Author Topic: 200 pounds = how many grams protein per day required?  (Read 27523 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
200 pounds = how many grams protein per day required?
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:14:21 AM »
1.  A number

2. Reasoning

:)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: 200 pounds = how many grams protein per day required?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:18:20 AM »
1.  A number
2. Reasoning

I ask because I've never really bought into the 600-gram per day deal.  For the last few days tho, I've been out of food and just living on shakes - I mean 2 meals and 4 MRPs a day. 

Today, I got into the gym after a layoff of a few days, and I just did not tire.  Probably stronger than I have ever been on bench. I was using 225 for reps on flat bench (nice and slow, touching chest everytime), and where I usually wear out at 8 or 9 reps, I just kept going up to 15 reps. 

Is this due to the protein?  And if so - excuse my simple Qs - what EXACTLY does protein do?  Aids in recovery, right? 

Purge_WTF

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 11:36:47 AM »
  The ultra-high protein diet is for chemically-enhanced athletes, because steroids help to increase the protein-turnover rate. If you're training naturally, you only need 1-1.5 grams of protein, spread over 5-6 meals. And yes, it's one of the main proponents in muscle recovery and repair.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »
  The ultra-high protein diet is for chemically-enhanced athletes, because steroids help to increase the protein-turnover rate. If you're training naturally, you only need 1-1.5 grams of protein, spread over 5-6 meals. And yes, it's one of the main proponents in muscle recovery and repair.

i agree...one of the main benefits of being "on" is increased protein synthesis.

the general rule of thumb would be 1g protein per pound for maintenance and 1.5 is you are trying to build lean muscle tissue.

keep with the protein shakes...3 a day is good...1 post workouk and 1 nighttime shake are a must.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 07:57:46 PM »

I've gone as high as 500 grams of protein, but that has only been for a short period of time (4-6 weeks).

Keep in mind that, even if you go that route, it's a gradual thing. You don't go from eating 300-350 grams to 500-600 in one shot. You go up gradually. When I first broke the 240 mark, I went up from 350 to 375 for several weeks, then to 400, 450, and eventually to 500.

And, it was subtle changes: a scoop of protein powder with my weight gainers shakes (first with just the homemade shakes, later with the Mega Mass shakes), going from large eggs to extra large eggs to jumbo eggs, etc.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 08:48:10 PM »
100 grams.   It's all you need.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 08:54:35 PM »
100 grams.   It's all you need.

.....if you want to weigh 100 lbs.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 09:03:38 PM »

its such a joke its not even woth having the discussion.

good luck with 100g protein diet...lol

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 09:03:53 PM »

no you just eat more carbs and fat.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »
Continue to suffer cooking and eating plain meat and drinking disgusting shakes every 2 hours, I don't care.

240, pm Adonis, he'll give you a good diet that you will get results each week with.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 09:08:49 PM »
no you just eat more carbs and fat.

I ate more protein than that back in high school, when I weighed 142. Yet, now some 90 pounds later, I'm supposed to reduce my protein content, especially considering it took 375-400 grams of protein just to get me over 200 lbs (and I ate  more carbs than I do now, just from the weight gainer I used).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 09:12:58 PM »
Continue to suffer cooking and eating plain meat and drinking disgusting shakes every 2 hours, I don't care.

240, pm Adonis, he'll give you a good diet that you will get results each week with.

What makes you think I eat "plain meat" and drink "disgusting" shakes? Curry beef and lemon-pepper chicken are two examples of the type of meals I have for lunch. The shakes I was taking back in college were so sweet, I went about 2 years without eating any candy. The ones I take now taste fairly good, especially the chocolate fudge version of MyoPlex.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 12:42:12 AM »
i guess the new TA/bast talk got em thinking a little bout the numbers.  TA lost a lot of fat eating ice cream.  That's incredible.

Dball

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 08:34:02 AM »
rob

did you see the amount of muscle ta lost?  he could have come in ten pounds heavier had he eaten the proper amount of protien, i promise.  dont listen to the crap bast and ta hype about ice cream and crap.  ta fashions himself a new age mike mentzer, a calorie is a calorie, crap.

please understand that no matter how much protien you eat at one sitting, your body can only assimilate about 35-40 grams at a time.  if i were you, at 200 pounds, i would take in 350 grams a day to be able to assimilate about 250-300 grams.  use slower digesting protiens at night.  i would even drink two glasses of water right before bed, and when you wake up and have to pee at night, eat a cup of cottage cheese to get a constant amino drip throughout the night.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 09:20:17 AM »
rob

did you see the amount of muscle ta lost?  he could have come in ten pounds heavier had he eaten the proper amount of protien, i promise.  dont listen to the crap bast and ta hype about ice cream and crap.  ta fashions himself a new age mike mentzer, a calorie is a calorie, crap.

please understand that no matter how much protien you eat at one sitting, your body can only assimilate about 35-40 grams at a time.  if i were you, at 200 pounds, i would take in 350 grams a day to be able to assimilate about 250-300 grams.  use slower digesting protiens at night.  i would even drink two glasses of water right before bed, and when you wake up and have to pee at night, eat a cup of cottage cheese to get a constant amino drip throughout the night.

I actaully was heavier this year then when I dieted with about 300-350 grams of protein last year.

