Author Topic: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!  (Read 765605 times)

obsidian

• Getbig V
Re: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!
« Reply #5525 on: March 16, 2021, 05:03:36 AM »
It’s classed as an asset so it’s in the capital gain boat where you only pay tax on the exit. Assuming your interest is paid in BTC......

Otherwise the scenario would be you earn 3% on 100K = and pay tax on 3k of BTC. Price then tanks to 50k where your 3k is now worth 1.5k but you already paid tax on the 3k and you can’t get a rebate.

It’s the same as a house. You only pay upon the exit assuming your interest is paid in BTC.
If you have say Ethereum and the interesting is paid in ETH does the same apply as for BTC? I would assume so. Thanks for your input!

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5526 on: March 16, 2021, 05:05:25 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/roslynlayton/2021/03/11/sec-stumbles-in-ripple-case-lost-in-a-maze-of-its-own-making/?sh=4af6bef62e9b

SEC Stumbles In Ripple Case, Lost In A Maze Of Its Own Making

Pushback against the SEC's Ripple case reveal its arbitrary and illogical premise.

When the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filed its multi-billion dollar lawsuit against the blockchain technology company Ripple and two executives in December, the timing was doubly peculiar. The complaint alleged that Ripple’s sales of the cryptocurrency XRP from 2013 to the present were illegal, unregistered security offerings rather than the distribution of a digital token to build a payments network. The SEC waiting seven years to make this allegation with billions of XRP tokens now coursing through the secondary crypto markets was strange enough. But the case was also filed in the final hours of outgoing SEC chairman Jay Clayton and then dumped on an evenly-split commission heading towards a new Administration.

By watching the volley of filings heat up the case docket, it has become clear that the SEC’s decision to sue Ripple was misguided. And in recent days, a series of developments are starting to make it look like a disastrous mistake that the presumed incoming chairman, Gary Gensler, will have to sort out.

The SEC probably didn’t expect the storm that Clayton’s final act has kicked up, and it has exposed the inherent weakness in the decision to sue. It began on January 1, when a group of XRP holders led by Rhode Island attorney John E. Deaton struck back at the agency.

Deaton, a personal injury lawyer with class action experience, filed a petition in the U.S. District Court in his home state to force the SEC to exclude his XRP holdings from being defined as a security. He says he didn’t buy XRP as an investment contract and never considered it a security, and the SEC’s action against Ripple unfairly harmed him when it sent its value plunging and forced crypto exchanges to start delisting the token. After filing his action, Deaton says he was inundated with requests from thousands of fellow XRP retail holders wanting to join his case.

Last Friday, the SEC’s response to Deaton landed in Rhode Island. For those watching the Ripple case in New York, it carried an astonishing argument: the SEC asked to dismiss Deaton’s petition because no determination has yet been made on whether XRP is a security.  Put two and two together, and the SEC is saying that Ripple and its two top executives had to have reasonable knowledge of something seven years ago that the agency itself wasn’t sure about last Friday. One wonders which part of the 1933 Securities Act the SEC will eventually use to argue that Ripple is obliged to have psychic powers to operate lawfully in the United States.

Co-defendants Brad Garlinghouse and Chris Larsen, top Ripple executives, had sent letters to the New York judge on March 3, anticipating their own motions to dismiss the lawsuit with arguments around “fair notice and due process”. Two days later, the SEC’s response to Deaton only made their arguments even more obvious.  Are the SEC staff attorneys failing to show for Zoom meetings to coordinate with each other? It’s no wonder that Ripple filed Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests for internal SEC documents and communications that could show that while seven years worth of high-profile developments were going on related to XRP, the agency’s actions were as unclear and confusing. Kind of like the contradictory filings they just made two days apart in New York and Rhode Island.

