Author Topic: Mike Mentzer was a genius  (Read 19341 times)

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
Re: Mike Mentzer was a genius
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2023, 09:29:39 PM »
Man....I  don't know.

Mentzer was a bitter, cynical, burn out, who - simply put- didn't enjoy training.

As the 80's wore on and Arnold and bodybuilding reached  peak mainstream appeal, Mentzer was left behind....stuck in 1980, bleating about hit vs. Volume., 1980, conspiracy theories etc.. he just looked pathetic.....but what the hell else was he gonna do?

His faith in objectivity was partly his undoing. For Mentzer things had to make sense. Well, the world doesn't always make sense Mike. That reality was more weight than his soul could bare.

Far from a genius, a bit closer to a mad man.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2023, 01:22:18 AM »
No. 7-10 days
No, in one of his last videos he talks about a skinny client who he had training once every 21 days. His nut hugging followers John Little and Peter Sisco had a video training program out where they were telling clients they would get to the point where they would only have to train once every 6 months or even once every year! Static Contraction Training and Power Factor Training were both inspired by Mentzer's HIT.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2023, 11:07:59 AM »
He left because he lost and couldn't get over it.

Yeah because the ifbb is a popularity contest and not a bodybuilding contest

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2023, 11:29:07 AM »
Sipping on a frothy mug of warm piss right now in Mike’s honor

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2023, 02:40:08 PM »
Mentzer was a goofball and his ideas are nonsense.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2023, 03:23:17 PM »
Mentzer was a goofball and his ideas are nonsense.

Then why was he so jacked?

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2023, 04:23:52 PM »

The same reason as other "champs".  D R U G S.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2023, 04:53:54 PM »

This.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2023, 07:01:12 PM »

I take it you don't believe in very many training principles that don't involve drugs...

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2023, 07:10:51 PM »
I take it you don't believe in very many training principles that don't involve drugs...

No, I just know that the reason for any "top" bodybuilder from the mid '60s on is their drug protocol.  It can be as simple as 3 Dianabol a day or as simple-minded (i.e., STOOPID) as Dallas McCarver's regimen, i.e., really, reeeeeealy moron levels of drugs and dead because of congenital stupidity.

There does not seem to be any "moderation" in what today's "athletes" are willing to take.  Nick Walker is a waddling example of today's dipshits of the dais.  He is a zit covered maroon and who knows if he will live out another year or not.

And other than disgusting schmoes, who cares?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2023, 04:38:32 AM »

Mentzer's results are from drugs, not his supposed training methods.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2023, 05:05:55 AM »
Sipping on a frothy mug of warm piss right now in Mike’s honor

Ive always heard these stories.... running down the street naked,  drinking his own urine, trespassing at Art Jones property, homeless at one point? Arrested, institutionalized etc etc.... is any of it actually true?

If so what years was this? Mid to late 80's? Up til 83, 84 he was still writing his heavy duty stuff and mail-in training programs.  And by 92 he writing for Joe Weider again and even trained Dorian once or twice.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2023, 06:34:28 AM »
He took Arthur Jones info, refined it and was shunned for this but in the end, there's no doubt all things considered and equal Heavy Duty Training or HIT is the optimum training protocol for muscle growth. Note I said OPTIMUM.

I'm very glad he exposed the IFBB's and Arnold's corruption. And it's totally understandable why he walked away. Exposed the ads in the mags and their fake promises and lies. In the reasons all end in greed as the reason as always.

If Mentzer's training was the prevailing protocol and brief and infrequent trips were the norm, there'd be alot less hours spent in gyms and much more results and quicker assuming
nutrition was adequate for training and rest of 4-7 days after a session.  Genetic potential would be reached faster and 75% of the supplement industry wouldn't exist.

Mike was one of a kind and his contributions will reverberate for a long time.

Here's a gem for the gym.