I was also a lot leaner too.  Just thought you should know that.

Dball

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 09:30:28 AM »
how heavy are you now?

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 10:01:51 AM »
I ask because I've never really bought into the 600-gram per day deal.  For the last few days tho, I've been out of food and just living on shakes - I mean 2 meals and 4 MRPs a day. 

Today, I got into the gym after a layoff of a few days, and I just did not tire.  Probably stronger than I have ever been on bench. I was using 225 for reps on flat bench (nice and slow, touching chest everytime), and where I usually wear out at 8 or 9 reps, I just kept going up to 15 reps. 

Is this due to the protein?  And if so - excuse my simple Qs - what EXACTLY does protein do?  Aids in recovery, right? 

Yes it will aid in recovery, but your strength could have just as easily been from the layoff. I wouldn't focus so much on shakes. For me 200 grm of protein from solid food is a better option than 200 grms from shakes. That being said 2 shakes a day sounds about right, post workout and before bed or post workout and first thing in the morning. Try keeping your intake high from solid foods and throw in a scoop or two here and there throughout the day when you need it most.

Also remember to vary your protein sources - I usually have protein from chicken, tuna, almonds, in addition to shakes almost every day...

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 10:54:51 AM »
much more than 1-1.grams pp of body weight is a waste for a natural. the extra will end up around your waist and in the toilet.  200 per day in 5 or 6 meals is plenty.
X

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 01:06:42 PM »
In my experience, if you expand six feedings to ten and include night time protein (liver tabs and/or aminos and/or low fat cottage cheese) up to 300g per day can be taken in by a 200 lb individual without adeverse affects on body fat composition.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 10:05:50 PM »
I ate more protein than that back in high school, when I weighed 142. Yet, now some 90 pounds later, I'm supposed to reduce my protein content, especially considering it took 375-400 grams of protein just to get me over 200 lbs (and I ate  more carbs than I do now, just from the weight gainer I used).

Yes if you want to lose that 90lbs of fat that you have gained since high school you will need to stop forcing yourself to consume mass quantities of protein powders and dried up chicken breast.  Do you think you can make that kind of sacrifice?  Here's an incentive: you will be able to see your penis without the aid of a mirror.

mental_masturbator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 10:47:03 PM »
1.  A number

2. Reasoning

Figuring 0.82 g per lb bodyweight (google "Dr. Peter Lemon, protein") then 164 grams of protein per day should be sufficient to build mass...if calories are high, above maintenance.  Eating a bit more protein probably wouldn't hurt, say up to 200 grams.  The recommendations for 2g or higher per lb bodyweight are extreme, IMO, and will probably just make one's wallet lighter. ^_^

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 02:11:52 AM »
Figuring 0.82 g per lb bodyweight (google "Dr. Peter Lemon, protein") then 164 grams of protein per day should be sufficient to build mass...if calories are high, above maintenance.  Eating a bit more protein probably wouldn't hurt, say up to 200 grams.  The recommendations for 2g or higher per lb bodyweight are extreme, IMO, and will probably just make one's wallet lighter. ^_^

240... all these posters are throwing around the "1g-1.5g" of protein per pound of bodyweight... the actual amount you need is 1g-1.5g per pound of LEAN bodyweight...

for example, if you weight 200lbs at 16% BF you would need a maximum of 252g of protein per day.  you are better off filling the rest of your daily calories with healthy fats and complex carbs

while the TA diet (eating shit while restricting calories) might lead to fat loss it WILL NOT MAKE YOU HEALTHY....  in fact i think it will lead to severe health issues in the future including high blood pressure, type II diabetes and high cholesterol...

anyway... that's my opinion

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 03:39:11 AM »

240... all these posters are throwing around the "1g-1.5g" of protein per pound of bodyweight... the actual amount you need is 1g-1.5g per pound of LEAN bodyweight...

True..
I have other (governments) studies who recommend about 1,4 to 1,7 g a kilo, but the test was conducted with endurance-athletes.
1 gram each lbs sounds enough.

The stupidous advices that tell you to use well over 2 grams each pounds is a waste of time. If you don't eat enough carbohydrates, you will burn protein.
The funny thing is that if it breaks down it acts partially as a fat. The reason why high-protein diets make you burn extra fat.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 04:06:01 AM »
Yes if you want to lose that 90lbs of fat that you have gained since high school you will need to stop forcing yourself to consume mass quantities of protein powders and dried up chicken breast.  Do you think you can make that kind of sacrifice?  Here's an incentive: you will be able to see your penis without the aid of a mirror.

I DON'T THINK SO! Perhaps, you should tell my abdominals that there's 90 lbs of fat on my body. I'm not ripped at this bodyweight. But, I've NEVER had anywhere near that much fat on me at any time in my life.

The simple fact is I know how much protein my body needs. And, when I get that much protein, I get the results I want, which is why I don't blubber about being a "hardgainer".

It's much easier to find some study that says you need low amounts of protein or bleat and whine about higher protein intake being for people using anabolics. You guys keep it up, while I ingest the groceries and get the gains I desire.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 08:25:32 AM »
Perhaps, you should tell my abdominals that there's 90 lbs of fat on my body. I'm not ripped at this bodyweight.

I'd be happy to pass the message along just as soon as I find your abs.