the writing is on the wall. So, I think it's fair to say that they will aim towards maximizing their profits during these last 5-10 years before the world makes a shift towards electric everything. The way for them to do this is to increase prices and possibly use the eleventh-hour profits to transition into a new industry or even the renewable energy sector itself.

OMR, do you and all these other guys in this thread posting such detailed info work in investments/financing or just learned it on the side?  Any good foundational books for investing you'd recommend to learn how to invest on my own outside my 401K?

I am a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with experience in both financial and managerial accounting sectors + public taxation. I have a couple of business degrees (BS w/ double major in Accounting & Finance + MBA in Accounting + CPA). At this point in my life, I only work doing quarterly taxes for small-moderate sized businesses and also do yearly taxes for a small group of public clientele (people I've known for 20+ years).

There are many day traders here that mess around with standard platforms for trading (TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, E-TRADE, Interactive Brokers etc). There are some guys here that are active retail traders that likely work for some of the big banks (JP Morgan, Citigroup, BOA, Wells, US Bancorp, Goldman). I can tell that much because I've worked for some of the big financial institutions as a staff accountant doing the books after trades and can spot a retail trader from a mile away. I do not believe anyone on here is an institutional trader (I could be wrong), as their language is typically very different from what most retail guys use. Usually, institutional traders are incredibly well versed in finance, macro/micro economics, domestic/international trade and market forecasting. Think of institutional traders as the guys/girls that move heavy volume of money for major financial institutions and hedge funds.

I can recommend some books, but please realize I am an ultra conservative investor. I am not a cowboy or as risky/speculative as some of my friends here within this thread. I am an investor in the market, not a trader. I stick with Index Funds & ETF's via Vanguard. I diversify my portfolio by allocating my funds towards Index Funds, domestic & international ETFs, Corporate & US Gov't Bonds, Hard Assets (Residential real estate), Rent-to-own mortgages between my tenants & I and via whole-life insurance. Notice how I didn't say day-trading, options trading, shorting stocks, because that's what most guys here are referring to and find fun, but it's very risky.

If you still want book recommendations, I can gladly give you my top 5-10 books to understand the financial markets & economics, but consider the source, as I am the grandpa in the bunch here.

"1"

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #4879 on: February 11, 2021, 07:20:01 AM »
SEC Should Monitor Tesla’s Elon Musk for Market Manipulation: Roubini

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission should be “looking to people” like Tesla CEO Elon Musk for market manipulation following the electric car maker’s recent decision to put bitcoin on its balance sheet, according to economist and prominent bitcoin critic Nouriel Roubini.

Musk has been tweeting about bitcoin and dogecoin in recent weeks, at one point updating the bio of his popular Twitter profile to “#bitcoin.” Tesla filed its annual 10-K report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Monday, saying it purchased about $1.5 billion worth of bitcoin in January.

The New York University economics professor similarly criticized MicroStrategy CEO Michael Saylor’s “irresponsible behavior” for converting a significant portion of the business intelligence firm’s cash reserves to bitcoin considering the cryptocurrency’s volatility. MicroStrategy currently holds 71,079 BTC, according to an SEC filing last week.

In an interview on CoinDesk TV‘s First Mover, Roubini warned bitcoin could “collapse” if Tether, the issuer of the tether (USDT) stablecoin, and crypto exchange Bitfinex are indicted this year. Tether has an eye-popping $31 billion market capitalization, and is subject to multiple ongoing investigations, including from the U.S. Department of Justice and the New York Attorney General’s office. At the center of the DOJ’s criminal investigation into Tether as an organization is whether or not USDT is used to inflate the cryptocurrency markets.

Bitfinex claimed last Friday it repaid the remaining balance of a $550 million loan to its sister firm, Tether. In 2018, the exchange borrowed over $600 million from Tether, with which it shares executives and ownership. The transaction was made public in April 2019 after the New York Attorney General’s Office alleged Bitfinex lost $850 million in customer and corporate funds to payment processor Crypto Capital Corp., and used funds from Tether’s reserve to secretly cover the shortfall.