In what way was mentzer a genuis? His ideas have been debunked long ago. No top elite bodybuilder, enhanced and natural, don't even use his methods. And yes that goes for Yates too.

If hit worked so well how come in 50 years it has never, ever proven what it promises. Even mentzer never practiced what he preached. They guy was out of shape most of the time because he was lazy. He wasn't a true bodybuilder. He built his body the conventional way, just look at his pics at 19. He had already most of the size from lifting high volume. Then he went into bodybuilding contests, got lucky on some wins but was mostly thrashed by better bodybuilders such as Zane, Szkalak, Coe, Dickerson and, of course, Arnold.

He regurgitated Ayn Rands nonsense which is a philosophy that should only appeal to disillusioned teenage boys. By the time they're 20 or over they should have grown out of that rubbish but not mentzer. He couldnt even come up with his own philosophy. The guy was a nut ball, certainly not a genuis. Even the golden era didn't like mentzer. They may say he was a nice guy, bit weird, but a nice guy. But that's it. None of them say mentzer was a fun guy to be around or he was the soul of the party. They're just being polite. The truth is most couldn't stand him as they would often get into debates with mentzer when he came up with his HIT rubbish. Just as Max_Rep about mentzer. Everything had to turn into a debate. The guy was so highly opinionated of hi self he thought he was better than he actually was.

There are far better bodybuilders to look up to instead of this failed human being. Yes, he was institutionalised. Yes, he was homeless for a while, he was living out of his car one point and was often seen car parks mumbling to himself. Yes, he wasn't good with money. He'd spend it thinking that his HIT courses would be a long term money making scheme. It wasn't. Hit died down in the 80's when it was found out what fraud it was and still is. He lost his money because he didn't invest. He lost his girlfriend who went on to bigger and better things. He ended up broke, out of shape, old and living with his ill brother in a small apartment in their late 40's. Does this all sound like a genuis to you? Certainly not me. He was a failed con man who should be long forgotten. He has done nothing for bodybuilding apart from crying about the 1980 olympia until his dying days. If you look up failure in the dictionary you'll see a pic of mentzer right by the word.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2023, 06:39:48 AM »

Ah yes, take an already built bodybuilder who trained in the conventional way and juices then use him in this joke of a "training" vid to sell the hit fad with mentzer coming across like some old, cranky, stroke victim. These vids are hilariously bad. Mentzer still trying to sell the hit gimmick when the rest of the world had already moved on.

Even today, hit charlatans like John Heart and John Little are still desperately trying to sell the hit gimmick but still can't provide any evidence of it working.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2023, 06:41:09 AM »
Dead on. Ironically natural trainers seem to train with (s)HIT more than anyone else and they gain the least from it. Naturals need more frequency rather than destroying themselves in 1 workout and then recovering for several days.

Natties needs more volume too as they're not enhanced. Most natties are undertraining these days hence why they look pathetic.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2023, 06:42:19 AM »
Why train everyday when you can train once a week??

Why once a week when you can train once a month? Or once a year? Or once a decade?

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2023, 06:43:35 AM »
Ive always heard these stories.... running down the street naked,  drinking his own urine, trespassing at Art Jones property, homeless at one point? Arrested, institutionalized etc etc.... is any of it actually true?

If so what years was this? Mid to late 80's? Up til 83, 84 he was still writing his heavy duty stuff and mail-in training programs.  And by 92 he writing for Joe Weider again and even trained Dorian once or twice.

Probably mostly not true. Ive adopted Tommywishbone’s opinion of Mike since he knew although I like to keep up with the urine folklore for personal amusement

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2023, 06:44:16 AM »
HIT like Dorian? It’s bullshit

Totally agree. Even Yates is a hit con man. He built his body the traditionally way too.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2023, 06:46:58 AM »
No, in one of his last videos he talks about a skinny client who he had training once every 21 days. His nut hugging followers John Little and Peter Sisco had a video training program out where they were telling clients they would get to the point where they would only have to train once every 6 months or even once every year! Static Contraction Training and Power Factor Training were both inspired by Mentzer's HIT.