On March 8, the SEC seemed to panic.  It fired off a letter to the New York judge demanding she strike the “fair notice” defense from the Ripple case altogether, calling it “improper” and “spurious” and seeking an immediate hearing to decide on it. If the judge disagrees, one can only wonder what is lurking in the internal SEC communications that Ripple might find from that FOIA request and other discovery measures. What internal work went into the 2018 announcement by then-Director of Corporation Finance William Hinman that ether (ETH) is not a security, given its similarities to XRP?   Which crypto exchanges asked for clear guidance from the SEC on XRP’s legal status before listing the token, and what were the agency’s internal discussions and responses? How many opportunities was the SEC given since 2013 to give Ripple and XRP holders fair notice about XRP’s status, and what went into every decision to let those opportunities pass?

I called this case the cryptocurrency trial of the century in December, and I’m being vindicated with each development. Not only is the future of the U.S. crypto industry at stake, but the arrogance of unrestrained regulators making policy through enforcement is on trial as well. The SEC has made clear it doesn’t care how many investors it harms or how many companies it drives overseas as it seeks to stretch its authority beyond common sense. The makings of what appears to be a class action lawsuit against the SEC on this issue confirms the backlash against its overreach.

The most heartening development this week was the introduction of bipartisan legislation by Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC), senior Republican on the House Financial Services Committee, to establish a public-private working group led by the SEC and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) to begin hammering out a clear regulatory framework for digital assets. I participated in a Real Clear Policy panel discussion in January with McHenry on crypto regulation, and he spoke of his determination to put an end to the agency’s overreach. It was on the same day President Biden nominated Gary Gensler to chair the SEC.

Gensler said in his Senate confirmation hearing in February that he thinks the SEC should only use its enforcement resources when it can address big problems in the markets.  So it would stand to reason that the new chairman will address the biggest problem for crypto markets by investing SEC resources in McHenry’s working group, rather than in Jay Clayton’s misguided lawsuit that might blow up in the agency’s face.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5527 on: March 16, 2021, 05:06:00 AM »
XRP holders seek to join Ripple in fighting SEC lawsuit
In new legal filings, XRP holders blame SEC for causing ‘multi-billions in losses’ and say they intend to file a class-action lawsuit against the agency.

https://forkast.news/xrp-join-sec-lawsuit-against-ripple/

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #5528 on: March 16, 2021, 07:46:41 AM »
Can you please provide more info on which platform you are using for this and what the interest rate is etc.? I am interested in doing the same. Thanks bro!

I'm using Luno, not sure if it's available in the US.

The interest rates are 4% for BTC and ETH and for USDC it is 7.6%, paid monthly. These are targeted amounts, so the interest can be higher or lower.

The crypto can be transferred in and out of a savings wallet at any time with no minimum amounts required.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5529 on: March 16, 2021, 02:06:22 PM »
If you have say Ethereum and the interesting is paid in ETH does the same apply as for BTC? I would assume so. Thanks for your input!

Depending on your country it should be all the same providing it’s a crypto. So whether that is BTC, ETH, DOT etc all coins fall under the asset banner and will be treated the same.

Interest paid in crypto on crypto is like getting a free upgraded kitchen in your house. They will only tax you on the exit ;)

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5530 on: March 16, 2021, 09:36:56 PM »
Guys, with tax advice remember it depends on country to country. In the places I am domiciled for tax purposes, I pay zero tax on any capital gains. But yes, in some countries, the "gain" would only be taxable if realized. Makes it complicated it you are an active trader. Easier if you simply HODL. Then there's the issue of who would even know if you made gains, especially if you are not using an on-shore exchange. Some people never will sell the BTC, but will then borrow against it and spend the borrowings in local fiat currency. Some countries might require you to "mark to market" in assessing any gain. Then there's the issue of being taxed on income if you are a classified as a "professional trader" It's a complicated area! My view is acquire then HODL. At some point, if it becomes a large part of your total wealth, you will have some decision to make in terms of where you want to live globally and how you wish to realize any of those gains.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5531 on: March 16, 2021, 09:38:39 PM »
On a different note, I am not a short term chartist. But it does seem that we have found a new base for BTC at 55K and ETH $2000. The longer these hold the stronger the base becomes for the next upward momentum move...

