Author Topic: How are your stocks doing  (Read 2977 times)

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
Re: How are your stocks doing
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2022, 05:46:33 PM »
He should've invested in more t-shirts and rustoleum.

:D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2022, 05:59:32 PM »
Stopped opening my retirement portfolios about three months ago.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2022, 06:22:26 PM »

I should have too. Not pretty.

delon

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2022, 03:02:05 AM »
Is Bill Ackman shorting Visa?

In the sorkin interview he was pretty forceful in saying no on that, which if he was on the sly would be pretty bad reputation wise for him given the issue at hand

Ackmans general take was scathing on the Fed and Administration but pretty positive on the economy as a whole, in other words assuming they attack inflation with conviction, short term will be rocky but hang in there

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2022, 03:08:40 AM »
Down 3%

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2022, 04:45:44 AM »
I'm down the same as the market because I have broad market exposure.

I have plenty of cash on the sidelines, so not worried.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2022, 05:12:24 AM »
In the sorkin interview he was pretty forceful in saying no on that, which if he was on the sly would be pretty bad reputation wise for him given the issue at hand

Ackmans general take was scathing on the Fed and Administration but pretty positive on the economy as a whole, in other words assuming they attack inflation with conviction, short term will be rocky but hang in there

True but he did admit that he would be funding the litigation against Visa.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2022, 05:13:43 AM »
I'm down the same as the market because I have broad market exposure.

I have plenty of cash on the sidelines, so not worried.

That cash is getting hammered by inflation.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2022, 05:45:48 AM »
OlympiaGym: I know. I just have a little cash so I can pay for a car repair or whatever is needed.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2022, 05:56:01 AM »
Anybody in the US look into I bonds for their cash? It keeps up with inflation, so the return at the moment is very good although it adjusts twice a year. You’re limited to only buying $10,000 a year electronically, but it’s worth doing that every year instead of having it sit in a high yield savings account making a little over 1%. The current I bond rate is 9.72%. You can’t take it out for a year, so I wouldn’t put money in there that you plan on using. If you take it out before 5 years, they penalize you by a couple months of interest but even that’s a lot better than a savings account. I have plenty in equities and always keep an emergency cash account but figured it would be smart to move $10K over to it every year. I only wouldn’t do this if you might need the cash immediately.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_iratesandterms.htm

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2022, 06:00:14 AM »
Rambone, I don't know a lot about bonds, but if you have a lot of assets then perhaps talk to a financial advisor.

There are a lot of differnet bond types and there is a chance you will be better off with just some normal government bonds.

Some people recommend BND which is a "total bond market" fund, but I was never convinced that was a good investment,

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2022, 06:03:39 AM »
Rambone, I don't know a lot about bonds, but if you have a lot of assets then perhaps talk to a financial advisor.

There are a lot of differnet bond types and there is a chance you will be better off with just some normal government bonds.

Some people recommend BND which is a "total bond market" fund, but I was never convinced that was a good investment,

No need. I’m pretty experienced. It was a post to help other getbiggers, not a post saying I was confused on how to manage my money. I do not own any bond funds since I’m not close to retirement. Bond funds aren’t attractive to me and aren’t yielding anything close to what I bonds offer. I bonds are a government bond by the way. It doesn’t get any safer than that.

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2022, 09:53:38 AM »
I gotcha. I was just curious. I like SCHD as a dividend etf although I don’t own it, but I might add it to my Roth in retirement to have some nice quality, tax-free dividend action. I’m all in IVV, QQQ and VTI with a few individual dogs stocks but no bonds. I’m also still in my 30s. I don’t think I’ll add any bonds until 5-10 years out from retirement and it would just be used in case the market takes a dump and I go through 3-5 years of cash and am looking to sell something other than equities at lows.

Looks like it is all US stuff, no international funds? Like I said I am not a finance guy, but when I did my own "research" there were some varying opinions on owning non-US funds as well for better breadth. I think US is outperforming now but hadn't pre2000s or so.

The QQQ looks like a bit higher expense ratio to my untrained eye.

I like the Ibonds idea. I had read about it before but never worried too much as inflation had been low and markets had been doing well. Will probably pull the trigger on doing that.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »
Looks like it is all US stuff, no international funds? Like I said I am not a finance guy, but when I did my own "research" there were some varying opinions on owning non-US funds as well for better breadth. I think US is outperforming now but hadn't pre2000s or so.

The QQQ looks like a bit higher expense ratio to my untrained eye.

I like the Ibonds idea. I had read about it before but never worried too much as inflation had been low and markets had been doing well. Will probably pull the trigger on doing that.

I believe the larger companies in the S&P provide enough international exposure in the worldwide economy. Nobody would call Apple a US only company. I don't have faith in Europe, and the only international holding I bought was MCHI (China ETF) after Biden got elected and it has gone down the crapper. QQQ actually isn't high at all at .2% and generally outperforms many of the popular managed funds out there when taxes and fees are considered. These funds are always tech heavy in bull markets, so QQQ does just as well but more efficiently. It may seem high compared to other index funds like IVV and VOO, but they're as low as it gets. Most suckers are in mutual funds getting rape by not only the fees but from a tax inefficiency standpoint. When you look at their performance you always have to take off 1-2% unless it's an index fund like VTSAX. Turnover is very high in managed funds and it's not worth it because 80% of them don't even keep up with the market.

https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/xnas/qqq/price

The slightly higher expense ratio is balanced out by the tax efficiency. It's very cheap to own. Cheaper than S&P etfs when factoring this in.