John little is so full of it. He even claimed that Steve Reeves gained an additional 30 pounds of muscle by using hit one set to failure. I debated him and he lost then blocked me. Seems like little doesn't like being challenged on his bs and lies. A typical con man.

kepler2008

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2023, 07:05:07 AM »

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2023, 09:40:43 AM »
Would Ray be on the Mount Rushmore of dumbest bbers on the planet?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2023, 01:30:06 AM »
John little is so full of it. He even claimed that Steve Reeves gained an additional 30 pounds of muscle by using hit one set to failure. I debated him and he lost then blocked me. Seems like little doesn't like being challenged on his bs and lies. A typical con man.
Yes, Little blocks the comments of anyone disagreeing with him on his Youtube channel. I was banned a long time ago.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2023, 10:01:44 AM »
Probably mostly not true. Ive adopted Tommywishbone’s opinion of Mike since he knew although I like to keep up with the urine folklore for personal amusement

I know I've read TW's opinion before but can't recall exactly what he said.... said Mike was kind of quirky, moody, stand offish but not a bad dude all in all. Trained pretty much the same as everyone else? IIRC..

In what way was mentzer a genuis? His ideas have been debunked long ago. No top elite bodybuilder, enhanced and natural, don't even use his methods. And yes that goes for Yates too.

If hit worked so well how come in 50 years it has never, ever proven what it promises. Even mentzer never practiced what he preached. They guy was out of shape most of the time because he was lazy. He wasn't a true bodybuilder. He built his body the conventional way, just look at his pics at 19. He had already most of the size from lifting high volume. Then he went into bodybuilding contests, got lucky on some wins but was mostly thrashed by better bodybuilders such as Zane, Szkalak, Coe, Dickerson and, of course, Arnold.

He regurgitated Ayn Rands nonsense which is a philosophy that should only appeal to disillusioned teenage boys. By the time they're 20 or over they should have grown out of that rubbish but not mentzer
. He couldnt even come up with his own philosophy. The guy was a nut ball, certainly not a genuis. Even the golden era didn't like mentzer. They may say he was a nice guy, bit weird, but a nice guy. But that's it. None of them say mentzer was a fun guy to be around or he was the soul of the party. They're just being polite. The truth is most couldn't stand him as they would often get into debates with mentzer when he came up with his HIT rubbish. Just as Max_Rep about mentzer. Everything had to turn into a debate. The guy was so highly opinionated of hi self he thought he was better than he actually was.

There are far better bodybuilders to look up to instead of this failed human being. Yes, he was institutionalised. Yes, he was homeless for a while, he was living out of his car one point and was often seen car parks mumbling to himself. Yes, he wasn't good with money. He'd spend it thinking that his HIT courses would be a long term money making scheme. It wasn't. Hit died down in the 80's when it was found out what fraud it was and still is. He lost his money because he didn't invest. He lost his girlfriend who went on to bigger and better things. He ended up broke, out of shape, old and living with his ill brother in a small apartment in their late 40's. Does this all sound like a genuis to you? Certainly not me. He was a failed con man who should be long forgotten. He has done nothing for bodybuilding apart from crying about the 1980 olympia until his dying days. If you look up failure in the dictionary you'll see a pic of mentzer right by the word.

Agree with most of what you say.... but Ayn Rand 'rubbish' ? Have to disagree. Objectivism is a solid philosophy. While books like Anthem, Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead were just as insightful and precautionary as 1984 or Brave New World, just a tad over done, too long , too self indulgent but otherwise quality works.

Wayne Tracker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2023, 10:18:36 AM »

Great Genetics and Drugs
He built 90% of his mass with volume training and drugs as a teenager
Here is Mike at 19 and 195lbs

IroNat

• Getbig V