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #5532 on: March 16, 2021, 10:22:22 PM »
If a person trades in cryptocurrency, for instance regularly exchanges one crypto for another and then stores some of their profits in a stablecoin, but never cashes out into fiat currency, would they still be taxed?

I’ve read that simply exchanging one cryptocurrency for another is a taxable event, but would this be taxed on even if it has not been sold and transferred to fiat currency?

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5533 on: March 16, 2021, 10:45:09 PM »
If a person trades in cryptocurrency, for instance regularly changes one crypto for another and then stores some of their profits in a stablecoin, but never cashes out into fiat currency, would they still be taxed?

I’ve read that simply exchanging one cryptocurrency for another is a taxable event, but would this be taxed on even if it has not been sold and transferred to fiat currency?

Because it is classed as an asset, the taxable event is based on when you started holding and when you stopped holding.

It is irrelevant what asset you moved into after you stopped holding, the initial event becomes taxable the second you stopped holding and all assets can be valued in local currency.

People in 2017-2018 got a massive wake up call when they sold their 10M BTC into XRP then got a knock on the door for a tax bill.

It’s all part of being regulated.

Depending how much you hold you could look into debt structures against BTC rather than selling or look at moving countries to friendlier tax authorities.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5534 on: March 16, 2021, 10:52:08 PM »
If it’s a small dip I have it as:
53.6k (pretty close)

The dip is still in play. We aren’t out of the woods yet.

Look to the 49k-51k range.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #5535 on: March 17, 2021, 02:54:49 AM »
Depends how you view this dip. I commend your ball size when you went in from 56k.

The big boys liquidated 0.5B in shorts when it went to ATH. They then liquidated 1B of longs down to 54.5k. Carnage, heinous, wreckt!

It bounced from 53.2k and there is a lot of buying pressure.

If it’s a small dip I have it as:
53.6k (pretty close)

I set a stop loss when  it started heading back up and licking 56.5k. Just about broke even. slight loss.  I wasn't levergeed much and only had a small position. Just happy it bounced back up. I saw the hourly charts going red and said fuck it. Gonna wait for this next short term dip to end.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5536 on: March 17, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »
Whoa. Who could have saw that pump coming?  Lol

Things were definitely heading down and then this happened. Haven't had time to check the news. Wonder what it was.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5537 on: March 17, 2021, 01:11:05 PM »
Whoa. Who could have saw that pump coming?  Lol

Things were definitely heading down and then this happened. Haven't had time to check the news. Wonder what it was.

Fed announced 0% interest rates to 2023, 7% GDP, 2% inflation and 4.5% unemployment.

Of course, they didn’t mention the fact they can’t control their debt accumulation or the required printing or what their plan is to remain solvent.

Lit up everything because hey, just show us some lofty goals but don’t say how you will do it because that will ruin the game lol.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5538 on: March 17, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »
Fed announced 0% interest rates to 2023, 7% GDP, 2% inflation and 4.5% unemployment.

Of course, they didn’t mention the fact they can’t control their debt accumulation or the required printing or what their plan is to remain solvent.

Lit up everything because hey, just show us some lofty goals but don’t say how you will do it because that will ruin the game lol.

Thanks man. Also just heard some news about Goldman Sachs but I dont have the details. I'm stuck at work...

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5539 on: March 17, 2021, 01:29:12 PM »
Morgan Stanley capitulated and announced they are allowing wealthy clients access to Bitcoin funds.

Need to have 2M minimum with them for at least 6mths. Can’t allocate more than 2.5% of your total into Bitcoin.

The 2.5% is more about them wanting to prevent a sell run on their other funds otherwise we’d be seeing 10%-20% allocations going on.

Morgan’s total management value is 900B. Assume they bring a 60,000 coin demand from their clients and that is 2% of the supply in exchanges that would be removed from the supply pool......

Oracle hasn’t even bought their 70,000 coins yet (another 2.5% of supply). Other major banks will follow (94% market share).

The inbound drain of coins from exchanges is something very real. We might see a very real institutional FOMO driving the spike of price much higher than people expect this bullrun.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5540 on: March 17, 2021, 01:30:47 PM »
Morgan Stanley capitulated and announced they are allowing wealthy clients access to Bitcoin funds.