Roubini predicts the world will eventually “phase out cash” and the U.S. will create an “e-dollar.” Central bank digital currencies will allow central bankers to swiftly maneuver monetary policy, he said, and normalize negative rates in times of economic crisis.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sec-monitor-tesla-elon-musk-063109452.html

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #4880 on: February 11, 2021, 07:26:06 AM »

Did you hear about how Musk's buying into Bitcoin with Tesla stockholder money might have been a distraction move to keep people from noticing the quality problems Tesla is having in China?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-china-idUSKBN2A818V

https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/big-short-investor-michael-burry-questions-tesla-bitcoin-dogecoin-bubble-2021-2-1030059706

https://www.coindesk.com/china-questioning-tesla-bitcoin-happened

"1"

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #4881 on: February 11, 2021, 07:29:28 AM »

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission should be “looking to people” like Tesla CEO Elon Musk for market manipulation following the electric car maker’s recent decision to put bitcoin on its balance sheet, according to economist and prominent bitcoin critic Nouriel Roubini.

Musk has been tweeting about bitcoin and dogecoin in recent weeks, at one point updating the bio of his popular Twitter profile to “#bitcoin.” Tesla filed its annual 10-K report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Monday, saying it purchased about $1.5 billion worth of bitcoin in January.

The New York University economics professor similarly criticized MicroStrategy CEO Michael Saylor’s “irresponsible behavior” for converting a significant portion of the business intelligence firm’s cash reserves to bitcoin considering the cryptocurrency’s volatility. MicroStrategy currently holds 71,079 BTC, according to an SEC filing last week.

In an interview on CoinDesk TV‘s First Mover, Roubini warned bitcoin could “collapse” if Tether, the issuer of the tether (USDT) stablecoin, and crypto exchange Bitfinex are indicted this year. Tether has an eye-popping $31 billion market capitalization, and is subject to multiple ongoing investigations, including from the U.S. Department of Justice and the New York Attorney General’s office. At the center of the DOJ’s criminal investigation into Tether as an organization is whether or not USDT is used to inflate the cryptocurrency markets.

Bitfinex claimed last Friday it repaid the remaining balance of a $550 million loan to its sister firm, Tether. In 2018, the exchange borrowed over $600 million from Tether, with which it shares executives and ownership. The transaction was made public in April 2019 after the New York Attorney General’s Office alleged Bitfinex lost $850 million in customer and corporate funds to payment processor Crypto Capital Corp., and used funds from Tether’s reserve to secretly cover the shortfall.

Roubini predicts the world will eventually “phase out cash” and the U.S. will create an “e-dollar.” Central bank digital currencies will allow central bankers to swiftly maneuver monetary policy, he said, and normalize negative rates in times of economic crisis.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sec-monitor-tesla-elon-musk-063109452.html

Roubinni is one salty mofo

evacnam

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4882 on: February 11, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »
oh my

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #4883 on: February 11, 2021, 09:00:59 AM »
Did you hear about how Musk's buying into Bitcoin with Tesla stockholder money might have been a distraction move to keep people from noticing the quality problems Tesla is having in China?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-china-idUSKBN2A818V

https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/big-short-investor-michael-burry-questions-tesla-bitcoin-dogecoin-bubble-2021-2-1030059706

https://www.coindesk.com/china-questioning-tesla-bitcoin-happened

"1"

did not know that, had a look now at those links , very interesting . . .

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #4884 on: February 11, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »

roubinni is good friends with yellen , today she complained again about the misuse of cryptocurrencies saying they're a  " a growing problem " and linking them to terrorism and criminal activity :

"I see the promise of these new technologies, but I also see the reality: cryptocurrencies have been used to launder the profits of online drug traffickers; they've been a tool to finance terrorism."

