Author Topic: home-invasion robberies stir Jupiter Farms residents to action  (Read 886 times)

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
JUPITER FARMS — A trio of would-be robbers who shuffled up a front yard on Alexander Run with a pump-action shotgun last week had the misfortune of confronting an armed homeowner in the driveway. He stared them down until they ran off.

But if they had tried one of the neighbors instead in the rural Jupiter Farms enclave, they might not have had much better luck. In the house next door lives a Vietnam veteran with heavy firepower in his bedroom. At the two houses across the street, the homeowners were packing heat too.

It's no secret that much of an unincorporated swath of pine tree-studded acre lots, elegant mini-mansions, rugged ranch homes and rural individualism - is heavily armed. And after two brazen home-invasion robberies and one attempt earlier this month, some residents are buying new bullets and brushing up on Florida's self-defense laws.

"If they get inside my house they'll die," vowed Joe Melchiosse, a Vietnam vet and air-conditioning repair worker who lives next-door to the site of the attempted robbery. "At least they'll get hurt."

At a Jupiter Farms homeowners association meeting Thursday night, more than 400 packed in to listen to Palm Beach County Sheriff's officials describe their investigation into the robberies, in which masked gunmen stormed into occupied, unlocked homes and in one case stole several weapons.

Deputies advised residents to lock their doors, trim oversized shrubs and be vigilant. Many residents grilled deputies about the state's Castle Doctrine law, which declares people's right to use lethal force to defend themselves on their property.

Deputies told attendees that if someone comes into their house unwelcomed, it is presumed they mean them harm. But they warned that the decision to shoot and potentially kill someone is not an easy one.

"It is a life changing moment that will affect the rest of your life," one sheriff's official told the crowd.

But it was clear many were in no mood to negotiate with trespassers. The crowd burst into applause and cheers when a Jupiter Farms resident stood and advised the other residents to gun down intruders.

"We all have guns in our house," the man said. "If you have an armed intruder in your house, shoot him."

For decades, residents say Jupiter Farms has remained a safe, low-key place to live, a place where people raise horses, chickens and even cattle and until recent years even main roads weren't paved. Most people's idea of crime, as one resident put it, was teens taking a baseball bat to a mailbox.

To many, the recent spate of home invasions have served as one more reminder that the county is growing.

"I think Jupiter is just not as small as it used to be," said Trent Bongard, co-owner of Bongard Nursery in Jupiter Farms, where a theft of several plants last week was first crime at the nursery since it opened seven years ago.

But some residents are concerned about excessive vigilantism. What happens, they wonder, if someone innocent gets hurt?

"I don't want our own community, our own residents to hurt themselves," said Albert Rabadan, vice president of the Jupiter Farms Homeowners Association. "I just hope there's no tragedies."

Whether or not the armed robbers are caught, many say the days of leaving front doors and car doors open in Jupiter Farms may soon be a thing of the past.

And at one Jupiter Farms gun store, where the owner asked not to be named, sales this week were up.

Staff writer Julius Whigham II and staff researcher Niels Heimeriks contributed to this story.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/brazen-home-invasion-robberies-stir-jupiter-farms-residents-742526.html

RIP Bob Probert

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: home-invasion robberies stir Jupiter Farms residents to action
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:58:46 AM »
+1 for the 2nd ammendment! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:05:38 AM »
+1 for the 2nd ammendment! 

Dumpling - I have a question for you. 

I have a tricked out Remi 870 and a Saiga 12.  I tried both out at the trap range and was not doing too well as the Remi is only a 18 inch barrell with collapsable stock, etc.  The Saiga is for the safe once they ban that thing. 

anyway, I am looking for a shotgun to do basic trap and hunting and have narrowed it down to the following:

1.  Remi 870 Wingmaster
2.  Remi 1100
3.  Benelli

Thoughts? 

BTW -they had a guin show near me for the first time in years and Glock had a booth and I was talking to the rep about my shooting.  i shoot better with the G26 subcompact than my full sized G17.  He said people often shoot better with sub compacts than full frames.  any idea why?   

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:17:57 AM »
Dumpling - I have a question for you. 

I have a tricked out Remi 870 and a Saiga 12.  I tried both out at the trap range and was not doing too well as the Remi is only a 18 inch barrell with collapsable stock, etc.  The Saiga is for the safe once they ban that thing. 

anyway, I am looking for a shotgun to do basic trap and hunting and have narrowed it down to the following:

1.  Remi 870 Wingmaster
2.  Remi 1100
3.  Benelli

Thoughts? 

BTW -they had a guin show near me for the first time in years and Glock had a booth and I was talking to the rep about my shooting.  i shoot better with the G26 subcompact than my full sized G17.  He said people often shoot better with sub compacts than full frames.  any idea why?   

1.  I prefer the Wingmaster as I'm just a huge fan of the simplicity of a good pump shotgun.  What type of hunting will you be doing?  Small game, medium game, birds?  You also can't go wrong with the Remington 100 or the Benelli.  They are both great semi autos.  If you are going to be hunting birds then I would probably go with the semi...if just for trap and skeet and other game then stay with the pump.  I just went clay shooting this past weekend too!  I just took my 870 and went to town!  Busting singles and doubles with it. 

Last but not least, 870 barrels are a snap to change out...just buy a 28" barrel and put it on there when you go clay shooting. 

2.  That's the first I have ever heard of that.  Most people shoot better with full size firearms because of the longer sight radius and because a bigger gun usually has more weight which allows for better control from recoil.  In your case it's probably just with the way the grip fits in your hand.  It also might be if your G26 is a different generation then your G17.  The texture on the frames might "grip" you differently.  You're a decent sized guy...if you like shooting your G26 more power to you, but you shouldn't have any trouble carrying a full size gun.  You should look into that. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »
*You Like This

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »
*You Like This

Some of us would love it if you went to Jupiter Farms and broke into one of their homes.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »

"If they get inside my house they'll die,"
vowed Joe Melchiosse, a Vietnam vet and air-conditioning repair worker who lives next-door to the site of the attempted robbery. "At least they'll get hurt."

Many residents grilled deputies about the state's Castle Doctrine law, which declares people's right to use lethal force to defend themselves on their property.

Deputies told attendees that if someone comes into their house unwelcomed, it is presumed they mean them harm. But they warned that the decision to shoot and potentially kill someone is not an easy one.

Straight words right there. A man should have the right to defend his property/family from criminals.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »
Some of us would love it if you went to Jupiter Farms and broke into one of their homes.

???

I was doing the whole Facebook thing.  There isn't a "you like this" tag on getbig, or I'd click it.  I love this article and wish every household in america was as vigiliant as these americans are. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »
???

I was doing the whole Facebook thing.  There isn't a "you like this" tag on getbig, or I'd click it.  I love this article and wish every household in america was as vigiliant as these americans are. 

Sorry. I thought you were being sarcastic.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
Sorry. I thought you were being sarcastic.

oh no, i'm all about the 2nd amendment.  In FL, we have home invasions a lot.  I feel the same way as these guys.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
This is the credo at my castle. 

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
This is the credo at my castle. 

Hope my advice was sufficient.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
Bump for 333's purchase.   ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 09:31:52 AM »
Bump for 333's purchase.   ;D

I've been trying to locate a 870 Wingmaster, but cant find one.  I'm thinking of getting the Benelli Supernova 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
 ;D