Need to have 2M minimum with them for at least 6mths. Can’t allocate more than 2.5% of your total into Bitcoin.

The 2.5% is more about them wanting to prevent a sell run on their other funds otherwise we’d be seeing 10%-20% allocations going on.

Morgan’s total management value is 900B. Assume they bring a 60,000 coin demand from their clients and that is 2% of the supply in exchanges that would be removed from the supply pool......

Oracle hasn’t even bought their 70,000 coins yet (another 2.5% of supply). Other major banks will follow (94% market share).

The inbound drain of coins from exchanges is something very real. We might see a very real institutional FOMO driving the spike of price much higher than people expect this bullrun.

Thanks Mayday. My limit order kicked in earlier today. Lets see how far this goes. But I missed the meat of this run thus far. Damn.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5541 on: March 17, 2021, 05:58:12 PM »
Hey obsidian? What's going on with the Ethereum miners "going on  strike" at the end of the month? What's your view on how that will effect the price? Short term/long term. Sorry if you already answered this but I've been so busy I dont have time to search the thread.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #5542 on: March 17, 2021, 08:04:41 PM »
Hey obsidian? What's going on with the Ethereum miners "going on  strike" at the end of the month? What's your view on how that will effect the price? Short term/long term. Sorry if you already answered this but I've been so busy I dont have time to search the thread.
Actually another Ethereum Improvement Proposal just came out: EIP-3368. This proposal calls for the immediate increase of block rewards from 2 to 3. This was an initiative pushed by miners to counter the gas fee burning. Many miners are willing to accept EIP-1559 if the block reward increases to 3.

https://www.worldstockmarket.net/ethereum-developers-publish-eip-3368-to-reduce-miners-discontent-with-burning-fees/

https://eips.ethereum.org/EIPS/eip-3368

Simple Summary

Changes the block reward paid to proof-of-work (POW) miners to 3 ETH from existing 2 ETH and starts a decay schedule for next two years to 1 ETH Block Reward.

Abstract

Set the block reward to 3 ETH and then decrease it slightly every block for 4,724,000 blocks (approximately 2 years) until it reaches 1 ETH.

Motivation

A sudden drop in PoW mining rewards could result in a sudden precipitous decrease in mining profitability that may drive miners to auction off their hashrate to the highest bidder while they figure out what to do with their now “worthless” hardware. If enough hashrate is auctioned off in this way at the same time, an attacker will be able to rent a large amount of hashing power for a short period of time at relatively low cost vs. reward and potentially attack the network. By setting the block reward to X (where X is enough to offset the sudden profitability decrease) and then decreasing it over time to Y (where Y is a number below the sudden profitability decrease), we both avoid introducing long term inflation while at the same time spreading out the rate that individual miners cross into a transitional range. This approach offers a higher level of confidence and published schedule of yield, while allowing mining participants time to gracefully repurpose/sell their hardware. This greatly increases ethereums PoW security by keeping incentives aligned to ethereum and not being force projected to short term brokerage for the highest bidder. Additionally the decay promotes a known schedule of a deflationary curve, aligning to the overall Minimal Viable Issuance directive aligned to a 2 year transition schedule for Proof of Stake, consensus replacement of Proof of Work. Security is paramount in cryptocurrency blockchains and the risk to a 51% non-resistant chain is real. The scope of Ethereum’s current hashrate has expanded to hundreds of thousands of new participants and over 2.5x original ATH hashrate/difficulty. While the largest by hashrate crypto is bitcoin, ethereum is not far behind the total network size in security aspects. This proposal is focused to keep that superiority in security one of the key aspects.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5543 on: March 17, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »
ADA making a run for the border.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5544 on: March 17, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »
It is making a good run.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5545 on: March 18, 2021, 01:27:02 AM »
Actually another Ethereum Improvement Proposal just came out: EIP-3368. This proposal calls for the immediate increase of block rewards from 2 to 3. This was an initiative pushed by miners to counter the gas fee burning. Many miners are willing to accept EIP-1559 if the block reward increases to 3.

https://www.worldstockmarket.net/ethereum-developers-publish-eip-3368-to-reduce-miners-discontent-with-burning-fees/

https://eips.ethereum.org/EIPS/eip-3368

Simple Summary

Changes the block reward paid to proof-of-work (POW) miners to 3 ETH from existing 2 ETH and starts a decay schedule for next two years to 1 ETH Block Reward.