Federal law enforcement officials are also investigating whether or not bitcoin was used to fund domestic terrorism in the U.S., after a now-deceased French blogger sent $522,000 in bitcoin to far-right figures who may have been present at the U.S. Capitol insurrection on Jan. 6.

'' domestic terrorism '' lmao

https://www.coindesk.com/crypto-use-in-terrorism-a-growing-problem-yellen-says

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4885 on: February 11, 2021, 12:43:24 PM »
roubinni is good friends with yellen , today she complained again about the misuse of cryptocurrencies saying they're a  " a growing problem " and linking them to terrorism and criminal activity :

"I see the promise of these new technologies, but I also see the reality: cryptocurrencies have been used to launder the profits of online drug traffickers; they've been a tool to finance terrorism."

Federal law enforcement officials are also investigating whether or not bitcoin was used to fund domestic terrorism in the U.S., after a now-deceased French blogger sent $522,000 in bitcoin to far-right figures who may have been present at the U.S. Capitol insurrection on Jan. 6.

Lol old koont

Think btc just hit another high. I'm losing track

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4886 on: February 11, 2021, 09:18:15 PM »
https://www.decrypt.co/57328/ethereum-weth-now-settling-more-value-than-bitcoin%3famp=1

Ethereum Now Settling More Value Than Bitcoin

Ethereum is becoming the de facto crypto settlement network, due to value transfers via ETH, WETH, and stablecoins.

Ethereum long trailed Bitcoin as the top blockchain network for transferring value, but those days could be in the past as ETH and WETH transactions have surpassed Bitcoin and begun to pull away in recent weeks.

Average daily transaction value of ETH and Wrapped ETH (WETH) over the last 30 days has grown to more than $13 billion compared to just over $9 billion for Bitcoin, according to data compiled by Money Movers and provided by CoinMetrics. (At one point, ETH alone briefly surpassed Bitcoin.)

It’s another indication that Ethereum could have a leg up on Bitcoin as a functional digital currency suited to the everyday needs of casual users and hardcore traders alike.

Adding the value of transactions via dollar-pegged stablecoins USDC and DAI to the Ethereum network increases the gap even further, with nearly 80% more dollar-denominated value being transferred compared to Bitcoin over the last 30 days.

Compare that to a year ago, when native ETH was seeing just 13% the value traffic of Bitcoin, and it’s easy to see how much things have changed. Perhaps one year from now, we could be looking at a new king in the crypto economy.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4887 on: February 11, 2021, 09:47:13 PM »
https://www.decrypt.co/57328/ethereum-weth-now-settling-more-value-than-bitcoin%3famp=1

Ethereum Now Settling More Value Than Bitcoin

Ethereum is becoming the de facto crypto settlement network, due to value transfers via ETH, WETH, and stablecoins.

Ethereum long trailed Bitcoin as the top blockchain network for transferring value, but those days could be in the past as ETH and WETH transactions have surpassed Bitcoin and begun to pull away in recent weeks.

Average daily transaction value of ETH and Wrapped ETH (WETH) over the last 30 days has grown to more than $13 billion compared to just over $9 billion for Bitcoin, according to data compiled by Money Movers and provided by CoinMetrics. (At one point, ETH alone briefly surpassed Bitcoin.)

It’s another indication that Ethereum could have a leg up on Bitcoin as a functional digital currency suited to the everyday needs of casual users and hardcore traders alike.

Adding the value of transactions via dollar-pegged stablecoins USDC and DAI to the Ethereum network increases the gap even further, with nearly 80% more dollar-denominated value being transferred compared to Bitcoin over the last 30 days.

Compare that to a year ago, when native ETH was seeing just 13% the value traffic of Bitcoin, and it’s easy to see how much things have changed. Perhaps one year from now, we could be looking at a new king in the crypto economy.

This is a bit like saying because more people transact in physical US dollar notes than in gold, that paper would be a better investment than gold:)

Lets please not confuse the difference between a platform (ETH), with a store of value (BTC), nor confuse turnover of transactions on a freely available protocol with that protocol's underlying value.