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2023, 03:57:46 AM »
Anyone trying to "time the market" about when to put money back in?

In the meantime, looks like money market accounts are paying about 4% and short term bonds are also at around 4%.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2023, 04:23:42 AM »

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2023, 04:39:37 AM »
OlympiaGym: I know. I just have a little cash so I can pay for a car repair or whatever is needed.

Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund (VMFXX) 4.29% yield
https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/mutual-funds/profile/vmfxx

Ally Bank Online Savings Account 3.30% yield
https://www.ally.com/bank/online-savings-account/

Other bank accounts have a nearly 0% yield.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2023, 04:44:22 AM »
I believe the larger companies in the S&P provide enough international exposure in the worldwide economy. Nobody would call Apple a US only company. I don't have faith in Europe, and the only international holding I bought was MCHI (China ETF) after Biden got elected and it has gone down the crapper. QQQ actually isn't high at all at .2% and generally outperforms many of the popular managed funds out there when taxes and fees are considered. These funds are always tech heavy in bull markets, so QQQ does just as well but more efficiently. It may seem high compared to other index funds like IVV and VOO, but they're as low as it gets. Most suckers are in mutual funds getting rape by not only the fees but from a tax inefficiency standpoint. When you look at their performance you always have to take off 1-2% unless it's an index fund like VTSAX. Turnover is very high in managed funds and it's not worth it because 80% of them don't even keep up with the market.

https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/xnas/qqq/price

The slightly higher expense ratio is balanced out by the tax efficiency. It's very cheap to own. Cheaper than S&P etfs when factoring this in.

This.  International stocks underperform US stocks long term.  International stock funds have higher expense ratios.  If you invest in a S&P 500 index fund or a total US stock market index fund such as VTSAX then you get plenty of international exposure, at a much lower expense ratio, and with a much better performance.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2023, 04:52:02 AM »
Anybody in the US look into I bonds for their cash? It keeps up with inflation, so the return at the moment is very good although it adjusts twice a year. You’re limited to only buying $10,000 a year electronically, but it’s worth doing that every year instead of having it sit in a high yield savings account making a little over 1%. The current I bond rate is 9.72%. You can’t take it out for a year, so I wouldn’t put money in there that you plan on using. If you take it out before 5 years, they penalize you by a couple months of interest but even that’s a lot better than a savings account. I have plenty in equities and always keep an emergency cash account but figured it would be smart to move $10K over to it every year. I only wouldn’t do this if you might need the cash immediately.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_iratesandterms.htm

Yes, I have been maxing out I bonds because of their very high yield in the current environment.

Things I don't like about them you mentioned above:  Limited to only $10,000 per person per year, with an additional $5,000 per household if you get a tax refund for at least that amount and you use it to buy an I Bond for that much.  It could be less than $5,000 if you choose.

I don't like that the money is locked away for 12 months.  I don't mind the early withdrawal penalty if you pull the money out between years 1 and 5.

I don't like the clunky, 90s era, TreasuryDirect website, the only place where you can buy I Bonds.

Other than that, they are a good place to park cash for a while, at least for now.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2023, 04:57:29 AM »
Yes, I have been maxing out I bonds because of their very high yield in the current environment.

Things I don't like about them you mentioned above:  Limited to only $10,000 per person per year, with an additional $5,000 per household if you get a tax refund for at least that amount and you use it to buy an I Bond for that much.  It could be less than $5,000 if you choose.

I don't like that the money is locked away for 12 months.  I don't mind the early withdrawal penalty if you pull the money out between years 1 and 5.

I don't like the clunky, 90s era, TreasuryDirect website, the only place where you can buy I Bonds.

Other than that, they are a good place to park cash for a while, at least for now.

I agree to everything you said. The site is lame. I wouldn’t expect anything less from the federal govt

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2023, 04:58:53 AM »
I agree to everything you said. The site is lame. I wouldn’t expect anything less from the federal govt

:D

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2023, 05:02:28 AM »
This.  International stocks underperform US stocks long term.  International stock funds have higher expense ratios.  If you invest in a S&P 500 index fund or a total US stock market index fund such as VTSAX then you get plenty of international exposure, at a much lower expense ratio, and with a much better performance.

John Bogle did not favor International Funds (as you know).

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2023, 05:16:49 AM »
John Bogle did not favor International Funds (as you know).

Eggxactly!  Neither does JL Collins.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2023, 07:24:49 AM »
Eggxactly!  Neither does JL Collins.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2023, 10:15:18 AM »

Same...

Ill wait to see if a Pubtard gets in, in 2024.
I still have 5 years to hopeful retirement at age 62, and 9 years if I decide to stick it out 'til 66.
Cant look at it now, it took a beating since Pant-Shitter came aboard the commie-train...