Abstract

Set the block reward to 3 ETH and then decrease it slightly every block for 4,724,000 blocks (approximately 2 years) until it reaches 1 ETH.

Motivation

A sudden drop in PoW mining rewards could result in a sudden precipitous decrease in mining profitability that may drive miners to auction off their hashrate to the highest bidder while they figure out what to do with their now “worthless” hardware. If enough hashrate is auctioned off in this way at the same time, an attacker will be able to rent a large amount of hashing power for a short period of time at relatively low cost vs. reward and potentially attack the network. By setting the block reward to X (where X is enough to offset the sudden profitability decrease) and then decreasing it over time to Y (where Y is a number below the sudden profitability decrease), we both avoid introducing long term inflation while at the same time spreading out the rate that individual miners cross into a transitional range. This approach offers a higher level of confidence and published schedule of yield, while allowing mining participants time to gracefully repurpose/sell their hardware. This greatly increases ethereums PoW security by keeping incentives aligned to ethereum and not being force projected to short term brokerage for the highest bidder. Additionally the decay promotes a known schedule of a deflationary curve, aligning to the overall Minimal Viable Issuance directive aligned to a 2 year transition schedule for Proof of Stake, consensus replacement of Proof of Work. Security is paramount in cryptocurrency blockchains and the risk to a 51% non-resistant chain is real. The scope of Ethereum’s current hashrate has expanded to hundreds of thousands of new participants and over 2.5x original ATH hashrate/difficulty. While the largest by hashrate crypto is bitcoin, ethereum is not far behind the total network size in security aspects. This proposal is focused to keep that superiority in security one of the key aspects.

Sounds like a bandaid solution to be honest. The incentive seems to last only a few years.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5546 on: March 18, 2021, 01:55:40 AM »

yup, kicking ass lately.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #5547 on: March 18, 2021, 02:14:27 AM »
bitcoin spiked from 55k to 58k when the FED announced yesterday that it would keep rates unchanged to around 2023. So people are buying bitcoin in that moment as an investment for an ultra low interest rate environment; I think that fits with the view of bitcoin as a kind of digital gold. Interesting stuff to witness.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5548 on: March 18, 2021, 05:00:55 AM »
bitcoin spiked from 55k to 58k when the FED announced yesterday that it would keep rates unchanged to around 2023. So people are buying bitcoin in that moment as an investment for an ultra low interest rate environment; I think that fits with the view of bitcoin as a kind of digital gold. Interesting stuff to witness.

Rally based on knowing more QE is coming along with more coronavirus handouts.

We get hyperinflation on stocks, collectables, luxury goods, high end property and deflation on technology, consumer goods and wages.

We are drowning in deflation (wage deflation) because debt is inflating all things scarce making it appear like you are drowning in inflation.  Property flies up not because your wages flew up but because debt flew up. Debt is deflationary by nature because of interest. Ie It sucks out more than it puts in.

46.8M millionaires on the planet. 18.6M of them are in the US. There are 17M BTC mined coins of a possible 21M. Probably 2% of the 46.8M millionaires hold BTC.

Supply on exchanges since the pandemic has dropped from 3.1M coins to 2.6M coins resulting in a 6 fold price increase. If they rationed the remaining 2.6M coins to one per buyer, the remaining 45M millionaires have a 6% chance of owning 1 coin.

BTC becomes a blackhole triggering a deflationary spiral which will result in the endgame of monetisation of debt.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5549 on: March 18, 2021, 08:56:04 AM »
so now bitcoin is being used as an email scam.  I get a random email saying I won .890989 BTC in some random draw.  Just click on the shady link to accept.  lol.