As bitcoin owners, we need to be unified in directing all potential store of value mutual belief into Bitcoin. (United Bitcoiner's will rise, but divided they fall).

Any dilution into alts has failed over time and should be discouraged and avoided. Eth is a PLATFORM. Was never intended as a store of value, but rather as a free protocol to enable smart contracts. For that vision to succeed we need ETH to essentially be free (as was Vitalik's vision as set out in the Eth whitepaper).

But yes, we will in the future see lots of value traded using that free platform, just like we see lots of value being built on the internet protocol (which is also essentially free).

I agree though, in the short term we also see people speculate in Eth and other alts.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4888 on: February 11, 2021, 10:53:41 PM »

He is both a bitter old man, and an idiot. In many ways, much like Mr Anabolic. lol  ;D

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4889 on: February 11, 2021, 10:56:11 PM »
America's Oldest Bank BNY Mellon Will Now Support Bitcoin

The oldest bank in America will now be storing Bitcoin on behalf of its clients, according to a report.

BNY Mellon, the oldest bank in America, will be adding support for Bitcoin on behalf of its asset-management clients, according to the Wall Street Journal. The bank will store and transfer Bitcoin and other digital currencies.

Roman Regelman, chief executive of BNY Mellon’s asset-servicing and digital businesses, said, “Digital assets are becoming part of the mainstream.”

According to the report, the bank plans to enable cryptocurrencies to flow through the same systems that it uses for its traditional currencies and stocks. It has created a prototype for doing this and is engaging with clients to see if they want to use it.

Regelman reportedly said that the bank plans to treat cryptocurrencies in the same way as traditional assets. This shows that rather than exist outside of the system—cryptocurrencies can work alongside the current financial system.

Bitcoin has recently gone through a transition from a niche asset to a mainstream, institutional-led one. With the lack of a Bitcoin ETF, Grayscale Investments has been filling the gap, providing institutional investors with a regulated way of getting exposure to Bitcoin, and other coins, via its trusts.
Elon Musk's Tesla Has Invested $1.5 Billion Into Bitcoin

Tesla has invested $1.5 billion into Bitcoin, according to an SEC filing today. "Thereafter, we invested an aggregate $1.50 billion in bitcoin under this policy and may acquire and hold digita...

Furthermore, companies have started putting Bitcoin on their balance sheet. MicroStrategy started the trend and now has a balance of around $3 billion in Bitcoin. Earlier this week, Tesla announced that it had followed suit, with a $1.5 billion Bitcoin purchase. Both purchases making it clear that Bitcoin is too big for banks to ignore—and something they are starting to embrace instead.

https://decrypt.co/57411/americas-oldest-bank-bny-mellon-will-now-support-bitcoin

Pretty amazing and only really just the beginning.

On a related note, I recently installed a lightening wallet. So I can (and do) now transact in Satoshies in instantaneous time and zero fees (and anywhere in the world). Its awesome.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4890 on: February 11, 2021, 11:10:17 PM »
Most people would rather own a full coin or several coins, and Ethereum makes that a very affordable option for retail investors and especially younger people.

Griffith - you are an intelligent person, so I hope you can also see the idiocy of the logic applied by "young people" as mentioned in your post.

This is like saying most people would rather own a "full coin" of silver, rather than a "half coin" of gold because having a "full coin" would make them feel better. Its idiotic logic, (but I agree with you there are some people who have brains that really do think like this!).

Its like the people who buy "penny stocks" in a worthless company because they are "cheaper", rather than a stock in a company such Apple or Amazon because there "expensive".

But yes, you are correct that some people do think like this. And indeed this is why we see alts come (and then go...).

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4891 on: February 12, 2021, 01:08:09 AM »
Bitcoin etf now a reality. Also, Florida will allow payment of taxes in BTC.

