Author Topic: Any Jack Chick fans?  (Read 11208 times)

Andro-Kids

Any Jack Chick fans?
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »
I know Jack Chick was controversial and considered too extreme by some. But his fire and brimstone comic strips brought a lot of people to The Gospel. While I was already Christian before I encountered Jack Chick's material, his message really deepened my faith. It gave me a swift kick in the pants that was sorely needed. Amen.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Any Jack Chick fans?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 06:56:41 AM »
I do remember these comics when I was kid.  They used to keep copies in our church library way back then, but I didn't really know anything about them.

They do cut to the chase and don't hold back LOL.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
I used to pass them out in Church in the 70's. The elders didn't appreciate it. I guess the message of God is love, and forgiveness was more along the lines of what they wanted to talk about.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 06:29:51 AM »
I used to pass them out in Church in the 70's. The elders didn't appreciate it. I guess the message of God is love, and forgiveness was more along the lines of what they wanted to talk about.

You're dead on.  Churches today don't often preach the "grace and wrath" of God.  Easier to just speak to the "grace" part.   That whole "wrath", "sin", "judgement", "accountability" stuff is tough for so many to hear and accept....easier to avoid it altogether.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
You're dead on.  Churches today don't often preach the "grace and wrath" of God.  Easier to just speak to the "grace" part.   That whole "wrath", "sin", "judgement", "accountability" stuff is tough for so many to hear and accept....easier to avoid it altogether.

Agreed. why this is, is certainly debatable. What I think is rather cynical. The more members a church has, the more money is available to it. People like Olsteen have figured out a watered down feel good sermon of inclusion nets much more money than a fire and brimstone sermon. Also, most Christians really don't spend a lot of time reading much less studying the bible and whats in it. Most have been spoon fed certain scriptures over and over. When confronted with the "other" scriptures by people like Rev Phelps they are aghast.  That's not in THEIR bible! People meld the bible into what they want it to be. I've heard more than one person tell me, Oh yes, I believe in God, Jesus and the bible, I just don't believe people that are basically good will go to hell because they are Buddhist and not Christian. Because to them, their personal religion can't be that awful so they have convinced themselves it just aint so regardless of what the bible says.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
MoS, do you see any particular significance to such an undeniable and strong attachment of "PRIDE!" to homosexuality?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 01:25:29 PM »
Agreed. why this is, is certainly debatable. What I think is rather cynical. The more members a church has, the more money is available to it. People like Olsteen have figured out a watered down feel good sermon of inclusion nets much more money than a fire and brimstone sermon. Also, most Christians really don't spend a lot of time reading much less studying the bible and whats in it. Most have been spoon fed certain scriptures over and over. When confronted with the "other" scriptures by people like Rev Phelps they are aghast.  That's not in THEIR bible! People meld the bible into what they want it to be. I've heard more than one person tell me, Oh yes, I believe in God, Jesus and the bible, I just don't believe people that are basically good will go to hell because they are Buddhist and not Christian. Because to them, their personal religion can't be that awful so they have convinced themselves it just aint so regardless of what the bible says.

All super solid observations.

I don't think Joel Osteen has read the entire bible LOL.....he's an anti-Christ IMHO.  He is the living embodiment of Jude 1:4.

Spoonfed believers are a definite product of the RCC.   The catechism dictated by the teaching magisterium wants biblical communication and interpretation filtered only through the papacy and down to individual churches.   It's a running joke for many years that Catholics neither read nor bring their bibles to mass because the priest will tell them all they need to know.

Yep twisted scripture is a definite tool people utilize.  Eisegeting passages instead of exegeting them.   Prime example both believers and nonbelievers quote is Matthew 7:1 "Just not lest ye be judged".   But they stop there and ignore the entire context of this pericope of verses about hypocritical judgment; in addition to ignoring the remainder of the first verse they quote.  To interpret this section you must read verses 1 through 5.  Simple example of how people corrupt the words of the bible to their own end.

People refuse to accept the judgment and wrath of God.  They refuse to be held accountable for their sins.  They refuse to grasp the depth of God's divine nature and the impact of sin upon their lives and others around them.  The refuse to acknowledge how God views sin.  Easier to remain ignorant and dismiss it or pretend it isn't there.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:32:10 PM »
MoS, do you see any particular significance to such an undeniable and strong attachment of "PRIDE!" to homosexuality?

Sure.

Homosexuality is an abomination to God.  They march proudly and defiantly in opposition to God shouting "LOVE TRUMPS HATE" and insisting their demands be met because they don't need or want God because they are their own little personal gods unto themselves.  In their pride they boast only in themselves and spit in God's face because to homosexuals their sinful love of each other is justified because it gives them "the feels".    They also chant "LOVE IS LOVE" and "LOVE WINS" as though the sheer utterance of the word "love" somehow provides justification for their sin.   It doesn't. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:28:25 PM »
Sure.

Homosexuality is an abomination to God.  They march proudly and defiantly in opposition to God shouting "LOVE TRUMPS HATE" and insisting their demands be met because they don't need or want God because they are their own little personal gods unto themselves.  In their pride they boast only in themselves and spit in God's face because to homosexuals their sinful love of each other is justified because it gives them "the feels".    They also chant "LOVE IS LOVE" and "LOVE WINS" as though the sheer utterance of the word "love" somehow provides justification for their sin.   It doesn't. 

It seems to be such a misfit word to use, from any perspective: religious or not, homosexual or not, whatever.  Doesn't make sense.

Thank you as always, MoS.  I appreciate it.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 05:42:10 PM »
It seems to be such a misfit word to use, from any perspective: religious or not, homosexual or not, whatever.  Doesn't make sense.

Thank you as always, MoS.  I appreciate it.

happy to help where I'm able to

Sizwe

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
Spoonfed believers are a definite product of the RCC.   The catechism dictated by the teaching magisterium wants biblical communication and interpretation filtered only through the papacy and down to individual churches.   It's a running joke for many years that Catholics neither read nor bring their bibles to mass because the priest will tell them all they need to know.
You've obviously never attended a Catholic mass and have a anti-Catholic ax to grind. Every day during mass there are readings from both the Old and New Testament.. And of course there is a teaching magisterium as there is only one truth for if scripture is left up to individual interpretation you end up with thousands of denominations like we have today. Even the 'non-denominational' church which you attend will have its own variation of the truth and tradition but just pretends not to.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
You've obviously never attended a Catholic mass and have a anti-Catholic ax to grind. Every day during mass there are readings from both the Old and New Testament.. And of course there is a teaching magisterium as there is only one truth for if scripture is left up to individual interpretation you end up with thousands of denominations like we have today. Even the 'non-denominational' church which you attend will have its own variation of the truth and tradition but just pretends not to.

Been to mass many times.  No ax to grind.  I know many Catholics all of whom are biblically illiterate.  I just don't believe scripture requires a guru for interpretation. The Holy Spirit is fully sufficient to provide understanding.  My church is a bible church and the head of that body is Christ.  Simple stuff. The vast majority of denominations differ in adiaphora not the gospel or other essentials.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »
Been to mass many times.  No ax to grind.  I know many Catholics all of whom are biblically illiterate.  I just don't believe scripture requires a guru for interpretation. The Holy Spirit is fully sufficient to provide understanding.  My church is a bible church and the head of that body is Christ.  Simple stuff. The vast majority of denominations differ in adiaphora not the gospel or other essentials.

On the biblically illiterate note, I don't have a lot of experience with Catholics and their beliefs, but I do with Christians and most, the vast majority that I've come in contact with couldn't pass a basic quiz on it but can tell you every single detail of the latest Dark Towers novel