First North American Bitcoin ETF Approved by Canadian Securities Regulator
https://www.coindesk.com/first-north-american-bitcoin-etf-approved-by-canadian-securities-regulator

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4892 on: February 12, 2021, 01:12:31 AM »
Griffith - you are an intelligent person, so I hope you can also see the idiocy of the logic applied by "young people" as mentioned in your post.

This is like saying most people would rather own a "full coin" of silver, rather than a "half coin" of gold because having a "full coin" would make them feel better. Its idiotic logic, (but I agree with you there are some people who have brains that really do think like this!).

Its like the people who buy "penny stocks" in a worthless company because they are "cheaper", rather than a stock in a company such Apple or Amazon because there "expensive".

But yes, you are correct that some people do think like this. And indeed this is why we see alts come (and then go...).

I've decided I'm. selling 90 percent of.my ETH today and buying on the next BTC dip. Could be a short term mistake but I'd like to focus on this one digital asset moving forward. 

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #4893 on: February 12, 2021, 02:04:21 AM »

As if terrorists have not used fiat currencies before lol! I saw a statistic that there is more illegal activity going on with fiat currencies than the market cap of Bitcoin. Someone should for once just confront Yellen with statistics. But she will probably just ignore it. They have stolen an election after all. Facts and proof do not matter to them.

Well perhaps after things get violent will they shit their fucking pie holes! They are going to be dead in a few years anyway. Yellen is 74. She should go retire somewhere she has no business dictating to people with one foot in the grave.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #4894 on: February 12, 2021, 02:19:17 AM »

Your post reeks of bias towards Bitcoin. You're comparing Ethereum with a "worthless penny stock" and Bitcoin with Apple and Amazon. Ethereum is hardly worthless and being utilized in a lot of smart contract applications. An entire financial system can be built on a platform like Ethereum.

You bailed on Bitcoin when the price dropped which means you are a trader and not someone who believes in the project long term - except if it will have a financial benefit.

So if money is what motivates you why did you not rather invest in the Ethereum killer Cardano? It is further along with it's proof of stake development than Ethereum. And the main Cardano developer used to work on Ethereum with Vitalik Buterin before he parted ways.

Look how much Cardano has moved compared to Bitcoin and Ethereum the last year:

ADA - +1,229.75%
BTC - +360.66%
ETH - +$558.78%

Had you invested your 2020 money into Cardano instead of BTC your porfolio's value would have been almost 4 times larger now. It is all just dollars and cents for you after all since you got out of BTC when you saw the price tank.

Cardano looks like a very promising asset and might upstage Ethereum. Ethereum has a lot of bugs and potential security holes to sort out because it was not designed from the ground up as proof of stake blockchain 3.0 like Cardano. I've converted some Ethereum to Cardano and also had some holdings from a few years ago.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #4895 on: February 12, 2021, 02:24:10 AM »
I've decided I'm. selling 90 percent of.my ETH today and buying on the next BTC dip. Could be a short term mistake but I'd like to focus on this one digital asset moving forward.
A strategy I want to try is to hop from one to the other. What I have noticed is Bitcoin will go up, then it will trade sideways. Then Ethereum will follow. I might try this with a few Ethereum coins. The trick is spotting when each will move. And sometimes news like Tesla's announcement can affect the price. I was sleeping when that was announced and by the time I got up the price had already jumped to $48,000. Oh well I still think Ethereum has the potential to shoot to 20k or more this year. We'll see!

For ADA the high estimates appear to be $9-10. ADA is approaching it's ATH of $1.18.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4896 on: February 12, 2021, 02:34:50 AM »
A strategy I want to try is to hop from one to the other. What I have noticed is Bitcoin will go up, then it will trade sideways. Then Ethereum will follow. I might try this with a few Ethereum coins. The trick is spotting when each will move. And sometimes news like Tesla's announcement can affect the price. I was sleeping when that was announced and by the time I got up the price had already jumped to $48,000. Oh well I still think Ethereum has the potential to shoot to 20k or more this year. We'll see!

For ADA the high estimates appear to be $9-10. ADA is approaching it's ATH of $1.18.

Yeah, that seems to be the prevailing theory amongst crypto traders. From BTC, to ETH, to lower market cap coins and keep rotating.

At the end of the day, though,  the goal for all these folks is always to acquire more bitcoin.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4897 on: February 12, 2021, 02:42:46 AM »
Well done to Miami. Super smart move. I am immediately inclined to consider investing in Miami. What a progressive city. Great way to diversify the economy and employment etc away from being tourism and hospitality dominated. And poised to make Miami citizens some of the wealthiest and finically secure in the world over time, offering the opportunity for many to attain "one-coiner" status,

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4898 on: February 12, 2021, 05:21:50 AM »
Your post reeks of bias towards Bitcoin. You're comparing Ethereum with a "worthless penny stock" and Bitcoin with Apple and Amazon. Ethereum is hardly worthless and being utilized in a lot of smart contract applications. An entire financial system can be built on a platform like Ethereum.

You bailed on Bitcoin when the price dropped which means you are a trader and not someone who believes in the project long term - except if it will have a financial benefit.

So if money is what motivates you why did you not rather invest in the Ethereum killer Cardano? It is further along with it's proof of stake development than Ethereum. And the main Cardano developer used to work on Ethereum with Vitalik Buterin before he parted ways.

Look how much Cardano has moved compared to Bitcoin and Ethereum the last year:

ADA - +1,229.75%
BTC - +360.66%
ETH - +$558.78%

Had you invested your 2020 money into Cardano instead of BTC your porfolio's value would have been almost 4 times larger now. It is all just dollars and cents for you after all since you got out of BTC when you saw the price tank.

Cardano looks like a very promising asset and might upstage Ethereum. Ethereum has a lot of bugs and potential security holes to sort out because it was not designed from the ground up as proof of stake blockchain 3.0 like Cardano. I've converted some Ethereum to Cardano and also had some holdings from a few years ago.

Comparing Ethereum to 'penny stocks' and calling its platform 'worthless' is of course just plain ludicrous.

He doesn't seem to grasp that various cryptocurrencies will and do co-exist, as do various currencies and commodities. With commodities we have gold, silver, platinum, palladium and many others. Same with reserve currencies.

His argument that ETH was not intended to be 'store of value' is disingenuous, as neither was BTC, it was supposed to be a digital currency used primarily for payments. The narrative changed more towards 'store of value' and more recently 'digital gold' when the large fluctuations in value made it impractical to use as a currency for payments.

And of course Ethereum is a platform and Ether its currency. ETH has been around since 2013 and is the second oldest cryptocurrency, it survived the cryptocurrency crash last cycle and has had exceptional growth, yet he claims every 'alts has failed over time'.

He also tries to distort the argument of why people would opt to buy several Ethereum coins instead of a fraction of Bitcoin for the same price.

If BTC reaches 100K, that's 2X, if 200K, that's 4X.

If ETH reaches 5K it's almost 3X, if 10K it's 5.5X, and 20K that's 11X.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #4899 on: February 12, 2021, 06:03:13 AM »

I sold my ETH and converted it over to BTC a couple years back and have never slept better. BTC is an incredible innovation RIGHT NOW. It serves it's purpose extremely well RIGHT NOW. It has the moat. It has the hard cap of 21 million. It is decentralized. The big time companies will soon be buying in in droves. It is a once in a lifetime, grandslam pitch right now the center of the plate.

With ETH it's more about hype and speculation. I suspect a good bit of it is based on people who believe they missed the BTC train and are simply getting too cute with their thought process.

And that isn't me hating on Ethereum, I don't necessarily think it being a small portion of one's portfolio is a bad thing.

Maybe some of it comes down to the "would you rather own the gold or the shovels" analogy.

I'll take the gold in this case.